Who is your favorite music band?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by certified psycho, Oct 20, 2003.

1. devboy Summertime Romantic... Registered Senior Member

Interpol, Interpol is so much better the Linkin Park. Linkin Park needs to pass 3rd grade spelling. God,... Linkin Park sucks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tctjh Registered Member

dr. louis,

You really shouldnt criticize before you listen to the band

THE DARKNESS=WORLD DOMINATION

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well now that practically nobody is following this thread I'll post mine. Sorry, I can only limit it to one per decade.

2000s: Audioslave
    1990s: Garbage
    1980s: The Cult
    1970s: Black Sabbath
    1960s: Jimi Hendrix
    1950s: Hank Williams
    Pre-1950s: Benny Goodman

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

ewww. Audio slave sucks. and Garbage are garbage

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well OK. I've loved music my whole life and have a lot of favorite bands. (I was there when Hank Williams's material was current, but not Benny Goodman.) Those bands pretty much won a coin toss. Here are a couple of others that may have better luck winning your approval:

2000s: Korn, Evanescence
    1990s: Paula Cole, Filter

I'm trying hard to avoid listing some of my really beloved performers that I discovered in the used CD bins, who are so obscure most of you wouldn't recognize them, like Leah Andreone, Morley, or Alana Davis.

9. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

my favorite artists:

radiohead
    the smashing pumpkins
    manson
    elliott
    hum

(too hard to pick just one.)

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

After being given this encouragement to think about it: If I had to pick only one, it would be Brian Ferry.

11. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

oh god, Korn

even more shitter

12. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

Why bother listening to bands? Most of your modern interests will probably phase out over years. Try something that will stay with you, such as a composer.

13. Brandon432003 Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA...I'm going to start a thread asking everyone to post their favorite bands....so I can then proceed to slam them for it. HAHAHAHAHA

14. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

hahahaha

. you do that brandon

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well I'm so sorry that you don't seem to like any band except Linkin Park. I think they're just fine but I happen to like some other bands better. I thought you might relate to Korn more than Audioslave because they belong to that same "depressed and angry but articulate" school of music, like Linkin Park, Staind, Godsmack, Evanescence, Nine Inch Nails, and Type O Negative. Excuse me for breathing your air. I think I'll log off now and go listen to "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." I have to remind myself of who set the standard for this genre of music.

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Morello could play the guitar in circles around Linkin Park guitarists. I suggest you first listen to them before you shut them out and Garbage is a lot more respected than Linkin Park is. Face it, beyond catchy songs Linkin Park is your by the books tragedy band with over grown cry babies....but goddamn them they make some catchy ass songs I like listening to.

But to compare the skills of Audioslave's members against Linkin Park is ludacris. Chester may be able to scream but Cornell can peel the paint of the walls when he lets loose. He has the most recognizable voice in the industry today along with one of the most pertienet guitarists of the 90s, Tom Morello.

While not shitty (their eccentric distorted bass playing is unique) it is disheartening that after 5 albums their sound remains the same. You'd think after 5 albums the lead would get rid of some of his issues by now but no...same old songs about pain and hurt and so on and so forth. As it stand "Follow the leader" is their best album so far IMO.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  17. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

okay fine then maybe i should listen to their music before i should playahate.

but still korn still sucks

18. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

//Sabbath Bloody Sabbath." //

Completely agree. None of the bands now come close to touching Black Sabbath.
    Sabbra Cadabbra, War Pigs, Hand of Doom, Into the Void.... surreal stuff.

19. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Not really, Metallica kicks ass

20. Brandon432003 Registered Senior Member

You mean USED TO kick ass. Like maybe 15 years ago...

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Not that any band I've mentioned on this site has ever been well received...

phish!
    medeski martin and wood
    led zeppelin (okay, so this one will be well received)

the above are my three mainstays, they have been my top three for a while and I don't see it changing soon. Below are ones that may possibly leave, and for the time being aren't in the range of the above three (in no particular order)...

grateful dead
    the meters
    umphrey's mcgee
    galactic
    garaj mahal
    jimi hendrix
    zakir hussain (not a band, but a brilliant musician)
    duke ellington

jimi hendrix fans/phishheads/deadheads, if you want a chance at something cool, and don't yet know what the word "Furthur" means - pm me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Okay, now simply because I haven't posted much here in the last while and I feel like talking about how dumb the rest of you are (yes, it's sarcasm, don't get all pissy) --- here are the bands you've all listed that I think suck shit.

linkin park. (i) every song sounds the same. (ii) whiny, bitchy lyrics that only dumbass teenagers fall for. (iii) every song sucks!

pat metheny. Okay, so it's much better than a lot of the other shite that's been posted, but dude, I can't stand pat. For one, it's boring jazz. For it's time I'm sure it was genius, but I mean, come on! In the 70s Shakti was around if you really need that kind of jazz. And Zakir is the master, so Shakti takes Pat by a mile! Plus, I have a special hatred for metheny because when I've been in Europe, EVERY GODDAMN music store's jazz section is filled with this. I can't find anything original/new/good!!!

sigur ros. boring.

incubus. boring.

darkness. okay so they're not the worst - or even shit - but they're ridiculously over rated. Whenever I hear/see them (which is fairly frequently, my sister loves them as does a good friend) I can't help but think they're doing this all as a joke, making fun of Van Halen and such. If they aren't, they're just kind of weak. For starters, having the lead guitarist be the singer in that kind of band sucks shit. It means no cool solos underneath the singing. And the only solos he does do are short and very, very cliche.

interpol. boring, standard music.

audioslave. Dude. Please.

manson. On principle alone I can't stand him. There once was a band called Marilyn Manson. Then people started to refer to the singer as Manson. So he went along with the image. It's like David Bowie for depressed kids.

Thank you kindly, I love you all...

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I felt good for a minute there. Someone sprang to Audioslave's defense with a very articulate explanation. I agree that Chris Cornell and Tom Morello are both gifted, highly versatile artists. Not one hit wonders either, both shined in their previous bands. But now you come along again and dismiss them -- just like the Psycho, without a word of explanation.

Come on now, "dude," the level of this discourse has risen. You've got to say something more than just "I don't like them so I hereby decree that they suck."

As for the other interesting comments... I still won't pick on the Psycho for his love of Linkin Park. His inability to articulate why he doesn't like our music, yes, but his love of Linkin Park, no.

"In the End" was a masterpiece that touched a lot of people. Even if it was a one-hit wonder, it qualifies them for greatness. DJ's say that in most years, with no coordination, just synergy, one song becomes the anthem of the entire nation's high school graduating class. "In the End" was it for that year. Easy to see why, "I've tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn't really matter," says a lot about today's high school experience. So anyone's irrational love of Linkin Park may be the result of having that one song etched in their soul forever. I say: let them be.

Besides, the video for "In the End" is one top two or three videos, indeed one of the very few even decent videos, of the past ten years.

Metallica, yeah, of course. If you'd bugged me long enough I would certainly have eventually thrown their name in the ring. And Black Sabbath, thanks for the support on that one. Interestingly enough, we discovered Metallica about twenty years ago... on their "Master of Puppets" tour when they opened for Ozzy Osbourne in Long Beach! What a double bill!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004