Is Polygamy right or wrong?

NO. Morality should be used as a tool for mutual benefit: "You don't steal from me, I don't steal from you."
However, with the arrival of Judeo-Christianity, it became a slavish code of action. We can't kill people in a vegetable state because it's 'morally wrong'. We can't use eugenics to improve health and intelligence, because it is morally wrong. Centuries ago, it was morally wrong to say that the earth revolves around the sun. It is morally wrong to spread the truth about the world, because it might hurt other people's feelings. It's morally wrong to gang up on a pedophile and beat the shit out of them. It's morally wrong to smack your kid for acting like a wigger.
You see what I mean?

Originally posted by and2000x
However, with the arrival of Judeo-Christianity, it became a slavish code of action...

Ha! Old good Nietzsche again! I can see his philosophy is quite popular here.:) But yes - hypocrite morality is used as a handy tool to control people. But Judeo-Christianity is not the only culture with this kind of morality. Unfortunately, we can see it everywhere – the pure, noble morality is very rare.

forget all this religious standpoint bs...

I think the reason why our society will only let men marry only one women, and women only marry one man comes from a more scientific and biological aspect. Just think about it, if everyone married more than one person, maybe two or three per person and generation on, than our country in time will all be related and it will be so hard for someone to find a spouse of different blood that has no family relations. I mean, whatchu think?

Re: forget all this religious standpoint bs...

Originally posted by Jussme Just think about it, if everyone married more than one person, maybe two or three per person and generation on, than our country in time will all be related and it will be so hard for someone to find a spouse of different blood that has no family relations. [/B]

I think it's bullshit. How many men have children with more than one woman today? How many men only think all children born to their lawful wifes are realy theirs? So making polygamy/polyandry legal would not change much.

forget all this religious standpoint bs...

F#ck watchu think Raha. Whatchu said was bs, balogney whatever it is. your opinion,Its not thought out and very stupid.
C'mon, Really? Are you saying, are you telling me that about a majority of men already have kids from multiple women? For real? No. I think not, that idea is stupid. Yet there are men with more than one kid (but nowhere near the majority.) C'mon, that wasnt hard to figure out. Think right.

Now, if our country allowed polygamy than in time about 100 percent of men will have more than 1 wife, maybe 2 or 3 or more. Men/ women in general nature are greedy folk. N in time the country will be all related no doubt. When i say time, I dont meant 50 or 60 years, i mean longer.

Time and polygamy would have this country marrying someone of the same blood with a century er so...whatchu think?

You know, if enough people did it and kept demanding for their right to do it, eventually it could become legal.

200 years ago, no woman thought she'd ever have the vote, no homosexual ever thought he'd be able to marry a man or be openly gay, no black slave in America ever thought they'd be free men equal to their masters... people will always get what they want, if they want it badly enough. Thing is, are there actually enough people that want to do it?

Society is always in transition.

Originally posted by Jussme
Now, if our country allowed polygamy than in time about 100 percent of men will have more than 1 wife, maybe 2 or 3 or more.

How do you know that? Although it is possible that most man would want more than one wife, are you sure most women would agree to share one man?
Also - I did not say MAJORITY of man have children with more than one woman. But this phenomena is nothing rare also - just look at the divorce rate. The same thing applies to women having children with more than one man.

That's true, most men would have more than one wife, and in time it will become more and more accepting to have more than one wife, to the point where everyone will have more than one wife, no kiddin. About women on the other hand, may have more than one husband too, since the upcoming of women from the past demand as much rights as males have.

I know that women have kids from different men but the percentile is very low compared to women that do have kids from the same spouse. Now if there was polygamy than the percentile would jump greatly. And then the women that share the same man will produce kids of same blood.

Now then population will have more and more in common other than being neighbors, they'll have the same blood too.

That's why we dont have polygamy here.

Seems I made my big "humans were designed for polygamy" speach in the wrong thread:(
Its in faf's moral responsibility thread if you're interested, and you should be because it rocks:cool:

Apart from religious pressure against it, the main reason governments can't contemplate polygamy or polyandry is that it would make their job more complicated and possibly create another way of defrauding the system.

There are different tax allowances and concessions between married and single persons and that's where the issue is likely to get complicated. There is also the question of status, family name etc etc. Therefore, before they could even begin to contemplate legalising it, many questions would need to be addressed and clarified, such as, how many partners can one marry? Do all the partners have to be of the same sex or can you mix? Who gets custody of the children after a divorce? Will the divorce count for the remaining partners also? What if a man's 3 wives divorced him at the same time and took their 12 children with them; how on earth would he be able to maintain them, if he wasn't just too damn' rich in the 1st place? And there must be many many more such questions. All in all, far too complicated to consider, especially as the demand is hardly up to it.

Back