wormholes for comunication

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by bob, Aug 29, 1999.

1. bob Registered Member

Heres my idea.
    A wormhole is opened just molecules in diameter, and then a laser or radio waves relay a signal through that wormhole to a reciever in earth orbit. While i havnt done the math i imagine this would be at a practical energy level.
    I can see som problems already though:
    1.Wormholes might not be able to open that small.
    2. A hole in space time might bend/disprupt the radio waves or laser.
    3. Still needs to much energy to keep open, or to open in the first place

Still if it works the benifits for interstellar missions would be huge, and any feedback on this subject is appreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Wrong on counts 1) and 2). Absolutely right on count 3) (well, actually, you would need <u>negative</u> energy to keep it open, and no such thing has even been seen (and probably doesn't exist). So I wouldn't hold my breath.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited August 29, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Plato Registered Senior Member

About the worm holes,

Have you read the new Foundation trilogy by Benford, Bear and Brin ? In the first novel Benford talkes about just such a way of communication.
    Granted there are wormholes then a laserbeam would indeed be a good way to expand the Web over interstellar distances.

Boris,
    give the theoretical physicians some slack here, may be negative mass sounds very exotic now but so did the neutrino when Fermi proposed it to solve the appearent violation of energy conservation in a radio active decay reaction. I mean, how deranged can you get, saying that there exists a particle but that there is no way you can detect it !

------------------
    "If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants."
    Isaac Newton

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shorty Registered Member

If you were thinking of using any of these methods to transfer information through a wormhole, you would first have to figure out how to make these lasers, ect., travel faster than light. The reason why is because the center of a worm hole is simply a singulalrity of a black hole that has opened up space time and joined two different areas together. And as you know, it takes a faster than light speed to escape from a black hole.

------------------
    I'm really not a shorty.

8. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Shorty:

If there's a singularity in the middle of a 'wormhole' blocking passage from one side to the other, then what you've got is not really a wormhole. To create a real wormhole out of a black hole, the black hole would have to be rapidly spinning. In spinning black holes, the singularity is no longer a point, but rather a ring -- so you can indeed pass right through the ring's center and come out the other side. Of course, the other side would have to be a white hole, otherwise you'll never make it out toward the outside of the event horizon. A more 'reasonable' way of making wormholes doesn't involve black holes at all; rather you 'simply' enlarge one of the naturally-occurring supermicroscopic wormholes found in the quantum foam at sub-Planck scales, by pumping negative energy down its throat. Child's play, if you ask me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

9. bob Registered Member

Excuse the ignorance, but while i've heard of white holes i've never heard what they are or how they are formed.
    Anyone care to explain?

10. schredinger Registered Member

WHITE HOLES are only a theory,..
    They didn`t found a good thing to prove a black holes ( they said that there is a black hole 20000 l.y. away from us, and Stephen Hawking has found mathematic prove for their existance).
    However, what falls into black hole, must come out too. So, they think that there must be a white hole too. Stephen also found some kind of radiation like a way for particle to come out of a black hole ( Hawking radiation).
    So much for light speed limit,...

11. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Hawking radiation is not about particles escaping from a black hole (nothing escapes from black holes). Rather, the radiation occurs because of so-called virtual particles that are postulated by quantum field theory. These are pairs of particle-antiparticle which randomly pop into existence, live for vanishingly short times, and then mutually annihilate back into nothingness. When such a virtual pair pops up right on the event horizon, one of the particles may find itself on the inside of the horizon, while the other is on the outside. The particle on the inside gets sucked in, and leaves the other virtual particle permanently materialized; to materialize a virtual particle the black hole must give up some of its energy. The other virtual particle is subsequently either sucked into the black hole as well, because it doesn't have enough velocity to escape -- or it flies away from the black hole -- thus creating Hawking radiation. Through Hawking radiation, black holes slowly loose their energy and 'evaporate'. Large black holes evaporate extremely slowly (they need trillions of years to vanish) -- while small black holes evaporate quickly. It has been calculated that if any black holes one centimeter in diameter (so-called primordial black holes) were created during the Big Bang due to the super-dense matter present back then, they should be completely evaporating just about now (it only took them 15 billion years or so...) When a black hole evaporates down to a diameter comparable to Planck length (a millionth of a billionth of a billionth of a billionth of an inch, 10^-33 cm) the quantum fluctuations destroy the singularity, and it explosively releases the rest of its energy. A miniature black hole exploding in your back yard can be a rather scary proposition; it'll dwarf any nuclear bomb we could ever build. Some astronomers theorize that the mysterious gamma ray bursts recorded intermittently at random locations in the sky (the most powerful bursts of energy on record so far) come from such explosions caused by evaporating microscopic black holes.

As for white holes, they are pure science fiction.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

12. schredinger Registered Member

its all about particles,...

13. Shorty Registered Member

I think I'm a wee bit late, but, to Boris, I must simply say, I forgot. The spinning singularity thing kinda slipped my mind. My bad. Sorry Bob.

14. jmiller Registered Member

Has anybody heard of the phenomena called ghost action. Two paticles are created simultaneously and they act in unison (their spins change at the same time) separated by any distance. Maybe these particles are not particles at all. Perhaps they are the entry and exit points of a wormhole. Instead of sending information through the wormhole perhaps you can change the spin of the entrance and then read the change in spin at the exit.

15. The Communist Registered Member

When a black hole sucks in light where does it go? It can't just disappeer, there must be somewhere for it to go.

16. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Communist,

You just asked about one of the most crucial unresolved puzzles in cosmology. It seems, black holes have entropy (internal complexity) that is proportional to the entropy of all the stuff they have sucked in. However, stuff that falls into a black hole gets completely destroyed. Which makes one wonder: just how is the "information" carried by in-falling objects preserved within the black hole if all these objects are totally converted into spacetime curvature and electromagnetic field potential? Maybe the M-theory will have an answer...

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.