Everyday anomalies

fluid, diaphanous bodies' is a common trait of all sorts of deep sea creatures, including jellyfish.

Irrelevant. The creature is neither fluid nor diaphanous. It's solid black.

That is not you say that you are are not welcome to take the word of anyone you want on a reality/docu-drama TV show.

Well its a matter of taking your word for it that it is a jellyfish or taking the scientists' word for it that it is an unknown creature and morphs from a flat black symbol which is exactly what the video shows. So yeah, I will go with what the video evidence shows. It's why it got aired on a nationally broadcasted TV show about strange phenomena in the first place.

Last edited:
Well this biologist saw a ctenophore, aka comb jelly, and wasn't baffled. Nor was Dave, it seems.

The "comb" refers to rows of cilia fused together like combs. Those cilia are transparent and constantly moving back and forth producing the light show by refracting light that lands on them. The matte black appearance was produced when it was in relative silhouette. As it approaches the rig's light, and reacts to the current jet, it begins to change orientation and the comb sparkles.
The devil's in the details as they say. Do comb jelly's morph from flat black symmetrical structures?

Here is a photo of a comb jellyfish. It doesn't look like what we see in the video at all:

oU6KMu7.jpeg

And here's a video of a bloodbelly comb. Still not solid black and lacking the distinctive flowing black "cape".

Last edited:
... science experts. They are all baffled by how it morphs from the flat black "symbol" to a black glowing creature.
Who is this "they" you speak of?
There are no scientists in that video. Right - you called them "science experts".

There is a "biologist" with no credentials and there is a "science journalist" with zero credited assocation with the expedition. For allthey've given us, one is as easily a student microbiologist intern at a town clinic and the other is a physics journalist in Uganda. Why did the producers feel that the credibilty of their guests was - at best, unimportant- and at-worst, damaging?

Between them these two are quoted as wondering:
"... is it an alien autonomous vehicle ..."
"... theres something almsot almost demonic about it..."
"... perhaps deploying some weapons system ..."
"... a gleaming metal frame..." (actually the narrator chimed in with his brilliant musings)

Are these the "experts" you speak of?

Funny, they didn't quote anything else from these two. Like anything even remotely to do with science.

I mean, we know ultimately it's a jellyfish. How could any "expert" think it's a vehicle, or something "demonic" or has a "weapons system" or has a "metal frame"?

Worse yet, since the TV producers presumably actually watched the video till the end, they knew it turns out to be a jellyfish. Ask yourself why they would spend all that footage quoting non-scientists overtly demonstrating their incompetence at recognizing a jellyfish?

Is it perhaps because that is much more entertaining than a straight-up biology documentary, with credentialed marine biology scientists saying "Here is a deep sea jellyfish. Fascinating creature!" Would that have you glued to the screen?

Irrelevant. The creature is neither fluid nor diaphanous. It's solid black.

1. These creatures are is so fluid that you can barely feel them. They have no bones, muscles or sinews. They are literally a bag of water with a smattering of soft bags-for-organs. They virtually disintegrate at a touch. Have you never encountered one?

2. Other than the hydraulics, they are largely very thin membranes around seawater. The consistency of a half inflated balloon. Quite diaphanous and extremely able to shift shapes. When pulled out of the water, they effectively melt into a membranous puddle because thy are incapable of holding their own structure except in the neutral buoyancy of the sea

3. It's black in the thick parts, but much of it is near- or entirely- transparent membrane. It is demonstrably not entirely black. So it was in hte fist few frames, so it is in the final frames.

Well its a matter of taking your word for it that it is a jellyfish or taking the scientists' word
Again, there are no scientists apparent in that video.

You'll note the producers did not bother with any credentials, and left out anything specific about their interests (I wouldn't presume they have scientific "fields"). Actual documentary show producers are responsible, and are are highly-motivated to provide that information. Credibility of the guests equals credibility of their show. Knowledgable people watch for that kind of thing. But the producers didn't provide that - and that should be a big red flag that they are not forth-right with the telling of their story. Incompetent guests makes for an incompetent show. But the doesn't mean it's not popular - with those who don't know - or care about - competence in their TV shows.

On the other hand, what we do have a very clear idea of - because we witness it first-hand - is that these two people are wildly incompetent at recognizing a jellyfish. Ask yourself why would the producers only be able get quotes from profoundly-incompetent people? They couldn't find a single actual scientist - or anyone from the expedition - to speak to them. Perhaps because no actual competent person would offer such wildly alluring sound bites?

for it that it is an unknown creature and morphs from a flat black symbol which is exactly what the video shows.
Objects in videos need to be interpreted by people who know how to do so. Most times it's trivially easy, like an apple. Sometimes it's harder, like a deep sea creature. Your "experts" saw vehicles and weapons and demons. Is that "exactly what the video shows"?

So yeah, I will go with what the video evidence shows.
And that is certainly your prerogative. No one is denying you the right to believe that a jellyfish is really a 2-dimensional demonic, metallic, alien vehicle with weapons.

As it is everyone else's prerogative to dig a little deeper than "I'll go with "it-looks-demonic-girl". And that's what we're doing.

It's why it got aired on a nationally broadcasted TV show about strange phenomena in the first place.
Right. Because TV shows aren't in the business of entertainment.

Last edited:
Jeez, now that would be a find! They're 500 million years extinct!

My sister is a biologist.
This is her work- one of the first ever visualizations of an anomalocaris for Stephen Jay Goulds' famous 'A Wonderful Life'
View attachment 6193
Work study as an undergrad, I removed matrix from fossils brought to Purdue by the lunatics that sought them out in Antarctica. That bugger wasn't in the pile I worked on, unfortunately.

Some sort of creature (Bigfoot?) captured on logging contractor's cellphone in 2015 in Alberta Canada tossing a tree like it was a toothpick!

Here's another video caught on a police crime scene camera of a Bigfoot throwing huge tree trunks around effortlessly. Don't mess with Sasquatch!

Last edited:
I can’t bring myself to remotely believe in BigFoot’s existence. It seems that if there was such a creature, why aren’t there lots of them by this point, from a reproduction perspective. Just seems odd that we’re (members of this forum) not spotting these at least a few times a year. For me, not even once. :confused:

I can’t bring myself to remotely believe in BigFoot’s existence. It seems that if there was such a creature, why aren’t there lots of them by this point, from a reproduction perspective. Just seems odd that we’re (members of this forum) not spotting these at least a few times a year. For me, not even once. :confused:
Quite. No authenticated bones, fur, faeces or footprints. Nothing.

But now that Bigfoot has become such a well-known myth, one does occasionally come across people in Bigfoot suits making videos for a laugh....

I find Bigfoot/Yeti/Saskatchewan far more plausible than ghosts and aliens.

We are encountering new species all the time that have been hiding right under our noses.

Cryptids require no new aspects of nature (such as other dimensions or alien critters) we don't already observe.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I actually do believe they exist - I still like extant evidence - simply that their implausibility factor is much much lower than more paranormal claims.

(Besides, I read Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead", and I know how recent are the extinctions of hominid cousins to H.sapiens)

Heh. This just showed up in my Google feed:
https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/sapiens-neanderthal-interbreeding/

Last edited:
I find Bigfoot/Yeti/Saskatchewan far more plausible than ghosts and aliens.

We are encountering new species all the time that have been hiding right under our noses.

Cryptids require no new aspects of nature (such as other dimensions or alien critters) we don't already observe.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I actually believe they exist, simply that their implausibilty factor is much much lower than more paranormal claims.

(Besides, I read Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead", and I know how recent are the extinctions of hominid cousins to H.sapiens)
You think Grendel may have been an atavistic tribal memory of a Neanderthal or something? That's a new one.

You think Grendel may have been an atavistic tribal memory of a Neanderthal or something? That's a new one.
I dont think that, no.

Simply that, forced to choose one of several broad paranormal choices such as
- cryptids, such as extant Neanderthals, and
- ghosts, such as videos of them wearing the costumes they died in
- aliens flying around in UFOs
I would put my money on the former.

(I should point out that, in Crichtons story, it wasn't a tribal memory, it was a living hominid.)

I should also reiterate that I do not actually suppose any of this. I am simply grading hypothetical paranormal things on an arbitrary scale of plausibility.

Ball lightning would book-end the scale at the 'highly plausible' end, being that it was once classified as paranormal and is now all but confirmed.

Heh. Thus just popped up in my Google feed:
"Around 28,000 years ago, give or take a millennium or two, the Neanderthals let out their last breath. The deathbed of our cousin species may have been Gibraltar."

Last edited:
I dont think that, no.

Simply that, forced to choose one of several broad paranormal choices such as
- cryptids, such as extant Neanderthals, and
- ghosts, such as videos of them wearing the costumes they died in
- aliens flying around in UFOs
I would put my money on the former.

(I should point out that, in Crichtons story, it wasn't a tribal memory, it was a living hominid.)

I should also reiterate that I do not actually suppose any of this. I am simply grading hypothetical paranormal things on an arbitrary scale of plausibility.

Ball lightning would book-end the scale at the 'highly plausible' end, being that it was once classified as paranormal and is now all but confirmed.

Heh. Thus just popped up in my Google feed:
"Around 28,000 years ago, give or take a millennium or two, the Neanderthals let out their last breath. The deathbed of our cousin species may have been Gibraltar."
So Google is reading your posts and/or my replies on this forum. Creepy or what?

But yes I would treat cryptids as more likely than aliens in spacecraft. Ghosts, on the other hand, I would rate as the least plausible of the three - and the only one that I would term paranormal.

Besides the fact that there have been roughly 4200 sightings of Bigfoot since 1921 in consistent geographical areas (source: https://www.cfholbert.com/blog/bigfoot-sightings/ ) and that it has and continues to be captured on video, as shown in the two posts above, there is the compelling evidence of the footprints and the analysis of them by expert scientists like Dr. Jeff Meldrum who is not afraid to go on record vouching for the existence of this creature. The true scientific approach is always the objective analysis of the evidence, not the outright dismissal of the phenomenon simply because you just personally find such too unbelievable, which is the fallacy of incredulity.

Wegs said: Just seems odd that we’re (members of this forum) not spotting these at least a few times a year. For me, not even once

How often do you go camping in the remote forests of the Pacific Northwest?

Last edited:
Back