Feeling colors

There is some speculation that Richard Feynman had synesthesia as he used to claim that mathematical equations evoked a sense of colour. He couldn't explain it, and he was at least conscious that other people didn't get the same feeling as he did.

That said, I don't think there's any reason to suspect a correlation between synesthesia and genius.

I read something about this a long time ago. I had heard that some people dont even know that they have it. Wouldnt that be odd to be able to taste color or feel sound and not know that it wasnt normal? But you would feel like it was normal, but it wouldnt be?

I have a very mild case of it, but as I said everyone has a bit. I just get feelings about thing. Probabally a flaw in whatever governs the asthetic sense.

Technically people who supposedly see "auras" have some form of synesthesia.

I found this forum by searching "feeling color" in google because I've just realized that synthesia is a condition and not everybody has it. it hadn't occured to me that not everybody associates color with everything.
I was wondering if the scrambled up signals in a synesthete's brain could account for things like seeing auras and stuff. and since there's such similarity between accounts of people seeing auras if that might not have some scientific credibility. like the discussion at the beginning of this forum about preceiving wavelengths in things that had color. maybe it's a sense like other senses just some people feel it more than others. like some people can hear the electric hum in tvs and others can't.

doing my homework

I'm doing a bit of research on this and I found the following from this guy's summary of a paper he wrote called
Synesthesia: Phenomenology And Neuropsychology
A Review of Current Knowledge

"Synesthetes are normal in the conventional sense. They appear bright, and hail from all walks of life. The impression that they are inherently "artistic" seems to me a sampling bias, given that famous synesthetes such as Valdimir Nabokov, Olivier Messiaen, David Hockney, and Alexander Scriabin are well-known because of their art rather than their synesthesia. Clinically, synesthetes seem mentally balanced. "
http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html

I think the only reason it might be associated with genius or artistic ability is that famous geniuses or artists may also have it.

oops

ok, wait a minute. his paper called
Synesthesia: Phenomenology And Neuropsychology
A Review of Current Knowledge

which apears to be a summary of his book called The Man Who Tasted Shapes

Back