For the sake of Accuracy.!!!

Ah, I see what you are saying. (Although it would probably be fair to say that you will _never_ get a good reading until all the depressions communicate, due to poor averaging, splashing etc.)
Thank you. That word describes it perfectly. The depressions must communicate.

They must all be able to flow into one another so as to all have the same level.

Last edited:
That woud work but im goin wit cuttin off the irregular part an turn the bottle upside down... then it will be easy to read the water level even at 1/8" of rain… much like the cone shaped rain gauge pic i posted.!!!
Yup. Just remember, you've still got to calibrate it. Suggest my method with bottle A and B, above.

The accumulated water in each of the indentions woud be a level surface… but not necessarily wit each other… lol.!!!
That is in fact what I mean by level surface - all of them.

Not so much what i “want”… i was just pontin out that they woudnt fill at a even rate wit rain at an angle.!!!
You should not be taking angle of rain into account. Just ensure that, at the lowest rainfall you want to be able to measure, you must have the water surface all at one level.

You should not be taking angle of rain into account.

I didnt until i noticed it woud be problematic wit a bottle like the one in my original design which has seperate compartments in the bottom… because rain at an angle is specifically why the seperate compartments will not fill at equal rates... which will not allow for accurate mesurements in that lower area.!!!

My new an preferred upside down design eliminates that prollem... an will also make small measurements easier to read like the cone shaped rain gauge pic i posted.!!!

New Design:::
Use.gif

That will work nicely. :wink:
Thanks... im perty excited about it
XCTD.gif

Question; why not use a regular transparent cylinder rather than a coke bottle?
A flat bottom would eliminate any problem with uneveness of the structure.
1" = 1" from bottom.

Because what he has is a Coke bottle.
Then I would suggest that you permanently fill the bottle's indents until you have a flat bottom surface. Draw a line there and measure your inches up from there.

I'm sure, for sake of accuracy, one should start with a marked level surface and measure up from there.

No can do... my first job was scavengin cola bottles an due to bad memories i just cant go back to it
Nono.gif
Same here ,but only good memories (we also rolled downhill inside aircraft wheels,the bottles were thrown out of the windows of the air force base every weekend).

This should work for any bottle you have upside down or right side up...

Draw two lines measuring one inch on the accurate cylindrical portion of the bottle. Fill it up to the top line. Then pour out that inch of water into a new cup. Pour out the rest of the water. Pour the inch back into the bottle. Mark the meniscus as an inch...

Thanks to all the helpful people in this thred my dream of a accurate (to put it more scientifically... accurate wit-in a hair) home made rain gauge came true... an for that i give you some of the credit for my grate success.!!!

Sciforums-Orange-Rain-Gauge.jpg

Back