10 Ugliest Foods

An oldie but a goody — Limburger cheese, the butt of jokes in cartoons (pun intended).

dogs.jpg

Limburger is a cheese that originated during the 19th century in the historical Duchy of Limburg, which is now divided among modern-day Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for its pungent odor commonly compared to the odor of flatulence. ... the cheese produces its notorious smell because the bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and many other smear-ripened cheeses is Brevibacterium linens, the same one found on human skin that is partially responsible for body odor.

I've eaten it, and in my experience, it smelled like a sewer although the taste didn't seem extreme at all ... mostly like a sharp cheddar.

What do you know about Caldo de cardan soup? I love soups, but I don't think I could even give it a try.

thumbnailCA379SZP.jpg

Well, other than honey, I've been vegan since 2k...
I did once have a taco de lengua...it was quite good, like roast beef.

1242770524ZX5704.jpg

If your going to eat raw fish, it's nice to know it's fresh.:D

Actually, I wouldn't eat that, even were I a meat-eater.
...The thing about sushi that makes it safe is being flash-frozen to a depth only a commercial freezer can achieve.
Why it's not a good idea to make sushi at home.
Before commercial freezers I think the Japanese pickled the fish, mostly.

Fruits%20G.jpg

These are durian; I would probably like them. They smell like dirty feet on the outside, but are said to be the best-tasting fruit there is.

Last edited:
An oldie but a goody — Limburger cheese, the butt of jokes in cartoons (pun intended).

dogs.jpg

I've eaten it, and in my experience, it smelled like a sewer although the taste didn't seem extreme at all ... mostly like a sharp cheddar.

If your looking for revenge against someone who has a car (the more expensive the better) Take the Limburger and pack it around the exhaust manifold. After a few miles of being driven the smell will be permanently baked in. Most insurance companies won't cover it. But I wouldn't ever eat any of it.:D

Well, other than honey, I've been vegan since 2k...
I did once have a taco de lengua...it was quite good, like roast beef.

1242770524ZX5704.jpg

Not sure what that is but it resembles a worn slipper lying upside down on the floor.:D Doesn't look very appetizing.

Actually, I wouldn't eat that, even were I a meat-eater.
...The thing about sushi that makes it safe is being flash-frozen to a depth only a commercial freezer can achieve.
Why it's not a good idea to make sushi at home.
Before commercial freezers I think the Japanese pickled the fish, mostly.

Fruits%20G.jpg

These are durian; I would probably like them. They smell like dirty feet on the outside, but are said to be the best-tasting fruit there is.

You did see the youtube video that scheherazade posted didn't you. That smell test was pretty graphic.

Not sure what that is but it resembles a worn slipper lying upside down on the floor.:D Doesn't look very appetizing.

Lengua...what might a lengua be...language...also called one's tongue...;)

The tongue looks much tastier after cooking.

No, I missed sche's video. I have a tab open with my account at experience project, and that site's such a bandwidth hog I can't load much else.

I'm gonna have to say a century egg is nastier.

....preserving duck, chicken or quail eggs in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime, and rice hulls for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing. Through the process, the yolk becomes a dark green to grey colour, with a creamy consistency and an odor of sulphur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, translucent jelly with little flavor
220px-Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg

I don't see anything gross here. I eat 'thousand year' eggs all the time.

@ Killjoy - you throw away a whole loaf because one piece has mold? That actually pisses me off a little. Stop wasting dude.

You did see the youtube video that scheherazade posted didn't you. That smell test was pretty graphic.

I eat that fruit all the time as well. Tastes great, smells bad.

Edit:

scheherazade - Chicken feet? Ok Jesus I've been on this thread long enough. What is wrong with eating chicken feet?

This whole thread seems like one of those city slickers vs. country side people things. I have always believed if one person can enjoy a food there is nothing but experience stopping me from doing the same.

Edit:

scheherazade - Chicken feet? Ok Jesus I've been on this thread long enough. What is wrong with eating chicken feet?

This whole thread seems like one of those city slickers vs. country side people things. I have always believed if one person can enjoy a food there is nothing but experience stopping me from doing the same.

Okay Please have some snack food on me then.:D

SnackFood.jpg

I don't see anything gross here. I eat 'thousand year' eggs all the time.

@ Killjoy - you throw away a whole loaf because one piece has mold? That actually pisses me off a little. Stop wasting dude.

Edit:

scheherazade - Chicken feet? Ok Jesus I've been on this thread long enough. What is wrong with eating chicken feet? ....

nzxOl.jpg

Taken several years ago, grubs hand-picked from rotting palm. Delicious, eaten for dessert. (Yours are fried that's why they look darker)

amazing, what haven't you eaten? :bugeye:

S&D must do a lot of traveling in Southeast Asia.
Or grew up there or something.
Lots of roadside vending of deep-fried insects there.
Monkeys are on the menu in the Philippines...

@ S&D: Rice rats?
I dunno why I have a fascination with the idea of rats as a cuisine item, I think it's my Discworld fandom. Or maybe reading about the second Commune of Paris...rat and cat was only good until they ran out of sauce ingredients, but the French taste for Roti De Cheval is supposed to date from this time.

This is ugly. I like my ketchup red.:mad:

GreenKetchup.jpg

That's a very artificial green.
Lotsa food coloring.
Betcha anything there's tartrazine in it.
If it were not colored it would probably look more like this:
jar_verde.jpg

Maybe a lighter green, but not that day-glo nonsense. I like day-glo in my acrylic paints, not my foods.

Back