Even if Bible is God's Word, it is still useless for guidance

tiassa said:
And what was the purpose of God's long-winded, boastful lecture? Could it be that Job cursed the day of his birth, thus cursing the will of God? If God came down in a whirlwind and lectured you so rudely, would you dare curse His actual name?

And hey, ask any atheist: the day they see and talk to God, they'll believe. I mean, it's God.
I wouldn't be so sure. It's happened once and they crucified Him.

The purpose of God's lecture was to put things into perspective. Like all of us here, Job was not able to see the grand scheme of things. God's surprising answer is not so much an explanation as a statement of fact, a glimpse into God's world. We have our lives to live, things will happen to us, but we shouldn't make the mistake of jumping to conclusions about God, since we don't deal in matters of Creation. After all, we only know Him by revelation, and according to our limitations. Job was literally dumbstruck in the face of God's revelation, and for all he had to say about his lot before, he was forced to admit his own inability to comprehend what happened. Then God asks him to pray for his misguided friends who tried to explain it all to him with some very comprehensive theological arguments - the kind you'd hear in many churches and that are tempting to give in discussions like this one.

If Job is going to despise himself and repent in dust and ashes, and if the Lord is going to charge him a fee for the privilege, then ought not the Lord at least let him know, after all that bluster and bullstuff, that it was all for a freaking wager?
You suppose the wager was arbitrary, circumstancial, purposeless. Job played a part in something that was so relevant to human experience that we're still talking about it 4000 years later. The moral of the story, if you want to have one, is faith. Job was innocent; he had nothing to repent from. That was the basis of his faith. His friends wanted him to confess some imagined sin, but he simply pleaded with God to recognize his innocence. Satan's involvement isn't even mentioned after the second chapter. He merely sets a stage on which Job's trial plays out. In that respect it's very similar to Genesis 3 in scale and significance. Where Adam's was a tale of sin against the backdrop of paradise, Job's is a tale of faith against a backdrop of hell. Both are relevant for God's final judgment over every person.
Ezekiel 14:12-14;22
The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, if a country sins against me by being unfaithful and I stretch out my hand against it to cut off its food supply and send famine upon it and kill its men and their animals, even if these three men—Noah, Daniel and Job—were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign LORD.

[Righteous survivors] will come to you, and when you see their conduct and their actions, you will be consoled regarding the disaster I have brought upon Jerusalem—every disaster I have brought upon it. You will be consoled when you see their conduct and their actions, for you will know that I have done nothing in it without cause, declares the Sovereign LORD."​

I take issue with that explanation because, in part, of the ellipsis in your citation of Gen. 2.4-7. Specifically:

These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created. In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up--for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was no man to till the ground; but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground--then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

"In the day" is an expression that means, more or less, "at the time".

Consider, please:

Jenyar: Genesis 2 already gives the sense, when it recaps the entire creation account of Gen. 1 in one sentence
Paraphrase: "At the time the Lord made the earth and heavens, when no plant of the field was yet in the earth ...."​

It reconciles better than marking the whole of creation as a time when there was no plant of the field, &c. We need not even worry about the "recap" disagreeing with the "original" account.
That's a fine theory. It certainly makes sense to interpret "in the day" as "at the time" or "when" - but what does that "when" refer to? Biblical commentators disagree with your conclusion that it simply refers to the immediate surroundings. The clause does (which is why I omitted it).
These [are] the generations of the heavens and the earth, when they were created…
That is, the above account, delivered in the preceding chapter, is a history of the production of the heavens and earth, and of all things in them; the creation of them being a kind of generation, and the day of their creation a sort of birthday; see (Gen. 5:1) (Matt. 1:1)

in the day that the Lord God made the earth, and the heavens;
meaning not any particular day, not the first day, in which the heavens and the earth were created; but referring to the whole time of the six days, in which everything in them, and relating to them, were made. (The New John Gill Exposition)
Which is why the NIV translates it (I'll leave the clause in this time):
When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens - and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground - the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Getting back to Satan:

And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden; but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"

But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen. 3.2-5, RSV)

The serpent responded to Eve; if we are to pretend that from speaking to listening, Eve forgot what they were talking about, well, we're more naîve than she--before the fruit. Look at the word "for", as in, "You will not die. For God knows ...."

Look, I'm not binding you specifically to a modern dictionary, but click the link and scroll down past the abbreviation and the prefix, and read through the definitions of the word "for". I'll save you the effort, since I can't believe I'm actually calling out a dictionary for this one.

Look past the first block of definitions regarding the word as a preposition.

There is a quick definition regarding the word as a conjunction: "Because, since".

Thus we can look at what Satan said:

• "You will not die, because God knows ...."
• "You will not die. (God has told you this) Because God knows ...."​

It is the same meaning of the word "for" as found in Gen. 2.17:

• "... you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it, you shall die."
• "... you shall not eat, because in the day ...."​

If Eve is so stupid as to lose track of the conversation so quickly, what did God expect?

Satan emphatic? Well, he was also correct. Or, at least, so says me, for at least these reasons.
I'm not sure I follow yur reasoning. What's the difference between Eve's "lest you die" and God's "for (or because) in the day... you shall die"? Unless you take God's words that Eve repeats out of her answer, your argument does not make sense to me. She understood that eat=death, and repeated this undestanding to the serpent. The serpent throws doubt on God's words by making them sound like an empty threat, to paraphrase: "So God says you will 'surely die'? I say you will not 'surely die' - He knows you'll become like Him and doesn't want that". It isn't necessary to invoke a dictionary to realize the causal connection between act and consequence. God's warning was clear, and Eve understood it as He intended, until the serpent questioned God's motives and took the "sting" out of His warning, in fact making it seem desireable to "become like God". No doubt the suggestion is that if you become like God you will not die as a human, they would become the self-existant masters of their own fate - a desire reminiscent of the enigmatic King of Tyre:
Ezekiel 28
" 'In the pride of your heart
you say, "I am a god;
I sit on the throne of a god
in the heart of the seas."
But you are a man and not a god,
though you think you are as wise as a god.
Will you then say, "I am a god,"
in the presence of those who kill you?
You will be but a man, not a god,
in the hands of those who slay you.​

But to become like God meant they would experience death as God meant it - i.e. not purely physical. God's warning doesn't become false because Satan's words seem true in a limited sense. The serpent's words are only unqualifiably true for immediate physical death, and can only seem true to you if physical death was all there is. I can't convince you otherwise - as with Adam and Eve, it all depends on whom you place your trust in. But to me, the mere fact that a tree of life exists (which wasn't a forbidden tree before), and that Adam and Eve immediately realized their shameful state, suggests there was more to their life in Eden.

They were formed from dust, and would become more like God than even the good image they were created in. So God humbled them, let them return to dust. And made the serpent as low as one can go. Before, they just had to listen, but now they would have to learn for themselves to see how sin brings death.
Indirectly affected?

Statement of fact?

God's sustenance?

What would a direct effect have looked like? What is the factual basis of "must"? Is the withdrawal of that sustenance somehow out of God's hands, transcendent of His authority?
Indirect because God did not touch them. Their circumstances changed, the earth was cursed because of his sin. The pain of childbearing refers to a woman's "labour" as opposed to a man's "labour". I'm sure you can see the connection.

That separation is God's choice.
The separation was God's prerogative. God exercised both justice and mercy - letting sin bear out its consequenses, but not letting it take their life without a chance to return to Him.

I was more referring to your tinkering with Original Sin.

Sounds like a fortune cookie. Nonetheless, I'm referring to how Original Sin gets redefined every time the definition becomes problematic.
If the definition is unbiblical, it's in our best interests to redefine it. There is no indication anywhere in the Bible that children go to hell for Adam's sin, but there is a lot of evidence that all people suffer the effects of it and give in to the same tempation: wanting to become the gods of our own life, deciding what is ultimately right "just like God".

There are a number of small, relevant, and even perhaps interesting issues that arise. Some of them suggest subtler answers to your question than, merely, "Because God said so." Thematically, "evil" seems to reject false faith. Adam and Eve believed a lie, and perhaps the serpent simply couldn't tolerate that. Job, as Satan pointed out, had every reason for faith. What is there for God to brag about in such easy faith?

It's not that "evil" doesn't make mistakes. Quite obviously, the serpent estimated wrongly God's disposition. Satan clearly measured Job wrongly.
Ah. The honest mistakes of evil intentions. Calling good evil and evil good... where did I see that phrase? Yes: Isaiah 5. It's Adam's sin of "trying to be good" when you were created good. I guess it sounds like a good excuse for disobedience. The devil is just trying to be a good satan, I'm sure. And it must be equally tempting to shift the blame onto satan when it seems convenient.

As a side note, I use "evil" in the above paragraph because every once in a while, I come across the theory that Satan and the serpent are separate entities. Nonetheless, if we accept the serpent as Satan, we might also answer your question by pointing out that God chose to set the serpent and its seed against woman and her seed. If the serpent is Satan, then the devil's motive for challenging God's braggadocio might well be the enmity placed in its heart by God Himself.
Evidently, God just officially ordained things as they already were. "As it happened, so will it be". With his punishment, God was limiting satan to the physical world, utlimately to be destroyed in hell. The serpent was here something natural to Eden - a "guardian angel ordained by God" according to Ezekiel 28:14 - a created being who rebelled against God and incites rebellion: God's accuser ("satan" means accuser). In Job he is man's satan. So of course it's his motive - it had always been. That doesn't exonerate him or anyone from responsibilty for their actions. Adam tried to blame God by saying it was God who gave him Eve, who seuced him. Are you also trying to shift personal responsibility on to God? Is that what this is about?

Quote J:
“If I were God I would have the knowledge and wisdom to do the right thing, the power to punish or protect, and since justice (as my creation has come to know it) belongs to me, it will by default be the right thing and not an "atrocity".”

* `K, this is your faith talking. We cannot agree on this point.

Quote J:
“And I presume you don't wish to make the analogy that because it's right when God does it by His own authority, it's also right that we do it. We don't have His authority.”

* I abhor violence of any nature.

Quote J:
“I'm not a Calvinist, but even if I were it would point to some agreement over doctrine, not to a desire to share Calvin's sins. There is no man righteous, not even one.”

* Yep. Standard answer. Calvin had it wrong. You have the RIGHT take on Christianity? But you are essentially condoning Calvins behaviour right?

Quote J:
“I'm acquainted with my share of pain, but that's besides the point. God doesn't take pleasure in the agony of sinners - deserved or undeserved - which is why He provides a way back to life by offering to forgive our sins. I would rather be punished in this life so that I can correct my sins than live in the blissful ignorance of thinking I'm innocent and somehow deserved my life. Now that I know what it's worth to God I can appreciate it that much more.”

* He gives us sin in the first place. Then he offers to take it away. `K. And what pleasure is god taking here?

"And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel. And the LORD said unto Moses, 'Take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.'" (Numbers 25:3-4)

* Explain to me EXACTLY what is going on here? Dumb it down for me so I can understand god is taking no pleasure in agony here.

Quote J:
“If they trust in their gods, they are dependent on them for salvation. They wouldn't expect any less would they? They have their hope, I have mine. You may be confident enough to judge where they will end up, I don't share that confidence. I know that those who believe and confess the Jesus Lord are promised salvation, but I can't speak for those who don't have this promise. What is left is uncertainty, not certainty the other way. God will save whoever He knows, not whoever claims to know Him.”

* What you are saying is that your degree of being right regarding your salvation, is exactly the same degree that a Muslim has of being right. Your uncertainty is exactly the same as the uncertainty of a Muslim.

Quote J:
“We're all sinners. God deemed them worthy of life or they would not have HAD a life to lose. I'm sure you like the idea of God "happily letting them drown", but that says more of your idea of God than of the flood itself. “

* Its not about my idea of god. The fact is he let them drown.

Quote J:
“That's not the first and only natural disaster to happen in the world, and I'm sure the distress was as great as any premature death would be. But like I told tiassa, it does not suddenly become worse because God is mentioned. The Babylonians believed God was merely irritated at all the noise people were making. Maybe that will make you feel better about their deaths. Or what about you remove the idea of God completely. I'm sure that would mean their deaths were peaceful and natural.”

* It suddenly become a WHOLE LOT worse if god is mentioned, because in this case, god CAUSED the flood. That is whet your Bible says. With god out of the equation, it becomes a natural disaster. But we are talking Bible here. Drowning is not peaceful or natural. God or no god.

Quote J:
“Maybe you have a vested interest in imagining God to be some unbiblical sadist, and you're free to hold on to that idea. But you did not create heaven and earth, cannot give eternal life to anyone who dies - sinner or saint - and that makes you a bit unqualified to judge God as far as I'm concerned.”

* No vested interest. I read the Bible and I see atrocities. I don’t claim any status (god) apart from being a simple thinking human being. I am absolutely qualified to form opinions on the god that I read about in the Bible.

Allcare.

Quote w:
“No, you just haven't read the Bible.”

* Hehe. Presumptuous little thing aren’t you?

Quote w:
“Indeed, why the hell should God require anything, right?! He should just sit up there, and do whatever anyone asks of Him, and be a good and obedient personal slot machine!”

* Why do you think an omnipotent god would require adulation?

Quote w:
“As long as you believe God is playing with you, you will feel played with.
And what exactly is so difficult?
And what exactly would be our "expense"?”

* No, don’t worry we are not talking my beliefs here. Regarding the difficulty question water, you are an example of this. The “expense” is, if you don’t get the message (correct one) in time, you are going to burn.

Quote w:
“No. But in the name of logic and empiricism, I will not sit here and watch fallacious arguments being made.”

* Good.

Quote w:
“Next time you get assaulted, raped, and beaten up, then preach about "acknowledging power". Your bones will be broken, and your ass ripped up, and no amount of not acknowledging the assaulter's power will make those wounds go away.”

* I am deeply sorry for you if you are speaking from experience here water. That would make sense. But once again, you are being presumptuous about the condition of my ass.

Quote w:
“Let's get this straight: If there is no objective obligatory morality all would have to adhere to, and all people can choose whatever they wish to believe or follow, then there is NO such thing as "atrocity".”

* Nope, but I think we all understand, within the context of this debate, and our life experiences, that “atrocities” exist.

Quote w:
“Once you produce a moral ground upon which you can condemn atrocities, then you wil have a point. But as long as you advocate ultimate moral relativism, there is no such thing as "atrocity".”

* I hear you, and you are right in your deduction. But I am speaking from the basis of my own moral relativism. Maybe I should put it this way for the record:

"An ye harm none, do what ye will".

* And no I am not a Wiccan.

Quote w:
“You assume God is as tricky as humans and will be quick to judge, regardless whether someone was able to commit a crime he is being accused of, or not.”

* Is it not written in the Bible that us humans were created in gods’ image. The same inference goes for the devout Christians, who believe they can correctly interpret god as depicted in the Bible.

Quote w:
“No, you don't understand it, or you wouldn't be asking what happens to the mentally incapacitated and new-borns.”

* You’ll have to explain yourself here? No comprehendo.

Quote s:
* And if you follow Islam or Buddhism (born into an Islamic family) and don’t send your love his way, you fall short of his glory and in his wisdom god gives you eternal damnation. So this glory that god requires, what is it exactly? ”

Quote w:
“You tricky, unkind human.”

* What is so difficult to understand here? Tricky? Unkind? Because I have common sense?

Quote w:
“And I believe you believe God is ultimately tricky and unjust.”

* Ho hum, not being presumptuous again are you?

Allcare.

stretched said:
Quote J:
“If I were God I would have the knowledge and wisdom to do the right thing, the power to punish or protect, and since justice (as my creation has come to know it) belongs to me, it will by default be the right thing and not an "atrocity".”

* `K, this is your faith talking. We cannot agree on this point.
That's actually a step forward. Because you're also talking from faith - faith in your image of who God is.

Quote J:
“And I presume you don't wish to make the analogy that because it's right when God does it by His own authority, it's also right that we do it. We don't have His authority.”

Is this just your opinion, or do you have some reason to believe there's something wrong with "violence of any nature"? Why? Because it seems to me unlikely that you came to this conclusion from a purely naturalistic perspective, considering the nature of nature.

Quote J:
“I'm not a Calvinist, but even if I were it would point to some agreement over doctrine, not to a desire to share Calvin's sins. There is no man righteous, not even one.”

* Yep. Standard answer. Calvin had it wrong. You have the RIGHT take on Christianity? But you are essentially condoning Calvins behaviour right?
And you have the self-righteousness to call Water presumptious? Calvin was a human being. He sinned. Apart from how he understood the Bible and the gospel. I didn't say Calvin had it wrong (whatever you mean by "it"), I say he made some wrong decisions. Same with Luther, same with all people. I'm content to let God judge them.

This might come as a surprise you, but Calvin is not Christianity; he has no authority over Christ.

Quote J:
“I'm acquainted with my share of pain, but that's besides the point. God doesn't take pleasure in the agony of sinners - deserved or undeserved - which is why He provides a way back to life by offering to forgive our sins. I would rather be punished in this life so that I can correct my sins than live in the blissful ignorance of thinking I'm innocent and somehow deserved my life. Now that I know what it's worth to God I can appreciate it that much more.”

* He gives us sin in the first place. Then he offers to take it away. `K. And what pleasure is god taking here?
Gave us sin? Which Bible have you been reading? Sin is a judgment over an action. God made us able to act. I don't see you complaining about that freedom anywhere else, why only when you could be held accountable for it before God?

"And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel. And the LORD said unto Moses, 'Take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.'" (Numbers 25:3-4)

* Explain to me EXACTLY what is going on here? Dumb it down for me so I can understand god is taking no pleasure in agony here.
Maybe you should try a few different translations, unless you enjoy being confused like this. "Hang them up before/against the sun" means to expose their sin in broad daylight, and the heads are either of those responsible for the sin, or the judges in verse 5, where we see how Moses carries out the command: "So Moses ordered Israel's judges to execute everyone who had joined in worshiping Baal of Peor." The judgement is averted when Pinehas kills an Israelite who shows no concern for God's judgement by continuing with his immorality. God says he "made atonement for the [guilty] Israelites" (Num. 25:12).

* What you are saying is that your degree of being right regarding your salvation, is exactly the same degree that a Muslim has of being right. Your uncertainty is exactly the same as the uncertainty of a Muslim.
My certainty is in Christ. If they're uncertain, they should inspect their faith. God will decide the "degree of being right" (more commonly expressed as "who is righteous before Him").

The fact is that they drownded. You don't believe in God. I believe God let His will be done, and that our lives on earth are subject to His judgment, as is our eternal destination when we die, regardless of how we died.

* It suddenly become a WHOLE LOT worse if god is mentioned, because in this case, god CAUSED the flood. That is whet your Bible says. With god out of the equation, it becomes a natural disaster. But we are talking Bible here. Drowning is not peaceful or natural. God or no god.
So you actually don't have any ground to stand on, ebcause "drowning is not peaceful or natural. God or no god." That means you can't condemn what happened based on how "terrible it must have been". It must be judged based on God's moral character, which as the Bible also says, was righteous anger at the godlessness and immorality of these people. Their lives were considered forfeit by the only Judge who gets to decide what our lives are worth. No injustice was done, because all of them would still be judged individually after they died. It is only unjust if they had any right that can exist independently of God. If I follow your argument, it seems God should bow to your indignation about their violent deaths.

Would you have let crime, immorality and idolatry thrive along with those who'd like peace and justice as if it were all the same to you? What would happen to your perpetual paradise, if we're to be realistic? And no fantasies - the world Noah inhabited, this world. If it's the way you want it, why are you complaining about God's intervention?

stretched,

And? How realistic is that? At least as long as people eat meat, there will be violence.

Well, that you say God *let* them drown (while other options are at least a) drowned them, b) came to rescue but too late) says you have a specific idea of God.

Drowning is not peaceful or natural? Go see the statistics for how many people drown each year, at work or at play, see what is "natural". I personally knew a boy who drowned in a river while trying to get a ball that fell in.
And see how many animals drown while crossing rivers or in accidents. Cats and dogs fall into water containers. I myself have helped rescue two dogs out of an abandoned pool, they would have drowned if left there.
Drowning is very natural, it happens naturally.

* Why do you think an omnipotent god would require adulation?

Adulation?!

Admiration or adoration, yes, but not adulation. And it's not that an omnipotent God *requires* admiration -- it to His creatures as a matter of course to bow down before the Infinitely Great. The question is only whether one will admit this, and how one will show this admiration.

The “expense” is, if you don’t get the message (correct one) in time, you are going to burn.

And this is where you are wrong. You are judging by *human* standards what "getting it right" is, not by God's. People tend to be very, very presumptuous about "getting it right".

* Nope, but I think we all understand, within the context of this debate, and our life experiences, that “atrocities” exist.

Yes, most humans have at least some sense of morality to adhere to, but not that they can justify it.

“You assume God is as tricky as humans and will be quick to judge, regardless whether someone was able to commit a crime he is being accused of, or not.”

* Is it not written in the Bible that us humans were created in gods’ image. The same inference goes for the devout Christians, who believe they can correctly interpret god as depicted in the Bible.

This is self-victimizing thinking on your part, eager to find offense. I'm sorry, but it's true, and I know it very well as I used to think that way too.

Any person who says he has a full and correct understanding of God, or you, is dreadfully presumptuous.

And secondly, it is possible to correctly interpret something said in the Bible, but this by no way means a human can take God's power into his own hands. Albeit, many try.

“No, you don't understand it, or you wouldn't be asking what happens to the mentally incapacitated and new-borns.”

* You’ll have to explain yourself here? No comprehendo.

Conscience. It was said we are judged in accordance with our conscience. What about the conscience of the mentally incapacitated and newborns? Do they have the same kind of conscience like a normal adult?

Quote s:
* And if you follow Islam or Buddhism (born into an Islamic family) and don’t send your love his way, you fall short of his glory and in his wisdom god gives you eternal damnation. So this glory that god requires, what is it exactly? ”

Quote w:
“You tricky, unkind human.”

* What is so difficult to understand here? Tricky? Unkind? Because I have common sense?

You display a thinking that says God is as judgmental and limited as humans.

“And I believe you believe God is ultimately tricky and unjust.”

* Ho hum, not being presumptuous again are you?

Not at all. You keep on having all that beef with God.

Jenyar said:
Would you have let crime, immorality and idolatry thrive along with those who'd like peace and justice as if it were all the same to you? What would happen to your perpetual paradise, if we're to be realistic? And no fantasies - the world Noah inhabited, this world. If it's the way you want it, why are you complaining about God's intervention?

Good point.

(Endless nameless?)

Jenyar said:

I wouldn't be so sure. It's happened once and they crucified Him.

Oh, come now.

The purpose of God's lecture was to put things into perspective. Like all of us here, Job was not able to see the grand scheme of things

God has a habit of holding people accountable for His own choices.

Don't get me wrong; what I said earlier still applies:

Look, fair is fair according to the ultimate authority, but God has consciously chosen to apply separate standards: one standard of propriety for the leader, and another standard of propriety for the sheep. Thus the shepherd can screw the flock any way He wants and only the sheep will be punished.

The ultimate reality is the ultimate reality. Whether or not that ultimate reality depends on God's will to determine its status, we have reached the point where the only response is, "C'est la vie", or, "Que será será."

But God undertook an inquiry as a wager, assigned Satan to test Job, and then conceded defeat when Job's repentance came after his faith had transformed to knowledge.

Job was dumbstruck because his faith was confirmed.

You have faith, as I understand it, Jenyar. If God appeared before you and lectured you on your mistakes, you wouldn't be particularly affected by the experience?

You suppose the wager was arbitrary, circumstancial, purposeless. Job played a part in something that was so relevant to human experience that we're still talking about it 4000 years later.

And all those years later, people still miss the point. For instance:

The moral of the story, if you want to have one, is faith. Job was innocent; he had nothing to repent from. That was the basis of his faith

First, I wanted to note that we're treating the Old Testament in its own historical context here. That's important to me, personally, as a side issue. (The RSV is criticized heavily by evangelicals on that very point, but I'm actually pleased to see this in the present discussion.) What, for instance, does Christ say of faith and having nothing to repent? With the Old Testament in its own context, we cannot reject Job's innocence.

Nonetheless, look at the sequence of events: Job repented after coming face-to-face with God. What would you say if God came down and lectured you to your face on your mistakes?

That's a fine theory.

I admit, I'm nearly dumbstruck. You've made the chronological disagreement of Gen. 1 and 2 relevant.

Your citation notes: "meaning not any particular day, not the first day, in which the heavens and the earth were created; but referring to the whole time of the six days, in which everything in them, and relating to them, were made."

Very interesting, Jenyar. You wrote earlier, "Genesis 2 already gives the sense, when it recaps the entire creation account of Gen. 1 in one sentence". Do you still hold by that statement, since it only compounds the problem you've run up against?

Genesis 1

• Day 1: Light.
• Day 2: Water from water; under the firmament from above
• Day 3: Plants
• Day 6: Man

Genesis 2

• (v. 4 - 7) These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created. In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up--for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was no man to till the ground; but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground--then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.​

Genesis 2 the creation of Man on day two, instead of day six.

'Tis true, as your citation notes, it is not be day one. It is late on day two or early on day 3, according to Genesis 2. The period described in Genesis 2 only encompasses the whole six days of creation as a doctrinal insistence despite the Bible.

The NIV translation doesn't help your case; creation of Man, in Genesis 2, occurs, in other words, in the day that "no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground". The waters are separated (day two), the plants have not arrived (day 3).

It isn't necessary to invoke a dictionary to realize the causal connection between act and consequence. God's warning was clear, and Eve understood it as He intended, until the serpent questioned God's motives and took the "sting" out of His warning, in fact making it seem desireable to "become like God".

Take the "sting" out of it? The serpent called the lie.

No doubt the suggestion is that if you become like God you will not die as a human

Again, you're reading into the Bible what's not there in the text. Your cynicism (or faith, if you prefer) seems to be getting in the way of your understanding.

The "suggestion", which is pretty darn clear in the text, is that Satan informs Eve that no, the fruit won't kill her, and God only told her that because he didn't want to tell her the truth.

And this, more than anything, is where sin enters the world. The moment Eve considered the possibility that the serpent could be correct, she doubted God. The sin, the loss of innocence, is the collapse of complete and natural faith. It wasn't a faith we recognize much in online discussions, but is a childlike faith that comes from not knowing otherwise. Until the serpent, the only other beings Adam is known to have interacted with at a communicative level are God and Eve. In Eve's case it is less clear; she may only have interacted with Adam.°

But to become like God meant they would experience death as God meant it - i.e. not purely physical. God's warning doesn't become false because Satan's words seem true in a limited sense.

"Seem true in a limited sense"?

Maybe that's progress.

The serpent's words are only unqualifiably true for immediate physical death, and can only seem true to you if physical death was all there is.

I think you're just desperately splitting hairs. Let's look to the Bible, why don't we? Where does God make explain distinction to Adam and Eve? He does not.

If wisdom is death, then Adam and Eve were already dead inside and that's how God made it, anyway. The idea that this tragic string of godly errors is the only way God could do it is laughable. What, then, binds God? If this is the only way He could do it, what is the authority that limits His power?

If wisdom is not death, what about it leads to that "other" death? God's will, it seems.

Or am I mistaken to take God's instruction to Adam in Genesis 2.16-17 as instruction and not a threat? Was God meaning to say, "in the day that you eat of it I shall cause your death"?

There are directions to go in defense of traditional doctrine, but at best you're simply making the mistake of failing to recognize Eve's mental state before the fruit. When you say, "can only seem true to you if", you're looking at the situation from a post-fruit condition. In fact, that's a problem with most of how you're approaching the Fall in this discussion.

I can't convince you otherwise - as with Adam and Eve, it all depends on whom you place your trust in

That's one way of putting it, albeit not a very good one. As you note, you're presuming much that isn't written in the Bible: "But to me, the mere fact that a tree of life exists (which wasn't a forbidden tree before), and that Adam and Eve immediately realized their shameful state, suggests there was more to their life in Eden."

They were formed from dust, and would become more like God than even the good image they were created in. So God humbled them

Now you're getting it.

let them return to dust.

Let? Allowed? How about, "took proactive measures to ensure that they would return to dust"?

You wrote earlier, "Their exile is a statement of fact: 'He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.'"

I still don't get the basis of "statement of fact", but you also point to God's decision to ensure that Adam and Eve return to dust.

Before, they just had to listen, but now they would have to learn for themselves to see how sin brings death.

Well, maybe God shouldn't have lied in the first place. Maybe God shouldn't have been so afraid of a little knowledge. Rather than a progressive relationship, God chose one of master and servant. The separation is God's choice. After all, with God, all things are possible.

Indirect because God did not touch them.

Oh, for the love of ....

The pain of childbearing refers to a woman's "labour" as opposed to a man's "labour". I'm sure you can see the connection.

Explain it if you think it's that important.

The separation was God's prerogative. God exercised both justice and mercy - letting sin bear out its consequenses, but not letting it take their life without a chance to return to Him.

(The preceding message was brought to you from Behind the Veils of Doctrine and Faith.)

Justice and mercy? Sounds mafioso to me. Dead men don't pay.

If the definition is unbiblical, it's in our best interests to redefine it.

Okay.

There is no indication anywhere in the Bible that children go to hell for Adam's sin, but there is a lot of evidence that all people suffer the effects of it and give in to the same tempation: wanting to become the gods of our own life, deciding what is ultimately right "just like God".

There is a clear indication in the Bible that the only way to Redemption is through Christ.

The honest mistakes of evil intentions. Calling good evil and evil good... where did I see that phrase? Yes: Isaiah 5. It's Adam's sin of "trying to be good" when you were created good. I guess it sounds like a good excuse for disobedience. The devil is just trying to be a good satan, I'm sure. And it must be equally tempting to shift the blame onto satan when it seems convenient.

And the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Apparently, quite a few of them are God's.

Evidently, God just officially ordained things as they already were.

If you say so ...?

With his punishment, God was limiting satan to the physical world, utlimately to be destroyed in hell. The serpent was here something natural to Eden - a "guardian angel ordained by God" according to Ezekiel 28:14 - a created being who rebelled against God and incites rebellion: God's accuser ("satan" means accuser). In Job he is man's satan. So of course it's his motive - it had always been.

God's design, God's will, God's fault.

That doesn't exonerate him or anyone from responsibilty for their actions

What? God ordered Satan to test Job. It's in the freakin' Bible that way.

What if Satan refused? Told God, "No, I said your hand, not mine. Why won't you reach out your own hand?" What then? Satan as rebel all over again? Doctrinally, Satan can only lose because the doctrine is designed to maintain that notion.

Adam tried to blame God by saying it was God who gave him Eve, who seuced him.

Really?

He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?"

The man said, "The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate."

Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent beguiled me, and I ate." (Gen. 3.11-13, RSV)

Where does Adam blame her?

There is a difference between telling someone what happened and blaming someone else for it. Eve, claiming the serpent beguiled her, is blaming someone else for it. Adam did not plead that he was deceived, he did not plead that he was tempted. She put the fruit before him and he ate.

You'll notice that God didn't say, "How, Eve, did the serpent beguile you?"

Are you also trying to shift personal responsibility on to God? Is that what this is about?

The last horse crosses the finish line?

What happens as a result of God's will is God's fault.

Now, to reiterate again:

Look, fair is fair according to the ultimate authority, but God has consciously chosen to apply separate standards: one standard of propriety for the leader, and another standard of propriety for the sheep. Thus the shepherd can screw the flock any way He wants and only the sheep will be punished.

How you feel about that outcome is up to you. But if that's the way it is, that's the way it is, and there's nothing we can do about it. In the meantime, it doesn't honor God much to invent thick doctrine to suppress a truth that corrodes faith.

Faith should be dynamic and alive, not a sculptured testament to the dead.

Notes:

° Que será será - see The Simpsons, "Bart's Comet", #2F11. Interestingly, Ned Flanders has become one of the most recognizable Christians on the planet; Christianity Today writes:

Like many of the series' characters, Flanders is the frequent object of satire .... Nevertheless, Flanders is a complex and nuanced character who often raises serious issues.

Consider his journey of faith ....

CT also considers a fundamentalist Baptist family that appeared on the cover of Time magazine, and notes, "Yet the Scheibners may be more of a caricature than the Flanders family, who are fully engaged in the world."

I raise this because Ned Flanders understands my point:

Poirier said of the Beatles, "They are a group, and the unmistakable group identity exists almost in spite of sharp individuation....It is precisely this unusual individuation which explains, I think, why the Beatles are so much stronger than any other group..." Like The Beatles, "The Simpsons" exhibits stark unity as well as unique characteristics. As a comet heads for Springfield, Flanders allows the entire town to squeeze into his bomb shelter, only to realize there is one person too many in it. The town members bicker with each other about who should leave, giving the audience an idea of who each person is. Eventually, Flanders is chosen to leave since Homer states, while apologizing to Ned's children, "Wait a minute! We all know the one thing we won't need in the future! Left-handed stores. That's you, Flanders!" Ned departs, singing "Que Sera, Sera", as he awaits his imminent doom. Within seconds, the town leaves the shelter and joins him in song as they realize the comet has been cut down by the polluted atmosphere and has become the size of a rock (another example of an episode's message, this one about pollution).

Basner

It should be noted, however, that Basner is incorrect in his recounting of the incident; the townspeople abandoned the shelter out of guilty conscience, and chose to stand beside Ned and await doom together, reinforcing the unmistakable group identity mentioned in his citation of Poirier. The environmental commentary comes immediately after that.

Ned understands. Que será será. C'est la vie. That's life.

° interacted with Adam - Consider the diversity of Adam and Eve's interaction and communication with other creatures. Okay, okay, apparently Adam may or may not have attempted to lie with various of the animals, since none were a suitable companion, and that must be one of the funniest scenes in the history of God's creation. But consider the serpent's role in a different term: An obscure bit from Crowley's Book of Thoth:

The Qabalists expanded this idea of Nothing, and got a second kind of Nothing which they called "Ain Soph"--"Without Limit". (This idea seems not unlike that of Space.) They then decided that in order to interpret this mere absence of any means of definition, it was necessary to postulate the Ain Soph Aur--"Limitless Light". By this they seem to have meant very much what the late Victorian men of science meant, or thought that they meant, by the Luminiferous Ether. (The Space-Time Continuum?)

All this is evidently without form and void; these are abstract conditions, not positive ideas. The next step must be the idea of Position. One must formulate this thesis: If there is anything except Nothing, it must exist within this Boundless Light; within this Space; within this inconceivable Nothingness, which cannot exist as Nothingness, but has to be conceived of as a Nothingness composed of the annihilation of two imaginary opposites. Thus appears The Point, which has "neither parts nor magnitude, but only position".

But position does not mean anything at all unless there is something else, some other position with which it can be compared. One has to describe it. The only way to do this is to have another Point, and that means that one must invent the number Two, making possible The Line.

But this Line does not really mean very much, because there is yet no measure of length. The limit of knowledge at this stage is that there are two things, in order to be able to talk about them at all. But one cannot say that they are near each other, or that they are far apart; one can only say that they are distant. In order to discriminate between them at all, there must be a third thing. We must have another point. One must invent The Surface; one must invent The Triangle. In doing this, incidentally, appears the whole of Plane Geometry. One can now say, "A is nearer to B than A is to C".

Coincidentally, after that sense of comparison that comes with three, comes Abyss.

That sense of comparison would have come eventually. Shallow atheistic barbs about the world being founded on incest do have a certain relevance: what would the situation have looked like if that comparison, that temptation, that knowledge came when Eve realized her firstborn son could give her better orgasms than his dad?

Eventually, Adam and Eve would have had to deal with somebody. Turns out that somebody was the serpent, and the introduction of comparison brought abysmal results.​

Works Cited:

Springfield Nuclear Power Plant (SNPP.com). "Episode Guide - (2F11) Bart's Comet". See http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F11.html

Pinsky, Mark I. "Saint Flanders". ChristianityToday.com. January 26, 2001. See http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/002/1.28.html

Basner, David M. "The Simpsons" as Fart, D'oh!, Art. SNPP.com. May 4, 2000. See http://www.snpp.com/other/papers/db.paper.html

Therion, Master. The Book of Thoth. See http://www.lilytears.com/spirituality/thelema/qabalah/tarotandnaples.htm

The Bible, Revised Standard Version. See http://etext.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html

Last edited:
Quote J:
“Is this just your opinion, or do you have some reason to believe there's something wrong with "violence of any nature"? Why? Because it seems to me unlikely that you came to this conclusion from a purely naturalistic perspective, considering the nature of nature.”

* My personal experience led me to this conclusion.

Quote w:
“And you have the self-righteousness to call Water presumptious? Calvin was a human being. He sinned. Apart from how he understood the Bible and the gospel. I didn't say Calvin had it wrong (whatever you mean by "it"), I say he made some wrong decisions. Same with Luther, same with all people. I'm content to let God judge them.”

Quote J:

* Calvin was a Christian. He torched Servetus, because that is what god willed him to do. His view, not mine. But if you say he sinned then he sinned only because he was acting on his Christian belief in this instance. His faith required him to torch a heretic. I am merely noting the atrocity of his action. You say he is a sinner, but nobody at the time thought or said as much. Too late for poor Servetus.

Quote J:
“Gave us sin? Which Bible have you been reading? Sin is a judgment over an action. God made us able to act. I don't see you complaining about that freedom anywhere else, why only when you could be held accountable for it before God?”

* The fall of man, in the Garden of Eden was pre-ordained by god. No? All the elements for disaster were in place. The touch-me-not tree with its eat-me-not fruit, gods warning to those who knew no right from wrong, and the wily old serpent who just happened to be passing by. Without this sin, would you need Jesus? So yes, god “gave” us sin.

Quote J:
“Maybe you should try a few different translations, unless you enjoy being confused like this. "Hang them up before/against the sun" means to expose their sin in broad daylight, and the heads are either of those responsible for the sin, or the judges in verse 5, where we see how Moses carries out the command: "So Moses ordered Israel's judges to execute everyone who had joined in worshiping Baal of Peor." The judgement is averted when Pinehas kills an Israelite who shows no concern for God's judgement by continuing with his immorality. God says he "made atonement for the [guilty] Israelites" (Num. 25:12).

* This it what the text says:

* I am illustrating the character of the Christian god. Where you get your interpretation regarding exposing their sin in broad daylight heaven only knows (Hmmm). A fistful of translations won’t change the fact that this text indicates a violent, bloodthirsty god, akin to Vlad the Impaler. Unfortunately it gets worse as you point out.

“And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand; And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel. (Numbers 25:7-8)

* God is so happy about this display of javelinship that he stays the plague. And …

25:11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy.

25:13 And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel.

* For his good javelin thrusting work, god gives Phinehas the priest gig. I can feel the love.

Quote J:
“My certainty is in Christ. If they're uncertain, they should inspect their faith. God will decide the "degree of being right" (more commonly expressed as "who is righteous before Him").

* No, the point is they are certain. They want you to inspect your faith. I am simply pointing out the logical problem here. You are both potentially 100% wrong or right, depending on faith.

Quote J:
“The fact is that they drownded. You don't believe in God. I believe God let His will be done, and that our lives on earth are subject to His judgment, as is our eternal destination when we die, regardless of how we died.

* You are hereby condoning the slaughter of innocent babies. Your constitutional right I suppose.

Quote J:
“So you actually don't have any ground to stand on, ebcause "drowning is not peaceful or natural. God or no god." That means you can't condemn what happened based on how "terrible it must have been". It must be judged based on God's moral character, which as the Bible also says, was righteous anger at the godlessness and immorality of these people. Their lives were considered forfeit by the only Judge who gets to decide what our lives are worth.

* You are doing the twist. My ground remains steady. I am forced to assume that on religious grounds, you condone the murder of babies by drowning.

Quote J:
“No injustice was done, because all of them would still be judged individually after they died. It is only unjust if they had any right that can exist independently of God.”

* The trauma of drowning was “just” in your eyes. First drowned, then interrogated and judged, to die again or burn. Can’t argue against that can I?

Quote J:
“If I follow your argument, it seems God should bow to your indignation about their violent deaths.”

* I want nothing to do with “this” god.

Quote J:
“Would you have let crime, immorality and idolatry thrive along with those who'd like peace and justice as if it were all the same to you? What would happen to your perpetual paradise, if we're to be realistic? And no fantasies - the world Noah inhabited, this world. If it's the way you want it, why are you complaining about God's intervention? “

* Crime against persons I have a problem with. Immorality (read fornication) and idolatry seem kinda silly reasons to exterminate all of life on planet Earth, bar our good friend Noah and kin, and the lucky animals that were spared. Sinful bunch of monkeys that they were. (where do you think Noah kept the sharks?)

* I am not complaining. I am simply pointing out some startling character flaws in the god you worship. The god of love that you worship, seems particularly biased and unloving to me. Maybe I’m so blinded by my sinful nature, that I am able to see these flaws?

Allcare.

stretched said:
* I am not complaining. I am simply pointing out some startling character flaws in the god you worship. The god of love that you worship, seems particularly biased and unloving to me. Maybe I’m so blinded by my sinful nature, that I am able to see these flaws?

Yes. Read the link I posted in the other thread.

There is a reason why people find God cruel and wicked, and it has nothing to do with God.

Joeman said:
Simply because the moral in the bible changes over time.

In OT time, God condone slavery. However according to Christians today, God is against slavery. God is either FOR or AGAINST slavery. It makes no sense to be for slavery at one point in time and against it in another point in time.

In OT time, God is against body piercings. It pissess off God so bad that God said people with piercings should be killed. In NT time, God is okay with piercing. Society today is a lot different from 2000 years ago. What's God's stance on piercing today? We don't know.

In OT time, God gets really pissed if a person wears clothes made off two pieces of fabric. In NT time, God is okay with it. What about today? Does God hate thongs? God is either FOR or AGAINST people wear clothes made off two kinds of fabric. Which one is it?

In NT time, God is against women talking inside a church. Today, God is okay with it. Or is it?

Since Bible is the one and only universal answer book and God is too busy dicking around to come down and update his book, it only makes sense that the bible is timeless. However, God kept changing his mind. If the bible teaches situational morals only, it is pretty much useless for today.

The bible was written for (and appropriate for) the people of the time. There have been many other communications from God since then. The fact that "christianity" chooses to ignore them or call them heresy does not make them untrue. The fact that christians do not accept the teacheings from God that have come down to prophets of other religions does not make them untrue either.

There is nothing in the bible to say that there would not be further teachings sent down from God (like those to Mohammed and Guru Nanak). And of course if the christian preisthood accepted these it lessened their power and postion as they then no longer had exclusivity to God's communications. This attitude is now institutionised within christianity.

The bible syas there would be false teachers but did not say who they were - maybe they were inside the church not outside it!!

Quote w:
“And? How realistic is that? At least as long as people eat meat, there will be violence.”

* I am not necessarily realistic, when It comes to abhorring violence. I suppose to accept and condone is better?

Quote w:
“Well, that you say God *let* them drown (while other options are at least a) drowned them, b) came to rescue but too late) says you have a specific idea of God.”

* O.K, You are right. God drowned them. This specific idea of god I gleaned from the Bible. It speaks for itself.

Quote w:
“Drowning is not peaceful or natural? Go see the statistics for how many people drown each year, at work or at play, see what is "natural". I personally knew a boy who drowned in a river while trying to get a ball that fell in.
And see how many animals drown while crossing rivers or in accidents. Cats and dogs fall into water containers. I myself have helped rescue two dogs out of an abandoned pool, they would have drowned if left there.
Drowning is very natural, it happens naturally.”

* Not when god causes rain for 40 days and 40 nights. This indicates premeditation, which is the direct cause of drowning in the Biblical flood instance, which we are discussing.

Quote w:
“Adulation?!
Admiration or adoration, yes, but not adulation. And it's not that an omnipotent God *requires* admiration -- it to His creatures as a matter of course to bow down before the Infinitely Great. The question is only whether one will admit this, and how one will show this admiration.”

* What I am trying to get at is: Why would this god require – “Adulation”, “Adoration”, “Admiration” or any other “ion”? For what purpose, or to what avail? Does this god recharge his batteries this way? Does he sit there tittering away to himself as the adoration flows in? What is the benefit to this god?

Quote w:
“And this is where you are wrong. You are judging by *human* standards what "getting it right" is, not by God's. People tend to be very, very presumptuous about "getting it right".

* May I presume to agree and disagree with you here? Agree, people are presumptuous. Disagree that any of us could judge by gods standards. We can ever only judge from our human perspective. See how much time is wasted in the detail?

Quote w:
“This is self-victimizing thinking on your part, eager to find offense. I'm sorry, but it's true, and I know it very well as I used to think that way too.”

* Please explain this more clearly, I am not with you.

Quote w:
“Any person who says he has a full and correct understanding of God, or you, is dreadfully presumptuous.”

* Yes, I agree, this would be dreadfully and utterly presumptuous.

Quote w:
“And secondly, it is possible to correctly interpret something said in the Bible, but this by no way means a human can take God's power into his own hands. Albeit, many try.”

* How would you know if you are correctly interpreting? And yes, many have tried and are still trying, and are committing gross atrocities based on their interpretation.

Quote w:
“Conscience. It was said we are judged in accordance with our conscience. What about the conscience of the mentally incapacitated and newborns? Do they have the same kind of conscience like a normal adult?”

* Right. How then, as Jenyar said, can the gospel be heard in some way or another by everyone if some are mentally incapable of understanding?

Quote w:
“You display a thinking that says God is as judgmental and limited as humans.”

* In the Bible (OT) this is how he is portrayed. What is the problem? We are only discussing the Biblical god here. Not my idea of “god”.

Quote w:
“Not at all. You keep on having all that beef with God.”

* My beef is with the god as portrayed on the OT Bible. Please don’t confuse the matter. I have no beef with my understanding of “god” (for want of a better word).

Allcare.

Quote w:
"There is a reason why people find God cruel and wicked, and it has nothing to do with God."

* By Jove water, I think you`ve got it! Right. Don`t think of "god" in terms of the Bible and you are suddenly free.

tiassa said:
God has a habit of holding people accountable for His own choices.

Don't get me wrong; what I said earlier still applies:

The ultimate reality is the ultimate reality. Whether or not that ultimate reality depends on God's will to determine its status, we have reached the point where the only response is, "C'est la vie", or, "Que será será."
If by that you mean a laissez faire attitude, it's exactly the opposite conclusion we reach by faith. You may not like the way God acts, but that doesn't absolve your responsibility for your own actions. It's not a double standard, it's cooperation. If you see a double standard it's because you're standing on the other side of the fence. You're arguing from separation. You said God enforced this separation, but that's also a post-fruit argument. Man enforced that separation when they doubted God's word, when they were tempted into separating will from obedience.

But God undertook an inquiry as a wager, assigned Satan to test Job, and then conceded defeat when Job's repentance came after his faith had transformed to knowledge.

Job was dumbstruck because his faith was confirmed.

You have faith, as I understand it, Jenyar. If God appeared before you and lectured you on your mistakes, you wouldn't be particularly affected by the experience?
I have no illusions about my mistakes and sins. I've had my lectures, and it only strengthened my faith. I have come to trust God's judgment, because it is clear it mostly has little to do with mine.

Job's faith was rooted in knowledge. Of God's character. Of himself. So was God's faith in Job. The only one who doubted anything there was satan.

First, I wanted to note that we're treating the Old Testament in its own historical context here. That's important to me, personally, as a side issue. (The RSV is criticized heavily by evangelicals on that very point, but I'm actually pleased to see this in the present discussion.) What, for instance, does Christ say of faith and having nothing to repent? With the Old Testament in its own context, we cannot reject Job's innocence.
I'm glad you appreciate this as well.

Nonetheless, look at the sequence of events: Job repented after coming face-to-face with God. What would you say if God came down and lectured you to your face on your mistakes?
He didn't "repent", since he never turned away from God during it all. He simply went silent because even though his faith was justified, in the end it had nothing to do with who he was, and everything to do with who God was.

I admit, I'm nearly dumbstruck. You've made the chronological disagreement of Gen. 1 and 2 relevant.

Your citation notes: "meaning not any particular day, not the first day, in which the heavens and the earth were created; but referring to the whole time of the six days, in which everything in them, and relating to them, were made."

Very interesting, Jenyar. You wrote earlier, "Genesis 2 already gives the sense, when it recaps the entire creation account of Gen. 1 in one sentence". Do you still hold by that statement, since it only compounds the problem you've run up against?

Genesis 1

• Day 1: Light.
• Day 2: Water from water; under the firmament from above
• Day 3: Plants
• Day 6: Man

Genesis 2

• (v. 4 - 7) These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created. In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up--for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was no man to till the ground; but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground--then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.​

Genesis 2 the creation of Man on day two, instead of day six.

'Tis true, as your citation notes, it is not be day one. It is late on day two or early on day 3, according to Genesis 2. The period described in Genesis 2 only encompasses the whole six days of creation as a doctrinal insistence despite the Bible.
Seeds, at least, had already been created, since it is clear that all the land needed was water and someone to work it. Then the ground was watered - this is akin to "let the land produce vegetation" - but Eden already exists when Adam is formed, for in 2:8 he is placed in the garden. And lo, there we also find "all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air" (2:19) for Adam to name. How do you explain that?

Genesis 2 glosses over the details to focus on man and his place within creation. It describes Adam and Eve's creation separately, where it is a single act in Genesis 1.

Again, you're reading into the Bible what's not there in the text. Your cynicism (or faith, if you prefer) seems to be getting in the way of your understanding.

The "suggestion", which is pretty darn clear in the text, is that Satan informs Eve that no, the fruit won't kill her, and God only told her that because he didn't want to tell her the truth.

And this, more than anything, is where sin enters the world. The moment Eve considered the possibility that the serpent could be correct, she doubted God. The sin, the loss of innocence, is the collapse of complete and natural faith. It wasn't a faith we recognize much in online discussions, but is a childlike faith that comes from not knowing otherwise. Until the serpent, the only other beings Adam is known to have interacted with at a communicative level are God and Eve. In Eve's case it is less clear; she may only have interacted with Adam.°
I think you're the one reading into the text what it does not say. If it means to tell us God is responsible, why does it describe every party being responsible for his own actions, with God judging? Sin brings separation, and all through the Bible separation is described as nothing but death. Look up all the verses of being "cut off", being "set apart for destruction". In their case, the death was innocence, and though this might seem to you a small matter in retrospect, post-fall, it clearly wasn't to God. It was what He warned them against, but satan's calculated lie was aimed at a post-fall understanding of death. The definition you employ now to vindicate his action.

Their "childlike faith" was more than enough to understand God's warning, illustrated when Eve repeats it to the serpent after his question, "Did God really say you must not eat from any tree in the garden?" Is that really such an innocent mistake as you would have me believe? No further knowledge was necessary - they only had to be obedient to what they knew.

The "truth" God was keeping from them was the experience of separation itself: death. Now that death has become the definitive truth, everything else seems less true, less serious, and God's reaction less reasonable. But consider this for a moment: God was warning them against hell because of sin, like we've also been warned ("the wages of sin is death"). And the whisper is still: it's not true, God just doesn't want you to know the truth: you won't die, you'll be like Him: dead! Now suddenly it's not just about physical death anymore, and I assume your argument will follow suit: "of course not, death is all there is. That's a fact more certain than God." Now who's juding over Adam and Eve's fate? Over life and death? Truly, men have become like God in "wisdom, knowledge and judgment".

But we don't have God's authority, no matter how "obvious" it seems from this side of death. Knowledge or not, the feeling of autonomy seems to be just as tempting now as it was to Adam and Eve. At first they believed the "forbidden knowledge" that God was a liar, then they ate the "desireable fruit", making knowledge something external, something that pointed right back at them, exposing their shame. They also blamed God for the way things are, as if there's something inherently unfair about it. But they fell for the trick, and there's no excuse for it.

I know, you're saying there is. The excuse of relative ignorance, of God's responsibility for the way things are (and by that standard, it will never be good enough for us because it will never allow us to be God himself, to have his freedom).

I think you're just desperately splitting hairs. Let's look to the Bible, why don't we? Where does God make explain distinction to Adam and Eve? He does not.
Because there is no real distinction, not in God's eyes. All judgment is final at death. The possibility of a distinction was exploited by the serpent, when he made a post-fall consequence (which God called "death") seem a natural and desireable result, something God wished to keep from them: "wisdom" apart from God, wisdom in that separation - an afterlife. It wasn't curiosity that led Eve to take the fruit, it was desire, instigated by the serpent's "more than life, not less". His words were persuasive because they were desireable to believe, not because he had any authority.

If wisdom is death, then Adam and Eve were already dead inside and that's how God made it, anyway. The idea that this tragic string of godly errors is the only way God could do it is laughable. What, then, binds God? If this is the only way He could do it, what is the authority that limits His power?

If wisdom is not death, what about it leads to that "other" death? God's will, it seems.

Or am I mistaken to take God's instruction to Adam in Genesis 2.16-17 as instruction and not a threat? Was God meaning to say, "in the day that you eat of it I shall cause your death"?

There are directions to go in defense of traditional doctrine, but at best you're simply making the mistake of failing to recognize Eve's mental state before the fruit. When you say, "can only seem true to you if", you're looking at the situation from a post-fruit condition. In fact, that's a problem with most of how you're approaching the Fall in this discussion.
It was a warning, not a threat. It was instruction insofar it gave them what they needed to resist the temptation of eating it, or eating it out of ignorance. It was an integral part of the garden - the garden was grown around it - but it wasn't to be eaten from. It still seems desirable even today, because it represents something that God would not give - not because what it represents wouldn't be otherwise available through safe and God-ordained means, which is simply an assumption that supports a critical argument. Similarly, death in the pre-fall situation would have had all the meaning God could imbue it with. It would have meant nothing less God's own judgment. All we know from the context is that it represented an option Adam and Eve were not allowed to consider. It's not the fruit that brought death (it only brought condemning knowledge), but the sin. There was nothing wrong with anything, not the presence of serpent or even with the tree itself, except that listening to the serpent and seeking this fruit went against God's express will.

There is definitely nothing wrong with God having an express will, which is why your argument doesn't come across as very persuasive to me. It comes down to you not being content with the way things were, which is ironically also what Eve's act boils down to. I assume it seems positively repressing to you to live in a paradise where even one tree is forbidden.

That's one way of putting it, albeit not a very good one. As you note, you're presuming much that isn't written in the Bible: "But to me, the mere fact that a tree of life exists (which wasn't a forbidden tree before), and that Adam and Eve immediately realized their shameful state, suggests there was more to their life in Eden."
I'm willing to reassess anything that you deem outside the bounds of the text. However, the serpent's pure intentions and God's alleged deception also isn't written in the Bible - it contradicts the plain understanding of the text in my opinion. In my view we get a fundamental but limited perspective of the complete state of affairs from Genesis 2. I don't deny that I'm biased by the rest of the Bible, because I consider it relevant. The tree of life is mentioned again in Revelation:
Rev. 2:7 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

Rev. 22:2 On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.​
Adam and Eve lost the right to eat from the lifegiving tree when they ate from the forbidden tree (Gen. 3:22). They took what they had for granted, and desired what they weren't allowed to have. I don't think it's such a stretch to see how this prohibition relates to death.

Now you're getting it.
What I'm "getting" is that they rose above their place, and were humbled when God reminded them of who they were by revoking their priviledges to let them "work the ground from which he had been taken" (3:23). They were shamed when they took more than they were given - it was obviously an embarassment to have gained that knowledge, and we see no sign of the intellectual superiority and autonomy the serpent implied they would get (except if God is further taken out of the equation).

Let? Allowed? How about, "took proactive measures to ensure that they would return to dust"?

You wrote earlier, "Their exile is a statement of fact: 'He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.'"

I still don't get the basis of "statement of fact", but you also point to God's decision to ensure that Adam and Eve return to dust.
You're assume a motive I don't get from the text, like a kind of ancient conspiracy theory hidden between the lines. God wasn't using reverse psychology when He warned them of the consequences, secretly hoping they might take the bait left out by the serpent. The serpent was acting against God's wishes (hence the punishment), and so were they. It is represented as justice, whatever we think of it from our suspicious 20th century paradigm. They were created from dust, and anything more was a priviledge, not a right. Death is only unjust under God if life was deserved apart from God.

Well, maybe God shouldn't have lied in the first place. Maybe God shouldn't have been so afraid of a little knowledge. Rather than a progressive relationship, God chose one of master and servant. The separation is God's choice. After all, with God, all things are possible.
I might just as easily say, rather than a progressive relationship Adam and Eve opted for the coup d'etat, and thus the separation was their choice. When God had made His decision, man found himself in paradise and in a relationship with Him.

Did God suspend the final judgment - to be carried out after all avenues of mercy and rehabilitation have been exhausted - at the cost of letting the serpent seem justified among those who place their faith in him, or will the serpent ultimately get the credit he was due, when all things are taken into account at the final analysis? Whose faith will be vindicated? In the end I guess it comes down to how seriously you take your own argument. You did say "I believe that humans create gods and not vice-versa", but I hope your beliefs are based on something more substantial than mere antagonism.

Justice and mercy? Sounds mafioso to me. Dead men don't pay.
They don't pay people, no. But at death there are no variables anymore - one's life is complete, choices and all. This life is where everything plays out, this is where the calls are made.

There is a clear indication in the Bible that the only way to Redemption is through Christ.
Yes, and who better to give children the lives and justice they never had on earth! Children have more to worry about from their parents than from God.

God's design, God's will, God's fault.
Except when the abuse is of God's design, the rebellion against His will, and the fault with the ones He hold responsible.

What? God ordered Satan to test Job. It's in the freakin' Bible that way.

What if Satan refused? Told God, "No, I said your hand, not mine. Why won't you reach out your own hand?" What then? Satan as rebel all over again? Doctrinally, Satan can only lose because the doctrine is designed to maintain that notion.
It's in the Bible this way: God says, "And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason." Job is a very stylized account, which is why it's classified as wisdom material rather than revelation. But Job, at least, recognized what you will not concede:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."​

Really?

He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?"

The man said, "The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate."

Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent beguiled me, and I ate." (Gen. 3.11-13, RSV)

Where does Adam blame her?

There is a difference between telling someone what happened and blaming someone else for it. Eve, claiming the serpent beguiled her, is blaming someone else for it. Adam did not plead that he was deceived, he did not plead that he was tempted. She put the fruit before him and he ate.

You'll notice that God didn't say, "How, Eve, did the serpent beguile you?"
Neither did God ask, "How, Adam, did Eve beguile you?" But Adam makes a point of saying "The woman which thou gavest me..." So his argument is the same as yours: "God's design, God's will, God's fault", and you're certainly not simply pointing out what happened:

What happens as a result of God's will is God's fault.
What about what happens as a result of our will? Or as a result of Adam's will? What Jesus did was assume responsibility for man's sins, but God found him innocent of them by raising him from the dead. He had nothing to conceal (interesting fact: the etymology of "hell" is "to conceal; to cover"). We, on the other hand, only confirm Adam's sin in ourselves, by the same shameful reaction and denial of responsibility they showed when they tried to hide from God (Job refers to this in ch. 31:33), and even when we turn to Christ (Gal. 2:17) and live as God intended us to (to which the law refers). On the other hand, if we show that we have faith in God, want to live as He intended and wish to be forgiven, we will be reconciled with Him (Rom. 5:10; Col. 1:22).

Now, to reiterate again:

How you feel about that outcome is up to you. But if that's the way it is, that's the way it is, and there's nothing we can do about it. In the meantime, it doesn't honor God much to invent thick doctrine to suppress a truth that corrodes faith.
God's standard has been given, and sin is the refusal to meet it. We're not God, and the best intentions of having the same authority over people as He has only shows the ambition to be Him, not any altruistic need to do better than Him. The requirements in a hierarchy are hierarchically appropriate; they can only be double among equals. We are accountable according to our responsibilities. God lives up to His; we don't live up to ours. The sheep simply can't be the shepherd, no matter how much they think they can do it better, and it makes no sense to resent this. You can't do anything about God's responsibilities, but you can do a lot about your own, and that's what God holds you accountable for. If you struggle to meet those responsibilities, remember that you choose to do them without God, while He waits for his prodigal son to return. You're not powerless because God wants you to be, but because you're doing it alone.

Only lies corrode, and the true condition of life is exposed by death. Then we are stripped of all pretense, naked before God unless He clothed us himself.

Faith should be dynamic and alive, not a sculptured testament to the dead.
I agree completely. The difference is that you believe Job died, Jesus died and Noah died regardless of their faith or innocence before God. To me, it is a testament of life and hope, to you it's "the smell of death", as Paul puts it.

Last edited:
Back