Yin and Yang

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by seekeroftheway, Feb 7, 2006.

1. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Well, that's kinda everyone's fault for not making something to talk about. Does anyone have opposing philosophies or ideas? Any relevance as to why Yin and Yang really does make so much sense?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I don't think opposites can be argued.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Sure they can. Look at the star wars vs star trek thread in sci fi. They've been argued for a LONG time now. Besides, didn't ask for argument, we asked for discussion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. J.J Registered Senior Member

Yin is your mom Yang is your dad They fuck then you come out

8. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Since when do yin and yang mix and form something new?

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

the way i understand it is yin and yang are opposites
    one cannot exist without the other

10. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I think you got the wrong idea from what i said. I meant that there is not much that you can say to deny the fact that opposites exist.

11. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

When did we try to say that opposites DIDN'T exist?

12. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Exactly. That's why the idea of being pure and totally good in some faiths is impossible.

Good is not evil, but without evil, good is not.

13. nameless Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry that I read the whole thread. I usually do it out of respect for the thread starter, and other participants, so I do not needlessly repeat. Whew! I wonder if all the ugliness would be forthcomming from a discussion between participants in the same room, within arm's reach?
    Well, to the subject;

From my perspective, Yin/Yang is strictly metaphor, as all words must be. I think the 'Western' perspective (Greek philosophers were so off base! and that is the foundation of 'western science', IMHO; either true or false, either this or that.. all false dichotomies..) is characterized in seeing yin/yang as opposites.

Current understanding (on the 'front') of the old concept of 'cause and effect' has evolved; not one thing being 'caused' by another, but that the two apparently different 'events' (of cause and effect) are more clearly seen as two aspects of the same event. A 'unity' seen from different perspectives; the blind men and the elephant...
    Similarly, I feel that the insistance of refering to 'aspects of the whole' as opposites is not only error, but will not lead to true understanding. Yin/yang aren't 'opposites' any more than a red shirt with bluejeans are opposites. They are COMPLIMENTARY views of a unity; seperated (artificially) and given opposing descriptions and existences is faultily falling for the notion of exclusive existence of discrete 'things', as 'perception' illusorily suggests.

Yin/Yang is a metaphor of the apparent duality of all that is in 'existence'. Apparent, because the enlightened (and QM) know that 'all is One'. Part of the game of life that we play involves the seperation of all that we learn as youngsters. To be a player in this (adult-erated) dream, things must be treated as 'discrete' items. As babies, we see our world as a seamless whole 'tapestry'. Then we become 'adult-erated' into the blind memes of the masses. Then, of course, there are various methodologies (science, religion, ...whatever 'path' one is on in honestly attempting to find Truth) of regaining the clarity of vision we had as infants. (being 'born again' is a metaphor for this process... there are many..)

I feel that it is error to take the metaphor of Yin/Yang and tear apart that COMPLIMENTARY UNITY into a slew of various definitions and meanings and seeing them as 'opposites'. That would be missing the point completely! We fall into the same perceptual trap with everything else. The concept of Yin/Yang points this out, eventually.

Opposites do not have any independent existence other than subjective artificial conceptualization, delusion. From the error of 'opposites' we get unfortunate results; war, violence, theft, rape, ad nauseum.. (how can you 'hurt' someone when they are a part of YOU?!)
    Compliments, not opposites; a world of difference!
    Thank you.
    *__-

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  14. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

if there is no difference between man and woman for example, why do we see the difference?

why do we become adult-erated into the blind memes of the masses?

wrong, all methodologies lead you even more astray!!

why is the delusion of duality created in the first place?

i see no difference between the words opposite and complementary, they're complementary.

15. nameless Registered Senior Member

Perceptive appearances are always antithetical to 'Reality/Truth'. If you 'saw' pink elephants on pogo-sticks, would you accept that as sufficient evidence to include it into your 'world-view'? In one sense, a relatively immediate and nontheless superficial perspective, of course there are 'differences'. These apparent differences are necessary to 'play the game' of existence. On deeper, foundational levels, things are mighty 'different' than they 'appear' on the surface (QM perspective, for example).

Homogeneity? We are 'taught' the 'rules'; taught the local 'language of (describing/defining) 'reality'. The local concensus perspective is shoved down our throats as soon possible by parents, teachers, friends, enemies, society at large, all methods of communication indoctrinate us away from our natural understanding; we become adults, an accepted member of our society, after we have been properly 'adult-erated'. We are brainwashed, thoroughly. There seems to remain, in some, a niggling memory, or perhaps an instinct, that 'this' is not really 'reality' and we, hence, begin the long solitary road into Truth.

No, perhaps you missed where I mentioned that all methodologies, all 'tools', we use in our search for Truth must, at some point, be discarded to be able to 'proceed' beyond that point.

Delusion is the believing that 'illusion', 'fiction', is 'reality'. It is the 'belief' of the realistic depiction of 'Truth/Reality' by our perceptions and conceptions.

Perhaps if you looked in the dictionary...
    Inherent in 'opposite' is 'opposition', 'opposing'. If I 'oppose' you, there will eventually be trouble (fight, bickering, war.. Just look at the way most threads eventually end!).
    If I 'complimented' your efforts and desires, we both gain and evolve, as 'opposed' to the de-volution of 'opposition'.

16. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

y-yes..

thihi.., why is truth not here now... why do things have to exist... why is not nothingness here for me...

because yin and yang are opposites... though they're also complementary...

wow, you sound like genep cuz you said fiction.

yes... it's because yin and yang are opposites, though they're a bit complementary too...

like with a man and a woman... it ends in trouble, fight, right?
    so yin and yang are opposites? they oppose each other...
    thus, the world was created, because they weren't entirely complementary, a divine child was born from that imbalance, the dualistic unity...

infinite paradox reality.

17. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Now, if I were to back up and look at both of your persectives here, I would soon find that both of them are inherent in themselves. Opposition is the opposite of unity, and that concept is demonstrated in yin and yang as well. Demonstrated in that opposites, in opposing, are united, and therein must exist in one another.

18. nameless Registered Senior Member

That honest and apparently tentative response makes the point here. Sensory information, perception, is 'unreliable' at best.

I do not know what your definition of truth is.
    "There are small truths and there are great Truths. The opposite of a small truth is obviously false. The opposite of a great Truth is also True." - Neils Bohr

There is no 'have to'.. If you can conceive of something, it has 'existence', if nowhere other than in your mind.

You, dreamer, are part of the 'dream'.

All depends on 'perspective', eh?

Our 'reality' is created by our (learned) language (and it's concurrent limitations). Hence the major difference between 'opposite' and 'complement' in the 'world' that each bring into existence, one a Hell, one a Heaven.
    There is no 'paradox' in Truth/Reality; paradox 'exists' within a confused mind only.

19. nameless Registered Senior Member

Ahhh, seekeroftheway, Jeet Kun Do!

20. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

you spell it totally wrong, it's Jeet Kune Do.

but infinity (nothing) is the reality.. but it can't exist because it's infinite... there can be no end, infinity can never be, but it is...

Infinity (whole) cannot be, so, infinity is a limit, a potential revealing itself little by little. The fact that infinity cannot be but is necessary creates the universe and all its laws, both 'physical' and 'spiritual'.

21. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

I study choy li fut, but martial arts is still martial arts, eh?

22. nameless Registered Senior Member

Thank you for pointing out my totally misspelled typo of the missing 'e'. Other than correcting my spelling (totally unnecessary) did you grok my meaning in my useage of the term?

Perhaps you haven't read where I explained that 'existence' was 'inversely proportional' to Reality/Truth. Anything that 'exists' is necessarilly temporal. That is a necesary quality of existence. Truth/Reality is 'timeless'. Never the twain shall meet. No paradox. I realize that most people use 'reality' interchangeably with 'existence'. (Maybe it is a small 'r' 'reality' thing.) That is slop and error.
    In other words, there is nothing of which you can conceive that is Truth/Reality and Truth/Reality cannot be concepts, has no 'existence'.
    The truth that can be spoken is not the Truth;
    the tao that can be conceived is not the Tao!

Certainly is, an an elegant and powerful 'path' into Truth/Reality.

23. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

lol, i was "joking". you should get it. i have like 399 more spelling mistakes than you.
    but you're also joking, you're thanking me, yet you say it was unnecessary.
    /jk