Defending the Ten Commandments...

I know he wasn't a christian, but he still believed in God.
By swear, I mean a solemn oath. For example, "I swear by the moon and the stars" would not be allowed. Swearing by God is allowed as long as you are prepared to face the consequences.

Originally posted by okinrus
The only fair position is complete neutrality.
Define fair.

From Webster's: 6 a : marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism.

No, people should not have to swear on the bible in court.
Agreed. Jews and Christians are not allowed to swear by anyone but God.

And what of Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, Wiccans etc.? They aren't real Americans, so screw them, right?

I don't trust in god, why does it say that on our money?
What exactly is the problem with this. I mean if you don't like it, cross it out.

Besides being a monumental and pointless task, it misses the point. The state has no business advocating the existence of a deity. It is not the job of the state to try to cram Christianity down my throat. That is the job of the TV Evangelists

And it is high time the Pledge of Allegiance was returned to its original state.
Yes the same God George Washington was under. As long as the there's not a picture of an atheist, then the words shall stand.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands- one nation indivisible-with liberty and justice for all." - Francis Bellamy 1892. "Under god" was added in 1954. It was always a poor fit, and needs to be removed.

I won't tell you what to believe, don't try to force your deity on me.

"the United States is in no sense based on the Christian religion" - from the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by President Adams, 1797.

From Webster's: 6 a : marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism.
However someone who commits a crime we put in jail. Your basis of a crime is subjective and so fairness without God is also subjective.

And what of Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, Wiccans etc.? They aren't real Americans, so screw them, right?
Subjectivly if there is not a God then there should be no concern about lying telling others that we are under God. The atheist should have no problem with lying because the claim that Truth exists is just as absurd a claim that God exists.

I wouldn't say that fairness is subjective as much as I would say it is a human construct. When you attempt to look at the world objectively, you quickly realize that humans concepts of fairness carry no weight in the natural world. For that matter, neither do the human concepts of right and wrong.

okinrus:
I know he wasn't a christian, but he still believed in God.

Deists didn't believe in a personal God, more Einstien's or Spinoza's conception of God.

By swear, I mean a solemn oath. For example, "I swear by the moon and the stars" would not be allowed. Swearing by God is allowed as long as you are prepared to face the consequences.

You have scripture to back this assertion, yes?

Subjectivly if there is not a God then there should be no concern about lying telling others that we are under God. The atheist should have no problem with lying because the claim that Truth exists is just as absurd a claim that God exists.

"[Middle English trewthe, loyalty, from Old English trowth. See deru- in Indo- European Roots.]

Synonyms: truth, veracity, verity, verisimilitude
These nouns refer to the quality of being in accord with fact or reality. Truth is a comprehensive term that in all of its nuances implies accuracy and honesty: “We seek the truth, and will endure the consequences” (Charles Seymour). Veracity is adherence to the truth: “Veracity is the heart of morality” (Thomas H. Huxley). Verity often applies to an enduring or repeatedly demonstrated truth: “beliefs that were accepted as eternal verities” (James Harvey Robinson). Verisimilitude is the quality of having the appearance of truth or reality: “merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative” (W.S. Gilbert)."

From the American Heritage dictionary.

Now, how is the idea of something being in accordance with fact or reality an absurd idea?

[uote]
you have scripture to back this assertion, yes?
[/quote]
Genesis 24:3
"I want you to swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I'm living.

1 Samuel 24:21 "Now swear to me by the LORD that you will not cut off my descendants or wipe out my name from my father's family"

I wouldn't say that fairness is subjective as much as I would say it is a human construct. When you attempt to look at the world objectively, you quickly realize that humans concepts of fairness carry no weight in the natural world. For that matter, neither do the human concepts of right and wrong.
Which is why truth does not exist without God.

Now, how is the idea of something being in accordance with fact or reality an absurd idea?
You assume that our reality is where everything exists. You cannot define existance or at least I hope not. http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_existence_of_physical_objects

Originally posted by Vortexx
haha good one, phunny enough I feel Judge Moore is right in this case, -->the law is yet of to day indeed in name based on Godlike concepts<--

Ok, I have no idea what you just said there. Are you on crack?

Back