Can Scientists & Mystics Work Together?

Wrong.
There's no "faith" involved.
You misunderstand the level of "attachment" to dark matter.

When it is said that something is "the most abundant matter in the universe" but have found none of it in fifty years of intensely serious looking, that is the absence of proof but the presence of faith if they still believe it exists.

A game of semantics will not change the fact that there are those types who fancy themselves to be scientists when they really are better described as hypocrites with a serious degree of attachment to their own illusions.

When it is said that something is "the most abundant matter in the universe" but have found none of it in fifty years of intensely serious looking, that is the absence of proof but the presence of faith if they still believe it exists.
Wrong again.
You're making assumptions as to what is actually said, and the degree of reliance on it.

Wrong again.
You're making assumptions as to what is actually said, and the degree of reliance on it.

I have made no assumptions you have made only unsupported assertions.

To support my assertion I linked to a post that is published scientists vs published scientist, either of which could honestly and competently out debate any one of us on this blog. The issue in the linked post is the faith of scientists.

Roger Penrose, who was teaching scientists while you and I were still soiling diapers, also points out the great amount of faith in the scientific thinking. Link.

Intellectual honesty is slow to evolve.

I have made no assumptions you have made only unsupported assertions.
Really?
When it is said that something is "the most abundant matter in the universe"
Assumption/ misreading.
It isn't said "to be" it's said to "possibly be" or that "currently we think".

but have found none of it in fifty years of intensely serious looking, that is the absence of proof but the presence of faith if they still believe it exists.
Ooh a whole fifty years...
And of course absolutely nobody is looking at alternatives are they?

Intellectual honesty is slow to evolve.
Quite.

So the fifty years you're talking about is for... what?
Cold dark matter? Only 25.

As to "faith", again you're you're assuming.
It's only so "popular" because it's the "best" answer we have at the moment. Other solutions are being sought and other options are being tested.
Science, and scientists are fully aware that ANY theory may prove to be incorrect should new evidence turn up.
Where's the faith?

Really?

Assumption/ misreading.
It isn't said "to be" it's said to "possibly be" or that "currently we think".

Ooh a whole fifty years...
And of course absolutely nobody is looking at alternatives are they?

Quite.

So the fifty years you're talking about is for... what?
Cold dark matter? Only 25.

As to "faith", again you're you're assuming.
It's only so "popular" because it's the "best" answer we have at the moment. Other solutions are being sought and other options are being tested.
Science, and scientists are fully aware that ANY theory may prove to be incorrect should new evidence turn up.
Where's the faith?

Picky little word games.

I notice you are ignoring the published scientists I have linked to. Shall I put their quotes up?

Perhaps that way you can see that it is your opinion against their opinion, not your opinion versus mine.

The article I linked to tells what published, famous scientists say about faith in the scientific community, NOT what I say, but you fully ignore them saying I am the one saying it.

I am the one quoting what they are saying.

Leading scientists say that faith is a substantial part of today's scientific theories. Get it yet or shall I put up their quotes?

I notice you are ignoring the published scientists I have linked to. Shall I put their quotes up?
Please do, since all I got from that link was
The Ecocosmology blog calls out for a movement toward a new physics free from the blind faith Penrose talks about.

Perhaps that way you can see that it is your opinion against their opinion, not your opinion versus mine.
So what?
They're entitled to their view of things, just as I am of mine.

The article I linked to tells what published, famous scientists say about faith in the scientific community
Not that I could see.

Leading scientists say that faith is a substantial part of today's scientific theories.
So what, again?
How many?
How many, ooh leading scientists, disagree?
Does the article mention those? Any quotes from the dissenters?
I mean, that's a carefully cherry-picked selection you've got there isn't it?

Agreed.

Wrong, we know evolution actually happens.

Blind faith in what?
What "blind faith" is needed to say "we don't know how life started"?
What "blind faith" is needed to say "this, this and this show that evolution happens"?
What "evidence"?
There isn't any evidence on creation.

If "the scientists" being spoken of refers to cosmologists, many if not most of them start with the Big Bang.

The Big Bang is said to have caused machine evolution.

Machines evolved sequentially, not randomly. First atoms and molecules, then elements. From simple to complex. Finally complex stars, complex machines.

Then other machines evolved, such as planetary systems.

Then biological forms evolved after that.

If machines are "life" one scenario descends, however, if only biological entities are "life", then another scenario develops.

Which came first, machine life or biological life needs to be answered? :shrug:

The Big Bang is said to have caused machine evolution.
Machines evolved sequentially, not randomly. First atoms and molecules, then elements. From simple to complex. Finally complex stars, complex machines.
Then other machines evolved, such as planetary systems.
So what?

If machines are "life" one scenario descends, however, if only biological entities are "life", then another scenario develops.
Really?
And those scenarios would be...?

Which came first, machine life or biological life needs to be answered? :shrug:
Haven't you answered that yourself?

Then biological forms evolved after that.

And no, it doesn't need to be answered for evidence of evolution.

So what?

Really?
And those scenarios would be...?

Haven't you answered that yourself?

And no, it doesn't need to be answered for evidence of evolution.

I think you forgot that the question is "what is life" ... that something you said science had no proof of its beginning. That depends on what life is.

Is a machine life or not is a different question than which came first life or non life.:bugeye: Is a machine life or does there have to be biological components too?

I think you forgot that the question is "what is life"
No I didn't.

... that something you said science had no proof of its beginning
Not true.
I said we don't know HOW it began, not that we had no proof of it beginning.

Is a machine life or not is a different question than which came first life or non life.:bugeye: Is a machine life or does there have to be biological components too?
Doesn't particularly matter when the topic is evolution.
I.e. life has already started.
Science admits (as stated MANY times in this thread alone) that we do not as yet know how life started.

You're grasping at strawmen, or doing your own semantic juggling.
Whichever, you haven't posted any of these quotes from "leading scientists".
(With links to sources please, just so that context is available).

Please do, since all I got from that link was

So what?
They're entitled to their view of things, just as I am of mine.

Not that I could see.

So what, again?
How many?
How many, ooh leading scientists, disagree?
Does the article mention those? Any quotes from the dissenters?
I mean, that's a carefully cherry-picked selection you've got there isn't it?
--------------
PENROSE: "But when you accept the weirdness of quantum mechanics [in the macro world], you have to give up the idea of space-time as we know it from Einstein. The greatest weirdness here is that it doesn’t make sense. If you follow the rules, you come up with something that just isn’t right."

"You’re led to a completely crazy point of view."

"My own view is that quantum mechanics is not exactly right, and I think there’s a lot of evidence for that."

"INTERVIEWER: In general, the ideas in theoretical physics seem increasingly fantastical. Take string theory. All that talk about 11 dimensions or our universe’s existing on a giant membrane seems surreal.

PENROSE: You’re absolutely right. And in a certain sense, I blame quantum mechanics, because people say, “Well, quantum mechanics is so nonintuitive; if you believe that, you can believe anything that’s non*intuitive.” But, you see, quantum mechanics has a lot of experimental support, so you’ve got to go along with a lot of it. Whereas string theory has no experimental support."

"[My new book] is called Fashion, Faith and Fantasy in the New Physics of the Universe. Each of those words stands for a major theoretical physics idea. ['Fantasy'] is quantum mechanics at all levels...."
-------------
(LINK).

An entire section of the book deals with Faith ... in the New Physics of the Universe. That leading scientist, very proficient in advanced mathematics of physics, says there is faith in science even as we speak.

more? There are many more scientists who say the same thing without reference to Penrose.

Hmm so what we have (from a promotional fluff piece) is Penrose claiming that QM isn't quite right. And ALSO claiming that it has evidence in its favour.
Oh wait, there's a sentence that says "An entire section of the book deals with Faith" and... oh, nothing else.
Is that your sentence? Or from the fluff piece?
So what's the book say?

And the link has a bit that says "It’s almost sacrilegious to attack them. And the other one, even more sacrilegious, is quantum mechanics at all levels—so that’s the faith. People somehow got the view that you really can’t question it."
Hmm people got the view? Which people? Him? It's not the case AFAIK. Physicists look down all sorts of avenues: QM may be the mainstream, and in use, but "sacrilegious" to look at alternatives? What does he mean by "attack"? Simply question? Or claim outright it's wrong with no alternatives offered?

So far you've dismally failed to illustrate, let alone support your contention.

All you've given is Penrose giving his opinion in a promotional piece trying to sell copies of his new book. No substance.

Last edited:
--------------

An entire section of the book deals with Faith ... in the New Physics of the Universe. That leading scientist, very proficient in advanced mathematics of physics, says there is faith in science even as we speak.

Baloney. You clearly have misrepresented the quotes in that the "faith" referred isn't the same blind faith theists profess.

the question is "what is life" ... that something you said science had no proof of its beginning.
That depends on what life is.

"Science has no proof of its beginning" is misinterpretation of how science deals with "what is life" issue. Science can not pinpoint the beginning of life, because there is no such a point. It took around a billion years for DNA to evolve as a code carrier for life, and no body can select a date, a particular specific event to show as "the beginning". When you ask "what is life"? The answers require time specification. Then we can start to talk about, or define the "life of this or that era": It could be "life on planet earth 3.5 billion years ago", "2 billion years ago", "a billion year ago", or "life on planet earth today". Each stage has different catalogue of species, environmental conditions, and level of evolution. There was no "initial", "unchanged" state that we could call it as "life".
Just as everything else, DNA did not come out of nowhere, and suddenly. DNA itself has been evolving as a code generator of life, and mutating in different levels; forming new species, can/can not protect existing species, adapting/is not adapting according to changing conditions and many other functional improvements. You can call this as a mechanism, but calling it a "machine" requires a second thought.
Another issue about science dealing with life is that science has a dynamic, yet restricted definition of life: It is dynamic, because last 250 years of history brought the definition of "life" from animals and plants to bacteria, viruse and ultimately the complex structure of code sharing, mutating, evolving DNA and RNA molecule regime of planet earth. Yet, science did not extended the definition of life to atoms, or galactic systems: Because the major characteristics of life differ from non-alive things such as rocks, minerals or a burning star.
Separation points are already there: Life tends to grow (through replicating, copying genes, having sex, depending on species and their cell structures), non-life does not. The term "organic" does not make sense without life: At the end of the day, moleculer materials of DNA are lifeless chemicals, molecules. What makes this chemistry alive, is code, RNA or DNA. We define life on these basis, since earth has the only example of life we know. If any other life form exists in somewhere in the universe, science can not speculate about it, it is out of observation. Could there be a self replicating inorganic material out there? Nobody knows as fact.

And I have a problem with this "machine life" expression: If you say that atoms are the expression of quantum "mechanism", I can understand that. However, atoms, planetery systems do not have internal replicating systems, which are crucial for out definition of life. They do evolve, like everything else in the universe. That doesn't mean that they evolve, or transform same as life do: Their existential dynamics are different than life. Moreover, you can predict the cycles of planets or reactions of atoms, while you can not guess how life will evolve in billion years time. Just as you couldn't guess human existence while dinosaurs were ruling the planet; or you couldn't guess animal and plant existence when you examined so called primordial soup of 3.7 billion years ago.

Machines, are parts of a project, or system. You can call a kidney as a machine within a living animal, yet animal itself is not a machine. You can call a clock as a machine, but not it is not the time itself. Clock only make sense if there is a civilization with a perception of time expressed as this clock machinery.

There is another problem with alinging mechanic existence with organic existence: They can both depend upon same material (let's say atom) and same conditions (gravity, pressure, light, etc.); yet performance and existential roles differ depending on the project: A carbon atom can be found as a piece of diamond, as well as an important component of life's cellular ingredients.

PENROSE: "But when you accept the weirdness of quantum mechanics [in the macro world], you have to give up the idea of space-time as we know it from Einstein. The greatest weirdness here is that it doesn’t make sense. If you follow the rules, you come up with something that just isn’t right."

You see, each levels of existence has different set of weirdness. If you are serious about this idea, you should also ask yourself how weird to have moving, caputulating, talking animals out of molecules.

You see, each levels of existence has different set of weirdness. If you are serious about this idea, you should also ask yourself how weird to have moving, caputulating, talking animals out of molecules.
This is one the reasons science will have to capitulate , and say creation is the cause, it is not just a matter of mixing chemicals, that is why the evidence shows that life comes from life. Life does not come from none life.
You can have a healthy person, that has just died of lack of oxygen. All the chemicals are there, all the tissue is there, and the DNA is there. But there is no life.

This is one the reasons science will have to capitulate , and say creation is the cause, it is not just a matter of mixing chemicals, that is why the evidence shows that life comes from life. Life does not come from none life.
Still wrong.

You can have a healthy person, that has just died of lack of oxygen. All the chemicals are there, all the tissue is there, and the DNA is there. But there is no life.
And also wrong.
When the oxygen stops the reactions stop.

And also wrong.
When the oxygen stops the reactions stop.
So science can not do this now. How is something that has never been alive going to get up and running? It is not just chemistry. Every thing is about systems. That is why life comes from life.

So science can not do this now. How is something that has never been alive going to get up and running? It is not just chemistry. Every thing is about systems. That is why life comes from life.
Failure of understanding again.
Part of the system is that the reactions once started need to keep going. Once halted how do they re-start?

Failure of understanding again.
Part of the system is that the reactions once started need to keep going. Once halted how do they re-start?
That is why life comes from life, these systems, are started with the previous life, so that life is continuous. Even if it is a single cells the cell has to divide, to produce another one. Science has never found life coming from non life. Creation can do this, but how can it just happen on it's own? This is problem science faces with this idea they have. This also hold true if science creates life in a lab. They can not show that life just happened on it's own by doing that. That shows life comes from life.( scientists )

That is why life comes from life
More assumptions.

Creation can do this, but how can it just happen on it's own?
Ah I see.
Because you don't know you assume...

This is problem science faces with this idea they have. This also hold true if science creates life in a lab. They can not show that life just happened on it's own by doing that. That shows life comes from life.( scientists )
Once again you're using a false argument.
Because something hasn't been shown you automatically assume that the opposite therefore must true.

Back