Why was PhysicsForums.com so lame? (in 2004)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jozen-Bo, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

I've been there, it is rather boring and dull. The moderators apparently do not tolerate differences in opinion and expect of their members to be obedient clumps of clay for their own molding and sculpting. They lack the ability to discuss many things and appear confined and lame...limited in their ability to think.

To make matters worse, they have started a thread about the Sciforums:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=13846

where they criticize these forums, saying that the members are rude, that we are allowed to swear, and other garbage. I find the moderators there to be very rude, small-minded, petty, arrogant, and considering themselves more important then they really are,; note that moderators there both started this slanderous thread and carried on with it.

You can not have a good conversation with these people. They will tell you what you HAVE to think and how and if you don't you get banned. That is lame, it sucks, it is pathetic.

The members here may be rude at times, but they are able to discuss a much wider array of topics and speak much more honestly then there, where speech is confined and limited. What does not saying crap or fuck have to do with physics...really? Limited sissy talk...blah.

And then they compare, self-proclaiming their forum as the best forum on the internet...so I am comparing in return. I rate the Sci forums a 10 (on a scale of 1 to 10), a fun place with diverse members and opinions which is far more open minded then the physics forums...which I rate a -10 for sucking ass as much as they do.

I'll give it to them they have a collection of physics...that is as far as it goes. The sci forums also have physics, but many other scientific categories too. The moderators here do not ban people so loosely, and though they are strongly opinionated, they listen and communicate and accept that the members do not need to think like they do, which is apparently a requirement for remaining a member at the physics forums...conform or be banned. BS!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The thread on that board is 5 years old. I clicked on the link, and moths actually started flying out of my computer.

Why complain about it here and not there?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

I missed the moths...too many mothballs in my computer...thanks!

I would bring this up there, except I'd be promptly banned in no time...plus the boringness of that place might...bore me. I guess since they aren't currently debasing the sci forums, I won't concern myself with defending the sci forums. Still, those forums are painfully boring.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Because their jokes are like this?

8. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(puts hand on forehead to ease the pain...)

Was that really a joke...

what a joke that joke was...

lame...

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The physicists would be rolling in the aisles/

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then just don't go "there".

They do not come to other forums and express their angst over what is being said in them, do they?:shrug:

11. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

No. Though they did debase the sci forums 5 years ago...as that link reveals...

And...no...I don't go there...I've BEEN there...that was enough...

12. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Help...

I wonder what BentHeman might think of that one???

13. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Now that was funny.

14. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I thought "Bent Heman" was kinda funny. It makes me think of the Masters of the Universe.....except sorta hunched over

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Here's the latest physics forum joke.

Q How many Time Lords does it take to change a light bulb?
    A None, because Gallifrey no longer exists.
    :yay:

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Shouldn't it be "one to hold the bulb, the other to turn the universe"?

17. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Actually, I lol'ed at the Entropy joke.

But I like physics, I find it fascinating... but I am very much an observer and I like to learn about it because I'm not knowledgeable enough to actually discuss physics theorem.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol !

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Q Which element do right wing Christians hate?

A. Sodiumy

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The main difference between physicsforums and here is that they want a more or less "pure" science site there. They don't tolerate pseudoscience in the same way that we do, and they have stricter moderation.

I have no problem with this at all. Why should all sites be the same? I am a member at physicsforums and I visit there every now and then. If I had a complicated question about physics, especially advanced physics, I'd go there rather than here. There are definitely more highly qualified physicists there than here.

I'd say the environment here is generally more friendly than it is there, though. It depends what you're looking for.

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

You display a glaring ignorance of science.
    There is no room for opinion when it comes to physics, by definition.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That's not exactly true, glaucon. There are differences of opinion in physics, just as in all sciences.

23. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Strictly speaking, that's true of course.
    To be more precise, I was referring to physics as a methodological process.
    While differences in opinion with respect to which hypothesis and/or theory one wishes to adhere to may occur, invariably, the approach to verification remains more or less constant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.