How would the world be different if we never had religion?

Hostile said:
Being 16, you should be in history class.
I'm not 16, moron. Read my profile again. 2-25-90. I'm 15.
And, I am in history class, fucker. World Civ, bitch.

Hapsburg said:
I'm not 16, moron. Read my profile again. 2-25-90. I'm 15.
And, I am in history class, fucker. World Civ, bitch.

Sounds like you may need to be in English class. A 15 year old with no respect what so ever. Boy, I can tell you have nothing to offer society. :rolleyes:

Pimple faced 15 year old. Let me guess. You get made fun of in school, not many friends, nor athletic and probably spanks the monkey daily. Pretty close huh. The more you talk to girls, the eaiser it gets. ;)

Last edited:
Hostile said:
Sounds like you may need to be in English class. A 15 year old with no respect what so ever. Boy, I can tell you have nothing to offer society. :rolleyes:

Pimple faced 15 year old. Let me guess. You get made fun of in school, not many friends, nor athletic and probably spanks the monkey daily. Pretty close huh. The more you talk to girls, the eaiser it gets. ;)
not really. More closer to the middle of the spectrum.
And why the fuck should I respect anyone, if they are of no use or benefit to me?
I respect some people on this forum because they are befeficial to my arguements. Those that aren't beneficial, such as lawdog or jadon, are look on with contempt, hatred, and eventually flat-out blatant insult. It is the way things work.
If you are useless to me, I won't respect you, as there is no point. Simple as friggin' that.

Last edited:
MarcAC said:
Hmmm... well thought out replies I notice... [hint hint]

Let me see if I can add my bit...

Relgion appears to have developed with man's appreciation of that which is greater than he and his aspiration to better himself through such appreciation.

Most likely we'd still be swinging through trees in Africa if things didn't go along the religious path.

To be human is to be religious.

God was created by man to explain the unexplainable. As this notion grew, the scale and the importance of God grew. Then people began to realize that they didn't need some father figure in the sky to explain things, that all we needed were our thoughts. This is why the concept of God is dying. WE will continue to move forward until God is dead, and when God dies, we will all prosper.

To be human is not to be religious. To be human is to have the ability for rational thought. With rational thought comes the demise of God. See how nicely it works?

altec said:
God was created by man to explain the unexplainable.
I'd say God is being revealed to man by way of some things that are beyond a scientific or rational explanation.
As this notion grew, the scale and the importance of God grew. Then people began to realize that they didn't need some father figure in the sky to explain things, that all we needed were our thoughts.
Nice hypothesis; how'd you come by it anyway?
This is why the concept of God is dying. WE will continue to move forward until God is dead, and when God dies, we will all prosper.
Why do you say God is dying?
To be human is not to be religious. To be human is to have the ability for rational thought. With rational thought comes the demise of God. See how nicely it works?
If that was all that defines a human IBM's Deep Blue would be human - not even dictionaries are that cold. Why do you say that?

MarcAC said:
I'd say God is being revealed to man by way of some things that are beyond a scientific or rational explanation.

How is God being revealed to us through things that cannot YET be explained. It seems to me that if God wanted to use this tactic all he would have to do is reveal himself, and explain this shit to us. Why wait till we figure it out on our own (and I guarantee you that we will).

MarcAC said:
Nice hypothesis; how'd you come by it anyway?

Common sense actually. Why else would religion play such a role in societies? To explain what cannot be explained through our senses.

MarcAC said:
Why do you say God is dying?

I should have been more specific: God is dead. The conception of God is dying.

=MarcAC]If that was all that defines a human IBM's Deep Blue would be human - not even dictionaries are that cold. Why do you say that?

What is it that defines a human then. What makes us different than any animal on the planet? Rational thought.

:m:

Your statement would assume man has been created not to think rationally to somehow understand what god is trying to reveal from irrational means.

Don't you think your god would make much better progress by simply revealing whatever he has to reveal in a rational manner, perhaps even using science?

At the very least, it would allow theists to actually agree with each other.

(Q) said:

Your statement would assume man has been created not to think rationally to somehow understand what god is trying to reveal from irrational means.

Don't you think your god would make much better progress by simply revealing whatever he has to reveal in a rational manner, perhaps even using science?

At the very least, it would allow theists to actually agree with each other.
Dear Q

I think God's revelation has less to do with thought and more to do with knnowledge. Knowledge facilitates thought and vice versa. How do we come by knowledge? Many answers I assume - examine the ways that we may come about knowledge and then you may have an idea of how God reveals himself to man through irrational means thus he may understand His way.

Perhaps even using science... :) Well... God's revealed way must be as timeless and constant as Himself. Brother, a brief examination of science through history will reveal that it's anything but constant. However, the theistic man has at times laid claim upon scientific evidence which points toward the existence of God in his eyes. Of course, like any evidence it may be freely accepted or rejected as such.

Agree with each other... :) Like the myriad of competing scientific theories which abound within every field of science? Agree with each other like scientists agree with each other? Somewhat like the agreement upon what exactly defines a planet right? Yeah...

Have a good one

altec said:
How is God being revealed to us through things that cannot YET be explained. It seems to me that if God wanted to use this tactic all he would have to do is reveal himself, and explain this shit to us. Why wait till we figure it out on our own (and I guarantee you that we will).
Such faith in the way of rational enquiry. Some things such as: an uncaused universe in which the law of causality rules; an undirected universe in which we recognise direction; a moral humanity with no moral foundations - morality is not built upon rationale.
Common sense actually. Why else would religion play such a role in societies? To explain what cannot be explained through our senses.
My problem with your theory is that science does a pretty good job at correlating with observation yet it is no substitute for religion. Science has no "why" for mankind just "how". Man is a personal being, he needs more than science which aims to be impersonal - man needs God.
I should have been more specific: God is dead. The conception of God is dying.
How do you come about that notion? When was God alive? You notice the so called battle between the I.D.ists and Evolutionists in the U.S. science education system? God is far from dead brother.
What is it that defines a human then. What makes us different than any animal on the planet? Rational thought.
So you have addressed an aspect of humanity which separates us to an extent from the rest of the animal tree. The awareness of God and the conception of the role He plays within our lives is another big one too. Love is another one along with the ability aspire for better - see God and be what He wants you to be.

Why do we need to know why? (A potential thread there perhaps but probably already posted in the philosophy section?).

We think because our brains allows us to think. The human brain, I understand, is the most complex machine in the known universe. Wow and we all own one! I believe it has evolved as a result of changes brought about by necessity. The need to see, hear and above all to communicate through language. All so that our ancesters, not exactly the most physically powerful or speediest of creatures, could survive in a pretty dangerous world. However, as with any evolved trait the lesson is to use it or lose it...
with our marvellously developing brains helping us to solve complex survival conundrums we didn't really need tails to swing around the trees in.

Was god invented to help explain what couldn't be explained by our evolving brains or controlled by our increasing command of the resources around us?

Science, although yes there are disagreements and competing theories about almost all things, is helping to make sense of the world around us. If we keep thinking about things and looking for solutions we might one day evolve brains complex enough to solve the eternal question or invent something that can do it for us.

Or something out there allowed it all to happen and we don't know what the heck it is yet but we call it god because that's all we can come up with at the moment. The truth is out there! We just need to think it through. :p

I think God's revelation has less to do with thought and more to do with knnowledge. Knowledge facilitates thought and vice versa. How do we come by knowledge?

You still didn't answer the question, just side-stepped it. Blowing smoke.

However, the theistic man has at times laid claim upon scientific evidence which points toward the existence of God in his eyes.

Oh yes, the scientific community simply cannot explain the mountains of hard evidence in favor of gods - they must eventually accept overwhelmingly that gods exist, but they just can't seem to turn their brains off.

Like the myriad of competing scientific theories which abound within every field of science?

Yes, the scientific community is flooded in chaos, absolutely nothing gets resolved. No progress whatsoever.

Agree with each other like scientists agree with each other?

Yes, they war with each other over their disagreements.

Somewhat like the agreement upon what exactly defines a planet right?

Yes, the Planetoidian camp and the Non-planetoidian camp will conduct an international tiddly-winks competition to finally settle that dilemma.

Thanks for the irrational responses, it fits your claim to a tee that 'thought' (thinking) has nothing to do with religion. You will resort to the most asinine nonsense to make a point, regardless of how utterly ridiculous. Bravo!

I had expected much more from you.

(Q) said:
I had expected much more from you.
I didn't expect much more of a response from you at all - I'm sure when you attempt to find answers to the questions then you may muster something more.

Science is my tool and nothing more. I'm no friend to science.

I think without religion everything would be basically the same, wars would still be fought under different circumstances, there would still be good natured and bad natured people, however the main difference would be that science would excel faster, and science would be like religion.

alexb123 said:
What are your thoughts? I find this an interesting question but also a very diffculty one to answer.

*I have already posted this on the Sci/Society forum I am sorry if I am breaking any rules by re-post this, but I didn't know this forum was here*

It seems that in history, socially accepted religion had a way to keep people's morals focused and kept morals from straying too much. Specifically, Rome is what comes to mind. Before Christianity came to Rome, everyone believed in some god or gods. Which was more abused than used, I think, by spiritual leaders.

If there were no religion, but just logic and morality, why would it not be moral to loot a store when the city goes underwater? Sure, it is against the law to steal publicly, but religion has the potential to keep people's morals beyond big brother can see, behind closed doors, where there is no law. It is only against the law to murder if you are caught. Religion has the potential of a better system of morality than public, socially approved laws.

Religion just puts the policeman inside you. Self preservation is a logical course of action. When you have lost everything, taking something makes sense. Government officials are allowed to do this in emergencies, and it's no different when the citizens do it.

Hapsburg said:
not really. More closer to the middle of the spectrum.
And why the fuck should I respect anyone, if they are of no use or benefit to me?
I respect some people on this forum because they are befeficial to my arguements. Those that aren't beneficial, such as lawdog or jadon, are look on with contempt, hatred, and eventually flat-out blatant insult. It is the way things work.
If you are useless to me, I won't respect you, as there is no point. Simple as friggin' that.

Case and point of why we need religion. "Why should I respect anyone, if they are of no use or benefit to me?" Wake up, the world is bigger than you and you have little control of what the world does to you. We all can stand to benefit from each other, so due respect should be given to all idiots and friends. The teacher always benefits as much, or more than, the student.

The least of this world have more to teach us than the greatest because of their experience. You lack perception and wisdom, even as you are intelligent. It will come with age and experience, fortunately for you.

Imperfectionist said:
Religion just puts the policeman inside you. Self preservation is a logical course of action. When you have lost everything, taking something makes sense. Government officials are allowed to do this in emergencies, and it's no different when the citizens do it.

Right, and that policeman is beneficial to a civilized society. So, in answer to the question at hand: I don't want to think about it, nor would I wish to dwell in a land without a religion that promotes personal freedom and equal rights.

I think it should be possible to have morality without religion. A framework of government that is a social contract among persons without a diety affilation.

candy said:
I think it should be possible to have morality without religion. A framework of government that is a social contract among persons without a diety affilation.

Sure, it is possible. The United States is one example of a civilized society without an adopted religion. And yet, with all the morals we enforce with laws, courts, and jails we still have people doing immoral things behind closed doors. To each his own, I say. But, that leaves the door wide open to many socially unacceptable behavior, such as murder or pilfering. We can see this in New Orleans today. If you think the looters are all that different from you and me, you really need to get off your horse and do a reality check. We all carry skeletons in our closets. (Some quite literally I suppose).

Besides that, if they had religion, would they still have done the deed in New Orleans? Does that mean we want Big Brother looking in on us at home? No, indeed not! So, the best alternative is a system of ethics which underlies the laws. How else do you tell the populace, "Don't do this in your home, or else you'll get in trouble," without infringing on the right to privacy?

Problem is, that there are many people who are incapable of getting past the evidence of God problem in the United States.

Religion is an attempt to control the populace to conform to socially accepted norms and is beneficial to society.

Back