A race horse

Don't know what analogy you're referring to I'm referring to the analogy of the horse-who-won't-run-and-makes-a-virtue-out-of-it, to Buddhism In reality, it is my experience that most Buddhist horses do want to run and hence embrace all the trappings of horseracing just as eagerly.

Don't know what analogy you're referring to I'm referring to the analogy of the horse-who-won't-run-and-makes-a-virtue-out-of-it, to Buddhism In reality, it is my experience that most Buddhist horses do want to run and hence embrace all the trappings of horseracing just as eagerly.

I'm referring to the analogy in the OP.
The horses only race because they have been conditioned to. So there is either something in it for them or they are under the impression that there is something in it for them. What do they get out of it?
They only quit the race if they are hurt in some way or another by the race itself.

I have yet to figure out what that means but if it means that the focused race horses get to the goal, its still the same one.

Thats for them to decide, then isn't it? Or are they in charge of what the goal is for all the horses? Some horses are born to run and will be inclined to race and compete, Others won't and will either be workhorses or do nothing. But everyone who has a horse knows it wants to run, so much so that if he breaks a leg, they shoot him as a mercy.

Thats for them to decide, then isn't it?
For the horses? No. They are conditioned, remember?

Or are they in charge of what the goal is for all the horses?
Just the race horses, obviously. It sure as hell is not the race horses themselves that set the goal, is it?

Some horses are born to run and will be inclined to race and compete, Others won't and will either be workhorses or do nothing.
NO horse is born to do a humans bidding!

But everyone who has a horse knows it wants to run, so much so that if he breaks a leg, they shoot him as a mercy.
What!? :mad:
You honestly believe that the horses push themselves so hard, that they break their legs just from pushing themselves too hard, out of free will?
Horse racing is animal abuse!

Nope. Not in that context. Is it "natural" for you to be sitting and typing on a keyboard?

Natural: Consonant with the nature or character of.

Horses do not race like that in nature i.e. it does not come natural to them.

But everyone who has a horse knows it wants to run, so much so that if he breaks a leg, they shoot him as a mercy.

So if someone forsakes his or her faith, they should be put out of their misery?
I can't believe you said that! :bugeye:

Last edited:
Thats all well and good in theory, but in practice every single society where Buddhism has been the state religion has become fascist. Why?
I think Buddhism is out of touch with reality [personal opinion] and hence only works well for those inclined to escapism.
Yes I have. Ever hear about the LTTE? The Japanese? The Banpo? The Burmese junta?
etc etc

God is never defined in Buddhism. To give names to god is a typically human affair, god if it exists is nameless and without quality. God is undifferentiated reality, the void that is always full. Questions of whether god is male or female, outside or within, a being or a cosmic unity, material or not, have no place in Buddhism.
The Buddhist emphasis is not on god, but on man.
And man, essentially, is mind. “All that we are is the result of our thoughts; it is founded on our thoughts, made up of our thoughts.” (The Dammnapada). Not only ourselves, but also the world outside us is constructed by our thoughts. It is not that the world isn’t real; simply that we do experience it as it really is. All experience is subjective, because we colour it with our thoughts and feelings, our hopes and fears.
Beyond this subjective world, however is the world as it really is — without colouring. And it is a fundamental tenet of Buddhism that each of us is able to gradually liberate him or herself from subjectivity, and so gain an increasingly non — Subjective awareness of how the world really is.
What is subjectivity? Buddhism defines subjective experience as making distinctions, of which there are two kinds. There are those distinctions which present themselves to us simultaneously, such as black type on white paper; and there are those that we perceive as a result of the passage of time, which we experience as change. These distinctions give rise to our conviction that the world is infinitely varied and ever — changing, filled with a multiplicity of things.
Because of this Buddhists believe that it is possible to wrest what is better from what is worse, happiness from pain, wealth from poverty. The Buddhist social goals and personal goals are based on this belief — the ‘growth philosophy’. Because of distinctions, we live in fear of losing what we have, and in constant search for what we do not have.
We do not realize that all this grasping and seeking is necessarily vain, since the very idea of having cannot exists without the idea of not having; better without worse, wealth without poverty. This fundamental insight of thought — that opposites are complementary rather then contradictory is quite alien to Judeo, Christian, Islamic minds except maybe amongst the teachings of the Sufi’s.
It is ironic therefore, that science reveals the truth of this argument in order to account for the paradoxical behavior of light, which travels both as a wave and a particle. It is now enshrined in modern physics as Niels Bohr’s “Principle of Complementarity”.
Distinctions, therefore, are traps for the unwary. They are false, not in the sense that they do not exist (They obviously do), but in the sense that they form only one side of the coin, one half of reality.
Distinction is complemented by integration and the multiplicity of all things; true Buddhists believe this and that’s what make them better then you are.

I already have, if you noticed. I only present my opinions. I don't try to argue with assholes anymore. Let them enjoy their blinkered view of thinking they know what everyone else should be. If someone thinks wiping his ass with the Quran represents his secularism, who am I to point out the irony?
I'd wipe my ass with the US Constitution if need be. If it taKES Wiping ones arse with the Qur'an to break the conditioning I say go for it.

ScaryMonster said:
*lots of Buddhist stuff*
Huh? Thats okay, I'm not searching for the meaning of life :D
I'd wipe my ass with the US Constitution if need be. If it taKES Wiping ones arse with the Qur'an to break the conditioning I say go for it.

Hey whatever works for you. If scatological preoccupations do it, go for it.

Back