Iraqi Shias protest against US troops

samcdkey said:
After the end of the war, the demilitarization of the Japanese armed forces was carried out with extreme speed. On October 16, 1945, MacArthur announced in a statement that "Today the Japanese Armed Forces throughout Japan completed their demobilization and ceased to exist as such." The dismantling of the Japanese armed forces, the fact that there no longer existed any armed forces, greatly influenced the arguments for changing the Meiji Constitution's military provisions.
i fail to see the point sam.

when you lose you surrender.

iraq seems to say otherwise sam.

edit:
and why didn't they return to their former lifestyle after 1962?

Iraq is not disarmed; quite the reverse. And they want the US out.

Also, they have oil. And they know the US will not leave. The 10-12 military installations and the mega-embassy tells them that.

As for the Japanese, keep a watch on them.

They've been arming themselves since some time now.
By the mid-1970s, memories of World War II had faded, and a growing number of people believed that Japan's military and diplomatic roles should reflect its rapidly growing economic strength. At the same time, United States-Soviet strategic contention in the area around Japan had increased. In 1976 Defense Agency director general Sakata Michita called upon the cabinet to adopt the National Defense Program Outline to improve the quality of the armed forces and more clearly define their strictly defensive role. For this program to gain acceptance, Sakata had to agree to a ceiling on military expenditures of 1 % of the gross national product (GNP) and a prohibition on exporting weapons and military technology. The outline was adopted by the cabinet and, according to public opinion polls, was approved by approximately 60 % of the people. Throughout the remainder of the 1970s and into the 1980s, the quality of the SDF improved and public approval of the improved forces went up.

Compare it to South Korea, for instance:
http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries_comparison.asp

I especially find their gold reserves very interesting.

Last edited:
no, not like syria is training iraqis insurgents.

More hype.

The militia knows the best free training is available simply by joining the Iraqi army. Why do you think that after the training only 50% of the Iraqi troops stick around?:rolleyes:

More hype.
really?

Syria’s involvement in facilitating the Iraqi insurgency has been apparent for some time. Recent intelligence indicates al Qaeda in Iraq has conducted a meeting within Syrian territory. U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has accused Syria of "allowing its territory to be used to organize terrorist attacks against innocent Iraqis." Syria responded by severing military and intelligence ties with the United States and claiming that they have arrested or deported over 1,200 jihadis who were attempting to enter Iraq. The United States is just ungrateful for the efforts, according to the Syrian government. The situation along the Syrian-Iraqi border has gotten so bad there are rumors that a buffer zone will be created to seal the border.

http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/006982.php

really?

Syria’s involvement in facilitating the Iraqi insurgency has been apparent for some time. Recent intelligence indicates al Qaeda in Iraq has conducted a meeting within Syrian territory. U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has accused Syria of "allowing its territory to be used to organize terrorist attacks against innocent Iraqis." Syria responded by severing military and intelligence ties with the United States and claiming that they have arrested or deported over 1,200 jihadis who were attempting to enter Iraq. The United States is just ungrateful for the efforts, according to the Syrian government. The situation along the Syrian-Iraqi border has gotten so bad there are rumors that a buffer zone will be created to seal the border.

http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/006982.php

Same "intelligence" thats looking for OBL and WMDs?

American BS pie. They are the ones responsible for invading the "innocent Iraqis", and they can't even be bothered with body counts.

Germany, Japan, South Korea, to name a few.
You obviously don't get out much! I have never in my life met a German or a Japanese or a South Korean that are happy to have USA military bases in their country. And they are not even occupied!

Also, Germany and Japan were very very successful nations before their defeat and occupation not as result of it!!!

Michael

"The Australians came up with the best plan. It was basis was this: There were to be no absentee landlards. A person who actually worked the land could own up to 7.5 arcers. Anyone living in a village near by could keep 2.5 acres. Larger plots of land, exceeding these limits, were bought up by the government and sold on easy terms to former tenants. Within two years 2 million tenants became landowners."

Just something I always find interesting. God forbid we ever think of doing such a thing in America. I mean, geesh - could you imagine affordable housing in New York??? How unfair to the property owners!

Anyway, I would also say a couple more things about Germany and Japan in IMHO in relations to Iraq.

1) Germans and Japanese were a united people with a long history. Iraq, while having a long Assyrian then Persian then Greek then Arab then Ottoman and then European History, are not a united people known as "Iraqis". Although Saddam was trying to install a bit of Nationalism it would obviously take a little longer and perhaps a bit more intelligent a man with better means to accomplish this.

2) Germans and Japanese work hard - Iraqis complain and whine a lot and while they pray real hard they're not known as hard workers. One puts food on the table and roofs overhead, the other doesn't. Without food and roofs democracy is a pipe-dream.

3) Germans and Japan were Industrial nations and we moving towards a Parliamentary system pre-WWII.

4) Germany and Japan were "legitimate" wars. When they were bombed they were bombed flat. When they were defeated it was utterly so. Only then could they be made into any imagine so desired - because there was no will left to fight on any longer. The Iraq War is about trying to steal their oil. We know it and they know it. As the American Public, bless their souls, still believes in good old "freedom" they will not sit ideally by and condone the years of firebombing + millions of dead mothers, fathers and children required to attain such subservience.

To compare Germany and Japan to Iraq is like comparing Roma and Athens to Wacko Texas. Yeah, people live their, that's about where the similarity ends.

:)
Michael

Last edited:
Well actually the US pumped a fair bit of money into those nations. They had no need to do so: they could have left them as near-ruined buffer states or fascist dictatorships. I don't really know how "successful" S Korea was prior, or on what benchmark.

Sam said:
I especially find their gold reserves very interesting.

What, are you going to build a giant "la-zer" on the moon and ransom them for a miiiiiiilion dollars or something?

michael said:
Just something I always find interesting. God forbid we ever think of doing such a thing in America.
We did, originally. It was easier because we had a frontier, but the western Homesteading and before that the unilateral revocation and breakup of huge land grants on the Appalachian frontier worked in much the same way.

ON TOPIC: i thought that all the people were gathering because there was some kind of pigrimage.before poor people couldnt participate because saddam decreed that no one could complete the pigrimage on foot.is someone taking advantage of this to make this gathering into something it isnt?

You obviously don't get out much! I have never in my life met a German or a Japanese or a South Korean that are happy to have USA military bases in their country. And they are not even occupied!

You're talking to people who get all their information from the US media (or faux news, if you will) not real people.:rolleyes:

Back