Dislike the U.S.A. ?

No you knowingly choosing a frame work that helps promote the meme you wish to promote rather than a framework that removes bias. their is a reason most comparisons are done with medians and per capita's its the only honest way to compare entities with differing capabilities.

You're right, which is odd how the Guardian's figures failed to break-down the NGO and corporate donations, huh? Or how it failed to include the dollars being spent on deploying a large chunk of military personnel and equipment or the actual supplies being donated from stockpiles (all outside the "100 million" direct dollars in aid promised by the Obama administration).

~String

I find Read-Only's apologia rather distasteful, but since that is the game you have chosen to play here are some points to ponder on. I have extracted the data for The Netherlands, France, UK and the US from this source. "
This article pulls together 14 different statistical comparisons of the charitable giving, living standards, tax rates, health care and development of countries around the world. The statistics are drawn from the most recent authoritative sources available.
"

Charitable Donations by Country as a % of GDP

1. USA 1.67%
2. UK 0.73%
4. Australia 0.69%
7. Netherlands 0.45%
12. France 0.12%

Charitable Donations by percentage of Gross National Income
Official aid only. Private donations excluded.
5. Netherlands 0.8%
10. UK 0.43%
13. France 0.39%
16. Australia 0.32%
22. USA 0.19%

2005 Boxing Day Tsunami Private Donations per capita in pounds sterling
3. Netherlands 4.90
4. Australia 2.80
9. UK 1.65
11. USA 0.58

So back off Read-Only. Let's celebrate the fact that many people and many governments give when their is need. Let's dump the 'my dick is bigger than yours' approach. It doesn't become you, it is disrespectful of both victims and donors. (And apparently it isn't bigger anyway.:shrug:)

I find Read-Only's apologia rather distasteful, but since that is the game you have chosen to play here are some points to ponder on. I have extracted the data for The Netherlands, France, UK and the US from this source. "
This article pulls together 14 different statistical comparisons of the charitable giving, living standards, tax rates, health care and development of countries around the world. The statistics are drawn from the most recent authoritative sources available.
"

Charitable Donations by Country as a % of GDP

1. USA 1.67%
2. UK 0.73%
4. Australia 0.69%
7. Netherlands 0.45%
12. France 0.12%

Charitable Donations by percentage of Gross National Income
Official aid only. Private donations excluded.
5. Netherlands 0.8%
10. UK 0.43%
13. France 0.39%
16. Australia 0.32%
22. USA 0.19%

2005 Boxing Day Tsunami Private Donations per capita in pounds sterling
3. Netherlands 4.90
4. Australia 2.80
9. UK 1.65
11. USA 0.58

So back off Read-Only. Let's celebrate the fact that many people and many governments give when their is need. Let's dump the 'my dick is bigger than yours' approach. It doesn't become you, it is disrespectful of both victims and donors. (And apparently it isn't bigger anyway.:shrug:)

Oph, you of all people surprise me!! Never once have you seen me drop to the depths of making any vulgar comparisons - not a single time. Since I've never been so discourteous to you (not even close!) I feel you owe me an apology for at least that one thing alone.

Secondly, my primary aim here was to simply point out the American-haters within our numbers that we are NOT the ego-centered, selfish people that they try and make us out to be. We are always willing to offer aid, even in times when it isn't convenient.

Also, there's an element missing from the numbers you've shown - the costs involved in providing all the military and medical assistance that we've deployed. While it IS true that we ARE the closest large nation, we weren't under any "obligation" to render that service.

It's time these moaners woke up - the U.S. always has been and still is the MOST generous country on the entire planet.

That's what you said. The data shows you are mistaken. Yet you made the point with all the conviction and implicit emotional nationalism of a Baron Max or a Buffalo Roam. That's not you at all, yet they are your words.

I regret that you find my observations about your post require an apology. For all that I find admirable about you (and it's a considerable amount) I sincerely wish I could offer such an apology. Because I feel passionately that your remarks were ill considered and inappropriate I regretfully cannot make that apology.

That's what you said. The data shows you are mistaken. Yet you made the point with all the conviction and implicit emotional nationalism of a Baron Max or a Buffalo Roam. That's not you at all, yet they are your words.

I regret that you find my observations about your post require an apology. For all that I find admirable about you (and it's a considerable amount) I sincerely wish I could offer such an apology. Because I feel passionately that your remarks were ill considered and inappropriate I regretfully cannot make that apology.

Very well, non-apology accepted. But I hope that you did notice that the figures you provided were compiled in Nov. 2006. Since that time we've been mired down in wars on two fronts and have undergone the worst fiscal this nation has ever endured since the Great Depression. And I'm also quite happy that so many other nations have seen fit to contribute. It does help to restore a bit of faith in humanity.

And my primary point STILL stands - despite what some preach here, America is not the selfish, stingy nation they portray in their indignant posts about is.

The best way to find out what people think about US aid is to ask them.

thefirstpost.co.uk/45421,news-comment,news-politics,why-a-charity-care-international-refused-45m-of-us-aid-money
It's interesting the huge amount of marketing that goes into the packaging and distribution of U.S. aid, just so that the people getting it know exactly where it has come from. Certainly, someone whose family is starving to death will remember forever the stars and stripes or the words "from the American people" emblazoned across a sack of rice or the side of a truck.

One wonders how American businesses have fared in Africa since the election of Obama.

:eek:

"Private money also is flowing into Haiti — U.S. charities have raised $470 million for disaster relief"

That's a bit meager, don't you think? The Netherlands raised 106 million euros so far.

Population USA: 308,572,604
Population Netherlands: 16,586,147

US donated 470,000,000 / 308,572,604 = $1.52 per person.
Netherlands donated 106,000,000 / 16.586.147 = 6.39 euros per person = (1.3979 * 6.39) $8.93 per person.
That's over 3.5 times more!

:p

in addition to the different reasons of why Netherlands gave Haiti money and why USA gave Haiti money.

Netherlands = help to Haiti.
USA = future debt/military occupation for Haiti.

Take a look at the current goings-on in Haiti.
Why the current goings on??? In 1994 the US invaded Haiti....

Even the economic growth that did take place is distorted. The gross domestic product has gone from $1.6 billion in 1994 to $3.2 billion in 1998. But according to the UN Human Development Project, which looks at living standards rather than economic output, Haiti has become much poorer in the past four years.

Fewer people in 1998 had access to safe water and effective sewage systems, electricity, health care, public education, roads and transportation than in 1994.

Or the one I like...

The U.S. intervention in Haiti in 1994, although presented as humanitarian, also did not produce justice, since the evidence needed to prosecute crimes during the coup is still under control of the U.S. government. According to Rockwell, the U.S. occupation allowed human rights violations to go unchecked. According to the UN itself, the occupation has not improved the living standards of the majority of the people.

Your post doesn't include the dollars spent on the massive amounts of food provided by the military, the cost of deploying them (several million a day) and the total amount of money given by individual American citizens and corporations.

It's ever so much easier to send cash (which the US, its corporations and citizens have done to the tune of about half a billion dollars). The real job is in actually putting your people there, sending military doctors, military forces, aircraft carriers, and medical ships (total of 10,000 military personnel), which the USA accounts for almost all. This says nothing about the thousands of civilian American doctors, recovery teams, nurses, engineers all volunteering their time there right now.

~String

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/01/13/f-disasters-military-dart.html

They train for this...all the time all year round. They are one of the few units able to make water from the ocean.

But I hope that you did notice that the figures you provided were compiled in Nov. 2006. Since that time we've been mired down in wars on two fronts and have undergone the worst fiscal this nation has ever endured since the Great Depression. And I'm also quite happy that so many other nations have seen fit to contribute. It does help to restore a bit of faith in humanity.

Okay, so can we take it from that back peddling that you’re admitting that you are mistaken when you steadfastly and absolutely stated that the "...U.S. always has been and still is the MOST generous country on the entire planet"? (emphasis added)

Okay, so can we take it from that back peddling that you’re admitting that you are mistaken when you steadfastly and absolutely stated that the "...U.S. always has been and still is the MOST generous country on the entire planet"? (emphasis added)

I'm saying that we HAVE stumbled at times - but over the past scores of decades my statement still stands.

in addition to the different reasons of why Netherlands gave Haiti money and why USA gave Haiti money.

Netherlands = help to Haiti.
USA = future debt/military occupation for Haiti.

No, they want to have unfettered access to the Chupacabra

Last edited:
. . . . the U.S. always has been and still is the MOST generous country on the entire planet.
The U.S. has the biggest economy on the planet and one of the largest populations, so of course anything we do is going to be huge in scale.

If you calculate your generosity statistic on a per capita basis, you'll probably find that some of the smaller countries post higher numbers. The Scandinavians usually come out on top in contests like that. Their governments don't spend a lot on military programs so they have more tax money to devote to positive causes. Nonetheless, that's hair-splitting and the fact remains that by any measure the U.S. is indeed a top player in the international charity arena.

The problem is that we're also a top player in the arena of evil. We devote more money to military expenditures than any other country. And also more money per capita--with the possible exception of some of the despotic leaders in the Third World who don't care if their people starve.

Our military budget used to be regarded with cautious gratitude by our allies, because we said we were protecting them from the Red Menace, and after seeing us go to war in Korea and Vietnam to hold back the spread of communism, they believed us. Even though the results of those two endeavors were not exactly stunning successes--out of two countries we only saved one-half of one--well hey, at least we tried, right?

But now the menace of a monstrously huge, nuclear-armed Soviet Union is gone. The Russians aren't anybody's allies but they're also not looking for Lebensraum and gobbling up every country on their border. The menace of a monstrously huge, nuclear-armed China has simply evaporated, as they have managed to hybridize communism with the Dao and Confucianism and gone back to what they do best: making money, gobs and gobs and gobs of money.

The menace now comes in smaller packages like Congo and Darfur, and we've been noticeably ineffective in helping resolve those crises. The only large package of menace is from terrorist organizations like Al Qaeda, and our oh-so-twentieth-century military strategy has been a dismal failure in the Middle East. We've destroyed the only secular, pro-Western country in the entire region (Iraq), and we've given unconditional support to Israel, the region's only nuclear power, which by the way is run by wacked-out zealots. Our crowning achievement so far is pushing Al Qaeda into Pakistan, so they are now a hundred miles or so from a huge nuclear arsenal in a country with a spotty record of effective and responsible government.

Add to this our long history of supporting dictators throughout the world who ally with us militarily but are despots to their own people--or even installing them, like the Shah of Iran--and it's easy to see why from a military perspective the U.S. is no longer as beloved as it used to be. We're not really protecting anybody and it's difficult to counter the argument that we're actually making the world less safe for everybody by pissing off its huge Muslim population.

So if you look at our country through the eyes of a foreigner, despite our impressive charity, it doesn't necessarily look so great.

At least electing Obama was a step in the right direction. Images count, and the majority of the world's citizens can no longer complain about "one more old white guy telling us all that he's going to help us eventually." If he could undo some of the worst atrocities of the Bush Dynasty it would help. Unfortunately he's a beginner in Washington and doesn't have the connections or the personal aura to change the system; the poor guy can't even shut down Guantánamo. He's also stuck in 20th-century thinking so he's sending even more troops into Afghanistan, a place even the Huns and the Mongols could not conquer.

Last edited:
Or what about the all of the third world countries that America has put into poverty from all of its capitalist corporations? What about the Iraqis who we robbed for their oil, or those north Vietnamese who we slaughtered?

A country can do good things, and still be a horrible nation.

Or what about the all of the third world countries that America has put into poverty from all of its capitalist corporations? What about the Iraqis who we robbed for their oil, or those north Vietnamese who we slaughtered?

A country can do good things, and still be a horrible nation.

AHEM!!! I see science is not the only area you are VERY weak in. :bugeye:

Exactly how much oil have we robbed from Iraq? And precisely WHICH countries that weren't already third-word have we put into poverty? The real truth is that we've sent (against the wishes of most Americans) them jobs that pay FAR more than they could have made otherwise.

And while you're at it, you also need to spend CONSIDERABLE time studying the reasons America was in Viet Nam - in which, by the way, the North (with the support of China) was ATTACKING and killing thousands of people in the South.

And while you're at it, you also need to spend CONSIDERABLE time studying the reasons America was in Viet Nam - in which, by the way, the North (with the support of China) was ATTACKING and killing thousands of people in the South.

So we killed a million. And the South still fell to the communists.
It was an internal political matter and we were propping up a dictator.

Justified?

We haven't stolen Iraqi oil.

We did however, get the contracts to help them develop and produce their oil...

And we don't so much really put countries into poverty as make sure they can't get out...except Mexico, NAFTA really screwed them over...

OTOH, because we don't practice strategic trade like we should...we are helping China build while becoming much more like a third-world country ourselves in terms of income disparity.

IMO, we're going to bankrupt ourselves anyway, so the US will stop being capable of being a big overseas presence in my lifetime, even if I do nothing.

Last edited:
not to mention after you compleatly destroyed there civil sociaty the first set of criminal laws you set up wernt murder, theft, rape ect. They were copywrite laws to protect US film companies, How much of your "aid" did that take?

Rah Rah USA, the only country i know of which has every taken a countries HEALTH depatment to the world trade organsiation because how dare they subsides effective, cheep drugs for there own citizans

Rah Rah USA, the only country i know of which has every taken a countries HEALTH depatment to the world trade organsiation because how dare they subsides effective, cheep drugs for there own citizans

Evidence of exactly how much corporations own our "democracy." Big pharma wants you to pay like we do.

Back