Epicurean Riddle

Discussion in 'Religion' started by allisone417, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, ye're not very tolerant of the beliefs of others, are you? Don't you like others to be tolerant of your own beliefs?

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

not really, but I am right and they are wrong.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

just kidding

is that not true though? do they not throw logic out the proverbial window? moreover, I would call most religious leaders eccentric, and many must be delusional since they can't all be right, and I am sure that some are power hungry. where is the flaw in my argument?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

No, you are 100% correct, only the other day (monday) in my religious studies class we had some religious nut come in and prove to us that evolution is not a proven fact! He then backed up this claim by showing us this completly bias video, of some other religious nut proving that there was a god and that evoloution wasnt a fact!!

This fruit loop was also probably 'power hungry', he just didnt express it in his 'speech'!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ProCop Valued Senior Member

God put the freedom as basis of his/her creation. You are free to be evil, you are free to be good...

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, do they not "throw logic out the window" when they talk about "love"?

Do they not "throw logic out the window" when they tell young teens to abstain from sex?

Logic can serve people well in many, most situations. But whenever human emotions are at play, logic might as well be so much hot air and smoke. And just so you know, human emotions play a significant role in human interaction and human events, including national and world politics.

I would say that most, if not all, humans exhibit that very trait in varying degrees. And religious leaders are, afterall, human, are they not?

The flaw in your argument? Well, if there is one, it's your attempt to use logic to explain something that has been shown thoughout human history to be anything but logical ....human emotions. "I'm right and ye're wrong!" is the mainstay of human emotional interaction.

Baron Max

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

no, love makes very much sense when you examine it. people feel "love" because they are genetically programmed to. it promotes survival. this does not explain away all of loves illogicality, but you can at least say "yeah, I can see how love might arise as a strong influence on our actions"

no, they know it may not work because the hormones in teenagers are telling them to have sex, but they try anyway in a struggle to promote their values. that is not illogical, its simply the best method available.

by saying they exhibit these traits, I imply that they posses them with a greater magnitude than average. similarly, saying "wow that person is energetic" does not simply mean that they use energy, as all human so, but that they use an exceptional amount.

returning to my original point, it is no so much the illogicality of religion that bothers me, as love is still fairly illogical and yet does does not bother me, it is the way that illogicality seeps from people's personal beliefs into all matters. religious doctrine has evolved over time to control people, and to reject what might be objectively more beneficial thoughts and actions, and replaces them with the ideology of whomever was fortunate enough to have their doctrine catch on. in short, it replaces original thoughts with the thoughts of those who write doctrine.

the above is pointed at most mainstream religions, as some do not operate this way.