A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to Front

Bells said:

The basis of morality is to be able to discern the difference between right and wrong, is it not?

Well, yes.

Now then, what is right and wrong? I mean, you and I can agree on a whole host of issues about right and wrong, but why are these issues right and wrong? Is it merely self-interest that drives you to advocate human rights for women? In truth, I'm quite certain the answer is no.

A theist who is a misogynist is not a moral man and is a misogynist when he becomes an atheist is still not a moral man.

True, but at least he's allegedly "rationally" misogynistic.

I have never understood when people ask how atheists are able to be moral, or where do our morals come from because we do not follow God. These very same individuals would scoff at 3/4 of the Old Testament as being immoral. I do argue that morality is not solely from religion, but from culture, community, family, education. My answer to your question is 'it is still in the place it always has been and I would ask them to remember who taught them right from wrong and their experiences that allowed them to differentiate the difference between what is moral and what is not'. If someone is an arsehole of a theist, he will still be an arsehole as an atheist. I don't think anyone has argued differently in that regard.

And that is all well and fine, but if the purpose is to persuade and convert from religious to rational, then it doesn't really help anyone to simply detach everything from everything else.

To the other, if the purpose is just to feel better for complaining about horrible people, then, frankly, it's a pointless exercise.

Why is it important to understand how atheists formulate morals? Because that will help potential converts understand what they're getting into and how to tread the paths opening before them.

But if this isn't a concern in the persuasion and conversion outlook, then it really does seem arrogant to tell people what to do.

Think of it this way: I once worked at an insurance company, and got into a dispute with one of my bosses over a botched project. Botched how? Well, it wasn't done properly according to the law, apparently.

What is that law? They don't know.

But my instructions were to follow the template; what they demanded was not in the manual—apparently, they hadn't updated the thing in a decade, so it didn't reflect current law, which is rather quite important when you're pulling an entire policy line from five states.

Their outlook? Their administrative services team was apparently expected to know the finer details of insurance law in all of the states; as far as the company was concerned, they wanted a task done according to specifications, and it's a whole separate issue that their specifcations were wrong.

It is not surprising that the entire division was eventually eliminated; nor is it surprising that a rising national insurance company was bought out by a larger corporation and returned to its status as a local insurance stalwart.

But think about that for a moment: We want this done. How should it be done? That's not our problem. Okay, here, it's done. But it's done wrong!

The analogy sort of ends there because the company could have invested in its legal team updating the standards to reflect current law, or perhaps they could have hired lawyers to work admin services. Either way, they didn't want to spend the time or money. But they wanted it done, done in a specific way, and felt no obligation toward actually laying out that specific way. The need to get the job done was a wholly separate issue from how the job should be done.

Nor have I ever argued that one instantly become rational when one becomes an atheist. Far from it. As we have seen, some remain irrationally evangelical and "religious" as atheists. I would assume the notion of 'rationality' comes from simply not believing in a deity that we believe is make believe and false. And everything else is just a side issue.

And that's not much rationality. The average religious person can be rational from time to time, just like a broken watch is right twice a day, or a blind man can throw enough darts until he gets a bullseye.

But that's the thing. If this is the extent of rationality—that "comes from simply not believing in a deity that we believe is make believe and false"—it really does seem like complaining about the irrationality of religion is kind of a swindle.

For these atheists you've noted, the problem isn't really religion.

My problem with the New Atheist movement is that one has to be evangelical and we have to go out to convert people.. Which is religious in itself. I'd shut the door in the faces of atheist door knockers looking to convert, just as I shut the door in the faces of the Jehovah's Witnesses who plague my front veranda on Tuesday mornings with their booklets and messages of join or burn in hell.

The movement is steadily progressing toward orthodoxy and institutional ossification. There comes a point where such a hardline outlook actually hurts atheists. This sort of evangelism isn't converting any but those looking for a rebellion, though I suppose it's a better rebellion than Satanism, which is pretty much a rational relgion except for having a deity. Mind you, it's a selfish religion, but so is the New Atheism rather quite selfish as evidenced by any number of our neighbors who apparently would like us to forget that religious people are people.

Consider Spidergoat's argument about "trying to convert the religious over to reason":

"We want morals based on reason not divine decree. How do we transition to that? By not giving religious morality respect it doesn't deserve."

Note the switch from "religious" [people] to "religious morality" [abstraction].

To restate his point as, "By not giving religious people respect we don't think they deserve", would more accurately describe the arguments he's putting forward. As I noted, his argument omits consideration of actual people. And, as he noted, the concept of actual people confuses him.

The argument is as vapid as any put forth by Bryan Fischer, Rod Parsley, John Hagee, Ted Haggard, Tony Perkins, Rick Santorum ... really, the list goes on.

It is one thing to simply disdain all irrationality and willful hatred as what it is. To that end, I would simply ask if attaching the adjective "atheistic" to irrationality, hatred, and dehumanization makes it any less repugnant?

And perhaps you and I can agree on an answer, or a range in which the answer exists. But I also know that my answer, that no it's not any less repugnant, is a minority outlook, and one that sins against the growing orthodoxy of New Atheism.

I would also note that morals based on reason and not divine decree falls well outside the purview of what many of our atheist neighbors have described—even insisted—to be atheism.

It's an interesting rhetorical circle, as we come back to consider, according to atheistic argument, what atheistic argument has already rejected. Well, sort of. Morals based on reason? Okay, now how does that work? Well, they ain't tellin', 'cause that's a whole 'nother subject.

It is when the subject matter pertains to religion.

I know, you missed that bit..

It's okay..

/Pat

Oh, so you employ magical grammar now? How quaint!

But seriously, no. Evangelism and conversion are not "religion Itself," regardless of context.

Oh, so you employ magical grammar now? How quaint!

But seriously, no. Evangelism and conversion are not "religion Itself," regardless of context.

So you can "evangelize" a non religion? Odd... merriam-webster would like to disagree with you on that:

Merriam Webster said:
Definition of EVANGELISM

1: the winning or revival of personal commitments to Christ
2: militant or crusading zeal

So you can "evangelize" a non religion? Odd... merriam-webster would like to disagree with you on that:

Um, you forgot to omit #2, which makes no reference to religion.

Whoops!

Edit: from the World English Dictionary.

2. ( intr ) to advocate a cause with the object of making converts

And, just in plain, common, everyday usage, the term is far more broadly applied. So there.

Depends on Who You Ask

Kittamaru said:

So you can "evangelize" a non religion?

Depends on one's point of view. That is to say, irrational devotion to nontheistic concepts is not regarded as religion, according to many atheists of my acquaintance.

Thus, one might promote something that looks and behaves like a religion, but because it does not necessarily focus on God, some would assert it's not a religion, and thus, according to the question at hand, not evangelization.

(See "Insulting Religion", Sciforums, November, 2013.)

Some of our neighbors have to redefine religion in order to maintain their focus on religion.

And for those, it really isn't about irrational behavior or anything like that, but just an open hatred of religion guided by their own insecurities and ignorance.

I said you FORGOT to omit the second listing. Because it makes no reference to religious context, and therefore does not disagree with me.

As I said - I intentionally did not remove anything from the definition in order to prevent any sort of claim of dishonesty on my part. Is it superfluous data? Sure... but I figured everyone present was capable of realizing that and simply disregarding it as such.

Tiassa,
Your argument was about religious morality, and how atheists are supposed to, I don't know, cradle the fragile exposed raw nerve endings of someone who has given up the warm cozy blanket of religious moral law and are huddled naked in the shower, whispering, "the horror...the horror". How do we deal with it? Fist by telling them to buck up, they aren't alone. Also by revealing that their supposed objective moral law was never such a thing. At some point they made a choice to follow that particular set of rules. All we have to say is do the same thing you did before, and make a choice to follow new rules, and yes you can even think about them yourself and change your mind if they don't seem fair. How do we determine right from wrong? It's wrong if the outcome is generally bad for people. It's good if it's generally good for people. There are many things that are morally ambiguous, and the Bible is no help at all, especially if it involves things that didn't exist 2,000 years ago. If you like I can make them a nice hot chocolate with marshmallows while we chat. Is that nice enough for you? Frankly I don't believe that this is a common stumbling block for new non-believers. Mostly they become atheists because they realize that the morals of the Bible aren't very moral after all.

Tiassa said:
And what are we to think of such evangelical sloth as our neighbor Trooper offered? I don't know, do you recall I happened to mention, last year, the marriage of my cousin's eldest son? And how he and his bride didn't know what a marriage license was? He is developmentally impaired, there is no question. And he is of the sort to frequently blow your mind with odd recitations of "biblical" principle not found anywhere in the Bible. But here's the thing: Replace Nietszche and Frankl with Bible verses, and my cousin's mentally impaired eldest son could easily have written that post..

Mentally impaired? Well, now, that wasn't very nice. Oh, and another thing…I don’t think it’s appropriate to discuss or repeat what other members have said here, on your blog, do you? You even quoted him.

Do you own Sciforums, Tiassa? :mad:

It is illegal to copy or republish material from sciforums (or elsewhere on the internet) without the express permission of the copyright owner.

7OB.jpg

True, but at least he's allegedly "rationally" misogynistic.

Ti, you surprise me, even after all this time. I had no idea you were into caricature.

I don't formally debate much anymore, and so I don't know: what is the exact term for making the entirety of a person about the issue under the microscope? Is it just rote demonisation? The misogynist above isn't 'rationally misogynistic' unless he's chosen some 'rational' reason to fit into this category, and it would be completely unrelated to his atheism unless you could actually draw a line. If you're trying to say - and you are - that he considers himself rational just because he's rejected a god that no one can find and then connects that to his choice of misogyny, then what you're describing is a personality disorder. It has as little to do with atheism as a bicycle with a fish, unless the connection is desired by the ego of the producer. I think my analysis is pretty dead-on:

And that is all well and fine, but if the purpose is to persuade and convert from religious to rational, then it doesn't really help anyone to simply detach everything from everything else.

By all means keep connecting dots on the paper and infer the quality of the label from those patterns; pay no attention to the quality of the milling process that produced the sheet. It's structural, not intellectual, but I've never dissuaded anyone from stargazing until they're ready to come in from the cold. Still, on the inferential side, what's this saying about your own process? You're building straw men. This is very wet wood for the fire; smoke, but little flame and no heat. I think what you're really looking for is here:

To the other, if the purpose is just to feel better for complaining about horrible people, then, frankly, it's a pointless exercise.

Correct. You've identified a sect of people that really could do with what you feel is some 'larnin' and are lashing out accordingly. All right, there are bad atheists around. And - what? Then the central message somehow becomes untenable? You realise that their message is the dissociation of church and state, I assume: oh, sure, some will go farther. And there's where I stop. The body of this movement would do the same, unless you can identify a solid plurality that want religion deleted altogether. And you won't. I say that as a "Hitchens fan-boy", of course. (You may now dredge.) But you go further and demand a moral template for their succession, as if the 'movement' demanded this succession of ideals: wot 'as atheism ever done fer us? you ask. Okay: what's the moral platform of the current tenants of social mores? Humility, humanity and almsgiving? I'm sorry, but I see as many violations as successful stake-holding here, sonny. Maybe one should ask whether the new atheist bogeymen are on the march because the current flock of shepherds is running the flock ragged; because when pressed, they're pretty quick to identify some serious faults with their religious social betters. It's as though they have some kind of legitimate platform of bitching about a series of social failures that theists have created. Strange.

And you press on this concept of the new moral stage: why? It's an evangelical gambit: without God, what will save us from injustice? Well, what's saving you now? Consitutionality? I know you like that one. Civil rights legality? Basic humanity? The Golden Rule? You can't seriously think atheists are bereft of the respect due these things, unless you're far more stupid than you seem to be. Then again, I'm a great one for evidence-based inference, so what can I say? You earlier commented on my credibility; and yet here you are, sinking your own boat like a child in a kiddie pool.

I know your distaste for fisking, so I didn't bother commenting on you fisking out Spidergoat there - oh, darn it. Anyway, I'm sure it was a slip. Your succeeding gripe was that atheism as rationalism was an en passant cheat; classic Gouldian rope-a-dope. It might even be right. But what you'll find at the core is that these new new new atheists are about the protection of the illumination that the last couple centuries has provided us, and for which a lot of innocent people suffered. In the 'other camp', half of the American public believe in the Creation tale. Half, Chicken Little. And they're not alone: even in Europe the ranks of the absurd constitute a solid plurality, and there's no need to bother checking southeast of there. Evangelicals are pushing back into the schools at every turn. Your science doesn't represent me, they whine. We need a new science that we're comfortable with, which supports our preconceptions or else just throws in the towel on a complex problem of existence for which we have no conceivable answer outside our narrow dogma. This is the world synthesis you're demanding we all respect, in essence. You don't like Dawkins? Here's a little secret for you, Einstein: neither do we. But the media - working for the repugnant financial satisfaction of the same ego-driven demiurge that seems to spirit you along most days - have taken up with him and here we are. It is the mother of all ironies that the defense of the rational rationale is being sabotaged by the same kind of emotional cunts that ultimately it's trying to stand against, even as they promulgate it. Society's your problem, CL: or is that one derivative socio-economic thesis too many for you? If you're going to finger-paint your way through this, try to keep inside the lines.

Mentally impaired? Well, now, that wasn't very nice. Oh, and another thing…I don’t think it’s appropriate to discuss or repeat what other members have said here, on your blog, do you? You even quoted him.

Do you own Sciforums, Tiassa? :mad:

?? Got a link for this Trooper?

As I said - I intentionally did not remove anything from the definition in order to prevent any sort of claim of dishonesty on my part. Is it superfluous data? Sure... but I figured everyone present was capable of realizing that and simply disregarding it as such.

Wow.

It isn't supefluous data. It directly contradicts your claim that the dictionary disagrees with me. See, the first definition frames the word in a religious context, but thr second definition does not. Follow?

Wow.

It isn't supefluous data. It directly contradicts your claim that the dictionary disagrees with me. See, the first definition frames the word in a religious context, but thr second definition does not. Follow?

So you would rather define your stance as "militant atheist" then? Fair enough

Some of our neighbors have to redefine religion in order to maintain their focus on religion.
You keep trying to connect the fear and loathing of American fundamentalism, specifically as it has entered the social/political policy arenas, as opposition to religion in general. Then from that stance you allege that the critics have redefined religion? It's you who is redefining things. The polemic is not over teleology and higher order philosophical and theological considerations. It's about the actual turmoil playing itself out in the statehouses, the courtrooms, the school board meetings, etc. Without any of that none of these threads would exist. The ICR type sites would just be posting dry theological discussions, and SciForums would be virtually troll-free. How and why you continue to conflate this escapes me. :bugeye:

And for those, it really isn't about irrational behavior or anything like that, but just an open hatred of religion guided by their own insecurities and ignorance.
Wrong. The aversion is specifically directed to the fundies and, in a narrower range of topics, the orthodox Christians. They alone are expressing the harmful forms of "hatred" -- better characterized as religious-based misanthropy, which breaks down to homophobia, xenophobia/racism, misogyny, anti-intellectualism, and damaging laissez-faire economics, to include opposition to entitlement programs and relief in general, as well as their dogged denial of climate science, science in general, and their long history of opposing environmental policies. All of the aversion to that, hateful or not, is righteous indignation over actual harm done by actual perps. As long as you conflate the two ideas (aversion to this vs. aversion to something you imagine) you are doing the same thing the psychopaths do -- blaming the victims.

You can't have it both ways. You can't on one hand insist that there is a right and a wrong way for atheists to behave, and then, on the other hand, demand that they do not take the high road and denounce harmful conduct when they encounter it.

What the hell is this thread about anyway? :shrug: It seems we need to be discussing something else, namely: why you are conflating the real-world scenario with your imaginary one.

No, I was simply pointing out that evangelism isn't necessarily religious. And you'll notice the dictionary definition I provided makes no mention of militancy.

I'm sure you understand if I prefer a more, hm, scholarly source such as Merriam Webster over... Whatever dictionary that was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back