Can former atheists explain what atheism is?

It doesn’t work like that.
I know religion doesn't work on evidence, it works on faith and those gullible enough to believe things that cannot be demonstrated.
That’s not what you said.
I see, you presuppose that my ability to ask such questions depends on there being a god. Poppycock.
You don’t know what faith is, especially seeing as how you have lots of it.
I have no faith that god doesn't exist either.
It’s kind of pathetic how you are controlled by labels and genres.
Again you presume to know what's in my mind. Presuppositionalism is dumb because it assumes the thing it's trying to prove. Circular logic.

The problem with the world is that smart people are full of doubts and dumb people are full of confidence.

Jan Ardena:

Atheism is not supported by current science.
Put it this way: atheist is not inconsistent with current science. Neither are certain brands of theism, of course. Creationist beliefs like yours, however, are inconsistent with science, so if they are part of your theism then your theism is inconsistent with science.

Science = knowledge = God.
God = knowledge? Is this that magical knowledge you keep going on about? Science isn't about that.

Atheists are forced to believe that the desire and ability “to know”, is a result of billions of years of evolution, starting from nothing.
Atheists aren't forced to believe anything. That's more often a feature of religious dogma.

Evidence presupposes truth. Truth presupposes God

Okay, so if I'm to post on this forum in English, I am presupposing that it follows everyone who comes here can read English, but that doesn't follow, does it, because not everyone can read English. Does this then mean we cannot make sense of truth without presupposing God? Or better yet, does God imply truth such that we cannot even assert truth without ever denying God? Is God then logically consistent with truth?

If so, then your claim is flawed, not only inconsistent, but actually contradicts itself. This is shown in the first claim where you say, "Evidence presupposes truth" yet nothing of what you have ever claimed here has the support of evidence, the claim fails from the get go as you can no more show a truth than you can presupposing one; ie. God.

If you can't presuppose a truth without evidence, then I can easily claim Leprechauns race unicorns in the Kentucky Derby and it will stand as an absolute truth, based on your logic.

Does this then mean we cannot make sense of truth without presupposing God? Or better yet, does God imply truth such that we cannot even assert truth without ever denying God? Is God then logically consistent with truth?

Evidence presupposes truth. Truth presupposes God, is self-explanetory.
If you don't get it, don't worry about it.
It simply means the destination of attaining knowledge, ultimately leads back to God.

If so, then your claim is flawed, not only inconsistent, but actually contradicts itself. This is shown in the first claim where you say, "Evidence presupposes truth" yet nothing of what you have ever claimed here has the support of evidence, the claim fails from the get go as you can no more show a truth than you can presupposing one; ie. God.

''I'' am not my physical body is a truth.

If you can't presuppose a truth without evidence, then I can easily claim Leprechauns race unicorns in the Kentucky Derby and it will stand as an absolute truth, based on your logic.

I cannot be the thing, that I own, is evidence that ''I'' am not my body.

jan

Given that you have stated that you believe in Santa Claus - that's funny.

Another lie!
I don't believe IN Santa Claus. I believe that Santa Claus (as we know and recognise his character) exists.
And so do you.

Let's not forget your indirect claim of being in the Garden of Eden, alongside Adam and Eve.

jan

Put it this way: atheist is not inconsistent with current science. Neither are certain brands of theism, of course. Creationist beliefs like yours, however, are inconsistent with science, so if they are part of your theism then your theism is inconsistent with science.

How is God, being the origin of all, the ultimate destination of knowledge, inconsistent with science?

God = knowledge? Is this that magical knowledge you keep going on about? Science isn't about that.

What is Science about, if not to attain knowledge?

Atheists aren't forced to believe anything. That's more often a feature of religious dogma.

I think religious dogma, is atheistic in nature, because despite their pomp and ceremony, they cannot recognise God.
A good example of what I'm saying comes from the book of Matthew...

Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You." But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign;

jan.

How is God, being the origin of all, the ultimate destination of knowledge, inconsistent with science?
I didn't say that. I said Creationism is inconsistent with science.

What is Science about, if not to attain knowledge?
You're right. It's not about attaining magical knowledge, like "just knowing" that God is real, magically. You were right to cross out that reference to magical knowledge when you started talking about science. Well done.

I think religious dogma, is atheistic in nature, because despite their pomp and ceremony, they cannot recognise God.
A good example of what I'm saying comes from the book of Matthew...

Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You." But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign;
Hmm. Quoting religious dogma in order to support your point about religious dogma being atheistic in nature. Interesting approach.

I know religion doesn't work on evidence, it works on faith and those gullible enough to believe things that cannot be demonstrated.

Unless you are all-knowing, all decisions is based on faith, it's strength based on the natural likelihood of the outcome.
When you perpetually ask for other to show you God, and that way you'll accept it's existence, is a demonstration of wilful ignorance.

I see, you presuppose that my ability to ask such questions depends on there being a god. Poppycock.

I think you need go back through this particular segment of our overall discussion. You'll realize you have strayed somewhat.

I have no faith that god doesn't exist either.

What do you have faith in, and why?

Again you presume to know what's in my mind.

Of course I know what's in your mind, we're in a discussion. :rolleyes:

Presuppositionalism is dumb because it assumes the thing it's trying to prove. Circular logic.

Does logic exist?
Do we use logic to determine that?
Isn't that a cirular argument?

The problem with the world is that smart people are full of doubts and dumb people are full of confidence

Are you saying I am a dumb person?

jan.

It simply means the destination of attaining knowledge, ultimately leads back to God.

Yet, you established through your so-called logic that is not even remotely valid as YOU yourself said it all starts with evidence, something you don't even possess. Try again.

''I'' am not my physical body is a truth.

With no evidence, the thing YOU said must be first and foremost. Again, you're just tossing out empty assertions. Try again.

I cannot be the thing, that I own, is evidence that ''I'' am not my body.

No, that's an empty assertion because you lack evidence to support your alleged truths. That last claims is just double speak.

Sorry Jan, but you failed to live up to your own words, yet again.

That would be atheist thinking.
Pro-tip for Jan:
Saying 'it's atheist thinking' is not a hit against an argument.
An argument is an argument. It stands on its merits, regardless of who said it.

And you have not refuted the argument made. To-wit:

When you say things exist - such as Santa Claus - you have acknowledged that 'to exist' can mean exist as a concept.
And likewise, we all acknowledge that God exists - as a concept. It does not mean God exists as an objective entity any more than Santa does.

This you know, and trying to play word games is simply evidence that you are aware your rationalizations hold no water.

You said creationist beliefs like mine.
So can you answer the question please?
Sorry, which question? Whether a God would be inconsistent with science? It might be, or it might not be. It depends what the God entails.

What do you think to it?
What do I think of injunctions such as "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign"?

I think it's a clever way to dissuade the religious flock from asking too many difficult questions. It's a recurring theme in virtually all religious texts: the believer is supposed to have faith in the god(s). One must not "test" the gods or question them. The unspoken danger is that the gods won't stand up to testing, which might result in followers deserting the faith.

Back