Why Are We Ashamed of Being Naked?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by TruthSeeker, Aug 9, 2004.

?

Are You Ashamed of Being Naked?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. the preacher fur is loose 666 Registered Senior Member

I was born with a top hat and tails on (sarcasm).
    what's wrong with a little nakedness.

Oxygen:
    when I sit in front of the computer, I have to be careful that tha cat does'nt think, that my plums are a couple of bobbles, to play with, (can you imagine jumping of your chair with a cat hanging by a claw...ouch).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

fear of nakedness is an ingrained sciological state
    It's also bloody cold!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arditezza Banned Banned

Not if you keep your heat on. =)

I don't mind being naked in the slightest. I sleep that way at home, and find it most comfortable. I also never had a problem in spas in Europe.

My mom finds it obscene when I don't wear shoes and socks. I hate shoes and socks unless I am at work where it is required. I don't want my pretty feet deformed by wearing shoes all the time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. bigal Registered Senior Member

The day you are not afraid to be naked, is the day you have nothing to hide.

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's the natural result of a simple mind. When we grow up, we tend to become more conscious about ourselves, and that is why we cover ourselves. That is probably one of the greatest misunderstandings in religion. The reason why Adam and Eve cover up themselves is because they become conscious beings. Conscious specially with themselves. They lose their simplicity and innocence, and as a result, they need to hide themselves. That's one of the greatest "secrets" in the Bible. They are not just people that lived a long time ago, they are like... archetypes of our own life stories. It's very simple. I wonder why people complicate it so much....

And, of course, the media...

If I would live alone, I would probably walk around naked at home. But I have a roomate. So... it gets complicated, ya know?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even more because I'm male and she is female...

But if she would feel comfortable with it..... sure thing I would...

9. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

good thread, I have been thinking about that also, after all, we were born naked, our ancestors were naked, and the original purpose of the invention of cloths is to preserve body heat in regions of colder climates, then after a period of time, wearing cloths has become a unbreakable rule and tradition and habit, those who choose to show their body in its nature form are condemned and suppressed, what's with that? is there anything wrong with flesh? or certain parts of flesh?
    in arts, nudity is common because it proclaims that it is body in its true self, in science, naked body is merely tissues and flesh, why in society do we traditionally prohibit this kind of nudity? I would not choose to take my clothes off in public, yet I do not have a problem with nudity. what's with this conflicting psychology?

10. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Yea!! you trip on your massive johnson! I can relate to that.

I'm not afraid to be naked, nor do I feel ashamed of my nakedness, fact is that's how I sleep.

Godless.

11. Lazewski King of The Cynicals Registered Senior Member

this thread is full of disastrous mental images

12. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

I used to be ashamed of being naked until giving birth to my children.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

This is rather an interesting thread. i can remember being ashamed to be naked as a teen. because I never ended up being naked and comfortable in some critical forming years of my youth. I didn't even shower at gym, because then I had to be naked.

Oh, how I changed. I really don't care anymore. Communcal showers? Who cares. Communal sauna? Ok. The cleaning lady comes into the men's locker room when I am standing there naked drying myself. Good for her. Look the other way if it bothers you.

I sleep naked too mostly nowadays (in the winter not always because of the temperature).

So at an early age I was comfortable, than as a teen I became uncomfortable and now I am comfortable again.

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I ruined my knees bikeriding, and so I have to wear a PJ to bed, always, or I get mean cramps in my legs. I also feel rather cold if I don't wear two shirts (must be the climate). I do mind being naked.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yeah.... I've thought about that before, but I always forgot to ask it...

Ahhh... I gues the only mproblem is that some parts are more elastic then others...

Well... in my case I usually sleep with PJs... But that's just because I stay with PJs at night and I shouldn't scare my roomate...

16. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

The answer to "Why are we ashamed of being naked" is easy.

We've grown up in a society that labels some body characteristics as "beautiful" and "sexy". Anything else is considered "ugly".

We are critical of ourselves. If we don't fit the image of beauty, we may see ourselves as somewhat ugly. Therefore, we don't like being naked, cuz other people would be able to see what we see: a less-than-sexy body.

Of course, there are some people that just don't care.

I think humans first started wearing clothes cuz they were warm. People that lived in prehistoric Europe had to survive in the cold climate, so they bundled up. The people that stayed in Africa didn't have to worry about this. This is why ya can see a few scantily-clad people in Africa nowadays.

Somewhere along the line, we got so used to wearing clothing that it became just as natural to wear clothes as it was to wear none.

17. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

So it's either religion, society, or the climate. I wonder which came first? But why did we evolve clothes rather than fur? Was the little tuft at the top enough during those first few winters to make people move to colder climates and get - no, still not fur - but white skins?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  18. espadsam Registered Senior Member

I think being clothed is alright. But, some people feel more comfortable being naked. Yes, it has to do with people being "sexier" or whatever than others. This is a big deal to the less attractive people

19. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Furry humans? Now that's a thought

20. espadsam Registered Senior Member

Let people be naked if they want, it isn't hurting them.

21. antisipatience waiting for something Registered Senior Member

society has manipulated us into fear machines.
    that will answer many of your questions.

dont give in to the manipulation.
    open your minds

22. espadsam Registered Senior Member

Truthseeker, empty some of your messages. Your out of space.

23. Most of fear of nakedness comes from conditioning, but part of it comes, as a defense mechanism clothes are much more effective than crossed arms. I know a guy who does not like to run around without his shirt on and have had a girlfriend who thought that I was improper for going to the pool without a shirt. I have lost most of my modesty through out the years and would be a nudist in the summer if it weren’t for those stinking cops.