Who was Jesus talking to when he said...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Apr 29, 2007.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yahweh as in "nameless"...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alabaster Registered Member

Actually, Jesus was calling out to God, the Father, who, at that very moment had to turn away from His son, because of our sin--the sin and disease of the entire world was laid on Him, which separated Him from His Father...unbearable. God is holy and cannot behold sin, hence the fulfillment of the prophecy that He would become the curse for us. He died for us, in our place. Not accepting Jesus, we will have to pay for our sin ourselves.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Besides the fact jesus was probably not real, that allegory is scapegoating and nothing more and nothing less. Humans like to find someone to pay the price, be the lightning rod, scapegoat, blame etc. Actually something quite negative masked and prettified and embellished as something other through contrived rationalization and storytelling.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What the Hell are you talking about?

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Mod note: Please do not discuss personal beliefs in Comparative Religion. We have Religion subforum for that.

9. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

This is a common misuse of Ockham's proposal. His proposal was that it made sense to test theories moving from the simpler (less entities) to the more complex. It is a methodological proposal and not a metaphysical one. Adn he was clear about this. We all know examples of situations where complex phenomena were discovered adn there are many in the history of science itself where some people thought this or that was more complex and this turned out to be the case. Reducing O's Razor to something like the simpler explanation is more likely to be true is both a misunderstanding of Sir O and not very good thinking. It is also bad science.

10. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Is there a way to answer the title question of this thread without expressing a personal belief? (meaning, perhaps this thread should be moved over to religion. It also does not seem very comparative.)

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If we accept for the point of argument
    that jesus was god become man

Here he had become man
    to the extent that he was doubting Gods existence.

It is a cry of dispair.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course. There are many gods available to choose from and that's the subject of CR, i.e., which god was Jesus addressing based on the linguistic interpretation. Personal belief has very little to do with this.

13. Alabaster Registered Member

Seeing as Jesus was referring to God as His Father, we must believe He was referring to Jehovah, El Elyon, The Most High God.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

We have a discussion here whether the god of Jesus was Jehovah.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

sounds like word-ology...like numerology. The attempt to find meaning in radomn convergences of either word fragments or aligned numbers. Both should never be applied to the bible which is an easily translatable text.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with you in this in relation to the starting post of this thread, reminds me of numerology where everything can be concluded from anything.

17. Saquist Banned Banned

whoa...that was very well said..."everything can be concluded from anything."

18. Alabaster Registered Member

Yeah, a lot of people are good at doing that. Where does it get anyone? There are absolutes.

19. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

OK. I thought comparative religion would mean that we would compare facets of different religions. I would have thought discussions of one facet of one religion would fit better on Religion.

I don't think the Bible is clear who Jesus is referring to: if he is God then it is to himself, if he is a facet of God then he is talking to another part of himself, and so on. Every answer I think will be a personal opinion even if you consider it an opinion about linguistics, I can't see it as anything other than a theological interpretation based on personal belief.

But I'll bow out here since you clearly have thought about it and more debate will distract.

20. Alabaster Registered Member

"Eli, Eli" means, "My God, My God".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  21. Learned Hand Registered Senior Member

Uhh, Jesus did not speak Greek. He spoke an ancient Arabic dialect. That dialect does not have a Greek etymology, so you're looking at it backwards. Don't confuse people simply because there was no equivalent translation.

Linguistically, "to forsake" is not synonymous with "to abandon." To forsake is passive, and denotes an implication that another has not kept a promise; to abandon is active, and means that one has been left without anything.

My answer is simple. Even the Son of Man had to experience death with doubt in his heart (as had and do many people), or else he could not open the gates of heaven as the Messiah.

Peace be with you.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

I concur. There have to be absolutes. Otherwise we're living in a pretty arbitrary world with no real definitions. While this comforts certain ones...It is know to be culturely obscure.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member