Do you dream in color?

dreams is something that really interests me. i never knew that someone can dream in black and white since i have always dreamed in color. when me and my mom found out that my dad is a black and white dreamer we were shocked and confused as to why he dreams in black and white but we don't. so far he is the only person i know that does not dream in color and i am curious to know wut causes some people to dream in color while others don't. i know i dream in color, i have had dreams with very vivid color. example: one dream where my dad was painting the roof of our house a very bright green and the front of our house a very bright yellow. and just last night i had a dream i had a baby and was looking at him and he had this very weird dark red hair, not a natural hair color, and light brown very pretty eyes. so i do belive that it is possible to dream in color and that u just don't add color to dreams or anything like that. i also have had many dreams where i couldn't see, everything was very blurry to me. idk if this happens to others but sometimes if i stand up fast i'll feel a little dizzy and my vision will blacken and just look weird then come right back. and in those dreams where i can't see my vision is like that, dark around the edges and very blurry and spinning in the center. its very weird and these are new dreams but i've had it about 5 times. just wondering if anyone has ever experinced that before. sorry my post is so long. haha ~Hannah

I have a hypothesis on this. It is entirely possible that black and white
dreamers generate less or no electrical impulses to the portions of the
brain responsible for interpreting color (only while dreaming of course).

I ALWAYS dream in color, but there is no sound, touch, smell, or taste, I just seem to know when and what someone is saying to me... or when I get stabbed and the pain is overwhelming.....

oh, and Hannah124, I have dreams where I really want to continue to pay attention to what is going on, but I am blinded and can only see black and then all my dreamsenses are gone. After that I either slowly drift off into that unconcious state that wastes the night away, or I wake up, get a drink, go to the bathroom then get back to my dreaming................ :m:

well cool-weirdo, that isn't really the case for me. the dream is still a normal dream, i'm just doing normal things but i just can't see good. sometimes it will fade in and i can see for a little bit but then it will go back. its really strange i've had one dream where that happened and i was trying to drive and it was just a disaster. i can see everything but is is just reallly blurred and all twisted together so i can tell something is there in front of me but i can't tell u details, its just really weird haha ~Hannah

Do you have time to see the colors in dream or are you concious enough?

I wonder...
bye!

I always dream in colour. Strong, vivid colours.
Also, when I close my eyes, I usually see fancy colourful patterns -- but I don't mean those that are a "pyhsiological effect" from just having your eyes closed. I simply close my eyes and I see patterns, geometric or ornamental, and they change, float, one pattern slowly becoming something else.

I used to try to draw them -- but real world colours were never strong enough, and I'm not good enough of a painter to deal with those 3d patterns. :(

Hmmm.. If color is our brains' interpretation of light (different light waves stimulate the cones, etc), and if there is close to no light entering the eye when we sleep at night.... How do we dream in color? Note, that in the night-dark room, you see things mostly in black and white! It therefore could be a recollection of color that our brain assigns to various things in the dream. And, as someone said earlier, we could be dreaming in black and white, but our brain can not accept that it isn't color.

whitewolf said:
And, as someone said earlier, we could be dreaming in black and white, but our brain can not accept that it isn't color.

Or it could be the brain's extensive experience of recognizing and piecing together scenes of color every day seeping into our thoughts?

We see color all day, our memories are in color, our recollections are in color, we imagine in color so when the pons bounces around thoughts and memories that the, paralyzed, frontal lobe can't piece together into cohesive thought and actions.....i'd think that would be in color also.

Which leads me to ask....what color do color blind people dream in?

I have a problem with dreams, the reality is this;
To me, I'm not suppose to dream, for many years I didn't dream then I had a weird occurance and dreams started again, however these are not my dreams, these are inputs from a laboratory or somewhere thats implanting dreams, I know this from one of my dreams ending in Russian titles of the Director and Producer, probably some little known film that never made Cam. This was odd to me, since I'm English and can't speak a word of Russian.

As far as I'm concerned I want to do a sleep experiment were I generate my own personalised varient of a Faraday cage that removes all radiological atmospherics from the room it surrounds, so I can sleep there. As I believe I won't dream (and probably have the best sleep I've had in my life)

whitewolf said:
Hmmm.. If color is our brains' interpretation of light (different light waves stimulate the cones, etc), and if there is close to no light entering the eye when we sleep at night.... How do we dream in color? Note, that in the night-dark room, you see things mostly in black and white! It therefore could be a recollection of color that our brain assigns to various things in the dream. And, as someone said earlier, we could be dreaming in black and white, but our brain can not accept that it isn't color.

By that argument, dreams would not include visual information. Light (black
and white or otherwise) has to go through the ol' eyeball. The very fact that
people dream both sight and color (amongst other senses) contradict the argument.

Stryderunknown said:
these are not my dreams, these are inputs from a laboratory or somewhere thats implanting dreams

Prove the claim and I'll purchase that customized Faraday cage for you.

I'm not making an argument; only an inquiry. It can't be recollections of images, because we dream things that aren't possible in life and that never took place. So the brain puts things together all by itself. Fascinating. But how?

these are inputs from a laboratory or somewhere thats implanting dreams, I know this from one of my dreams ending in Russian titles of the Director and Producer, probably some little known film that never made Cam. This was odd to me, since I'm English and can't speak a word of Russian.

Blah blah. The Shadow Gov't recalls no such actions. :p

I'm not making an argument; only an inquiry. It can't be recollections of images, because we dream things that aren't possible in life and that never took place. So the brain puts things together all by itself. Fascinating. But how?

Imagination. Apparently, there are more kinds of it: imagination that is useful and practical when it comes to sloving everyday problems, and then the more artistic kind of imagination. But the organizing principle seems to be the same in both: combining things in yet unseen ways to deliver a certain (new) meaning or solve a problem.

EDIT: See for example Bosch' "The garden of earthly delights" -- how things are mixed up in that picture. While we, in our everyday lifes, feel much like that figure in the fruit, looking through a tube, seeing a mouse -- a very limited perspective is what we are confined to, while all those things go on around us ...

Last edited:
Crunchy Cat,
The simplest way I can percieve of proving it is to do a Sleep Lab experiment where the conditions are met, So I'd just have to find a sleep lab that would help setup the cage to prove/disprove it.

whitewolf said:

That's a tough question.

Stryderunknown said:
Crunchy Cat,
The simplest way I can percieve of proving it is to do a Sleep Lab experiment where the conditions are met, So I'd just have to find a sleep lab that would help setup the cage to prove/disprove it.

A) It's not possible to 'disprove' a claim.
B) If you did not dream in the environment proposed, it does not prove
your claim.

Crunchy_Cat,
It matters not if I "prove/disprove", it woudl just be great to get some sleep for once.

Im acually sueing god/dess for the new HD V. of dreams it's like dREAM V. 89.3.4.5.0.1 I think...

Back