Atheist..Please stand up

Lady,

More space would be saved if you didn't insist on quoting every post you respond to in full. Try quoting just the parts you are responding to. You seem to be able to do that. If people want the full version, they can look back up the thread a little.

BTW, you haven't responded to my previous post.

From what you've just said, it seems you're not interested in learning any science. Why? Is it too hard? You claim it is too "mechanical". I say that you haven't even touched the surface of the beauty to be found in science. You're like a short-sighted person squinting at the stars with the naked eye, whilst a powerful telescope stands unused nearby.

Originally posted by Teri 2
Sorry to again make you read most of a post, but it's to save having to re-read the original first post.

Lady's questions were: -
1) Logically explain the origin's of human& animal evolution?
2) Who or what initated the big bang? How is it that the earth was designed for the human make-up?
3) I hear that atheist base their belief on science, however has science disproved or proved the existence of God?
(4) As far as space travel goes we can't even get out of our own solar system so why dismiss the existence of God or any other life form?
(5) Does anyone have any reculection on where they were before conception? And where the life giving force came from?
(6) Who or what would you say is the designer of this complex universe and all that is in it?
(7) Did a human being create him or herself? If so why are women still getting pregnant?
(8)What does a atheist expect after death? To go back to?
(9) Explain the mystery of conception?- reflective thinking
(10) Can the non-existence of God be proved scientifically?
(11) Science is a on going study of the universe....why?

I feel that if Lady is genuinely interested in our answers to these questions, she would ask each one separately, in separate threads. No deviations allowed. When you read them, you will notice that most of the questions are two-part questions (some even unrelated to each other even though they're asked in the one sentence), and none of them are simply answered.
That's partly the reason I directed a number of questions back at her, I think she saw how difficult it would have been to address all of the questions and gave me a lame reply.
The point I'm trying to make is not being eloquently presented -sorry - however I'm hoping you will see where I'm trying to go with this.

To Lady,
Ask one question, stay on topic, and let's have a sincere conversation on what you want to debate or inquire about. Please?

Thanks
Teri

** Lame reply?

** Deviants, I have no controll over religious backgrounds are those who post here, however are you atheist and if not, which perspective? As far as the questions pick one. I'm not going to create that many threads, I have a life, sometimes, try getting one.

:)

Why bother?

Wrath? we mustn't be satanic.
Why be Satanic? We can look to the Bible to learn the ancient art of wrath.
Science will always be unfinished
And therein lies the necessary answer.
** First, it should be against the law to write a post that long.

... And for the of love God don't write no long post.
Well, I'm sorry. This was as short as I could make it. Sorry about the two-syllable words.

--Tiassa :cool:

I'm fully convinced that Lady is the least intelligent person I have ever had contact with.

BTW, you haven't responded to my previous post.

From what you've just said, it seems you're not interested in learning any science. Why? Is it too hard? You claim it is too "mechanical". I say that you haven't even touched the surface of the beauty to be found in science. You're like a short-sighted person squinting at the stars with the naked eye, whilst a powerful telescope stands unused

James R,

** Attributing the beauty of science to nothing could easily cause one to lose zeal.

** I'll have to find the other post.

Originally posted by Tiassa
When one recognizes an ongoing process, such as scientific inquiry, it is a little problematic at least to ask for the finished products of an unfinished process.
I concur. And I too have a problem with the "atheistic" reply. One of the main strengths of science and skepticism, in my opinion, is that fact that it is perfectly acceptable to say "I don't know." I see the failure to admit this as strikingly arrogant and ignorant. Further, it winds up committing what I see as the primary error of most theists; the assertion of knowledge (truth) where there is no such determination. The error is hardly limited to these forums. Rarely do I find admittance the fact that most scientific knowledge is relational and a model of reality... rather than a true image of reality itself.

There seems to be a tendency among the responses to sympathize with Lady's topic presumption that there is a conclusive answer, or a reasonably speculative answer.
And I also find it curious and thoroughly premature when truly considered.

What new issues has (especially) Christianity put before us? There is a core of dogmatic beliefs which have persisted for two-thousand years, and the apparent differences in stylistic execution come, I think, from a redefinition of terms.
My point was that I don't see that religion does much in the way of originating. Primarily, I see the issues being raised by philosophy and only then being inserted into the framework of religion. Religion then simply becomes a validation of preexisting beliefs, it becomes a defensive structure for societal values. Thus we find the caste system built into Hinduism, the political structure of the Roman Empire in the RC Church, the free-love era of 60's America in new age Christianity and various pagan expressions. That certain declarations remain somewhat consistent is only due to the fact that they don't conflict with these external ideals and values and the perception of validating these new concepts.

The flexibility is in human psychology, not the dogmatic religious structure.
But as you point out later on, religion adapts or dies. Thus the structure needs to be flexible, if it isn't it is replaced. This seems to indicate that religion has little affect upon belief except insofar as it affects societal beliefs... as such it becomes almost entirely circular except for the philosophical efforts of certain individuals.

You and I have discussed accretions before. Liberal Christianity, loving-God theory, and all manner of odd doctrine come from those fundamental points.
But I challenge whether those accretions are founded in those points. As I stated above I see them primarily as an attempt at validating the accretions. Normally, they fail as such.

Because there is no literal unless you're the first person to ever conceive of the words. Then and only then is there a truly literal definition. It's a metaphysical progression that the Christian structure appears to lack. I truly do think that the interior structures have not changed. The psychological interdependence of the people--now that has changed.
This is where I find "eastern" religions come closer to truth than most "western" interpretations. Philosophically, they are, generally, more advanced; defining relationships and exploring the relative truths rather than attempting to make concrete assertions.

This seems to be observably true in life. Part of this condition comes from the inflexibility and specificity of Christianity. Other religions with less-exacting specifics seem much more flexible and adaptive.
Then what is religion more reflective of, man or nature?

I'm aware I'm expecting too much. So why is it hypocritical when I step off my Golden Soapbox and try to communicate with the vulgar masses?

Only in that you occasionally participate in that which you condemn. I understand, I just think you sometimes belabor a point that is only clear to those that already perceive it and will rarely be perceived by those most guilty of it.

But what good does it do? If people can't understand, or don't want to understand, they won't understand.
I often wonder. Perhaps only to identify those that do or are attempting to understand and create a platform for discussion amongst those individuals.

We might as well be trying to have a quiet conversation in a kindergarten some days. It happens. At least by my big-stick theory, we get some space for reasonable discussion.
And by ignoring the more inane aspects of a thread. Often there is a good discussion that threads it's way throughout... which is why I'll hit on certain points within an otherwise meaningless thread. As I observe you to do as well.

Well, it's kind of like comedy in the 1980s. It became kind of like a church. It used to be that if someone said something funny, you laughed. But then people got dumber and decided, This person is a comedian. Comedians say funny things. He must be funny when he's speaking.
I don't want to dip to deeply into an exploration of comedy, it could be a forum all to itself. But as a brief response: 1) I find various levels of comedy to be appealing for various reasons from simple irony and surprise to deeper explorations of the human condition. 2) Comedy is communication, as such a talented performer can relay humor on various levels, thus the performance may be funny despite the lack of depth in the verbal aspect. Some performances communicate humor almost exclusively on a physical plane. 3) I find that I rarely burst forth with laughter at what I consider to be the best jokes. The visceral response is the easiest to evoke and is accomplished at the most basic levels.

One thing I'll give my fellow posters is that they do have interesting things to talk about. But are people merely aiming for a ratings game? Are they finding greater enjoyment in a lower standard of debate?
Most simply, I think that few have the time, energy, and dedication to delve too deeply. I find myself in such an unfortunate position occasionally (mostly due to time constraints). Thus I sometimes drop off when the discussion becomes too involved or I don't find it to be proceeding appropriately or I have to seriously limit my response. Thus, I find sticking to rather narrowly defined topics to be essential to my continued participation. I don't have the time to teach Lady even the basics of what she is ignorant about... much less properly address the questions in detail. I have to limit my response near to the level of the person I'm communicating with. How much time would it take to educate muscleman to the point where he could even understand the issues you and I discuss?

People show more than they realize when they hide behind chap façades and simplistic deflective rhetoric. For instance the most obvious thing they show is that they're hiding. No, they don't have to say they are. They just have to do it.
I feel that it often runs deeper and is much more serious than that. Often the refutation illuminates a contradiction that the one "hiding" attempts desperately to avoid rather than address and examine. They will run around in circles and expound upon one thing or another rather than face such a dilemma.

Look at the points I'm discussing--how fine of distinctions are these? Are my standards too high? I just don't see what's so hard about it for the most part of this debate.
But watch and see who hits even these meager heights. We're already above what most are willing or perhaps able to address rationally. I put the primary responsibility upon our educational systems... how few and far between are those who actually have been taught to think? How much more difficult was it for you to learn (mostly) on your own? How many problems did it cause for you in school?

And while I'm all for expanding Lady's or anyone's horizons, I really don't see that happening very well.
And therein the honestly of the individual's approach to the subject can be determined. Examining muscleman's behavior one finds no room for earnest discussion... no consideration is given to any alternative thought proffered.

And perhaps one of the reasons I'm being so damned self-righteous with this is that I can write a better atheistic position for this topic than I've seen the atheists present. And it's rather quite easy. That tells me people just aren't trying. For substance or humor.
Agreed. To wit, I simply did not care to give the time to the discussion till this point. We'll see how it progresses.

Disturbing, that.
Not particularly. You simply put forth the effort to understand the position and the time to present it. Other's have not. As to why...

The problem is that it would be equally embarrassing to be identified as an "atheist" according to the atheistic expressions I've encountered over the last while here at Sciforums as it would be to be identified as a Christian according to the standard of my living experience.
I don't see the identification as problematic. As I've expressed elsewhere, I find I fall into various categories depending upon the agreed definition and manner of approach. Which is one of the reasons I attempt to constrain such broad definitions to the narrowest focus I can rightly subscribe to it. Most of these terms are so broad in common parlance that their definitions overlap to the point one cannot discern one aspect from another.

It lends evidence toward the idea that it's a human problem, and not one of labels and classifications. I should be happy at a progressive realization, but frankly it frightens me.
It is simply because labeling and classification are a natural human ability. We do it all the time, without thought or reason. It is what our minds do. However, the natural application is very subjective and loosely defined. When we truly attempt to reason though it we needs be more specific.

I truly wish to continue in this vein but, as I mentioned, I do have time constraints. We need to narrow the topic for me to continue much further. I don't have time for many 3+ page well considered responses.

~Raithere

I wonder how many people are actually following our discussion?

Raithere
I concur. And I too have a problem with the "atheistic" reply. ....
... And all that comes in that paragraph--I think we're in agreement on those points.
And I also find it curious and thoroughly premature when truly considered.
I think that's the problem with such sympathetic regard to the issues; it raises the condition of debating a point which seems unnecessary to debate. Sometimes humans do this; for instance I think we may be looking at the same car from different sides and describing how the wheels turn.

But I may be reading you wrongly.
My point was that I don't see that religion does much in the way of originating.
This is where the two-sides-of-the-car thing comes in.

Primarily, I see the issues being raised by philosophy and only then being inserted into the framework of religion. I think this is the prevailing process.

Religion then simply becomes a validation of preexisting beliefs, it becomes a defensive structure for societal values. In the modern day I see much of this. It's not purely a validation. In the speculative, religion can, under certain conditions, be progressive. For all the faults of, say, Christianity, we cannot deny that the results of its influence include the massive wealth and political power of the United States. I can use a claw hammer to tear down a house, but I can also use it to drive the nails to build one. Beyond that, it's a matter of how sound are my building principles. If I tend toward fragile, impulsive design, no amount of nails can keep the structure standing.

Thus we find the caste system built into Hinduism, the political structure of the Roman Empire in the RC Church, the free-love era of 60's America in new age Christianity and various pagan expressions. It's a little stickier than that, but the end result is about the same. I think that a social perspective will migrate toward a religious perspective, but that pattern is breaking during our lifetimes. Religions are often the composite result of various social mores codified and mythicized. It's a tiny distinction, and I point again to the two sides of the car.

That certain declarations remain somewhat consistent is only due to the fact that they don't conflict with these external ideals and values and the perception of validating these new concepts. Throw into that a simple idea: religious submission includes the acceptance of an established order. Now, whether or not that order is proper or even properly established is beside the point, as militant fundamentalists tend to demonstrate. Does life imitate art or vice-versa? The interplay between the religious and social morality has always been fascinating. Christianity bucked Judaism, and Islam bucked Christianity. I think there is a conflict with external ideas, though, as Christianity, Islam, and other religions have shown.
But as you point out later on, religion adapts or dies. Thus the structure needs to be flexible, if it isn't it is replaced.
The structure does need to be flexible. This is part of my point on the churches and religions. But we see in current times a struggle regarding flexibility. As Christianity in America, for instance, progressively adapts in response to incoming data, there grows a conservative backlash against this liberalization. We see more and more people choosing their religious principles of Creation, original sin, and prohibition in favor of ideas and concepts more reflective of real living demands. The religious structure has much effect on belief in the sense that it limits the possibilities of belief. And it is through that device that religion affects the unnecessarily-symbiotic societal beliefs. Watch the American Judeo-Christian morality in action: even when God is removed from the equation, sexual, social, and personal mores still in the US reflect a heavy Judeo-Christian perspective. Sexuality is a good example, in fact, because as we see with the new hedonism, there is a more "comfortable" sexuality. But it still seems somewhat exploitative. I think of gender considerations as blackmail; I know for a fact that I've gotten laid before because a woman decided that it would be too conciliatory to the chauvanists she couldn't live with or without if she let a guy pick her up. This compulsion seems a little neurotic and carries an unhealthy potential. But I don't know which aspect needs to be addressed first--the unreasonable prohibition (Christian) or the unreasonable license (post-Christian pseudo-Capitalist: acquisitory. The circular aspect is not limited to theistic religions; hence aspersions against ideas like patriotism and so forth--religious adherence to an idea does not require a God. But that's beside the point. Circular reasoning might come more from the human need to feel justified than the need to actually be correct.
But I challenge whether those accretions are founded in those points. As I stated above I see them primarily as an attempt at validating the accretions. Normally, they fail as such.
The accretions are often individual, and then transferred to a societal level. E.g. before a Muslim ever suicide-bombed anyone, someone had to believe that this was the right course of action. It's a condition of choice.

If we take the five fundamentals of faith and look at them merely as words on paper, we have a starting point. Any two people are bound to read a single sentence--moreso a complete written volume--differently as a result of their experiences. The concept of those fundamentals exist; they have a "dictionary" value as such. But beyond that, the whole thing is speculative and accreted. I accept the infallibility of the Bible, but I've learned that the conditions that equal that acceptance and infallibility are absolutely untenable among Christian perspectives. Of course, I also accept the infallibility of Shel Silverstein's "Ickle Me Pickle Me Tickle Me Too".

Important to note, of course, is that such infallibility is dependent on a "literalism" that is wholly internal.

If we start with a pure religious idea, the first accretions will be applied unconsciously by the first person to recognize the pure idea. A similar concept of influencing the system observed exists in science. But the religious idea exists, and is perceived. It now exists within that perceiving individual according to the individual's needs. And it will be related, translated, and disseminated according to such priorities. For the second person, the first accretion is inherent, and tends to look like a pure concept. And here's the thing: at the level that we read the Bible, we must account for the accretions already present; the idea passed through a person with priorities and interpretive perspectives that inherently influence the changes between the work received and the work transmitted. Another analogous concept exists in science: wherever two parts of a device come together, you will lose energy. For each stage that a religious concept goes through, it loses some of its original energy and bears the effects of its process.

Direct communication from God, for instance, is a relatively unspoiled concept. Coming back to life is a relatively unspoiled concept. But the priorities requiring the idea of a Virgin Birth are dependent on conditions accreted to human nature. Virgin Birth seems somewhat an accretion by itself, does it not? The idea of dying for a greater cause is also fairly clear to you and me. But to phrase it as "Christ's proxy atonement of sin" is more than a little fancy, don't you think? The Second Coming? The notion of "I'll be back" is as old as human consciousness.

However, if Christianity were a pure idea, it would work. Such seems the nature of pure ideas: they work within their context, unadulterated by foreign demands.

I do agree that validation of the accretions doesn't work as a general rule.
This is where I find "eastern" religions come closer to truth than most "western" interpretations. Philosophically, they are, generally, more advanced; defining relationships and exploring the relative truths rather than attempting to make concrete assertions.
I'll raise a glass to that.
Then what is religion more reflective of, man or nature?
Both. Specifically, religion is more reflective of human perception of nature.

When we stop and think of science ... I put before you water. Two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen, drink up. I wonder how long it took people to realize that the rain and the river were the same thing as the snow in the mountains or the mists in the morning. But as a scientific process, we did go back as human beings and codify that difference.

In that sense, both science and religion deal with how man perceives nature. Science seeks to understand what is perceived; religion deigns to tell you what you are perceiving. Aside from that fundamental dichotomy, there's not much different. Catholics, as we have seen, have done much formal philosophical research into the tenets of Christian faith, but as you and I know, no amount of tight logic can overcome the basic unfounded presumptions of that theology, namely that God exists and also that the Bible is "His" true word. Aside from that, if you want to see logic taken to its severe ends according to Western constraints, spend a good deal of time with Catholic philosophy. I found my definition of God buried in there, and because of the work of many faithful Catholics I have finally been able to dismiss the Devil. I just gotta give props where due, y'know?
Only in that you occasionally participate in that which you condemn. I understand, I just think you sometimes belabor a point that is only clear to those that already perceive it and will rarely be perceived by those most guilty of it.
Should I give up on the blind because they cannot see the sun? Should I abandon the deaf because they cannot hear music?

While it's a bit of a self-aggrandizing stretch, I hope the concept stands out within the exaggeration.

But come on ... every once in a while I have to stand on a point: this is scheduled to be Post #4465 for me. Less than a quarter of all my posts are of particular consequence to me or anything that I believe. That's over 3100 posts of random commentary, asides and, most importantly, clarification and attempts to augment communication. I should be able to stand on that credential alone in one thing: I've tried. I have tried the academic. I have tried the polemic. I have tried the sympathetic. I have tried the hack. I have tried the vicious. After 4464 posts, the bulk of which belong to the subjective fora, I have well-concluded that such rudeness is about the only way to deal with the larger portion of regularly-active posters. After over three years of attending this site, I see only a degradation of intellectual prowess. Some of this is understandable, but some of it is obviously a deliberate attempt by posters to drag the rest of Sciforums down into the gutter.

If I thought people in general were paying attention to anything better than this would-be CNN/Crossfire hack routine, I would try to communicate with that part of them. But the shit I drag myself into is often more appealing than leaving Sciforums to the hands of idiots.

You'll notice, Raithere, the number of people (I need more than one hand to count them) at Sciforums who, in the last couple of months have publicly declared that they don't read my posts because they're "too long" or too complicated or too whatever. That's fine with me. But it's also a clear indicator that the pure bullshit is the only thing these people are willing to deal with. I wrote once probably a year ago that one of the benefits of not being Christian is that I don't have a faith obligation to turn the other cheek. I still hold that to be true; I turn the other cheek based on a pragmatic obligation; thus, that obligation is not uniform.

However, the simple fact is that I am demonstrably capable of writing something more than faux-pith, profanity-laced faith declarations, and questions loaded to forestall any rational and progressive debate. Forgive me if it gets lonely out here, please.

In the meantime, if I don't get down and nasty sometimes, there's no point to me being at Sciforums; after all, when I'm not, people stop paying attention. This wouldn't be a problem, except that people continually wonder where the more civilized discussions are.

Grab a beer. Take a chance. Wander on over into this realm and find out. That's all I want my fellow posters to do. For as much faith as anyone around here seems to be willing to take, I always wonder why people can't have faith in common sense.

If I'm polite about it, though, nobody pays attention. Again, that's not problematic in itself. But it's been a long ethical debate for me because (A) I owe Dave much for his kind provision of this site over the last few years, and (B) I would like to see this site generate some better brainwork. I used to find it tragic when we couldn't manage anything better than the now-defunct Parascope. Now, save for the Jews-killing-your-baby conspiracy theories (an affinity of Parascope's paranoid posters) it's hard to tell the difference between the place I used to go to take it out on those I fundamentally disagree with and the place I still come to in search of genuine thought and ideas.

So I'm happy to take anyone's suggestions. Just remember, the shiny happy compassion routine has already failed, and while I'm sure there's another version forthcoming, I haven't been putting much effort toward it for lack of a reason to.

You'll notice that the people who generally stop arguing with me are also those who never want to get out of the gutter.

However, if we might look at a history you're directly familiar with for having participated in it: look around--people are much less willing to presume certain aspects of each other. I mean, how many pointless and sometimes profane arguments did I get into about "narrow" atheism? I still have them, but they're not so prominent because they're not as frequent. If nothing else, browbeating the hell out of people seems to work. That's fucking tragic.

And here's a fair question: Is it really "wrong" to point out someone's poor reading comprehension if that poor reading comprehension is frequently the basis of dispute? I mean, I know I've taken some serious swipes at people and their intellects, but for the most part I like to think I'm basing that in what's going on. I mean, really--maybe it sounds mean to pick on someone's reading comprehension, but there are some days I feel like I'm discussing things with a small child stuck in the habit of asking the same question over and over despite having the answer.

Let's move the idea out of the written arena: Yes guns exist, but do we really have to use them? If I'm going to slink on down to the battlefield, I'm going to prepare myself.

Back into the written: I know I stoop to the gutter. But I do have to in order to make my presence at Sciforums worth anything, much less anything of value.

So if I'm going to descend into the common rabble, I'd better be prepared to speak the language. Yes, rough words exist, but do we really have to use them? If I'm going to slink to the gutter, I'd best prepare myself.

If I ask you for help on the street, and you do nothing, and I ask you for help again, and you still do nothing, and I ask yet again to no avail ... what if we don't speak the same language?

I wouldn't mind the battlefield at all if it wasn't for everyone shooting. I wouldn't mind the gutter if it wasn't for the absolute dedication to sludge I find among its denizens.

Of course it appears hypocritical. But as Jeffrey Burton Russell notes in Lucifer: The Devil in the Middle Ages: "Some instances of causing pain--for example, the surgeon's knife--cannot be classified as violent because the intent is to heal, not to cause suffering." (20-21)

The end result isn't specifically to cause pain. Ever separated a shoulder, finger, or toe? Ever have it set in place?

Of course it appears hypocritical. I won't argue against that notion.
I often wonder. Perhaps only to identify those that do or are attempting to understand and create a platform for discussion amongst those individuals.
But it feels like pole-sitting.

And if anyone at this forum thinks that's a gay joke, they'll only prove my point. Well, one of them. Not necessarily any point related to this topic, now that I think of it. Oh, nevermind. ;)
And by ignoring the more inane aspects of a thread. Often there is a good discussion that threads it's way throughout... which is why I'll hit on certain points within an otherwise meaningless thread. As I observe you to do as well.
But doesn't it feel like a snipe-hunt?
I don't want to dip to deeply into an exploration of comedy, it could be a forum all to itself. But as a brief response: 1) I find various levels of comedy to be appealing for various reasons from simple irony and surprise to deeper explorations of the human condition. 2) Comedy is communication, as such a talented performer can relay humor on various levels, thus the performance may be funny despite the lack of depth in the verbal aspect. Some performances communicate humor almost exclusively on a physical plane. 3) I find that I rarely burst forth with laughter at what I consider to be the best jokes. The visceral response is the easiest to evoke and is accomplished at the most basic levels.
I'll only pause on it long enough to pick out the word talented.

The word talented is key. I agree that comedy is communication. However, to look at the "various levels", we might pause to wonder why T&A is such popular entertainment.

I agree that the best jokes don't get open laughter. I'm a Doonesbury freak. But my beef with comedy is fairly direct: I saw Dennis Miller live in Seattle about a week ago. He did fine. The audience puzzled me. I mean, we were seeing Dennis fucking Miller! And his best jokes--whoosh!--went right past people. But the Muslim-heaven joke about inexperienced sex (seventeen virgins or something) and wanting a finger up the ass got the crowd's attention.

And what about talent? The thing is that most common comedy--sitcoms, stand-up, and cinematic--is generally the kind of stuff I can get at home when a friend is in a bad mood. I mean, sure there are funny menstrual jokes, but how many times can a woman get up and just be pissed about her period and expect the audience to laugh at this like they've never heard it before? Talent is key, and with that disclaimer I can only agree with your evaluation.
Most simply, I think that few have the time, energy, and dedication to delve too deeply.
True. Sciforums has changed my writing style somewhat. I can't stand to leave a hole in things when I can just hop out on the web and find the information; so much for rhythm. I've always written on-the-fly, but if I was postmodern before, I don't know what I'd be now.
Thus, I find sticking to rather narrowly defined topics to be essential to my continued participation.
The only option I'm prepared to offer right now is the idea of a broader topic with less insistence on narrowing from the peanut gallery.
I don't have the time to teach Lady even the basics of what she is ignorant about... much less properly address the questions in detail.
Fair enough. What to do about it from there is to each their own.
I don't have the time to teach Lady even the basics of what she is ignorant about... much less properly address the questions in detail.
That's part of the problem.

With disorganized, barely-literate cosmologies and theologies, it's rather hard. But being disorganized and severely inconsiderate of reality, those cosmologies and theologies have natural and vital flaws. One cannot expect Rome in a day, nor can one expect a paradigm shift overnight. It's a long process; in fact, that's why "born-again" Christianity seems so sketchy; it's impulsive and without a certain level of consideration I find vital to the human endeavor. But there does exist within that frantic, disorganized faith bloc a certain degree of integrity that can be tapped. It's not uniform; some people will never get it, but the comparative works best when it's intrinsically self-reflective and not loaded with superlatives.
I feel that it often runs deeper and is much more serious than that.
I agree, but it occurs to me that this is a topic by itself, as with other points we're into.
Often the refutation illuminates a contradiction that the one "hiding" attempts desperately to avoid rather than address and examine. They will run around in circles and expound upon one thing or another rather than face such a dilemma.
The method is quite telling, I think. Of people I've had severe disagreements with, I might pick two for comparison. I think both T1 and KB hide from themselves in their posts. But they both do it according to different priorities, and thus engage different methods. The number of common points is striking, but the manifestations are different. KB would lash out without restraint. T1 baits for distraction, a more elegant stratagem.
But watch and see who hits even these meager heights. We're already above what most are willing or perhaps able to address rationally.
The difference between willing and able is vital. To note Mr. Spock, in ST2: Wrath of Khan:

"There are two possibilities. They are unable to respond. They are unwilling to respond."
I put the primary responsibility upon our educational systems... how few and far between are those who actually have been taught to think?
I'll stand with that, but I think the educational system is in some way symptomatic. It may be symbiotic nihilism.
How much more difficult was it for you to learn (mostly) on your own? How many problems did it cause for you in school?
I can't write my biography for a few years ... I hear you.
And therein the honestly of the individual's approach to the subject can be determined. Examining muscleman's behavior one finds no room for earnest discussion... no consideration is given to any alternative thought proffered.
I have to admit that there are reasons I generally don't engage Muscleman. I don't find much room for earnest discussion there. People seem to realize how depraved that approach to things is. There's no need for me to extend my dark side to influence that issue.
Agreed. To wit, I simply did not care to give the time to the discussion till this point. We'll see how it progresses
Fair and more than that.
Not particularly. You simply put forth the effort to understand the position and the time to present it. Other's have not. As to why...
Okay, I do admit that to be one of my more taxing subjective standards. I really don't see that why. Oh well. Life's no fun without a mystery, right? Hey, let's get a van and a dog, and a couple of chicks and take a lot of drugs and drive around the boonies. (Actually, that's not sarcastic. It sounds like a good idea some days.)
I don't see the identification as problematic. As I've expressed elsewhere, I find I fall into various categories depending upon the agreed definition and manner of approach.
When a black man is presumed guilty because he's black ...? That is, because other black men have comitted crimes? Or when I come across the occasional thinking Christian (imho)? It is unfortunate that the conditions contributing to a person's perception of you are so shallow and silly. But atheism does make strange bedfellows, and it's hard to ignore the side-considerations that come to represent "an atheist" by proxy of an atheist actually being that way. But if I was to decide that I was atheist, that I could no longer reconcile the careful balance of psychology, history, theology and reality satisfactorily, I must admit that it would not puzzle me that my atheism would make people afraid of me. I don't think atheists realize entirely what sort of silliness has come to be associated with the term.

As with the comparison: when I look around at my own experience in the world, taking in as much of the information as I can, I well understand why, were I Christian, people would fear that label and all the baggage it brings.

There's an old tag-line when dealing with "blondes": It's okay, dear. Someday they'll find a cure.

That's kind of how I try to feel about Christians. It's also what I think when someone says, "I'm an atheist." And that is where it all gets problematic.
Which is one of the reasons I attempt to constrain such broad definitions to the narrowest focus I can rightly subscribe to it.[/quote[That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Narrowing the focus only allows for a more specific definition. No issue exists in a vacuum; to me, the broader the considerations, the more complete the picture. Certes such a condition requires a greater amount of specific data, but ten murders in a city might reflect that something is wrong. However, when we view those ten murders as, say, part of the thousands a year in a nation like the US, we gain a better understanding of what's going wrong.
It is simply because labeling and classification are a natural human ability. We do it all the time, without thought or reason. It is what our minds do. However, the natural application is very subjective and loosely defined. When we truly attempt to reason though it we needs be more specific.
Inasmuch as it's what our minds do: our minds compel us to eat, sleep, procreate, and maintain the body. It's not that I contest the human tendency to classify and compare--it's essential to a developing logic system. But just as we do not rely on the most basic functions of our living process to be the whole of what we do (there is an argument to the contrary, but it's a matter of degrees) neither should we let the basic functions of our brain be the whole manifestation of its activity. Either option is "counterevolutionary" in the sense that they are counterproductive to evolutionary prosperity and progress.
I truly wish to continue in this vein but, as I mentioned, I do have time constraints. We need to narrow the topic for me to continue much further. I don't have time for many 3+ page well considered responses.
Such as it is.

I look forward to your further thoughts. I must admit that I've been working against time constraints themselves, but that battle is about to end in the inevitable defeat.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Yo people. I might just have ADD or something, but I can't read those posts: they are too long. Could you condense your points?

"Why be Satanic? We can look to the Bible to learn the ancient art of wrath."

That reminds me of an actual church promotion quote: "Why let depression kill you, let the church help"

"Sorry about the two-syllable words. "

The problem was not the vocabulary (which you could definately brush-up on), but the amount of "two-syllable" words. I'm quite confident a semi-intelligent person could understand the concept of "length" of a writing.

"Thankyou"

I believe he was insulting you, as, in fact, I would if you wrote anything of substance.

"** Attributing the beauty of science to nothing could easily cause one to lose zeal."

Where the hell did you get that idea of "nothing" from anyway? I have told you that that is NOT NOT NOT what science is attributed to.

So in otherwords, you are saying "I don't want to learn, because then I might not belive in god." That is sad.

It's a matter of standards

I'm quite confident a semi-intelligent person could understand the concept of "length" of a writing.
Funny, that. I used to be quite confident that a semi-intelligent person could read.

--Tiassa :cool:

Brief anaylsis

Upon asking for the atheist perspective concerning the validity of our origins amongst other questions, I have concluded that some attribute origins,life, the creation of the universe and the big bang to nothing,however, knowledgeable in the different aspects of science. Despite the zeal and curosity, few claim they would expect nothing once passing.

Alot of what Athiest attribute to life, the universe, etc. is based
on theory modeled by observable (empirical) data. Of course,
nobody can claim 100% accuracy because we dont have the
ability to watch what happens in any point in time (linear
existance is a pain in the butt that way). As far as what happens
when we die, I think I speak for most Athiests when I say
we simply have no expectations. My current understanding
of human existance suggests that when we die, *poof* end
of conciousness.

On a sidenote, I would be very interested to know what personal
experiences you have had that convince you without a doubt
in the existence of 'God'?

Thanks,

-CC

Lady,

There is a difference between saying "We don't know what caused the universe to start" and saying "Nothing caused the universe to start."

There is a difference between saying "We don't know exactly how life began" and saying "Life began from nothing."

Nobody thinks the universe or life came from nothing. We don't know exactly where they came from.

You can use God as a stop-gap if you want to. Put everything we don't know into the "God must have done it" basket. That's the easy option, and is what people have done since the dawn of intelligence.

"What causes lightning? .... God does."

Does this tell us anything useful? No. Can we be sure it is true? No. That's why some people want to look beyond this kind of explanation. Doing that leads to what you would call "mechanical" answers, and what other people would call science.

"What causes lightning? ... A charge imbalance between clouds and the ground, combined with ionisation of the air due to high electric fields caused by the charge imbalance. Charge equalisation leads to a discharge of high energy, which we call lightning."

A more complete explanation, don't you think?

"Where did life come from? ... God made it."

Can we do better than this? I think we can.

Re: This is disgraceful

Tiassa,

(1) Logically explain the origin's of human& animal evolution?

As time passed in the Universe, and it cooled away from the Big Bang, much differentiation occurred. As the basic units of matter came together according to natural physical law, certain results occurred. Hydrogen and oxygen made water. Molecules developed more and more complex. At the base of all physical relationships is energy. Some of the molecules made spent their energy and decayed. Others exploited their energy and formed more complex things. Life is no different from rust or a stone on the ground. The electricity in a living organism does more complex things than the energy in a rock's molecules, but that's the thing. Life is merely an electrical phenomenon developed within certain constraints. The properties of something don't do nothing, they are constantly in flux and motion. Look at a picture of the farthest object in the Universe you can find; do you realize that you have an integral, direct, and vital relationship to that object? Human and animal evolution are mere electrical phenomena, growing more and less complex according to environmental needs, seeking a more efficient and sustaining function in the Universe. Remember old TV sets? How when you turned them off they would glow for a while, and how the little dot would form over the tube, flickering and fading into darkness? Everything else is a perceptual accretion. Life is hard to examine in this conduct because we choose to make it more important than it is. But all substances, all compounds, all things radiate, give off energy. Life is merely a phenomenon that allows matter to refuel itself and operate as a dynamic system. All you really need to prove by this theory is that electricity exists, that radiation exists, and that objects have energy within their structures. I don't find any of these requisites a scientific stretch

** Intresting mechanics

** I hope the rest of this thread is intresting given its lenght ( I don't want a flat behind.(he-he)

Life is merely an electrical phenomenon capable of sustaining itself, capable of continuing to fuel and burn itself.

** However, some believe after death its over.

It is not necessary to presume that the earth was "designed" for human population.

** The universe is expanding.... Are flesh belongs to the elements of earth.

But, at present, we might say that the earth occurred and that life figured out the rest.

** Life with great thought and creativity.

(3) I hear that atheist base their belief on science, however has science disproved or proved the existence of God?

Science has not disproved or proven the existence of God directly. However, in examination of the attributes of God, most are found to be scientifically untenable. Specifically, the atheistic conclusion that there is no God is based in a certain limited objectivity. Objectivity, however, changes dynamically based on the acquisition of knowledge.

** Theres still a chance.

(4) As far as space travel goes we can't even get out of our own solar system so why dismiss the existence of God or any other life form?

As far as the Bible goes, God hasn't shown his face in two-thousand years, so why believe in what you can't seee?

** Jesus hasn't(flesh)... but Genuine Holyghost filled Christians
are his temples.

(7) Did a human being create him or herself? If so why are women still getting pregnant?[/b]

Most likely, human beings were the result of specific accidental genetic mutations fostered by environmental demands. While the line between species is most likely not one single generation. Nature created humans.

I don't believe we were just accidents

(8)What does a atheist expect after death? To go back to?

Kind of like television inasmuch as I ever understood it. When you die, that's it. Lights out, and no more worries. However, atheists are prone to believe whatever they will. I know one who wants to spend eternity as a ghost playing baseball in his grandson's cornfield.

*** They'll be in for a shock

(10) Can the non-existence of God be proved scientifically?

Depends on how you look at it.

Nothing to see, nothing to observe, nothing to calculate. God is, technically, a scientific non-issue. Of various phenomena attributed to God, we can often prove a certain amount. Was it a deluge from heaven? No, it was a natural climatological and meteorological phenomenon. Was it the wrath of God in heaven? No, it was lightning in a dry forest.

*** True enough the scientific method isn't designed for the paranormal.

(11) Science is a on going study of the universe....why?

Well, it seems that science is a natural function of humanity. Even when you're a child, picking up a rock and saying to yourself, "What is this? What does it do?" is science of a sort. Because you will test that rock, record data of what happens from the tests, and then let those results affect your perception on later occasions.

In a more formal structure, science is merely the recording of that natural process.

We humans see something and we are compelled to determine its relevance to us; this is a natural function of the idea of "I". If there is a self, there is "other", and understanding that "other" has become integral to the perpetuity of life.

** Curosity.........since the beginning.

Otherwise, we'd just be rocks, or puddles of goo, or something else inanimate and thoughtless in the Universe.

Nor are humans born knowing everything. Were that so, there would be no diaper industry, no baby food industry, no public schools, no colleges, no churches ... ad nauseam.

Science is an ongoing investigation of the natural Universe. We look because it is a vital human process. We continue because we do not know everything.

** The beauty of it..... we'll never know everything.

Now pay attention, atheists and theists alike: Scientific inquiry is an unfinished process. Christian doctrine is a finished process. To wit:

** Christanity is never finished

Christian principles are old, dogmatic, and their dynamism comes only from the human tendency to redefine things anew for each generation. Nonetheless, new "data" has been rejected in the form of various "heresies", the arrival of Islam, and so forth. Christianity is two-thousand years old. What is left to learn? Just a few tricks of the tongue to make you feel better?

**Devils not only speak in tongues but are wolves in sheeps clothing, unfortnately many are at pulpits.

Scientific principles are constantly reborn and reassimilated. Nobody in their right mind expects science to remain fixed like a religion. It's one of the primary differences between religious faith and scientific integrity.

** Science exist due to the humans desire to understand God. Mechanically, spiritually, or both, to each his own.

Originally posted by James R
Lady,

There is a difference between saying "We don't know what caused the universe to start" and saying "Nothing caused the universe to start."

There is a difference between saying "We don't know exactly how life began" and saying "Life began from nothing."

** Understand

Nobody thinks the universe or life came from nothing. We don't know exactly where they came from.

** Keep exploring

You can use God as a stop-gap if you want to. Put everything we don't know into the "God must have done it" basket. That's the easy option, and is what people have done since the dawn of intelligence.

"What causes lightning? .... God does."

Does this tell us anything useful? No. Can we be sure it is true? No. That's why some people want to look beyond this kind of explanation. Doing that leads to what you would call "mechanical" answers, and what other people would call science.

"What causes lightning? ... A charge imbalance between clouds and the ground, combined with ionisation of the air due to high electric fields caused by the charge imbalance. Charge equalisation leads to a discharge of high energy, which we call lightning."

** Don't misunderstand, the mechanics is part of the zeal of science,after all we learn such processes, we didn't create them. However, is there also another part of a human (Deep curosity) that attributes the properties and functions of science, which ever branch, to something?

Last edited:
"Funny, that. I used to be quite confident that a semi-intelligent person could read. "

I hope you didn't use the fact that people can't read YOUR writing as proof of that....

"I have concluded that some attribute origins,life, the creation of the universe and the big bang to nothing"

We have gone over this, it is not atributed to nothing, period.

"My current understanding
of conciousness."

That's my line of thinking. BUT the fact that we have a consciousness is the only "living" evidence I can see of having a soul. How can we compile all the data and thought from our mind in an almost instantanious line of thought? I mean, the cells in your mind are each separate life forms. It seems to me that a human should just act according to laws just like an asteroid or star. Rocks and stars don't have consciousness right?

Originally posted by

"I have concluded that some attribute origins,life, the creation of the universe and the big bang to nothing"

That's my line of thinking. BUT the fact that we have a consciousness is the only "living" evidence I can see of having a soul. How can we compile all the data and thought from our mind in an almost instantanious line of thought? I mean, the cells in your mind are each separate life forms. It seems to me that a human should just act according to laws just like an asteroid or star. Rocks and stars don't have consciousness right?

Frencheneesz

*** Consciousness & soul...what do you know, they go hand and hand.

*** And whoever said the end of conciousness?

of conciousness."

** Is Hell better than nothing.......hmmm

"Funny, that. I used to be quite confident that a semi-intelligent person could read. "

I hope you didn't use the fact that people can't read YOUR writing as proof of that....

*** All the english professors on this forum? Who needs college?

Lady

of conciousness."

** Is Hell better than nothing.......hmmm

No better than little green men on mars... why are you so
confident that your loving 'God' has set up a place of eternal
torture? Imagine, if you will, someone who dedicates his life
to saving lives, helping the sick heal, etc... If this person does
not believe in 'God' simply because he has not seen any proof
of its existance then he will be tortured for an eterenity? But
of course! It's natural selection of the Heavens! Those who