Christianity, My foot in my mouth, and more

As I've noted elswhere, all selections seem based on the following two principles:
1. My revelation says that my revelation is better than your revelation.
2. It seems to me that a Supernatural God would act just like a really nice Natural Guy.

Subsequent, I'm asking you to tell me something about what you've observed (and from where) that led you to the above conclusion... any specific books and/or websites read, classes taken, synagogues/mosques/temples/churches/etc. visited would help me with my inevitable search for knowledge.

Understand that I only have a limited knowledge of Christianity, and a shallow understanding of other major world religions as one might take in from public school (albeit liberal) and The Simpsons. If I find a different way of looking at your question, I'll let you know (but by then, this discussion will have died and we'll have moved on, each of us looking and wishing for quick answers to monumental questions).

Still reading the rest of the links.

Originally posted by secretasianman
It seems clear that if one claims that there was no beginning to the universe, then this is equivalent to saying that there have been an actual infinite number of past events in the history of the universe.
What the word Universe means becomes somewhat confused when dealing with these topics. Traditionally, the Universe included everything... infinite and without boundaries. The concept of a 'closed' Universe and something beyond it is rather new. One needs to be specific in identifying whether one is discussing conditions within our MST continuum, that which lies beyond it, or both. As applies here you are specifically including that which is hypothesized to exist outside of our MST.

Conditions beyond our MST are purely hypothetical. Conventions of temporal relativity and causality are merely assumptions and in many cases are not at all applicable. What happened 'outside' of time is not constrained by temporal logic. i.e. If time does not exist outside of our Universe conditions such as 'before' and 'after' have no meaning.

Does it really make sense to say that there are as many black books in the library as there are red and black books together? Furthermore, I could withdraw all the black books and not change the total holdings in the library. In this way, actual infinity, if it exists in the real world, implies unreasonable consequences.
This is simply a poor understanding of infinity. There are larger and smaller infinities. This is a well accepted in mathematics.

e.g. The infinite number of odd integers is less than the infinite number of all integers (even and odd). While both numbers are infinite they are not equal.

If we claim that there was no beginning to the universe, then this is equivalent to saying that the beginning of the universe was at negative infinity. But if that were the case, then the past could never have been exhaustively traversed to reach the present.
This, of course assumes that time and causality exist beyond the Universe. Which brings up an interesting hypocrisy in this argument; it assumes that scientific explanations must adhere to temporal and causal constraints but the God hypothesis does not. Please defend this position.

in the real world, we can always approach infinity, but never reach it
One can never "approach" infinity... no matter how far one "travels" there will always be an infinite "distance" left to go. Geometrically: On an infinite line every point is the center.

Most remarkable of all is the fact that in science, as in the Bible, the world begins with an act of creation."
No, according to science the Universe simply occurred. The phrase 'act of creation' assumes a creator. Science does not. One must be aware of the hidden assumptions in language.

Another scientific theory is actually a law, the second law of thermodynamics, involving a concept known as entropy. It is one of the fundamental, best-established laws of science. The second law states that the universe is irreversibly moving toward a state of maximum disorder and minimum energy.
Only in a static or expanding Universe. If there is enough matter in the Universe for gravity to cause it to collapse again universal entropy will reverse. Current evidence seems to indicate that there is just enough to cause this collapse. Additionally, 'minimum energy' is misleading there is no dissipation of energy from the Universe only a dispersion throughout.

But since a state of maximum entropy has not yet been reached, the universe has not been here forever.
This is a straw-man argument. No one is suggesting that the universe has existed in a static or expanding state for an infinite amount of time.

The principle that something does not come from nothing without cause is a reasonable one.
Actually this is contradicted by empirical evidence. Research 'virtual particles'. Quantum physics violates many 'common sense' notions.

By contrast, God does not need a cause, since he is neither an event nor a contingent being.
He is a necessary Being and such a being does not need a cause. In fact, it is a categorical fallacy to ask for a cause for God since this is really asking for a cause for the Being from which the first event arose.

God is only thus by definition, there is no empirical evidence upon which to base this assumption. It is a much simpler solution that the Universe itself is an uncaused cause; necessary rather than contingent. There is no need to introduce God here at all.

However, the fundamental forces of physics do fit this 'requirement'. They are neither events nor are they contingent upon anything.

(namely God coming into being)
This statement indicates that there was a point at which God did not exist. You thereby run into the same infinite reduction you were so set against above. Which is it to be? Has God always existed or did he 'self-create'? Please remember to explain the apparent logical contradictions within whichever position you take.

But since it was established that the universe does have a beginning, we must accept the fact that there is such a thing as the "first event." And this event, by the very nature of events, must have been caused. And this cause, since it is the cause of time and the universe, must have existed outside of time and the universe.
Of course, even accepting this argument, there is no evidence that this cause must be God.

One can possibly think that it was the Laws of Nature (impersonal laws of physics or math) that somehow caused the first event, for that is the only impersonal, immaterial thing that could have existed prior to the first event. However, the vague idea that laws of nature can cause events is faulty.
Hilarious!!!!! Please show me one single event, ever, in the entire history of the Universe that was not caused by the laws and forces of nature.

The law of physics decree that when one billiard ball (A) sets another billiard ball (B) in motion, the momentum lost by A exactly equals the momentum gained by B. This is a law. That is, this the pattern to which the movement of the two billiard balls must conform - provided, of course, that something set ball A in motion. And here comes the snag. The law won't set it in motion.
Ah... here's the problem. The author is excluding the fundamental forces of nature. Forces, such as gravity, do indeed set the 'balls' in motion. No 'shooter' is needed; the 'balls' move of their own accord. Incidentally, you might wish to progress beyond classical Newtonian physics.

And however far we trace the story back we would never find the Laws of Nature causing anything. The obvious conclusion is this: in the whole history of the universe the Laws of Nature have never produced a single event.
And here the fallacy is apparent. Every single scrap of verifiable evidence indicates that the fundamental forces of physics are responsible for everything that has happened. The laws of physics simply describe how these forces interact.

In the world, persons or agents spontaneously act to bring about events (which poses a huge problem to the whole idea that humans are nothing more than conglomerations of molecules in motion, but we won't get into that here).
How convenient that you refuse to get into that here and simply take this as a given. I reject the premise that beings act spontaneously. Until it is proven you have no argument. Please demonstrate the uncaused (spontaneous) origination of 'will'.

In summary, it is most reasonable to believe that the universe had a beginning which was caused by a timeless, personal agent.
Sorry, no. Thus far you have given nothing that supports the existence, much less the necessity of such an entity. Your argument has been based upon layers of assumption and logical fallacies. Your conclusion is based upon a false dilemma to begin with and to support that conclusion you 'refuted' a rather poor and anemic variation of scientific theories and hypothesis without giving them a proper representation. You'll have to try again.

The Moral Argument

The fact that there seems to be some kind of an agreed-upon law - which seems deply embedded in our conscience and has a say in what we ought to do - cannot be denied, assuming that we have not become dangerously deranged beyond hope.
It certainly can be denied. Further, attacks ad hominem do not constitute a proper argument (like calling people dangerously deranged and beyond hope).

If you're proposing a universal morality then you must explain why it is not universal. Please note that "free will" is not a defense. A universal law is just that. Though I have free will I am still constrained by the force of gravity... why is "God's" moral law different?

One of the prevalent alternatives to believing in an absolute, objective morality is to believe that morality is determined by each person according to her (and his - is this necessary) own tastes and cultural background.
There are alternatives which you, of course, proceed to ignore.

Such as that one's ethics are indeed defined upon social context but certain universals can be defined based upon universal human attributes and needs.

But surely it does not follow that the multiplication table is simply a human convention, something human beings have made up for themselves and might have made differently if they had liked?
Quite wrong. The Babylonian, Sumerian, and Akkadian civilizations used a base 60 (as opposed to our base 10) system of mathematics.

There are things that we learn (such as driving on the right side of the road) that are mere conventions, and there are others, like mathematics, that are objective truths.
Mathematics is a formal symbolic system. Not an objective truth.

Another problem with this relativistic view is that there could never be no moral progress.
How about the relative freedom for each individual to follow their own moral codes? That wasn't so hard.

in other words being unselfish (for "society" after all only means "other people"), is one of the things decent behavior consists of; all you are really saying is that decent behavior is decent behavior.
No, that is what you are saying. I believe there is a very logical and human explanation.

Still others adopt the view that morality is somehow coded into our genes through evolution to preserve the species. Let us imagine a situation where a healthy young man is given the task of murdering an innocent elderly woman, or else he will lose his own life. Now in such a situation, if we were to adopt the view that morality is determined by whatever benefits the species, then we would have to say that it's morally "right" for the young man to eliminate the old woman.
Its illuminating that you specify 'benefits the species' then prescribe action for the individual. What's best for the individual is not always what's best for the species and vice-versa. In actually, there are very good mathematical and evolutionary arguments for altruism (research game theory and the prisoners dilemma).

In other words, when we are dealing with humans, something else comes in and beyond the actual facts. It begins to look as if we shall have to admit that there is more than one kind of reality;
I have seen no argument that leads me to accept this. Where did you found the premise for this inhuman source? Oh that's right... you're relying on another false dilemma.

in this particular case, there is something above and beyond the ordinary facts of men's behavior, and yet quite definitely real - a real law, which none of us made, but which we find pressing on us.
Please show evidence of this as applies to Jeffrey Dhamer, Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy, and Adolf Hitler.

2. If there is an objective moral law, then what is its most probable origin?
Those universal attributes and needs I mentioned earlier.

But as we observe ourselves from the inside, we find a strange influence or command trying to get us to behave in a certain way.
Argument from ignorance. You "find a strange influence or command" and attribute it to God? What about Bugs the friendly telepath? Maybe he's the one inserting morality into your brain. Maybe he even has an evil twin, Sgub, that inserts bad thoughts into peoples brains.

We have to assume it is more likely to be a mind than it is anything else we know - because after all the only thing we know is matter, and you hardly imagine a bit of matter giving instructions.
Care to give evidence of anything that is not made of matter giving instructions? I thought not.

This mind-like Being, apparently is intensely interested in right conduct - in fair lay, unselfishness, courage, good faith, honesty, and truthfulness.
But apparently not enough to make it mandatory or make us well enough to perform up to it's expectations.

But at that precise moment when we realize this, we find reasons to be uneasy, because if this absolute "goodness" were impersonal, like the multiplication table, then there may be no sense in asking it to make allowances for us or let us off. We would be in the wrong.
Weren't you arguing against relativistic morality a little while ago? Make up your mind.

Although it's not sufficient proof, it's notable to recognize that the God of the Bible specifically addresses this human predicament.
Oh yea, proving his moral superiority by offering an eternity of punishment for transitory violations. :rolleyes:

Argument from authority is not a solid foundation upon which to base a set of ethics.

~Raithere

Raithere - getting this party started in a big way :D Before I even attempt to discuss anything point by point, I want to make it clear between us that it isn't "me" making this argument (wtf?); I transcribed the article from the Course material given (suspecting, as the Course material itself acknowledged, that there's a lot more out there)... So until later (hopefully with less pussy-footing on my part) thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Cris,

I'm sure you can prove that black = white as well.

With reasoning like that you really are a waste of time.

Dream on kiddo.
It is easy to see you cannot understand a simple logical argument...

truthseeker,

It is easy to see you cannot understand a simple logical argument...
Don't you mean complex? I thought you said that simple things are more complex than complex things in which case I think you are paying me a compliment.

Nelson, I don't mean to be rude and I apologize for any offense, but I do find you incredibly exasperating at times.

Take care
Cris

I was talking about simplicity compared to complexity... but never mind...:bugeye:

What the word Universe means becomes somewhat confused when dealing with these topics. Traditionally, the Universe included everything... infinite and without boundaries. The concept of a 'closed' Universe and something beyond it is rather new. One needs to be specific in identifying whether one is discussing conditions within our MST continuum, that which lies beyond it, or both. As applies here you are specifically including that which is hypothesized to exist outside of our MST.

Conditions beyond our MST are purely hypothetical. Conventions of temporal relativity and causality are merely assumptions and in many cases are not at all applicable. What happened 'outside' of time is not constrained by temporal logic. i.e. If time does not exist outside of our Universe conditions such as 'before' and 'after' have no meaning.

So I take it that conditions outside our universe are unknowable through our current means? Nothing wrong with that. (btw what does MST stand for, do you have a link, etc.)

This is simply a poor understanding of infinity. There are larger and smaller infinities. This is a well accepted in mathematics.

e.g. The infinite number of odd integers is less than the infinite number of all integers (even and odd). While both numbers are infinite they are not equal.
True enough, but I don't see how the difference applies in the physical universe. I never cared for math anyways. Or
modern physics, if that's what we're dealing with.

This, of course assumes that time and causality exist beyond the Universe. Which brings up an interesting hypocrisy in this argument; it assumes that scientific explanations must adhere to temporal and causal constraints but the God hypothesis does not. Please defend this position.
Weird. I won't pretend to know what God is supposed to be, so I can't defend... If God created the universe (and if so, I see no reason to believe, sitting here with two other guys in this 16x16' cell-called-dormitory, that he didn't create the universe outside of our "MST continuum"), I don't think we can apply our rules (based on our observations of someone or something's creation) in the same way to God. They're His rules anyways. I don't see your point, in so many words. Neither do I see mine.

One can never "approach" infinity... no matter how far one "travels" there will always be an infinite "distance" left to go. Geometrically: On an infinite line every point is the center.
You mean like there are larger and smaller infinities, but nobody really cares?

No, according to science the Universe simply occurred. The phrase 'act of creation' assumes a creator. Science does not. One must be aware of the hidden assumptions in language.
To me, both are hard to believe. Obviously, the idea of a personal (that is, an entity with a mind like ours) is easier to encompass... and that's all I have to say about that.

Only in a static or expanding Universe. If there is enough matter in the Universe for gravity to cause it to collapse again universal entropy will reverse. Current evidence seems to indicate that there is just enough to cause this collapse. Additionally, 'minimum energy' is misleading there is no dissipation of energy from the Universe only a dispersion throughout
More theory that I'm not familiar with (in any serious depth - read something in Time magazine about the Universe and modern physics' latest predictions)... but good correction in that last sentence. I say this as a physicist.

This is a straw-man argument. No one is suggesting that the universe has existed in a static or expanding state for an infinite amount of time.
Hey, did you hear that there might have been an infinite number of Big Bangs in the past? Can you tell me anything more about that?

Actually this is contradicted by empirical evidence. Research 'virtual particles'. Quantum physics violates many 'common sense' notions.
Okay. Research as in AskingJeeves? Direct me to some links at least... please?

God is only thus by definition, there is no empirical evidence upon which to base this assumption. It is a much simpler solution that the Universe itself is an uncaused cause; necessary rather than contingent. There is no need to introduce God here at all.

However, the fundamental forces of physics do fit this 'requirement'. They are neither events nor are they contingent upon anything.
Stupid question: don't the fundamental forces of physics require the existence of atoms/quarks/etc. to exist? I thought about it in the sixth grade or so, and never resolved where the first quarks/smaller fundamental thingie came from. Could this be the turning point of my dissolute lifestyle?

Hilarious!!!!! Please show me one single event, ever, in the entire history of the Universe that was not caused by the laws and forces of nature.
I think the distinction made here is that the laws of nature/physics/etc. *describe* what goes on... they describe every single thing that happened since the beginning of the universe; but the law of gravity didn't *exist* before the universe came into existence... the same should apply for the fundamental forces... or maybe I'm wrong. Is there a physicist in the house?

Ah... here's the problem. The author is excluding the fundamental forces of nature. Forces, such as gravity, do indeed set the 'balls' in motion. No 'shooter' is needed; the 'balls' move of their own accord. Incidentally, you might wish to progress beyond classical Newtonian physics.
Okay... I think I need a better understanding of the fundamental forces of nature - and how they can exist separate from matter.

How convenient that you refuse to get into that here and simply take this as a given. I reject the premise that beings act spontaneously. Until it is proven you have no argument. Please demonstrate the uncaused (spontaneous) origination of 'will'.
You mean that every single action made by a human being can be accounted for by evolutionary/psychological/sociological/etc. theory? i.e. free will is an illusion? I think Dostoevsky made a compelling case for free will in Notes From Underground, although at a glance I'd think that even the choice to act irrationally can be attributed to some dark corner of the mind.

I'm tired of this - more later.

Raithere wrote

secretasianman wrote
I think the distinction made here is that the laws of nature/physics/etc. *describe* what goes on... they describe every single thing that happened since the beginning of the universe; but the law of gravity didn't *exist* before the universe came into existence... the same should apply for the fundamental forces... or maybe I'm wrong. Is there a physicist in the house?

secretasianman, what you assumed the article is saying is right. ‘How could there have been the law of gravity when there were no laws at the beginning of the universe?’ – this is probably the summation you were trying to point out.

So I take it that conditions outside our universe are unknowable through our current means?
Essentially, yes. The best we can do is generating hypotheses based upon observations within the universe. It's quite possible that this is all we will ever be able to do.

(btw what does MST stand for, do you have a link, etc.)
Sorry, MST: Matter, Space, Time; this Universe, from 'big bang' to present, as opposed to whatever might exist 'outside' this Universe.

True enough, but I don't see how the difference applies in the physical universe.
I don't believe it does, but the argument suggest that if the Universe (or perhaps we should use Metaverse here) is infinite then the present could not exist because the past is infinite. This is like saying that if the number of integers is infinite the number 2 cannot exist because you can never 'get there' from negative infinity. It's an argument based upon a poor understanding of the mathematical concept of infinity. I was simply pointing out the error.

What it boils down to, is that time is finite, an intrinsic part of our Universe that began about 15 Billion years ago. What occurred beyond/before our Universe is not constrained by time. Applying temporal logic, such as an infinite past will never arrive at a present, is invalid.

I never cared for math anyways. Or modern physics, if that's what we're dealing with.
Yea, it is what we're dealing with here. The arguments in the first part are based largely upon mathematical and physics.

Weird. I won't pretend to know what God is supposed to be, so I can't defend... If God created the universe (and if so, I see no reason to believe, sitting here with two other guys in this 16x16' cell-called-dormitory, that he didn't create the universe outside of our "MST continuum"), I don't think we can apply our rules (based on our observations of someone or something's creation) in the same way to God. They're His rules anyways. I don't see your point, in so many words. Neither do I see mine.
It's just that it's a poor argument, logically speaking. You can't apply rules arbitrarily. You can't say that one argument must adhere to a temporal framework but the other is free of this constraint without providing an argument that supports these assertions. Simply stating that every hypothesis except for the God hypothesis must obey the 'rules' is both incorrect and fallacious.

You mean like there are larger and smaller infinities, but nobody really cares?
Yep but there are people who care; physicists and mathematicians primarily.

To me, both are hard to believe. Obviously, the idea of a personal (that is, an entity with a mind like ours) is easier to encompass... and that's all I have to say about that.
The problem is that they are all very difficult to encompass cognitively. I mean, were talking about concepts like infinity, higher dimensions, existence and events that occur outside of time and space. These are not concepts that the mind can grasp easily and cannot grasp at all in some respects (you cannot visualize a hyper-dimensional cube for instance). But just because it's easier to grasp does not make it correct. Classical models of the atom are far easier to grasp than quantum models... but the quantum models are more accurate.

Hey, did you hear that there might have been an infinite number of Big Bangs in the past? Can you tell me anything more about that?
Briefly, it works like this: The Universe explodes into being (presumably because of a quantum fluctuation), it expands for a few billion years but eventually gravity stops the expansion and causes the Universe to collapse again. At which point it again explodes into a 'new' Universe. The suggestion is that perhaps this has been going on 'forever'.

Direct me to some links at least... please?
Sure:

http://focus.aps.org/story/v2/st28
This one is a bit more technical
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/9901011

Stupid question: don't the fundamental forces of physics require the existence of atoms/quarks/etc. to exist?
Actually the answer to this is really strange. As I understand it, particles such as atoms and quarks don't really exist as discrete entities but are actually comprised of these primary forces. What it comes down to is that all that really exists are these forces. We are, essentially, patterns of force within a larger (perhaps infinite, perhaps multidimensional) matrix of interacting forces.

I thought about it in the sixth grade or so, and never resolved where the first quarks/smaller fundamental thingie came from. Could this be the turning point of my dissolute lifestyle?
Well it seems that the whole shebang could have popped into existence from 'nothing'. Essentially there is no such thing as empty space. No matter how empty an area appears it is actually seething with activity, particles popping in an out of existence on their own. It seems that the Universe is rife with the potential for existence.

As we no examples of non-existence to compare with this existence, it's difficult to say. But hypotheses such as the M and Unified theories suggest that all four forces originated from one single force. Thus far, scientists have proven that 3 of them are one (strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and electromagnetic) and are working to assimilate the fourth (gravity). Again, it seems as if there is simply a certain potential for existence inherent to reality. It has been proposed that this potential is the ground state of everything and Universes can simply pop into existence.

Okay... I think I need a better understanding of the fundamental forces of nature - and how they can exist separate from matter.
That's the thing. There is no 'matter' in the sense of discrete atomic particles bouncing around. Everything that is, is comprised of these forces and their interactions.

You mean that every single action made by a human being can be accounted for by evolutionary/psychological/sociological/etc. theory? i.e. free will is an illusion? I think Dostoevsky made a compelling case for free will in Notes From Underground, although at a glance I'd think that even the choice to act irrationally can be attributed to some dark corner of the mind.
Personally, I'm unsure. I think that either free-will exists or (more likely) that the sheer quantity and chaotic nature of the variables involved in consciousness is such that there is no possible way to calculate the outcome except in a very general sense. As such, I don't think it really matters because either conscious is intrinsically unpredictable or it is unpredictable because it cannot be calculated. Either way we have, in essence, free will.

But the assertion in the argument is reliant upon free-will being some mysterious uncaused force, which is rather problematic and a very difficult concept to prove. How can one find an example of a 'will' in action divorced from any possible influence? Everything we can examine indicates that we act in response to thoughts which are generated in response to outside stimuli.

~Raithere

Originally posted by SVRP
‘How could there have been the law of gravity when there were no laws at the beginning of the universe?’
Why would we assume this? Theoretical and experimental evidence shows that as we approach the conditions just after the Big-Bang all of these forces were combined in a single force. What if our Universe is simply an 'explosion' of a particular ground state including this unified force?

~Raithere

trippy stuff, Raithere, and thank you... strangely, when I was up at 3 AM last night thinking about this stuff again it suddenly ceased mattering as much. Not that we should ever stop looking for evidence that we're cosmic freaks; it just kind of occured to me that I'll never know and will always have to believe what smarter/more knowledgeable people tell me...

EDIT: keep in mind that I hadn't read the two articles provided at the time of posting; I should have but I'm not going to erase this post. So if my point about quarks dying is moot, I am not a crook.

Well it seems that the whole shebang could have popped into existence from 'nothing'. Essentially there is no such thing as empty space. No matter how empty an area appears it is actually seething with activity, particles popping in an out of existence on their own. It seems that the Universe is rife with the potential for existence
I think that for the most part any "misunderstandings" between us, like
But just because it's easier to grasp does not make it correct.
are harmless enough. Although I will chew on the implications of your infinity discussion later in the day... I'd rather just let it go for now. But hey - haven't scientists said that quarks have a lifespan of something like 10^30 years? But now this - that matter *pops into existence* of its own accord? Again, I ask for more.

It's just that it's a poor argument, logically speaking. You can't apply rules arbitrarily. You can't say that one argument must adhere to a temporal framework but the other is free of this constraint without providing an argument that supports these assertions. Simply stating that every hypothesis except for the God hypothesis must obey the 'rules' is both incorrect and fallacious.
Perhaps as a being without a scientific-mind, I find it easier to imagine a God who created such a universe while existing outside of it... i.e. that old philosophical musing that the universe is ultimately in the mind of God. And it kind of complements the way we think of Him as a being inside-yet-outside of the physical realm... or perhaps I misunderstand again.

If you don't mind, I'd like to discuss the rest (the moral part) later... it's interesting enough but I think the evolutionary/biological/etc. ("physical," I suppose) roots of our morality are just as interesting; they need to (and will) be researched exhaustively (or to a point which approaches but never reaches exhaustive)...

So I'd like to take a little tangent - what do we know about the nature of love... or as I take it the human need for complete understanding and love (the two together; love without understanding is a dog's love for man)? I've heard some of it attributed to our evolutionary roots as social creatures; with psychology and the concept of the ego we probably have new ways of discussing and thinking about it... but as of yet nothing conclusive, I'm sure. How did this become such a powerful, universal need - which I'm only beginning to grasp/comprehend? Did we one day wake up to find this gaping hole in our existence, and seek to fill it with other beings (who will never understand you fully, and maybe not even fully enough)? Did the need for God (the following saying comes to mind: "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him" - partially from this need for love?) arise from it, or is God the creator and intended object for this thing called love?
EDIT: I was thinking about love at 3 AM - and this is around when the rest of it lost its appeal... you don't think that the origins of the universe would have me stressing like that, do you?

I DON'T OFFER PROOF (or even a good argument); but bear with me anyway.
This mind-like Being, apparently is intensely interested in right conduct - in fair lay, unselfishness, courage, good faith, honesty, and truthfulness.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But apparently not enough to make it mandatory or make us well enough to perform up to it's expectations.
FROM MY UNDERSTANDING OF CHRISTIANITY (sorry for shouting), free will (and a "non-mandatory" system of conduct) exists to make love (requiring free will) a possibility - that is, a loving relationship with God, possible. Hence the possibility to consciously choose to reject Him (and I don't look at it as such an inflexible, "Believe in me, go to heaven; if you die an unbeliever go to hell" law; and it's not *just how I, the individual* look at it; it seems simple enough that one must be given a fair chance in order to reject/accept Him... but I know very little, as I explain in the next paragraph)

I know I opened up a whole new can of worms, and then it will be demanded from me all manners of explanations which I can only give little pieces of (because pieces is all I've come to understand so far), and you (the forum) will probably think I'm full of crap... but love is important enough to discuss from any perspective (and again, it won't be me leading the discussion)...

EDIT 2: In another attempt to cover for myself, and to avoid misrepresenting Christians... the second to last paragraph is, to me, simply another possible truth in the world that I, given my particular situation (in a Christian/Western country), am looking into... for me, this means attending functions and courses held by a church; this general "quest for truth" mentality is also what led me here several months ago, looking for something like "the whole picture"... Anyways, if you the reader would begin every post addressed to me with, "I understand, but", I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Apology - I won't be able to read tonight; nothing's making sense today. Ever feel like a fish out of water (call me a loner, call me a forgotten angel - or just call me a babbler)? Be back when I can read a sentence without spacing out.

Last edited:
Raithere wrote
What if our Universe is simply an 'explosion' of a particular ground state including this unified force?

Good question, Raithere. As I understand the article posted by secretasianman, the ground state of laws and forces, represented by the billard balls, are dormant waiting for an action to occur so the 'explosion' of the Universe can result, which would be the reaction. The question would be- What was the action that initiated the forces and laws to move into action and caused the reaction of an 'explosion' of the Universe? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What this initial action was, you must agree, is the mystery.

trippy stuff, Raithere, and thank you... strangely, when I was up at 3 AM last night thinking about this stuff again it suddenly ceased mattering as much. Not that we should ever stop looking for evidence that we're cosmic freaks; it just kind of occured to me that I'll never know and will always have to believe what smarter/more knowledgeable people tell me...
3 AM does seem a particularly good time to think about these things somehow. I don't know that it really does matter (even though these things do pique my curiosity); this entire discussion and perhaps all religious discussions boil down to ethics. How do we act and why, what are our values and how do we derive them? The pursuit of various considerations into the ultimate nature of reality is really a secondary consideration in comparison to the importance of constructing a practical personal and social set of ethics. In short, it doesn't really matter if our reality might be nothing more than the 'shadow' of a multidimensional collision (ref: brane theory and the holographic principle re: Hawking) when someone is burning a cross in your front yard or you're begging for food on the roadside.

i.e. that old philosophical musing that the universe is ultimately in the mind of God. And it kind of complements the way we think of Him as a being inside-yet-outside of the physical realm... or perhaps I misunderstand again.
I don't find that I have much of a problem with this. I find the broader conceptions of God acceptably flexible and even somewhat useful. Certainly there is still room for concepts God in our understanding of the Universe. It's only the concrete assertions and flawed 'proofs' that I tend to rally against.

If you don't mind, I'd like to discuss the rest (the moral part) later... it's interesting enough but I think the evolutionary/biological/etc. ("physical," I suppose) roots of our morality are just as interesting; they need to (and will) be researched exhaustively (or to a point which approaches but never reaches exhaustive)...
They are indeed interesting and something that Atheists and Theists alike should ponder. Either way, it seems that treating others well is something that behooves us.

what do we know about the nature of love... or as I take it the human need for complete understanding and love (the two together; love without understanding is a dog's love for man)? I've heard some of it attributed to our evolutionary roots as social creatures; with psychology and the concept of the ego we probably have new ways of discussing and thinking about it... but as of yet nothing conclusive, I'm sure. How did this become such a powerful, universal need - which I'm only beginning to grasp/comprehend?
I think in love we find many things all kind of wrapped around each other which is why it seems to be such a complex emotion. Certainly there are 'base' drives for procreation, the raising of children, and tribal survival that are probably the physical roots of love. But in higher mammals, and particularly, humans it does take on a new dimension. I identify these new dimensions with the evolutionary advent of the intellect. Briefly; the human mind is capable of appreciating far more subtle aspects of attraction, beauty, truth, and pleasure than the body or 'primitive' brain is.

Did the need for God (the following saying comes to mind: "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him" - partially from this need for love?) arise from it, or is God the creator and intended object for this thing called love?
Does it really matter? God as the 'embodiment' of love seems to be enough to me for some considerations though, personally, I find this conception is founded in a certain naiveté. But I certainly agree with the ideal.

FROM MY UNDERSTANDING OF CHRISTIANITY (sorry for shouting), free will (and a "non-mandatory" system of conduct) exists to make love (requiring free will) a possibility - that is, a loving relationship with God, possible. Hence the possibility to consciously choose to reject Him
But with this assertion it seems to be that God then values free-will over 'faith' or 'goodness'. What then is our value to God as free-willed beings that simple 'good' beings do not possess?

I know I opened up a whole new can of worms, and then it will be demanded from me all manners of explanations which I can only give little pieces of (because pieces is all I've come to understand so far), and you (the forum) will probably think I'm full of crap... but love is important enough to discuss from any perspective (and again, it won't be me leading the discussion).
I find any honest exploration to be valuable... and I agree with you about love.

~Raithere

Originally posted by SVRP
Good question, Raithere. As I understand the article posted by secretasianman, the ground state of laws and forces, represented by the billard balls, are dormant waiting for an action to occur so the 'explosion' of the Universe can result, which would be the reaction. The question would be- What was the action that initiated the forces and laws to move into action and caused the reaction of an 'explosion' of the Universe? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What this initial action was, you must agree, is the mystery.
Actually, in quantum physics no 'initial action' is required.

"...there may be something that has less energy than nothing--charges or masses at close proximities can realize these conditions... quantum mechanical fluctuations have a lifetime that increases with diminishing energy... If [the universe's] total energy equals or approximates zero, it may have originated as a spontaneous vacuum fluctuation. We might imagine that there is an approximate cancellation between the negative potential energies of all the masses that attract each other in the universe and the motion (or kinetic) and mass energies of these configurations, keeping Einstein's E=mc2 in mind." - Nothingness: The Science of Empty Space - Genz

~Raithere

Back