Why doesn't weed get me high anymore?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oniw17, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatniggazave Registered Member

I made an account to post on this because of all the misinformation on this esteemed site by almost all members except S.A.M. Basically, all actions you do, such as riding a bicycle or shooting a free throw, builds pathways in your brain. The more you do a certain action, the stronger the pathways get and the easier said action becomes. This is why, as the saying goes, "practice makes perfect." The stronger these connections become, the more used to the action your body becomes, allowing it to perform the action easier and with less focus.

Also, the little tiny parts of your brain that allow you to get high, your cannibinoid receptors, get more used to the effects of the high, the more marijuana you smoke. SWIM smoked everyday for the past two years and can't get nearly as high as they used to. No one can. This is an effect of long term frequent use of most drugs; however, harder drugs, such as heroin, have a much unhealthier reason why. Whereas cannibinoid receptors just get used to the effects of THC and the high, therefore making them less noticeable and much more containable, Heroin actually wears away at it's receptors, numbing and killing them over time, and hurting the brain. This is why no matter how long of a tolerance break you take from these harder drugs, you still won't get the high back. With marijuana, if you take a break from smoking for a moderatly short period of time, the effects of the high you want, such as the stronger motor impairment and the giggling, will come back. They won't ever be as strong as the very beginning, because now you know what to expect with the high. The effects will however increase drastically.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Well, swim can't smoke anymore. Should swim take so much as two tokes, swim will have a great fall, and then not even the king's horses, nor the king's men, will be able to put swim back together again.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

One resorts to intoxicants in order to suppress the awareness of some problem - "trying to drown one's worries in alcohol."
    Still, it is precisely trying to suppress the awareness of some problem that keeps said awareness alive. Which is how intoxicants don't always accomplish what the person using them intended them to do.

IOW, the progressively greater tolerance for (some) intoxicants has important psychological, philosophical, practical aspects. Ignoring those aspects, and instead focusing only on the physiological aspect of that greater tolerance, is incomplete understanding of the issue at hand.

In the end, either the drugs, or your problems kill you - as long as you don't resolve the problems.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

You have a very good sense of humor or sarcasm. Either that or very poor eyesight. :shrug:

That is one scenario, but it is wrong to extend a limited case to all cases. Some people drink wine with their meals because the local water is bad. Some people take cannabis to stop the nausea from cancer chemo treatments.

It is often handy to have a variety of brushes with which to paint so that one doesn't always have to use such a big one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I haven't been smoking weed for many years now, which is kind of sad. Not as a choice, just lack of supplyers and money, and while I couldn't get any I got my life in order instead and started working out and an finally going to take a drivers license, but wonder if it would still have little to no effect after so many years of smoking it before, or if it would be like the first time if I would smoke again?

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I haven't smoked the stuff in more than a decade. The last time I did smoke it, a friend had spent the night. His weed was so potent I couldn't take more than a couple hits of the stuff, yet he smoked it from the time he woke till the time he went to bed. I think people simply build up a tolerance to the stuff. Moderation is the key if you want to continue smoking it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Again, if one chooses to consume cannabis for whatever reason, please consider using a vaporizer instead of smoking it.

Burning vegetable matter like wood, paper, tobacco or cannabis produces toxic chemicals that can produce physiologic/medical problems if inhaled. Burning also reduces the active ingredients by about 52%, replacing those with such as carbon monoxide, styrene, anthracine, acetone and carbon particles, none of which are good for you.

A good review of many differing vaporizers is available from the vapor critic at:

http://www.vapecritic.com/

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Cool devices. Yes, but you're right, smoking is bad either way. I don't smoke tobacco normally, but became a tobacco smoker as a side effect of smoking weed, but also quit that when I quit smoking weed. I also used to maked cookies and put it in food, which also makes it more potent. It's actually a waste to smoke it as it is.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I agree, being a long - time ex - smoker myself.

Many folks use 'medibles', as in "medical edibles" in order to uptake cannabis. Many cannabis dispensaries carry such things as gum drops, cookies and lollypops with a strictly measured amount of the active ingredients in each food item for just such pupose.

The editor of Better Homes and Gardens bought some poppy seeds, grew them out and made tea with the dried seed pods in order to consume raw, unrefined opium. He said it just sort - of calmed him down and gave him a very mild high. Since the poppy resin is suspended in the plants latex body fluid, I would think that smoking it would be kind - of nasty, but tea would be another thing altogether.

I urge caution, moderation and safety in whatever one consumes or does.

13. agarwaen_82 Registered Member

How's that going?

Hey, i'm going through the same stuff, what happened? today is my first day without smoking, and the last two batches just didn't feel the same, as you said... i do relax, but it's just not the same, it's not trippy, it's just a spa day (like a told a friend, i just get stupid and can't work, but i don't get the fun part)... i used to love listening to pink floyd, king crimson, swans, and such.... but now they're just.... still awesome, but in a non trippy way.... so, anyway, i'm bored and starting to say stupid things, so i leave you to you're things... hopefully you see this and can tell me your experience.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Not being able to comprehend a menu is not getting high.
    That is a stupor.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Thread closed due to severe Necromancy.

(Anyone wishing to discuss the topic should open a new thread)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.