Xianity declining worldwide

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. okinrus Registered Senior Member

<i><b>
    Yes, I'm very aware that the RCC believes in the actual transubstantion of the bread and wine into Jesus's body and blood. I know the RCC claims this to be a "miracle." I just don't believe it anymore. This would be an example of mass psychodelusion. I call it cannibalism.</b></i>
    I'm specificially refering to Eucharist miracles that are manifested physically when the artifacts change. They have been a long tradition of them. Justin Martyr tellls us of a case where the host turned into ashes, so tihs is not a modern invention.
    http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.htm
    l

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

M*W: "Church membership is not comparable of the numbers of Christians who no longer believe in it. How many of those who go to church are just going through the motions of ritual yet not believing. I was one of those statistics who went through the motions of "believer," but I finally saw the truth when I was mentally and emotionally strong enough to remove myself from the dogma and rituals that possessed me."

Okay, did not make myself clear. The Internet and/or the Church records have no way of knowing how many on the records were truly followers of Christ.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that you speak from the view of the Roman Catholic Church, and I speak--to be honest--probably more to do with Protestants, because I was not raised Catholic.

All I am saying is that the numbers were misleading in the first place, and possibly even more so today. There are Christians never listed on church registars. Conversely, there are those listed who are not Christians. So, we are basically agreeing here Are we not?

With this in mind, I have to wonder whether the ones dropping out, or not joining in the first place, or simply more into thinking for themselves. In my book, those who blindly follow, have no beliefs. Or, is this too judgmental? In any event, I still say unless you can correctly identify a potato, there is no way that you can know how many there are, or how many are missing. That is all I was saying.

You seem to base a majority of your conclusions on what you believe about "RC," as you call it. I have nothing personal against the any Christian organization. I simply do not like organizations, because those toward the top get themselves confused with diety.

Even in corporate organizations, those up in the loft, often believe they have infinite wisdom, and this I say from first hand knowledge. Power corrupts, and Clergy over the Laity is wrong.

Thank you for responding.

PMT

8. okinrus Registered Senior Member

<i><b>M*W: Well, okinrus, needless to say, I've been around the block a few more times than you have. If the RCC doesn't use the term RCC, where did that come from when they broke away from Constantine's church? </b></i>
    This is from a friend of mine who commented on my usage of Roman Catholiic. The Church has always refered to themselves as Catholic since the times of Ignatius and the apostle creed. The Catholic Church uses the terms "latin rite" and "eastern/byzantine rite" to differentiate between the two churches. The term "Roman Catholic" and Rominish were only later used by the reformers in order to justify their position that the Catholic Church was a foreign power. So in reality "Roman Catholic" is sort of a slang term. I don't bother you from using it because I'll use it, but using RCC as the offical name for the Church is probably wrong.

<i><b>
    There is a big difference between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholicism.
    </b></i>
    I occasionally go with family to the eastern rite that is in communion with the Catholic church. There's not a huge difference.

<i><b>The "X" is, for the upteenth time, the cross of St. Andrew, patron saint of Scotland. Roman Catholic's and their church use "X" on many of their symbols.</b></i>
    Yes, the cross is the symbol of St. Andrew but I don't quite see how it would become a shorthand for christiantiy. It sounds too much like cretian. When ever I see Xtian, I pronounce it esk-y-an.

<i><b>
    By the way, do you call yourself Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox? There's also the American Catholic Church. Ever heard of it? There is also the Catholic Church that still uses Latin entirely. I don't remember its name. By the way, it's getting close to the holiday season, so Mary xmas.</b></i>
    I don't think the American Catholic Church is in communion with us. The Orthodox church isn't in full communion either but the Church recognizes their apostatic succesion and the validity of their ritual. There are, however, Byzantine and Greek Churches in communion with us. My beliefs are Roman Catholic but if there was an eastern church nearby I might go to that every now and then.

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

10. okinrus Registered Senior Member

<i><b>M*W: Do you mean "wrong" as in the abbreviation is offensive, or "wrong" because the official name doesn't include "Roman?" The addition of "Roman" along with Catholic Church denotes its location rather than its affiliation with the HRE, which is what most protestants believe.</b></i>
    For the most part, I don't think it's a good idea to attach a place like Rome to the Church. While it is recognized that the Pope has the apostatic succesion from St. Peter of Rome, it's St. Peter of Rome not Peter from Rome. It's wrong depending on what context. This forum does not have too many anti-catholics so Roman Catholic is ok.

<i><b>M*W: I am aware of this "rule." I've also been to the Orthodox church, one was Russian, and the other Greek. I have Lebanese friends who are Arab xians.</b></i>
    I've heard of the mennonites that are supposed to be Arabic I think.

<i><b>
    M*W: No, the American Catholic Church I believe was started by a defrocked priest. I believe he got married.</b></i>
    Yes, they have liberal views on abortion, contraception, and women priest.

11. okinrus Registered Senior Member

My bad the mennonites are amish. I'm thinking of another sect.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I was re-reading the thread title and I thought I'd suggest the following,
    Would it be better to look at Xianity as not so much declining but transforming to a less church based religion?

Most people I know who are what you might call new agers do not despute the existance of the Christ etc but have a different perspective on him.

The transformation of religion is and always will be a painful process I think. But a process that will occur all the same, as difficult as it is.

So saying that a religion is in decline could be uneccesarilly enflamitory, rather a religion in transformation or growth may be better.

???

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

14. okinrus Registered Senior Member

<i><b>M*W: okinrus, did you know that in specific situations (i.e. on the battlefield, workplace, etc.) where a priest is unavailable or if the situation is such that it would be impossible to wait for a priest, that any Catholic can perform the rites of sacrament? </b></i>
    No, I was only aware of baptism but this is extremely rare cases. You probably should not have baptised someone because were only allowed to baptise someone without a priest if that persons intention was to be baptised and that person is dying. I don't believe that all unbaptised will go to hell though.

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

16. your right, xianity is on the decline, Christianity is on the rise!
    Those that are so-so Christians are making decisions, either or

BTW were are your sources? or just wishful thinking?

some sites:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/growth_isl_chr.htm
    http://cbn.org/spirituallife/perspectives/colson020722.asp
    http://www.parable.com/cbn/item.asp?sku=0195146166

when will your myth be revealed?

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: Xianity declining worldwide

----------
    M*W: I didn't make-up the statistics. They are well-publicized in the media. "Christianity" is declining worldwide. Someone reported recently on this forum that the percentage is 1/3 of the world's population. I heard recently on the radio that the current membership is 1/4 of the world's population. Not much difference, really. For a source, check the Internet. I don't remember the radio station. There were recent stories in the headlines (Internet) that specifically cited a decline in the US, Canada (widely declining), some countries in SA, Europe (widely declining), Asia, Australia (widely declining) but increasing in Africa. Whether it's my "wishing thinking" or not, my wishes will not impact the membership.