Before Jesus

but plenty I do know about humanity and the psychological makeup of humans.
And apparently a lot you don't know. It was a spontaneous act to help a fellow human who was where I'd been.
All conditional love is.
Circular argument. You make the definitions, and claim motives that weren't there, to suit your view. Never mind.
Who says that he hasn't already set in place procedures to guide humanity? The ignorance of man or the ignoring of truth and what is right is no fault of his own. Why would it be. If he wanted robots, he would have made them.
And again, you aren't reading what I write. I made no mention of robots. I said if we all recognised that we're in it together and pulled together for each other then we could make things better. There's no need for god to come into it.
But you have your prejudices, so I'll bow out.

Oli said:
And apparently a lot you don't know.
I am ever learning.

And again, you aren't reading what I write. I made no mention of robots. I said if we all recognised that we're in it together and pulled together for each other then we could make things better. There's no need for god to come into it.
But you have your prejudices, so I'll bow out.

Don't you see that everyone will have their own opinions, so how do you propose to pull everyone together for a common good, without eliminating peoples opinions/prejudices?

Cris,
Cris said:
That cannot be true; otherwise what is the point of the tree that gave that knowledge.
We don't know, but it likely had a specific purpose to be revealed when the time was ripe (pun alert!). Since it is described as a tree like all the others, an agricultural perspective might not be unwarranted:
Lev. 19:23 "'When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden; it must not be eaten. In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the LORD. But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the LORD your God.​
Maybe God wanted to wait until Adam & Eve were ready, or until the tree was ready, but either way, the tree was God's property, while the rest of Eden was Adam & Eve's to enjoy (Gen. 2:16). God's garden, God's conditions - but they weren't forced to obey Him.

Yes precisely, without the knowledge to distinguish between good and evil all our decisions would be strange. We take it for granted but A&E didn’t have that knowledge BEFORE that ate from the tree.
But if you take something for granted that is unwarranted by the text, you should expect to arrive at stange conclusions. The tree represented knowledge of good and evil, not knowledge of distinguishing between good and evil. Consider how distinction works: you weigh the alternatives, and come up with a conclusion: good or bad. Before then, it's simply raw data. If Adam and Eve lacked the knowledge to discern, God would supply it in the form of a conclusion (such as "you shall surely die"). Satan's temptation consisted out of presented an alternative conclusion. By listening to him and rejecting God's moral authority, Adam and Eve became their own judges of morality, and therefore had to start bearing the responsibility for wrong decisions.

An interesting Jewish interpretation is that "the tree did not give us moral awareness when we had none before, but transformed this awareness from one kind into another" (R. David Fohrman). "After eating from the tree, humanity's innate sense of moral awareness was transformed from concepts of true and false to concepts of good and evil."

Either way, there is no indication of it being an unfair "setup" in the text, and an attempt to load it with such an interpretation would need substantiation from the text. If we're not trying to understand what the author intended to convey, we might as well not bother reading it at all.

Right, so now we do have the knowledge and we should be held responsible for our actions, but A&E didn’t have that knowledge BEFORE they ate and thus cannot be held responsible for disobeying since they would not have known it was wrong.
But they did have the knowledge - God gave it to them. They were responsible for what God gave them, that's all. Even the assumption that they needed to come to the same conclusion independently, already casts doubt on God's motives - and that's when temptation gets a hold. If anything, this wasn't a test of their knowledge, but of their responsibility. If they couldn't be responsible for one instance of right vs. wrong (do vs. don't), how would they handle other moral decisions, especially the ones that had to rely on God's perspective?

I would argue that moral behaviour doesn't start with knowing the difference between right and wrong, but in actually applying the knowledge that you do have.

Last edited:
Lawdog,

No one wants to do evil. They mistake evil for good. That is why the serpent tempted them thus: "ye shall be as gods"
So why would you punish someone for making an honest mistake or because they had been deliberately misled. The correct action is to educate them not kill them.

Lawdog said:
holy cow this can get boring.
Yes, I agree. Let's talk about unconditional acts of good again.
Quigly said:
Atheists along with any other unsaved person would not be capable of unconditional good or unconditional love or unconditional joy. They are not capable of it.
So if I instinctively pull a child out of the path of a speeding car, I'm doing it for my own selfish reasons? For the acclaim, perhaps?

No. Tell me that that is an instinctive, unthinking, unconditional act of good or I'll get very annoyed. I'm not being guided by God in it - I have rejected him thrice and he's now given up on me. Perhaps he's using me, one of his abominations, to save the child? But, since I have free will, how could he manipulate me, an unbeliever, who is not capable of acts of unconditional good?

Quigly, and anyone who agrees with him: you are wrong about this and you know you are.

Let me ask you again: are atheists capable of acts of unconditional good?

KennyJC said:
More so than the average theist, I would suggest.

The debate is not which part of the community is more capable of love, joy, etc. (That is a specious argument) but where they come from. If you believe that they come from God (even to atheists!) then being cut off from God will take them away. If you believe that such things just exist or are man made then of course you will not agree, but this post did start out as an enquiry to christians about their views. Once again however it has become hijacked into a theist versus atheist set of diatribes. I would place equal blame on the atheists (who by the definition of the post should not be contributing at all) and by those whose view of christian beliefs is restricted and distorted by Roman Catholic religious dogma and who equally insist on attacking atheists and thus take the discussion away at a tangent.

I believe God is the originator of love, joy and all the good things that make life a pleasure. God did not reserve these for christians or Roman Catholics or any other part of the human race. They were freely given to all. So of course atheists can enjoy them just as much as anyone else. And yes there are very many happy atheists around! I know many of them and yes there are many very miserable christians (I know some of them too!) and I am afraid that I would certainly say that I have never seen much joy in most of the Roman Catholic (or high Anglican for that matter) services I have been to (with a few exceptions). If the services at my (evangelical Anglican) church were not joyous and good fun I would not go. Why go somewhere to be made miserable? So can we please stop this nonsense from one side that atheists are much happier, cleverer, more loving than theists and the equal crap from the other side that theists are happier, cleverer, more loving. Do you who argue such nonsense only have friends with beliefs like your own? Let's get real. This world consists of all sorts of people with all the normal mix of emotions, skills, attributes and attitudes and they are not simply there because of their particular religious beliefs (or lack of them).

The problem to which I was trying to allude in my earlier post is that some people (whether they call themselves, atheist, agnostic, christian or whatever) actually worship the god of materialism and ultimately that does produce an extremely unsatisfactory, frustrating and miserable life. That was the problem of the rich man in the parable. He had money but he would not do anything useful with it such as helping the poor man, Lazarus. I have seen that many times during my life, including within my own close family. But also included in my extended family is a household of very happy, loving and giving atheists, so I do not harbour the prejudices ascribed to christians by atheists on this site nor do I agree with the prejudices harboured by some of the theists!

I am sorry to say (as a christian) that many atheists do more of God's work than many who call themselves 'christians' but who in reality merely go through religious observances, much as the religious establishment did in Jesus' day.

regards,

Gordon.

redarmy11 said:
Yes, I agree. Let's talk about unconditional acts of good again.

So if I instinctively pull a child out of the path of a speeding car, I'm doing it for my own selfish reasons? For the acclaim, perhaps?
That would be your moral standard and each person is raised with a different moral standard, doesn't make it an act of unconditional good, if nothing, it was an act based on the conditioning of humanity from your parents, friends, love ones, ect... Unfortunately, the condition of the humanity who is passing on this conditioning are all gravely flawed by the inherent sin that has been passed down throughout all of time.

No. Tell me that that is an instinctive, unthinking, unconditional act of good or I'll get very annoyed. I'm not being guided by God in it - I have rejected him thrice and he's now given up on me. Perhaps he's using me, one of his abominations, to save the child? But, since I have free will, how could he manipulate me, an unbeliever, who is not capable of acts of unconditional good?
Conditioning...
Quigly, and anyone who agrees with him: you are wrong about this and you know you are.
Not looking to have a following, but I believe it to be truth, just as you believe it to be false.
Let me ask you again: are atheists capable of acts of unconditional good?
Let me tell you again. Atheists as well as everyone else are capable of conditional good through the conditioning of a moral standard taught to individuals such as yourself by finite limited people. If you miss how everyones moral standard could be in error when compared to the righteousness of an infinte unlimited God than I don't know what to say. I surely don't need to persuade or convince you, but hopefully, you would take a minute to at least ponder (as I have done on numerous questions on this and other threads) these things.

Quigly said:
If you miss how everyones moral standard could be in error when compared to the righteousness of an infinte unlimited God than I don't know what to say. I surely don't need to persuade or convince you, but hopefully, you would take a minute to at least ponder (as I have done on numerous questions on this and other threads) these things.
Let me put this in context. I was responding to this quote:
Quigly said:
Atheists along with any other unsaved person would not be capable of unconditional good or unconditional love or unconditional joy. They are not capable of it.
This quote, in saying that "atheists aren't etc." implies that "Christians are etc". As long as we're clear that you were comparing atheists to your perfect, imaginary God, and not to His representatives here on Earth I have no problem with it.

I mean, you're not implying that a Christian is more moral than me by virtue of his belief - are you?

Cris said:
Lawdog,

So why would you punish someone for making an honest mistake or because they had been deliberately misled. The correct action is to educate them not kill them.

Nevertheless, a child must be punished for disobeying the parent, even if the child was misled by a bad group of kids. It is for the child's own good, not out of some twisted motivation of the parent.

redarmy11 said:
Let me put this in context. I was responding to this quote:

This quote, in saying that "atheists aren't etc." implies that "Christians are etc". As long as we're clear that you were comparing atheists to your perfect, imaginary God, and not to His representatives here on Earth I have no problem with it.

I mean, you're not implying that a Christian is more moral than me by virtue of his belief - are you?
All men are bound by the same inherent sin.

In my context and belief to duly state, is that Christ as a man was perfect in moral judgements with pure motives. (capable of unconditional good.)

Quigly said:
All men are bound by the same inherent sin.
OK.

But I still think that me pulling that imaginary child out of the path of that speeding, imaginary car was selfless enough to qualify me as a minor deity at least.

redarmy11 said:
OK.

But I still think that me pulling that imaginary child out of the path of that speeding, imaginary car was selfless enough to qualify me as a minor deity at least.
You'll have to come up with a better name than Redarmy to be a deity ;)

Gordon said:
The debate is not which part of the community is more capable of love, joy, etc. (That is a specious argument) but where they come from. If you believe that they come from God (even to atheists!) then being cut off from God will take them away. If you believe that such things just exist or are man made then of course you will not agree, but this post did start out as an enquiry to christians about their views.
You are talking relativism here

Once again however it has become hijacked into a theist versus atheist set of diatribes. I would place equal blame on the atheists (who by the definition of the post should not be contributing at all) and by those whose view of christian beliefs is restricted and distorted by Roman Catholic religious dogma and who equally insist on attacking atheists and thus take the discussion away at a tangent.
Without our religious dogma christianity would never have survived the past 2000 years. So you think the Pope has a distorted mind as well?

I believe God is the originator of love, joy and all the good things that make life a pleasure. God did not reserve these for christians or Roman Catholics or any other part of the human race. They were freely given to all. So of course atheists can enjoy them just as much as anyone else.
They cannot know the true light of God because they have no faith.

And yes there are very many happy atheists around! I know many of them and yes there are many very miserable christians (I know some of them too!) and I am afraid that I would certainly say that I have never seen much joy in most of the Roman Catholic (or high Anglican for that matter) services I have been to (with a few exceptions). If the services at my (evangelical Anglican) church were not joyous and good fun I would not go. Why go somewhere to be made miserable?
That is a foolish statement. Joy does not always represent itself in obvious ways. Why dont you listen to some of our Gregorian Chant for once, then you may hear a faint echo of divine beatitude.

So can we please stop this nonsense from one side that atheists are much happier, cleverer, more loving than theists and the equal crap from the other side that theists are happier, cleverer, more loving. Do you who argue such nonsense only have friends with beliefs like your own? Let's get real. This world consists of all sorts of people with all the normal mix of emotions, skills, attributes and attitudes and they are not simply there because of their particular religious beliefs (or lack of them).
No we cannot stop. This is because our joy is supernatural and their "happiness" is worldly, carnal, and superficial.

The problem to which I was trying to allude in my earlier post is that some people (whether they call themselves, atheist, agnostic, christian or whatever) actually worship the god of materialism and ultimately that does produce an extremely unsatisfactory, frustrating and miserable life. That was the problem of the rich man in the parable. He had money but he would not do anything useful with it such as helping the poor man, Lazarus. I have seen that many times during my life, including within my own close family. But also included in my extended family is a household of very happy, loving and giving atheists, so I do not harbour the prejudices ascribed to christians by atheists on this site nor do I agree with the prejudices harboured by some of the theists! I am sorry to say (as a christian) that many atheists do more of God's work than many who call themselves 'christians' but who in reality merely go through religious observances, much as the religious establishment did in Jesus' day.
You are becoming a Judas. When will you stop sitting on the fence and join the ranks of Jesus Christ. Do you think he had alot of nice things to say to the Pharasees? Be like Jesus and cut them down to size.

To the thread starter...My apologies as this thread went way off track from the original purpose and I was partly to blame for the rabbit trails.

Back