You've all inspired me.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sebsebseb123, Mar 6, 2003.

1. sebsebseb123 Registered Senior Member

I have declared that I am going to educate myself through the internet. By using on-line “forums” such as gnn.tv and sciforums.com. Taking the reading recommendations on a certain topic. Post questions. Learn.

F!$* it…..

LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I’ve learned that school is an important tool for education. We are not wielding it in the right way. We have to make diversity work.

F!$* it…..

LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pick a topic. Any… Electronics… Robotics….
    First… Basic electronics…. Practical….
    Do actual work….

F!$* it…..

cool...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

what's this all about...?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Hey! ….Hold your horses and get you lazy fat ass back to school!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aldah Registered Senior Member

Congrats! welcome to the world of self-education.

8. Neville Registered Senior Member

I dont know about anyone else but i used to love reading fiction and i especially loved 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. 'Dune', or Arrakis to give it it's proper name, is a planet which is literally covered with desert. The sand contains spice mixed in with it and this spice is a very valuable commodity (go figure!

) which is highly sought after by everyone (don't ask why it just is ok! lol) but the story follows the rich and powerful government or House whose job it is to mine the spice. The planet has many mysteries surrounding it too though: fierce and highly respected natives called the Fremen. Arakkis, being a desert planet, is very hot and most people cannot survive out in the open for very long at all. Most would probably last a day at the most yet the Fremen do it with ease. The desert is their home and they know how to utilize it best.

Anyway it really caught my imagination: a whole new planet with a full history, a climate, it's own creatures etc (the writer did go into quite some detail about his planet!). Anyway it's true that truth is stranger than fiction! We are living on a planet of our own! How much do any of us really know about it? Why does the chamelion change colour? How is coal formed? How do our vehicles really work? I'm sure some of you will post with the answers to these (

) and many people have their explanations but how accurate are they? There is so much to learn and noone would be able to take it all in during a lifetime! How much do you really know? (*points ominously at sciforumers!*

)

9. Neville Registered Senior Member

***error***

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  10. Neville Registered Senior Member

***error***

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  11. Bachus Registered Senior Member

I dont know about anyone else but i love to post the same stuff 3 times

12. Aldah Registered Senior Member

Neville... the Dune series are some of the best known books in the science fiction genre. If you've only read the first, you should read the others. Herbert does get kinda silly (Duncan Idaho), but they are still very relaxing reading. His son is apparently working on the series more. I hated what they did to the foundation series, but the new Herbert seems to be up to the task. And the Freman hardly survive in the desert "with ease"

And the answer to all those questions are "elves." Of course, since I don't go to school I don't know what kind of elf makes cars run, and what kind makes the sky blue, but I know it can all be attributed to elves.

13. Neville Registered Senior Member

Yeah i've only read the first one (the original paperback too, though its not in very good condition lol). I have seen the other books you are talking about and i am aware of the foundation series but i though they were the ones his son did/is doing: a book for each house: Harkonnenes, Atreides and ? (

lol) i.e. full history etc.

Whats wrong with Duncan Idaho?? lol. I know what you mean about getting silly though. I seem to remember he even included charts detailing things such as average rainfall (or something along these lines).

p.s. I loved the computer game. The first one was very good and really gripped me for hours. The second one was just a knock-out but a completely different style of game.

14. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

I categorically counter argue that! It is baseless, no facts and terrible spelling!!

15. Aldah Registered Senior Member

I forget the name of the title, but the book I just read took place during the butlerian jihad... that may even be the title of the book.

And if you continue reading the series, you'll see uh... I really do not want to ruin the series for you'll, so I'll just say you'll understand why the name "duncan idaho" makes me laugh.

And, since this topic is about education... I just remembered something that may be relevant to those who are relatively young, and wish to self-educate (even though I doubt there are many on this board). "The teenage liberation handbook" (I think that is the title) has some interesting information... unfortunantly it's probably only useful for those pre-highschool, or in early high-school. But, in the off chance you are that age an interested, this is a great resource to help you convince your parents to give you a chance.