Floods

Try reading the thread. All this has already been exhaustively discussed.
Nope, not really that interested, particularly when posted by someone with an obvious agenda....Just showing that any potential flood would be impetus for crazy YEC's and others to do what they do best....again.

Nope, not really that interested, particularly when posted by someone with an obvious agenda....Just showing that any potential flood would be impetus for crazy YEC's and others to do what they do best....again.
There was no agenda. It was, as it happens, a quite reasonable speculation about the Strait of Hormuz. (There was an attempt at one stage, by some people, to sidetrack the discussion into trying - quite irrelevantly - to smoke out Timojin's religious beliefs, but thankfully that failed to derail the thread.)

There has been a very good discussion about various flooding scenarios, to do with the sea level rise at the end of the ice age. In particular there was an interesting scenario involving the progressive flooding of the Persian Gulf, which I for one had not previously been aware of. So Timojin was onto something significant with his question.

An extreme rainfall event, as suggested without any real evidence by that shoddy arxiv paper you cited, occurs nowhere in these scenarios.

So just park your tedious prejudices for a moment and learn some science, can't you?

Could be. But the fact is that there are actually some tantalising bits of evidence for truly catastrophic floods. I can't find anything to support Timojin's conjecture about the Straits of Hormuz, but I certainly have read, not only of a catastrophic flood when the Black Sea connected to the Med, but also a theory that even the Straits of Dover might have been eroded suddenly, by a breakthrough of meltwater after the end of the Ice Age. (Not that I'm suggesting the latter might have led to a Middle Eastern flood myth, of course.) More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Dover
Mind you, this would have been too long ago for humanity to have preserved a memory of it, I think,
Again lines of evidence that god botherers quickly latch onto to validate their myths, just as some do with the BB.

:D There is always an agenda with timijon

I wouldn't really go on about prejudices my hypocritical friend. You know about people in glass houses?
This was, and is, a thread about geology, sea level changes and inundations. And a very good thread it has been.

Last edited:
Yes, another possibility found already....
Everyone now recognises that the epic of Gilgamesh was almost certainly the origin of the biblical flood myth. However that fact, although historically important, does not cast any light on what actual event - if any - inspired the myth.

That event, if there was one (several posters including Spidergoat take the view that there may not have been), is what the thread has been about. This is an Earth Sciences thread, originally about the formation of the Straits of Hormuz.

There has been a very good discussion about various flooding scenarios, to do with the sea level rise at the end of the ice age.
Although a background cause of sea level rise was assuredly involved, at least for some, the flood stories indicate something significantly more dramatic and unusual as a precipitating event. Sea level rise alone isn't fast enough to trap and drown entire populations of boat-builders and experienced shoreline dwellers.

Although a background cause of sea level rise was assuredly involved, at least for some, the flood stories indicate something significantly more dramatic and unusual as a precipitating event. Sea level rise alone isn't fast enough to trap and drown entire populations of boat-builders and experienced shoreline dwellers.
Yes, that's obviously the case. The whole business can only be conjecture and there is a spectrum of opinion, all the way from those who don't think any special event inspired it other than say the annual flooding in Mesopotamia, through those who think maybe a large progressive inundation could have inspired it, which was then embellished like a fisherman's tale, and finally to those who think there must have been something very sudden involving actual drowning and boat building. We simply don't have the archaeological evidence to discriminate between these alternatives, so far as I can see.

For me, the interesting thing is what we can say about actual ancient inundations. Which is what the OP was about.

Last edited:
Everyone now recognises that the epic of Gilgamesh was almost certainly the origin of the biblical flood myth. However that fact, although historically important, does not cast any light on what actual event - if any - inspired the myth.
Yes, along with other possible scenarios that has lead to the outrageous build up of the mythical Noah flood, gathering of two of every living thing'the 40 nights and days of deluge and the rest of the nonsense I'm pleased you do not support. Thanks for your eventual support. :rolleyes:

Regarding salt, my post 119 has a link to some dramatic pictures of "salt glaciers" in the Zagros mountains of Iran. These are salt deposits, left behind by evaporation of shallow parts of ancient oceans and incorporated into rock strata, now erupting at the surface in slow motion, from the rocks.

I would not describe fossils at the tops of mountains as being due to "volcanism". They are due to the tectonic activity that causes fold mountain belts to form - notably along convergent plate margins involving continental crust. Other forms of tectonic activity result in volcanism.

Okay , but mountains had to be created extremely fast though . I mean any sea creature would move to where it could survive . Fossils at the tops of mountains is a puzzle indeed .

timojin said:
Let me ask . Assume the globe was smooth no mountain , the surface was covered with one meter of water.
What would be your so called logical path to form dry land ?

......If there was liquid water at that stage, which there may well not have been, due to the higher temperatures......

See my post 183 for my understanding of the prevalent model for this.

That the lithosphere up lifted . From connvection currents , underneath the lithosphere .

By the way timojin , a smooth , even surface on any planet is simply not possible .

Okay , but mountains had to be created extremely fast though . I mean any sea creature would move to where it could survive . Fossils at the tops of mountains is a puzzle indeed .
The fossil just means that that rock used to be at the bottom of the ocean. It doesn't mean that that creature briefly lived on a mountain top.

The fossil just means that that rock used to be at the bottom of the ocean. It doesn't mean that that creature briefly lived on a mountain top.

True , to your last statement

Or a flood put these creatures there , not a biblical flood , but a flood caused by the shift of the lithosphere .

Or a flood put these creatures there , not a biblical flood , but a flood caused by the shift of the lithosphere .
Those creatures lived in the oceans, like we have oceans now, died in these oceans, and were fossilized after death at the bottoms of the oceans they lived in - a process still going on, with its various stages visible right now on the ocean bottom and related shore, etc.

What brought them to the tops of the mountains was the opposite of a flood. In a flood the water rises, in this case the land rose.

(the top of Mount Everest is rock made almost entirely of the shells and skeletons of fossil sea creatures, together with some of the mud and sand they fell into when they died)
wiki said:
The Qomolangma Formation, also known as the Jolmo Lungama Formation or the Everest Formation,[47] runs from the summit to the top of the Yellow Band, about 8,600 m (28,200 ft) above sea level. It consists of greyish to dark grey or white, parallel laminated and bedded, Ordovician limestone inter layered with subordinate beds of recrystallised dolomite with argillaceouslaminae and siltstone. Gansser first reported finding microscopic fragments of crinoids in this limestone.[48][49] Later petrographicanalysis of samples of the limestone from near the summit revealed them to be composed of carbonate pellets and finely fragmented remains of trilobites, crinoids, and ostracods.

Last edited:
Those creatures lived in the oceans, like we have oceans now, died in these oceans, and were fossilized after death at the bottoms of the oceans they lived in - a process still going on, with its various stages visible right now on the ocean bottom and related shore, etc.

What brought them to the tops of the mountains was the opposite of a flood. In a flood the water rises, in this case the land rose.

(the top of Mount Everest is rock made almost entirely of the shells and skeletons of fossil sea creatures, together with some of the mud and sand they fell into when they died) .

I understand your point . And somewhat agree .

But here's a question , sea salt must also be present , how much sea is present where the fossils are found ?

But here's a question , sea salt must also be present , how much sea is present where the fossils are found ?
In the rock on top of Mt Everest there is very little salt. It is made of the shells and skeletons of sea creatures, remember.

Salt is not a large component of the mineral compounds making up the skeletons and shells of sea creatures, any more than land creatures. It's easily dissolved in water, which would be a serious defect in a shell or skeleton of an animal that lived in the ocean.

Last edited:
Back