Why are the war criminals "always" on the losing side?"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Whirlwind, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Whirlwind Banned Banned

Since the Nuremberg Trials of 1945, people have discussed the possibility of addressing the punishment of all "WAR CRIMINALS - on the losing and winning sides of a war.

Some have argued that justice should not be a TWO FACED farce but address all crimes committed by both sides.

What do you think?

Whirlwind....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. crazy151drinker Registered Senior Member

I think youre first going to have to Define "War Crime"

What ever the 'crime' it would have to be intentional. Usually War Crimes are considered intentional mass exterminations of civlians and ethic people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. crazy151drinker Registered Senior Member

For example, Saddam gassing the Kurds. Not, "Bush started a war that I dont like....."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

If I supplied that gas, would I be up on potential charges of being an accessory?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why are the war criminals "always" on the losing side?

'cause crime doesn't pay, and evil always loses. Didn't you learn anything from superman?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

That's a great example. Bring me the members of the Reagan and the First Bush Administration responsible for bankrolling this mass-murderer. Hell, if a charitable donation can get you busted for supporting tyrants and terrorists, how about providing the equipment necessary to carry out atrocious operations?
    What a straw-man. Nobody argues that. It's a lot more substantial to argue that Bush started a war by violating international agreements and foisting fraudulent justification on the world; furthermore, he conducted the war in violation of the Geneva conventions.

American War Criminals:

• George W. Bush
    • Donald Rumsfeld
    • Colin Powell

That's just the preliminary list that doesn't account for the "minor" things like shooting the odd civilian or violating POW rules.

And speaking of POW's ... oh, wait ... that's right, "enemy combatants ....'

Criminal? George W. Bush.

Additionally, all the commanding staff carrying out his orders in these instances are criminals as well, and at some point the necessity of closure will forgive the grunt-level soldiers whose judgment is necessarily clouded by the mountains of carnage and fire around them.

Hey, we've got the same attitude in America that everyone else seems to have: You don't like it? Come and get us. Bring it on! God is on our side!

And yet we get so tremendously pissed off when someone does bring it. Irrationally so. And that irrationality leads our leaders to commit war crimes that will only be punished if we manage to "lose" this war--a possibility not beyond imagination.

10. Whirlwind Banned Banned

Whirlwind responds.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Tell me why the Vietnam war should be any different. There the war criminals lost the war and yet they were not prosecuted.

Saddam gassed the Kurds with the chemical weapons the Ronald Wilson Reagan provided. Does this make the US an accessory to mass murder - and why not?

In Palestine the US provides the weapons used to murder, maim, wound and displace the civilian victims of this unjust war. So should the US be prosecuted - and why not?

The victims of the US' use of Agent Orange (toxins) has resulted in a multi-billion dollar suite against the US/Monsanto, should heads roll and billions be paid - and why not?

In Panama the US invaded the counrty to kidnapp Manuel Noriega and in the process killed 6,000 Panamainians - should these "war crimes" be prosecuted?

BTW: What I learned from Superman is that he who uses telephone booths to get into his fighting gear is now, kaput, out of business!

Whirlwind....

11. foucaulteco Registered Senior Member

Bomber Harris a so called hero ( I can't get the picture of a gapeing arsehole out of my heaD) THIS PIECE OF SHIT BOMBED DRESDEN, a non military civilian target, just normal germans going about their business, who even if they all dissagreed with Hitler couldn't have done anything about it, just civillians like you and me or Sharif or Abdul or Win lee doug in North Korea etc... this fucker Harris CARPET BOMBED and INCINERATED a whole CIVILIAN city and a few years ago they errected a monument to him in London.
    If german had won the war (thank fuck they didn't) Harris would definately been at Nuremberg/Harrogate?
    Bush should be strung up by the balls and made to drink oil.
    Mark (I'm so pissed off with the US ATM) Aurelius.

12. Hesomagari Registered Senior Member

Well see, Mark Aurelius,

You have to make and example of them. Go and and flatten Falluja, you know?

Kick ass, and the local families will learn to love you.

sarcasm off. I too am pissed at USATM

13. Leviticus Banned Banned

if you lose you are a war criminal

if you win you are a war hero.

this is becasue whoever wins obviouly didnt get along with the other side, thus band them with these sorts of names. nowadays though, people are being a bit more objective about it and trying their own people for it
    (yay democracy)

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I would agree with you leviticus. The winner writes the history after all. It is not really fair most of the time.

BTW, why not go ahead and accuse Bush of being a war criminal in front of an international court? Or whoever else you want tried. It is not impossible.

15. Spyke Registered Senior Member

I don't remember any surrender ceremony.

16. Whirlwind Banned Banned

It's called the Vietnam Wall, dummy!

Whirlwind....

17. Even a tragic farce like the Vietnam War served the purpose of discouraging the imperial ambitions of the Chinese at the same time that we were fighting another "cold war" with the Russians. Who knows which countries revolution they might have supported without the specter of another 25 years of war to consider.

18. Spyke Registered Senior Member

We have monuments honoring the dead of all of our wars.

19. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Not true, Spyke. What about my fallen commrades on this side of the line? The brave pushers and addicts that fought the good fight in the never-ending war on drugs?

20. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Then I suggest it would be up to the people on your side of the line to erect your own monuments to your fallen addcits and pushers. I would point out that they've produced some movies in their honor, such as Blow and Homegrown, so maybe they'll get around to erecting a marble bong somewhere in DC sometime in the future. :m:

21. jps Valued Senior Member

You can only be tried for breaking a law if the society that created the law is powerful enough to apprehend you and hold you.
    Obviously the losing side in a war is not going to be powerful enough to apprehend and hold officers of the winning side.

Henry Kissinger is widely regarded as a war criminal outside the United States, and cannot travel to much of Europe. However he continues to be a respected statesmen in the US. This will not change, as the US being the most powerful country in the world cannot be forced to consder the laws of less powerful countries. If the situation were reversed, the US would have sent commandos in to capture, him knowing that whatever country he was hiding in could not do anything about it.

Look at what's happening in Iraq. The US has thousands of captive Iraqis. They are captive for everything from attacking the soldiers of the people occupying their country to organizing labor strikes.
    Now, recently some Iraqis managed to capture a US soldier and offerred to trade him for some captive Iraqi's. The US response? "We don't negotiate with hostage takers"
    Thats right. The US has thousands of people imprisoned in Iraq, none of whom has any legal recourse and none of whom are facing trial and they are claiming the moral high ground against people who take hostages.
    Is this reasonable? clearly not, but in Iraq, the US has the most power, therefore the US is the law.

22. Whirlwind Banned Banned

Ahhhh, a deep thinker!

I guess this is why Bush abrogated the US' committment to the International Crimes Court (ICC) protocols that Clinton had already endorsed.

This Bush, REALLY HAS A CRIMINAL MENTALITY, huh folks?

Whirlwind....

Note: Reagan and Rumsfeld "supplied" the chemicals (c/o Israel) that Iraq used in his war against the Iranian's and the Kurd's in northern Iraq. (Of- course, Rummy perfers to forget "the good 'ol days" in order to keep the "piece" [of Iraq

I mean]).

23. DoctorNO Ultra Electro Agnostic Registered Senior Member

A person is innocent until proven guilty. Plain & Simple.

Youll have to convict these people first before you can name them "criminals"

• George W. Bush
    • Donald Rumsfeld
    • Colin Powell