How old is the Earth?

Look it up, you dolt. You can find the answer in 30 secs on Wikipedia.
There's something about Saint's posts, that reminds me of the following:
A study by researchers at Brown University has found a quarter of posts about climate change on Twitter were written by bots.... ...These findings suggest a substantial impact of mechanized bots in amplifying denials messages about climate change," the authors of the reporter wrote, according to The Guardian
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285

How do scientists measure the age of the Earth?
1. Radioactive decay.
2. Stratigraphic superposition (i.e. looking at geological layers in rocks and considering the deposition time).
3. The fossil record.

How accurate is that answer?
It's accurate to within about 1%, or 45 million years.

How do scientists measure the age of the Earth?
How accurate is that answer?
I know my own age within 24 hours, if the government records are to be believed - and what is reality when compared to government records?

I know my age within 1 hour, if my mother can be believed (she was there) and if my memory of what she said many years ago can be trusted (it can't).

The age of the earth is not known with quite the same precision but it can be reproduced.

Perhaps?
Knowing the age of the oldest rock found on earth gives us knowledge of that rock, and not necessarily of the earth?

How old is the Earth?

Resurfacing processes removed the oldest, mundane rock deposits. But obstinate minerals like zircons have been radiometric dated up to 4.4 billion years old. The Moon's landscape is more pristine in terms of erosion and tectonic effects, so even common rock samples brought back by Apollo missions have measured 4.4 to 4.5 billion years. (Such is relevant because it is theorized that the Moon was created by the ejecta from a primordial collision between Earth and another large body, as the material gravitationally coalesced again.)

Interpretative claims about biological material residing in super-ancient zircon crystals have been made. If valid, that would have life present on Earth within less than a few hundred million years after the planet formed.

A recent study challenges the previous George W. Wetherill calculation that it took circa a hundred million years for the Earth to fully form. The new research reduces it to around five million years.

(Such is relevant because it is theorized that the Moon was created by the ejecta from a primordial collision between Earth and another large body, as the material gravitationally coalesced again.)
AFAIK, Theia is the name of the large body that had a (near) head-on collision with earth and sheared a large chunk from the earth that coalesced into the moon. Other hypothesized effect was the stabilization of the earth rotation and the introduction of water . IOW, Theia was one of the causal events responsible for the appearance of life on earth.

Collision Between Theia And Earth Brought Water To Our Planet
Thank the early Universe for Theia.
This Mars-size planet most people have never heard of is increasingly being credited by scientists with creating the Moon, and it is now being accepted as as the source of the life-sustaining water that makes all life on our planet possible.
And how did Theia accomplish these two historic events without which life on Earth would have been impossible? Theia collided with Gaia -- the ancient Earth -- some 4.5 billion years ago and was destroyed. Much of Earth's water originated from Theia, which was an ice encrusted planet.
In a recent study published in Nature Astronomy, planetologists at the University of Münster in Germany said the collision between Gaia and Theia triggered the formation of life on Gaia. It posits that large quantities of water were transferred from Theia onto Gaia by the unimaginably violent collision. This massive deluge of water thrown from Theia to Gaia formed the oceans that sustain many creatures today.
Theia had enormous deposits of water ice because it formed in the more frigid outer solar system rather than the much hotter and dry inner solar system.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/collision-between-theia-and-earth-brought-water-our-planet-435570

THEIA was the Titan goddess of sight (thea) and the shining ether of the bright, blue sky (aithre). ... Theia bore the Titan Hyperion three shining children--Helios the Sun, Eos the Dawn, and Selene the Moon.
So
The earth existed before the collision
?

THEIA was the Titan goddess of sight (thea) and the shining ether of the bright, blue sky (aithre). ... Theia bore the Titan Hyperion three shining children--Helios the Sun, Eos the Dawn, and Selene the Moon.
So
The earth existed before the collision
?
Yes, the Earth must have existed before joining with Theia. Apparently she died giving birth to the Moon (Luna?).

But I did read that they trace human skulls with carbon 14 and claim the prehistoric humans existed hundreds thousand years ago.

Back