Is a fragment of Infinity Finite?

Imho, the universe is infinite the critical density appears just right for the

universe to be open. :) Peace Amp

i guess i dont like something representing infinity that you can view in its entirety...

think of it this way

circle - point < circle

line - (point, or line segment) = line

So if we're saying that the universe is infinite, then there's your answer.

You can take any portion of the universe and that portion, whether it be a tract of space, a stellar system, a galaxy, whatever.

All of these entities are finite. Finite component, infinite whole.

yes ok i agree

my problem was with a circle representing infinity, not the answer to the question

as far as 'is a fragment of infinity finite?' goes

the answer is an obvious 'yes'
what is a 'fragment'? is it measurable? in order to choose a particular fragment, it must be measureable. if its measurable, its finite.

ie: to choose a part of a line, you must specify two points on it. two points give a measurable distance and the line segment is therefore (obviously) finite.

I thought that we were arguing about the example and not the premise!

Sweet.

Are you any good at riddles?
Why not visit free thoughts 'A Riddle'.

Bye :)

i said this before->

if we exclude the end points of the line then its measure becomes indefinite though its still a line.:) Peace Amp

Of course.

But if we exclude the terminations to the point where the line was infinite, would it then become a circle?

Are you any good at riddles?
Why not visit free thoughts 'A Riddle'.

huh?

EDIT : Oh, i see a thread on the board. you should say Free Thoughts->A Riddle, or something. or maybe say 'the thread'

Last edited:
No ESP, its still a line, no curvature, and

its still indefinite. I'm curious about the hypersphere being a represention of the universe. Any thoughts?S/B a new thread though. :cool: Peace Amp

Back