Why humans smell bad and kill grass with feces

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Emmveepee, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mardener Registered Senior Member

I think eating your own shit is one of those past-times you experience and then a second later think, that was a shit idea.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I read somewhere that dogs' intestines are quite short and the bacteria in it doesn't have enough time to do whatever it does as the food passes through it, so they eat feaces to bolster the bacteria count, or something like that anyway.

I think the reason that dogs have a propensity to roll around in shit or anything that smells foul is to give themselves a smelly sort of camouflage, so that downwind so to speak, a predator would smell the shit and not the dog.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Tablaridim:
    Camoflauge from what?

Lions?
    Wolves are seen smeareing themselves right before they enter their pack, with their tails tucked but stinking to hell of hot shit.
    The others will smell him and rarely bother him.
    Is this camoflauge?
    It looks more like a gift offering or a bus pass.

If it is camoflauge from predators, then why do wolves do it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Ok, maybe it's not camouflage from predators but camouflage from prey. They want to cover their own odours so their prey won't be alarmed by their scent. This way they
    can sneak up on their prey and have a better chance of making a kill.

8. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

As explained to me by a biology teacher, the dog's digestive system is not efficient enough to get all nutrients out of the feces the first time through, so eating feces is just a way to gather nutrients.

9. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Soo....he'll eat nutrient deficient feces from other dogs to supplement his nutrient deficiency?

That's like taking arsenic to cure hemlock.

Tableredim:
    That still does not make sense.

A key point to camouflage is to remain hidden. The smell of blood on a tigress would certainly give her away.
    The smell of blood or feces on wolves would do the same thing.
    So why say camouflage?

The main reason why felines, for example, hide their waste is too keep their smell hidden and by doing so, made untraceable back to them.
    To say that a dog or a wolf rolls in feces for camaflouge is to say he puts bells on and sings when his goal is to hide.

Something else I've noticed in the female dogs and the weak beta males (shit thou not): they eat dirt.
    I've never seen the alpha eat dirt or roll in shit.
    But all the females and betas do.

They dig a hole in ground that is wet, preferably clay, and scratch at the stuff with their teeth to eat it.
    So, so far what I've noticed in corprophagia:

Roll in shit.
    Eat dirt.

Huh?! I cannot connect the two. Why?

We can land a man on the moon, but not cure common cold or explain Fido rolling in shit.
    Insanities.

10. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

To a dog, all feces are is a pile of bacteria

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Dogs eat shit. No, it's not because their feaces don't contain enough nutrients, but because their feaces are only partly digested due to their short gut, so, by eating their own shit they are able to absorb more nutrients by the more easily digestible dung, it probably tastes good too.

They roll around in shit or anything which smells really bad actually, so that as they creep up on their prey downwind their own doggie smell is 'camouflaged'. The prey can smell the shit or the dead animal that the dog rolled around in and will not get unduly worried. Of course, given that this is common pactice amongst wolves/dogs, it does make one wonder why the prey hasn't cottoned on to the idea that dog/wolf = shit/obnoxious smell.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I know all this is true because I researched it on the internet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, but seriously, it does make sense to me. :m:

12. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Is that why Werewolves smell so bad at parties and family gatherings?

Novacane