Who created God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Saint, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

LOL! LOL!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Here's a clue. We see non sequiturs frequently on these boards!.

Godless

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

If atheists simply empathised they would have no business at a religions forum - in fact, an atheist would have nothing to state.

Unfortunately though, the theist mindset makes its way into society and has far-reaching affects on peoples lives, mine for example. Hence, I take serious opposition to this issue as do many others.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

I assume here you refer to the current state of the atheist (lack of) belief system? So educate me then; is there a difference between a lack of belief and a lack of disbelief or are they the same thing?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Work it out between yourselves will you?

8. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

No, I was refering to this, one of the most retarded, absurd, pathetic statements ever to grace Sciforums (Cesspool included):

"As atheists impose their belief that there is no God they will similarly impose thier beleif that life is meaningless and all should die."

Did I mention the fact that it was your statement?

Well, that would depend on the particular belief, wouldn't it?

9. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Exactly, and my use of "belief" is intended. Is that not what you referred to when you referenced non sequitur ("belief" without "lack of") or did you want me to quote the definition at your benefit?
    No, not in my mind. How so? Provide examples please as you must have knowledge of at least two by your statement of dependence.

10. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

Nevermind, it's obviously hopeless.

Dude (a) has a lack of disbelief in a deity which commands him to kill everyone in sight. Slowly. Dude (a) follows his lack of disbelief.

Dude (b) has a lack of belief in a deity which commands him to kill everyone in sight. Slowly. Dude (b) follows his lack of belief.

Can you see the difference now? The people in sight of dude (a) would surely appreciate it.

11. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

The question is were you referring to that or not? Simply answer yes or no; simple isn't it?
    I did not ask of the consequences of the belief or lack of belief my friend; I asked of the difference between having a lack of belief and a lack of disbelief. I mean the qualitative differences - those will highlight if they are the same or they are different.

You can replace the "deity which commands to kill" with a "deity which does not command to kill [or commands to save from death in fact]" and the outcomes while different result from the same mindsets. Try again; What is the difference between a lack of belief and a lack of disbelief ignoring the potential consequences?

Also, can you provide a situation in which they are the same thing?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  12. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

What are you implying here? Are you implying that dude (a), due to his lack of disbelief will kill everyone in sight? This would mean lack of disbelief = belief, no? But then if lack of disbelief is equivalent to belief why would lack of belief be not equivalent to disbelief? Clarify your position please, atheism hangs in the balance.

13. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

No. Wow, that was simple, indeed.

Lack of belief: Dude (a) doesn't believe.

Lack of disbelief: Dude (b) believes.

You are aware of the commonly accepted meanings of "lack of", "belief", and "disbelief", right? (Or, at the very least, the meaning of "dude"?).

A little help, just in case:

Disbelief
    From Wiktionary
    English
    Noun
    disbelief (plural: disbeliefs)
    the condition of not believing

Belief
    From Wiktionary
    English
    Noun
    belief (plural: beliefs)

Mental acceptance of a claim as truth without evidence.

Nope.

14. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

It obviously would be. You realize that you are rambling, right? Are you feeling all right, man?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Similarly, you are already presuming god does not exist such that you would reduce god to a simple belief.

In the same way that I presume god does not exist would similarily be to that of a toddler not presuming gods exist. Am I to also presume you were born a Christian?

But one must have a blank slate to start with, as everyone does when they're born.

Nice try but you must realise that the "lack of belief" claim is a pretty botched up patch...

We are talking about athiests not requiring a need to believe, not "lack of belief." Pay attention.

and the blind man analogy is still of veritable relevance.

If you so emphatically and undeniably state thusly.... I'll be forced to agree with you.

if an individual, say a non-scientific layman, doesn't believe that positrons exist are they necessary for the individual's existence?

Pleading ignorance is no defence.

You still apply one sided logic as if your disbelief (lack of belief) is of any dominant veracity as opposed to the opposing belief (belief).

I already told you before I am unable to comprehend the dogmatic mindset, equally as you're unable to comprehend the atheist.

If there be a need to believe, one can fill their boots from a large assortment of gods all vying for the spotlight. You may claim yours is the one and only god, but so will a muslim for Allah.

But if one were to see that the physical universe simply exists, one does not need to believe in gods. And that is the true nature of atheism.

The need to believe.

16. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

*It obviously would be. You realize that you are rambling, right? Are you feeling all right, man?

basically he should have just looked at the meaning of non sequirtu.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur

G

17. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

The archaeoraptor. "A Chinese paleontologist proved that someone had glued a dinosaur to a primitive bird. He created it to resemble just what the scientists had been looking for....Fakes are coming out of these fossil beds all the time because the fossil dealers know there's big money in it. I remained skeptical about that charge until I subsequently read an interview with ornithologist Alan Feduccia, an evolutionary biologist....Feduccia said Archaeoraptor is just the tip of the iceberg. There are scores of fake fossils out there, and they have cast a dark shadow over the whole field. When you go to these fossil shows, it's difficult to tell which ones are faked and which ones are not. I have heard there is a fake-fossil factory in northeast China, in Liaoning Province, near the deposits where many of these recent alleged feathered dinosaurs were found...Money. The Chinese fossil trade has become a big business. These fossil forgeries have been sold on the black market for years now, huge sums of money. Anyone who can produce a good fake stands to profit." (Lee Strobel, The Case for a Creator)

Don't forget Alan is an evolutionary biologist and has nothing to gain or lose by stating this fact.

Is all of this evidence fact? No, some evidence still has to pass the scutiny of the scientific community.

That is a little optimistic since money is a good motivator to create a good fake. Alan says it is difficult to distinguish from real fossils at shows because they are so good.

It goes further than relgion. Look at some members of the associated press who accepted false evidence as fact because they believed in their theory.

Every evolutionary finding is under scrutiny by theist scientists. I've already named a several, and I will continue to name ex-evolutionary and credited scientists who follow the evidence where it leads.

Go to http://www.google.com and type allan rex sandage christian and you get more than six hits.

"Even skeptics on the panels conceded the shortcomings of naturalistic explanations. Their main response was only to challenge the theists to provide scientific answers instead of merely invoking the idea of intelligent design." (Lee Strobel)

Until you can prove that they didn't say this, I'll accept the report from a journalist. People are known to be misquoted. I'll give you that. Usually when people are misquoted, they call the journalist and get the facts straight.

That's too bad, so you are saying that an evolutionist's evidence and research could be wrong. That is very scientific of you to admit.

I didn't say most, I said many.
    Do you represent the scientific community when you speak for them like this?

Is everything that supports evolution fact?

Many parts, including the Icons and the fossil record are not yet fact.

Let me rephrase and illustrate, although there is a mountain of evidence supporting macroevolution, conclusive evidence that ends the argument has yet to be found. Fact is not a fact until the research is completed AND accepted by the WHOLE community. I may have a dog leash, dog shampoo, dog food, dog droppings, a dog comb, a dog bath, etc. but I do not have a dog until everyone says that I have a dog, regardless of if I actually have one or not. When everyone has seen my dog, it becomes fact.

A huge problem of evolution is that one person started saying, "We all have a common ancestor." Some scientists said, "Oh, you are right, I see your evidence. It is fact." And before the whole community accepts it, it is printed in textbooks the world over as 100% fact, when evolutionists even on this forum said that they realize the odds are very small that we were created by random chance and natural selection. They followed saying that Creationism has a 0% chance (I don't know where their data is), but the point is that an unlikely theory is not fact just because it is the best solution available. That is just until everyone accepts it as fact. If 999 out of 1000 people said to me that I am an idiot, the chances are very high that I am. But still, it is not a fact until 100% say that I am. Science at its core is the search for truth without a limit on the possibility. It is not scientific to accept anything until it is 100% true. The true scientist is objective, patient, and skeptical. Anything else is a belief, more closely kin to religion.

Clearly, many evolutionists will say anything to prop-up their assertions - lies and deciet are not beneath them. Anyone with an ounce of rationale will easily come to the same conclusion.

Are lies beneath anyone?

Are you gullible and/or dogmatic? Who says you aren't? I'm not arrogant. Who can say that I am or that I am not? Not me, but people around me.

My point is that people who believe in Darwinism are not excused from the norm.

18. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

The problem with reason and rationale to govern our actions is that morality is relative to the individual's selected method of ethics as well as the situation. Without a universal morality system that is black and white (like the ten commandments), morals shift and change. If morals shift and change, then it is logical to say that there is a chance that what was deemed immoral today will be deemed as moral tomorrow. In fact, the black and white lines have already started to grey and we question what is right or wrong. No one has a definitive answer, so injustices are commited every day.

The only solution to give a universal morality system is to teach only one set of ethics and enforce it with laws and regulations. The ten commandments are being taken out of America. If America wants God out, I will cry, but it is OUR America, NOT MINE alone. Take it out if the majority wants it out, but put something in its place.

19. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Hitler is not any different than "Christians" today. They use the word of God to their own means. They put God into a box to be used to justify their sins. Hitler is alive and well in the lives of many "Christians." You can see them everywhere. It is no wonder many are turned off by the word. A few months back I was in debate with "Hitler" over their use of scriptures to justify their homosexuallity. Something so plain in scriptures, but yet so bad they want to sin. This was a woman who was a lesbian "Christian" preacher. It's no wonder in my mind why any rational man would not want any part of this.

Pack that up as an excuse, in case you can use that, when and if you meet God.

20. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Amen sister,

Now we're getting somewhere. Someone who actually might see things like I do!

21. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

How many are named Steve?

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/4023_the_press_release_2_16_2003.asp
    http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/3697_the_list_2_16_2003.asp

Even smart people can be wrong, particularly when they have an emotional stake in the answer.

Strobel presents himself as a skeptic taking an honest look at Evolution. He is not. This is just another book in a series of Christian apologetics. It's wasn't the first, it wasn't the last.

Agreed. But neither is accepting unfounded hypotheses as revolutionary scientific theory. Question away. Keep trying. I applaud the effort. But until you have some evidence it is unscientific to state that the irreducible complexity hypothesis has any scientific merit.

This isn't a book club. Present the arguments yourself.

~Raithere

22. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't apply it to the Universe at large, no. Evolutionary processes occur in life on Earth.

I've no idea what your getting at here.

Again, I have no idea what you're saying. Are you telling me that because we are intelligent and have free will that we have some kind of ESP that can detect God?

They are assumptions. It's a supposition of truth, not verified. That is what assumption means.

Show me God. Then we can debate whether God has the attributes necessary to be first cause. Otherwise God is merely an unnecessary assumption.

No that wasn't what I was saying. What I am saying is that the only thing necessary for meaning is that we have more than one thing. There is no requisite, unless you'd like to provide an argument, which states that an absolute is necessary for meaning to exist.

Where's your argument? All we have so far is you assertion that this is true. You just want me to take your word for it? Sorry. No.

Again, where is your argument?

Are you talking about an emotional or intellectual inability? Or do you mean there is a logical necessity? Thus far you haven't demonstrated anything. You're just ranting about God.

But you're arbitrarily assigning all sorts of attributes to the First Cause and making it into God. Why? How do you know that the first cause isn't simply a background energy fluctuation without personality, will, intelligence, or purpose?

I've yet to see an argument. Thus far, my conclusion is that it cannot.

I've already stated that I operate under certain assumptions. I've no problem with you operating under different assumptions. But if you're going to try to argue God existence logically, you cannot simply opt out at some point by saying that logic doesn't apply to God. You might as well just start off saying that your belief is illogical and leave it at that. I have no argument there.

~Raithere

23. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Yes. There have been some forgeries. They were discovered to be forgeries by the scientists who examined the fossils. Fortunately, there have been many more discoveries that have proven not to be forgeries.

Oh, and the fossils that were put together to build the forgery were valuable in their own right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1248079.stm

Of course, the fossil record will neither prove nor disprove the facts Evolution which stand on their own. You could dismiss the entire archeological record and still you would have proof of evolution. Rebuilding the history of evolutionary change on Earth is a different matter. It is much more theoretical (although there are mountains of evidence).

This type of argument is like saying that the Pyramids don't exist because we don't know everything about how they were built.

Science is not confirmed by polls. And theories never turn into facts.

Nothing is ever 100% true in science. The most evinced laws of science are only presumed true until there is a finding that contradicts them.

~Raithere