Write your own eulogy

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Oxygen, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I was thinking about a joke today that goes something like this:
    So, what would you like to hear at your funeral?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony H2o Registered Senior Member

This could be almost morbid Oxy.

I'd like to hear the truth.

I'd like an open pulpit for people to say what they really thought of me.

And I'd like to be there to have a laugh about it.

I've heard that we can only physically see about 70% of ourselves, I'd like to hear what people say the other 30% of me looks like and is like, and not just physically.

Allcare

Tony H2o

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

No words. I want just a party to celebrate the life that was mine.

------------------
    It's all very large.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Countless billions of years in the future.

Hey neat timing the end of the universe is tomorrow.

8. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Actually, concerning all the rituals and proprieties associated with the handling of death, I find them distastefully idiotic. In my will, I shall stipulate that my body be pureed and thrown into a compost heap, so as to be recycled and translated into something meaningful (i.e. fertilizer). Whosoever survives me, is of course free to carry out any ritual they wish -- but only with express knowledge that I no longer exist as a person, and therefore won't give a rat's behind one way or another.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Is there any doubt what mine would read?

Tiassa

(born) (died)

"Wow. Things really do go better with hash."

Were I to be dramatic, it would probably be something from Emma Goldman (slightly paraphrased: Liberty will not descend to a nation; a people must raise themselves to Liberty) or else something from Rilke, perhaps in the original German except that I don't speak it, and probably from his letters to Franz Kappus. The passage in mind is long, but ends with the sentiment that, "Your innermost happening is worth all your love."

But reality says my actual epitaph will have to do with drugs. Seriously.

He smoked his body weight ... thrice over.

To see the colors is to be them; to be them is to never return.

God made it, I grew it, that settles it.

I suppose I'm officially being obnoxious. But when you're assigned by your friends the various childhood images of Eeyore and Gonzo ... I guess you're kind of predisposed to thinking odd things. Now that I think about it, for all the time I seem to think I've devoted to the idea, you'd think I'd have something better than plagiarisms or goofy slogans.

Drat-drat, double drat, triple drat, drat-drat!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(And whence, pray tell, does Drat originate?)

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    No, don't seek control, and the milk of heaven will flow. Why would you want to keep it from anyone? (Floater)

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

tiassa,

I can relate to much of what you write yet there are times when you lose me completely. I guess to truly understand what someone says one must, necessarily, understand the person.

You have made it very clear in many posts your connection with drugs, but I have never had anything like such an experience. Perhaps I have just led a very sheltered life but I wouldn't even know who or how to contact someone even if I were interested. And your reference yesterday about fewer fights now that you don't carry a weapon, that again altered the perspective I had of you. As far as I can remember I have never been involved in a fight either. Yet I don't feel I miss such things, or that my life has been dull, I have simply done quite different things. I guess I must accept that there will always be people that I can never fully comprehend because there will be experiences I will not want to try.

And none of this is a criticsm of you, but more a recognition that we are so different and that learning from those with such a different perspective can be challenging. I guess I find you intriguing whereas to you I must appear plain and mundane.

And again I have no idea where this is leading but I felt it needed saying. I see a contradictory picture, one of the informed and highly intelligent intellectual, and the other of a drug addict who spends his life in barroom fights. I don't really believe the latter of you, but I can't merge the two conflicting views I have.

Sorry, a bit too personal I think, but I can't stop my curiosity.

Take care
    Cris

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's a diverse world, Cris.

------------------
    It's all very large.

12. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Bowser,

Yup, and I think that is what makes life so enjoyable. There is just so much to learn and understand and it is regretable that many decide that war is better than debate.

Cheers
    Cris

[This message has been edited by Cris (edited February 14, 2001).]

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Cris,

"Yup, and I think that is what makes life so enjoyable. There is just so much to learn and understand and it is regretable that many decide that war is better than debate."

So, diversity includes those with whom you disagree? Does a diverse life recognize conflict?

------------------
    It's all very large.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Yes and yes, and regrets are part of life as well.

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So, we should embrace war?

------------------
    It's all very large.

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Depends what you mean by embrace. If you mean should we seek and start wars then I would not agree. However, in terms of defense if one does not take the task seriously then one is in danger of not surviving. So in this sense, if we accept that there are those who are going to make war despite our protests then we should at least embrace the prospect with the desire to win otherwise we risk losing our way of life.

Diversity seems to create this need, which is what I find regretable.

Cris

17. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Regarding war and self defense:- True Christianity, I believe, teaches that one should turn the other cheek and that one should be prepared to die rather than harm another. The reasoning being that God will reward such selfless actions and that is more important than earthly arrogance and pride.

Now why is the Dubya so earnest in beefing up the US defense systems and at the same time proclaiming to be a born again Christian? I don't understand that hypocracy.

Since I see survival as the only purpose of life then I will take any means to ensure my own personal survival. Now I haven't explored what I might mean by 'any', and that might be an interesting challenge.

18. AUSSIEABORIGINAL Abnormally original Registered Senior Member

OXYM: So, what would you like to hear at your funeral?

JEHOVAH LOVES THE BLUES...............smile when you say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well..thankyou....verymuch.....elwood has left the building.........

[This message has been edited by AUSSIEABORIGINAL (edited February 15, 2001).]

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Cris,

Good answers...

"Now why is the Dubya so earnest in beefing up the US defense systems and at the same time proclaiming to be a born again Christian? I don't understand that hypocracy."

Mans law.

------------------
    It's all very large.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Cris--

Truly, sir, I am not ignoring your post. It's been a hell of a week.

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    No, don't seek control, and the milk of heaven will flow. Why would you want to keep it from anyone? (Floater)

21. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

tiassa,

I did have some concern that I may have offended you and that would have ruined my year.

But please do not put yourself out on my account, there are greater priorities in life than a BB.

With respect
    Cris

22. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

"It's been a hell of a week."

Ever had a day where things start off bad and then continue to follow with the same negative results? It sounds like probability is slanted this week.

------------------
    It's all very large.

[This message has been edited by Bowser (edited February 17, 2001).]

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Bowser--

Let's put it this way ... last week went so poorly that I could not even properly quit my job ... twice. And I haven't gotten into the technology problems. Let's just say that Cris and Tony and you all got sacked by various PC's, though my iMac (finally on-line) was also, remarkably, coincidentally, down with a random memory error that even my local paid professional couldn't figure out.

Cris--

For heaven's sake, man ... I'm still devoting what might be an unnatural amount of thought to your post. Call it synchronicity, but my own drug subculture is coming apart for the most banal reasons. I'd expect this circle of freaks to skip on by the stuff we criticize the sober variety for. But I've discovered that one needs no drugs to become an idiot, though apparently the white powdery kind help somewhat.

Though now that I'm here, let me speak also of a curious aspect of drug use. Last week was probably the longest "dry spell" I've seen in two years; by dry spell, I mean a period in which the market, for its own reasons, disappears from my reach.

Which is strange, because people didn't stop complaining last week, and not in the usual way, either. Were it not for several unique conversations, I would fear that my perspective comes from using drugs. But I had several conversations last week that were tantamount to a Franciscan nun teaching me sex magick.

The end result, however, is that my introspective resources are mere shadows of force right now. When the hell did this war come apart so badly? Right now the ripple effects of the War Against Drugs are particular poignant. Tension and greed are building walls between people I know like religion.

If I understood it, then I would try to explain it, but that's what the day brings.

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------