Would you live in the US ?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Say you are in a second or first world country and are relatively well off in that country, there is no civil unrest and limited persecution. You aren't in danger or about to die. But you get this out of the blue offer to go live in the US, with some set up money included, Would you do so ?
    You have the promise of a job there as your company is setting up a new office, but you never know,there might not be a niche for your company there.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How can you expect anyone to answer that question without any personal experiences?

And anyone who answers it is just ...well, farting into the wind ...it means nothing to anyone.

Pure, idle, worthless speculation on what someone else might do. Useless.

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Of course not. Why leave a first-class life in a 1st or 2nd world country only to live a 3rd class life in a sinking country? The very proposition defies reason.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, I live in the Netherlands and i prefer to stay here. Maybe i will take a similar offer if it involves Sweden or Norway, maybe Germany.
    How much money are we talking about ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. panjabel Registered Member

I would definitely because for me USA is the best country to live in.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

been there done that. So the answer is an informed NO!

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Nope, I wouldn't either.

11. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I live in america and I have always wanted to live in New Zealand.

12. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Or Australia.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

New Zealand is a beautiful beautiful country; I love the Maori names for the lakes. They sound so other worldly and magical.

14. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

"3rd class life in a sinking country".... If I'm not mistaken we are the second richest country in the world, behind only Luxouemburg, have the largest economy, which is larger then the next five combined (China, Russia, Britain, India, and Japan). We have the highest standard of living in the world, have the most powerful military, are the leaders in technological development, and influence almost every country's economy. We provide food for about half the world. And yet you say that we have 3rd class lives. Do you know what a 3rd class life is? Its the kind of life that most people in Africa have. So you think that we have the same kind of life as about 80% of the African population? If that was true, then how do we have the highest employment rate in the world, as well as the highest annual income per person. So why do you think that if you live in the US, you must have a third class life? Is it because you want to jump on the the "I hate Americans" bandwagon? Or do you think that becuase the President happens to be an idiot, you think were all idiots? Before you make a comment about a country, why don't you visit it first.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

:roflmao:

16. Atom Registered Senior Member

I used to live there..in Utrecht...the immigrants were very kind and set me up with a train station cleaning job. I was on my uppers at the time and sleeping there. lol. Happy daze.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

i live in america. the biggest problem i see is with morons forcing companies to spend BILLIONS on bullshit recalls.
    typical example.
    batch of cigarette lighters was recalled because it didn't have a label on it saying "danger: flammable, keep away from children, do not ignite in your face"
    sounds almost like a joke doesn't it?
    i can only imagine the revenue the company lost over that "joke"

another famous example is the pinto gas tank.
    untold millions of pintos were recalled to have a piece of metal inserted between the bumpur and gas tank because of two bolts that protruded from the bumper could puncture the tank and leak gas.
    of course this action never stopped gas tanks from being ruptured in rear end collisions, nor did it end people dying in firey crashes. some lawyers seen a way to make money and they went for it. the american people must ultimately bear the brunt of this fiasco and others like it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That happens in any decent country i guess, rules..

20. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Small corrections: USA can barely feed itself, it's the largest food importer. The net food import-export balances around zero. USA is 6th in per capita income. USA do ifluences every country on Earth but mostly in the way which is destructive if not suicidal.

21. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Yup, if you have bearable life in your homeland, stay there (or come as Mexicans - not alone). USA would be really depressing place to live. Americans have paid heavy price for their comfort and per capita income. Only person born and raised here will have her/his senses dulled enough, and with some Prosac help they will live by. Why it's depressing for the foreign observer? Just read something about Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Americans have sacrificed top 4 ladders of the pyramide in the name of 5th

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you can't cut it where you are, then you aren't going to cut it anywhere else. That's how it should be perceived, then people wouldn't run and hide from their problems or the problems of their countries but actually stand to face them (in numbers).

23. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I'll be finding out in a few months from immigration if I will get a visa to move to the states