Conspiracy Theories and Imagination

i've heard the basement of bell labs held more than computers and research equipment.
i for one am beginning to believe it.
something must explain what i've found.

Statistics.

A lot of conspiracy buff's blame entire governments for this or that, they tend to neglect that sometimes governments have individuals that are affiliated via fraternities who can actually conspire within the government. You only have to look to older fraternity movements like The Masons, or more recent ones like the Birch Society or even those that are affiliated with the Rockefeller's through their academic funding being supplied by them.

Corruption can eat through any governmental system if it's allowed or of course unseen.

Leopold,
I hope you aren't referring to the conspiracy theory involving "alien technology" from "Roswell".

Statistics.

A lot of conspiracy buff's blame entire governments for this or that, they tend to neglect that sometimes governments have individuals that are affiliated via fraternities who can actually conspire within the government. You only have to look to older fraternity movements like The Masons, or more recent ones like the Birch Society or even those that are affiliated with the Rockefeller's through their academic funding being supplied by them.
I think one misconception held by both some conspiracy buffs and most skeptics, is that conspiracies have all these players and they all know what is really going on. But the truth is most players are simply following lies and their self-interest helps them contribute to the conspiracy.

Exactly people seem to be able to believe that smaller organizations can conspire, but not huge ones? Certainly flawed logic.

The other thing is they don't feel a larger organization could pull it off. The thing is when you are "too big to fail" it's extremely easy to not get caught and even if you do, the people don't want to believe it!
And lots of the participants are not conspirators, but actually people who want to believe - that there are WOMD in Iraq or whatever. IOW key players need only adjust the focus of the main body of a government or corporation that out of self-interest will want to believe and want to gain from participating in what they can tell themselves is logical/patriotic or whatever.

i've heard the basement of bell labs held more than computers and research equipment.
i for one am beginning to believe it.
something must explain what i've found.

I've no idea WHAT you think you've found. But having worked there and visiting the basements in two different buildings (by the way, there are over a hundred Bell Labs buildings in the US alone and more in Europe), I can attest that there's certainly more stuff there.

But unfortunately for the conspiracy buffs, it's just about all junk that should have been discarded decades ago. Things like boxes and boxes of reams of outdated letterhead paper, pencils, batteries for obsolete equipment, file cabinets (hundreds of them!!) containing stuff like personnel files from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, etc. Coils of wire of all kinds, pipe and tubing of every dimension, thousands of electron tubes, lab glassware, wire recorders (the things that predated tape recorders), hundreds of thousands of equipment manuals, old janitorial equipment (buckets, mops, broken floor polishers), and pretty much every kind of detritus you can imagine.

Alien equipment? Nope. Not unless it looks like the early model VT-100s or someone's personal heater that they kept under their desk during those cold winter days in New Jersey.

I've no idea WHAT you think you've found.
think?
But unfortunately for the conspiracy buffs, it's just about all junk that should have been discarded decades ago.
in the 2 buildings you visited.
Things like boxes and boxes of reams of outdated letterhead paper, pencils, batteries for obsolete equipment, file cabinets (hundreds of them!!) containing stuff like personnel files from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, etc.
Coils of wire of all kinds, pipe and tubing of every dimension, thousands of electron tubes, lab glassware, wire recorders (the things that predated tape recorders), hundreds of thousands of equipment manuals, old janitorial equipment (buckets, mops, broken floor polishers), and pretty much every kind of detritus you can imagine.
Alien equipment? Nope.
Not unless it looks like the early model VT-100s or someone's personal heater that they kept under their desk during those cold winter days in New Jersey.
from what you know from visiting 2 buildings.

edit:
besides, the other explanation implies something sinister and i don't like going that route.

think?

from what you know from visiting 2 buildings.

edit:
besides, the other explanation implies something sinister and i don't like going that route.

I get your point - but you're still being very silly. I worked with people who had also spent time in all the other buildings ("relocation" is the name of life in the Labs) and everybody *loves* to gossip. Not even once did anybody EVER mention the garbage you're so concerned about.

And consider this - if such stuff DID exist, why did we spend BILLIONS upon BILLIONS trying to re-invent it????

People who buy into these trashy ideas don't even realize how stupid they sound to intelligent folks. Seriously! :rolleyes:

And lots of the participants are not conspirators, but actually people who want to believe - that there are WOMD in Iraq or whatever. IOW key players need only adjust the focus of the main body of a government or corporation that out of self-interest will want to believe and want to gain from participating in what they can tell themselves is logical/patriotic or whatever.

Agreed.

Is it possible to conceal a conspiracy of such major proportions? I'm looking at those who are fixated on 9/11. It seems ridiculous to think that anybody could orchestrate such a thing and keep their intentions in the shadows. People are blaming the government, the Jews, just about anyone other than those who were accused by the authorities. I ran into a video on YouTube about the 9/11 conspiracy and started reading the comments left behind. The wacky ideas it produced were incredible. People started posting all their fears, everything from flu shots and cancer to their admiration of Nazi Germany. It looked like a looney bin. I get the feeling that conspiracy theories attract people who are, well, paranoid and delusional. That's just my impression.

ion
I think it is very easy to conceal a plot of such major proportions.
If you, me, and 5 others, are top people in cruicial organisations, like media, airline, state of the art weaponry, state of the art security, and I have a plan to justifiably take over a country, and blame it on someone else, it can be done.

The ultra top people will each inform the top people below them of tasks they want performed, who in turn inform the people below them, and so on.
At each point of instructions, only the relevant information is given, and any notion of dodginess is seen speculation.

jan.

ion
I think it is very easy to conceal a plot of such major proportions.
If you, me, and 5 others, are top people in cruicial organisations, like media, airline, state of the art weaponry, state of the art security, and I have a plan to justifiably take over a country, and blame it on someone else, it can be done.

The ultra top people will each inform the top people below them of tasks they want performed, who in turn inform the people below them, and so on.
At each point of instructions, only the relevant information is given, and any notion of dodginess is seen speculation.

jan.

It's just that in the past people have had such a problem concealing their intentions: Link

Secrets, especially those that require the cooperation of many, rarely stay in the dark.

Secrets, especially those that require the cooperation of many, rarely stay in the dark.
How could one possibly know this? The argument seems to be. A set of conspiracies have come to light so all conspiracies must come to light - and be accepted widely as real.

Noam Chomsky - generally a critique of most conspiracy theories - once pointed out that a British Intelligence group doing what I cannot remember in WW2, kept secret their activies for decades after the war, even though Germany was no longer an enemy and what they had worked on was no longer an issue of national security. They were not a tiny group and had once been told this stuff was secret and they kept it secret despite all being smart enough to know there were no negative consequences to letting it out.

Änd the issue is not, will it come out, but how will witnesses be treated and how will the media couch the issue? IOW will it come out and be preemtively marginalized.

Back