on God: The modernist's real problem.

lightgigantic,

There are two main points you misunderstand beside that which Cris is addressing.

The first is chance or what you are referring to as random occurrence. It is quite evident that the Universe operates according to certain principles (the fundamental laws and forces of physics) . This is not in dispute. That you seem to think atheists should expect the Universe to behave chaotically is not at all the point of chance either as it applies to Evolutionary theory, natural law, or the lack of belief in a creator/designer.

The second is the concept of design. Complexity does not suggest design, a snowflake is a complex structure yet it forms without a creator as the result of natural forces. There are natural caverns whose form and pattern are far more complex than any sane civil engineer ever conceived. What suggests design is whether something stands apart from natural order. A house suggests design, not because of its complexity but because trees don't fall apart into lumber and stack themselves into piles resembling dwellings. It is a formation that is not natural.

~Raithere

Raithere said:
lightgigantic,

There are two main points you misunderstand beside that which Cris is addressing.

The first is chance or what you are referring to as random occurrence.

I don't call it random - those who accept a view of an impersonal universe do

Raithere said:
It is quite evident that the Universe operates according to certain principles (the fundamental laws and forces of physics) . This is not in dispute. That you seem to think atheists should expect the Universe to behave chaotically is not at all the point of chance either as it applies to Evolutionary theory, natural law, or the lack of belief in a creator/designer.

I am not sure what you are saying - if there is no intelligence there is chaos - if there is no chaos there must be intelligence - the logic is that you can detect the presence of an object (inthis case intelligence) by its symptoms - randomness also has it symptoms too, that declar eits presence.

Raithere said:
The second is the concept of design. Complexity does not suggest design, a snowflake is a complex structure yet it forms without a creator as the result of natural forces.

- Natural force is just as far as your intelligence allows you to travel down the path of cause and effect - but by deduction you can extrapolilate a further cause - for instance where is there the example of a force or energy without an energetic source - in other words where is the question of law without law maker

Raithere said:
There are natural caverns whose form and pattern are far more complex than any sane civil engineer ever conceived. What suggests design is whether something stands apart from natural order.

"Natural order" is just our inductive experience of a limited sphere - I think you would be hard pressed to determine the parameters of "natural order"
- or rather science's comprehesion of the parameters of natural order is constantly being revised. You could provide the parameters but they would become obsolete because it is not an absolute definition

Raithere said:
A house suggests design, not because of its complexity but because trees don't fall apart into lumber and stack themselves into piles resembling dwellings. It is a formation that is not natural.

Well why not, if sentience is not a contributing factor to "natural order"

thank you light, thank you very much, thank you for making me laugh, I was feeling a little down and you put a smile on my face, I really appreciate your humourous posts.
keep up the good work.
all hail lightgigantic, the best comedian on the internet, nay! the world.

No problems preacher guy ....

I guess its a common phenomena for people to eventually tire of gross materialism and the feeble rewards of the material body that causes them to seek out spiritual topics as a source of rejuvenating their otherwise uneventful lives of predictable consequence

yeh you hit the nail on the head, theres nothing more funny than a theist, trying to explain his religious basis with logic.

and nothing more pointless than an atheist trying to dislodge that with bravado and complete lack of any constructive contributions .....

lightgigantic said:
and nothing more pointless than an atheist trying to dislodge that with bravado and complete lack of any constructive contributions .....

What, constructive as in quoting from the Bible and passing it off as proof?
Try reading these instead:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0753819961/202-6292885-5831848?v=glance&n=266239
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141026162/202-6292885-5831848?v=glance&n=266239
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0812976568/202-6292885-5831848?v=glance&n=266239

wsionynw said:

They weren't particularly informative links :confused:

I don't think I have quoted the bible either :confused:

Actually my previous comment was directed at preacher guy and not yourself wsion - even though you may be possessed of the same sentiment as preacher you at least have a higher success rate for presenting something that is constructive

lightgigantic said:
I don't call it random - those who accept a view of an impersonal universe do
No, we don't. As I already explained.

I am not sure what you are saying - if there is no intelligence there is chaos - if there is no chaos there must be intelligence -
There are two main problems here. One is that you're presenting a false dilemma here which is a logical fallacy. Two, there is no such thing as true chaos above a quantum level. If you wish to assume that order must come from intelligence that is fine... but recognize it as an assumption because there is no empirical or logical foundation for such a supposition.

the logic is that you can detect the presence of an object (in this case intelligence) by its symptoms - randomness also has it symptoms too, that declare its presence.
First you need to be able to identify and measure such effects or "symptoms". Order does not suffice as it is embedded in the very fabric of the Universe.

Natural force is just as far as your intelligence allows you to travel down the path of cause and effect - but by deduction you can extrapolilate a further cause - for instance where is there the example of a force or energy without an energetic source - in other words where is the question of law without law maker
All this line of reasoning does is place you in an infinite regression. The traditional theistic excuse is to arbitrarily exempt the creator from the demands of the line of query. But once again the argument is logically unfounded.

"Natural order" is just our inductive experience of a limited sphere - I think you would be hard pressed to determine the parameters of "natural order"
- or rather science's comprehesion of the parameters of natural order is constantly being revised. You could provide the parameters but they would become obsolete because it is not an absolute definition
I don't concern myself with absolutes because they don't exist except under the artifice of assumed boundary conditions. I find that the need for absolutes is a typically theistic affliction. Even in those who are technically atheistic, such a need drives religious like belief and behavior. The irony is that theists attempt to derive absolutes from a force that is, by most definitions, infinite in scope and thus irresolvable.

Well why not, if sentience is not a contributing factor to "natural order"
Because that's not how trees are.

~Raithere

Raithere said:
There are two main problems here. One is that you're presenting a false dilemma here which is a logical fallacy. Two, there is no such thing as true chaos above a quantum level. If you wish to assume that order must come from intelligence that is fine... but recognize it as an assumption because there is no empirical or logical foundation for such a supposition.

My point is that a view for an impersonal universe also operates under similar deductive premises - the fact that one person chooses one uinversal view over another simply indicates an epistemological bias - in other words the impersonal universal view claim that a personal universal view is based on processes that are not completely inductive is hollow because their own view operates by the same general principles. In other words the basis for rejecting theism is the same basis that establishes non theism.

Raithere said:
First you need to be able to identify and measure such effects or "symptoms". Order does not suffice as it is embedded in the very fabric of the Universe.

Well I guess you would have to provide examples of designerless order (without of course begging the question by refering to "the universe") - if you take anything that appears designerless (like a snow flake) you can take it back by examining the process of cause and effect until you come to a point where the cause is a mystery (evidenced that the cause cannot be mimicked because the cause is not understood in full or within the parameters of inductive inquiry) - the fact that the fabric of the universe is embedded with a design concept offers another deductive evidence of sentience - after all wouldn't you expect that to be a symptom of an all pervasive consciousness (that is associated with god)?

Raithere said:
All this line of reasoning does is place you in an infinite regression. The traditional theistic excuse is to arbitrarily exempt the creator from the demands of the line of query. But once again the argument is logically unfounded.

This sounds like a remarkable analysis of science bereft of a concept of the absolute - just a little patch of "knowledge" between infinite axis spreading in all directions ....

Raithere said:
I don't concern myself with absolutes because they don't exist except under the artifice of assumed boundary conditions. I find that the need for absolutes is a typically theistic affliction. Even in those who are technically atheistic, such a need drives religious like belief and behavior. The irony is that theists attempt to derive absolutes from a force that is, by most definitions, infinite in scope and thus irresolvable.

Then why are persons like yourself who take to the task of representing the impersonal universal view so "absolutely" sure of things like the evolution of humanity from micro- organisms, or absolutely sure what was happening on the earth 100 000 years ago?
If you examine the basis for these claims you will see that they are highly deductive - the evidence is that these "absolutes" get rewritten every 40 years.
The problem is that you borrow two cloaks - one is the view that science is absolute enough to refute anything claimed in the name of theism - the other is that science is not so absolute to avoid being completely re-written every 40 years.

Raithere said:
Because that's not how trees are.

~Raithere

Yes its ironic how they don't form into houses

Raithere,

Thanks for your refreshing clarity of thought once again. I was becoming quite frustrated with Light's illogic and was taking a break from this thread.

lightgigantic said:
In other words the basis for rejecting theism is the same basis that establishes non theism.
Epistemologically, yes. But not at the level, in the manner, or with the results you suggest. One's epistemological position must be established prior to assuming a methodology. The methodology must then be applied consistently or it fails. It is here that your argument is failing as you attempt to define an argument under one position then attempt to escape to another position when it suits your purpose.

Well I guess you would have to provide examples of designerless order (without of course begging the question by refering to "the universe")
Actually, no. You don't have to give support for arguments and hypotheses you have not posited, only for those you do. Were I to posit an argument as to why the Universe operates by certain principles (theistic or atheistic) I would be required to provide argument. But I have not.

the fact that the fabric of the universe is embedded with a design concept offers another deductive evidence of sentience
Once again, no. It's not. It's your premise that's under attack not your conclusion. In particular, the premise that order is necessarily the result of intelligent design. You've yet to prove this premise therefore any subsequent conclusions you base it upon are unfounded.

This sounds like a remarkable analysis of science bereft of a concept of the absolute - just a little patch of "knowledge" between infinite axis spreading in all directions ....
Indeed? Where is it that science belies its own methodology?

Then why are persons like yourself who take to the task of representing the impersonal universal view so "absolutely" sure of things like the evolution of humanity from micro- organisms, or absolutely sure what was happening on the earth 100 000 years ago?
I'm not. And typically, we're not. The misrepresentation of scientific surety usually arrives when science is interpreted into common parlance for education or publication and I agree that it is problematic. However, weakening one position does not strengthen another.

If you examine the basis for these claims you will see that they are highly deductive - the evidence is that these "absolutes" get rewritten every 40 years.
Well no, not really. First off, there aren't any absolutes in science. Even the strongest theory must be overturned or adjusted to account for a single contrary fact. Secondly, most of the 'rewriting' is adjustment, refinement, and reinterpretation rather than outright rejection. (e.g. Newton's laws still apply, we have simply modified exactly where, how, and when.)

The problem is that you borrow two cloaks - one is the view that science is absolute enough to refute anything claimed in the name of theism - the other is that science is not so absolute to avoid being completely re-written every 40 years.
Not at all. Science is a methodology (see above) and applying that methodology consistently provides certain results given certain inputs. The results change somewhat as we discover new facts and new ideas to apply. If you attempt to use this methodology in an attempt to support theistic beliefs then you have to accept the results, you can't simply jump outside the method whenever you run into a conclusion you dislike and then claim that the methodology supports the results.

~Raithere

Raithere said:
Epistemologically, yes. But not at the level, in the manner, or with the results you suggest. One's epistemological position must be established prior to assuming a methodology. The methodology must then be applied consistently or it fails. It is here that your argument is failing as you attempt to define an argument under one position then attempt to escape to another position when it suits your purpose.

Epistemology is the method of knowledge ... Its not clear what you are indicating by methodology

Raithere said:
Actually, no. You don't have to give support for arguments and hypotheses you have not posited, only for those you do. Were I to posit an argument as to why the Universe operates by certain principles (theistic or atheistic) I would be required to provide argument. But I have not.

Then what are your views on the universal creation (personal or impersonal?) Does matter create consciousness? - You may have personal views on these topics but if we take the general position of science (the epistemology that all phenomena can be recorded and quantified - in otherwords the epistemology is limited to matter) its obvious what absolutes are advocated (the ontology of an impersonal universe).

When it is advocated than man evoled from a microscopic organism or the state of civilisation 100 000 years ago or the nature of the universal creation of course you have a process of knowledge!!! (ie, a movement from epistemology to ontology)

Raithere said:
Once again, no. It's not. It's your premise that's under attack not your conclusion. In particular, the premise that order is necessarily the result of intelligent design. You've yet to prove this premise therefore any subsequent conclusions you base it upon are unfounded.

So how are you free from the same network by assuming the universe is impersonal (see above statement)?

lightgigantic said:
Epistemology is the method of knowledge ... Its not clear what you are indicating by methodology
Epistemology is the study of what knowledge is and how it is obtained. It is implicit and unexamined by most individuals but it is primary to the methodology one uses to justify claims of knowledge. For instance, one must come to the epistemological conclusion that our senses report the state of reality to us more or less accurately prior to accepting the methodologies of the empirical sciences.

Then what are your views on the universal creation (personal or impersonal?) Does matter create consciousness?
I think my personal views about consciousness would only confuse matters at this point. But I will state that the first problem is defining what consciousness is. Until this is done there's not much point in attempting to explain how it is generated.

You may have personal views on these topics but if we take the general position of science (the epistemology that all phenomena can be recorded and quantified - in otherwords the epistemology is limited to matter) its obvious what absolutes are advocated (the ontology of an impersonal universe).
Some clarification is needed here. You have your sets wrong. The epistemological position of science is not that all phenomena are necessarily material in nature but that the field of science is limited to those phenomena which are available to empirical study.

The problem is that many religions have been lured in by the success of science and attempt to make assertions they have no authority to make. Religious or spiritual (better term) experience is inherently and intensely personal and subjective. While we might analyze empirical effects and causes, the subjective experience itself is well beyond the scope of the scientific method. I can no more study your personal revelation of god than you can my experience of Bach. The problem for religion is that most of us look to logic and empirical support to justify claims of knowledge.

When it is advocated than man evoled from a microscopic organism or the state of civilisation 100 000 years ago or the nature of the universal creation of course you have a process of knowledge!!! (ie, a movement from epistemology to ontology)
How does evolution or archaeology define "a movement from epistemology to ontology"? I'm not even sure what you mean by that last statement.

So how are you free from the same network by assuming the universe is impersonal (see above statement)?
I'm not assuming any such thing. In fact I find the question fallacious; I find no division between myself and the Universe that wants for reconciliation. We have a very strong tendency to anthropomorphize... I do my best to minimize that error. But to answer your question a little more directly, from an epistemological position I am agnostic... most atheists are. This is what Cris was trying to explain to you earlier.

~Raithere

Raithere said:
Epistemology is the study of what knowledge is and how it is obtained. It is implicit and unexamined by most individuals but it is primary to the methodology one uses to justify claims of knowledge. For instance, one must come to the epistemological conclusion that our senses report the state of reality to us more or less accurately prior to accepting the methodologies of the empirical sciences.

This is the exact weakness of empiricism - people make errors based on their judgements drawn from sensory information all the time, particularly if they are unqualified- There are epsitemological paradigms for receiving information however that don't rely on one's sense perception of reality, such as hearing from authority (relies on the sense perception of someone in a more qualified position) - that's why so much of knowledge is made up of reading text books ..... Still not 100% clear on your distinction between methodology and epistemology - seems like you are saying that epistemology comes before methodology, which wouldn't strengthen your argument

Raithere said:
I think my personal views about consciousness would only confuse matters at this point. But I will state that the first problem is defining what consciousness is. Until this is done there's not much point in attempting to explain how it is generated.

Well take a dead person and a living person and note the differences

Raithere said:
Some clarification is needed here. You have your sets wrong. The epistemological position of science is not that all phenomena are necessarily material in nature but that the field of science is limited to those phenomena which are available to empirical study.

Which limits the onotology to matter - ie a view of an impersonal universe

Raithere said:
The problem is that many religions have been lured in by the success of science and attempt to make assertions they have no authority to make. Religious or spiritual (better term) experience is inherently and intensely personal and subjective.

If that was the case you would expect to see religious experience as a wide array of characteristics - instead the characteristics of religion are quite uniform - eg - general focus on good character, emancipation from worldly delights, establishment of a transcendental reality etc

In other words there seems to be an objective reality connecting these subjective experiences - you could deduce that they are responding to the same objective phenomena (ie perceiving god) hence religion bears similar characteristics in varieties of time place and circumstance

Raithere said:
While we might analyze empirical effects and causes, the subjective experience itself is well beyond the scope of the scientific method. I can no more study your personal revelation of god than you can my experience of Bach. The problem for religion is that most of us look to logic and empirical support to justify claims of knowledge.

Actually religion doesn't rely on ascending empiricism - it relies on descending revelation - in other words the knowledge is received as opposed to acquired - in empiricism there is no focus on personal behaviour to acquire knowledge because the person seeking to acquire is the only conscious factor - in revelation however there are two conscious factors (at least) namely god (or god's representative, like say jesus for the xtians) and the person seeking spiritual knowledge - in other words if you have bad character (ie are offensive or inimical to the person delivering the knowledge) you don't acquire any spiritual knowledge - this is a basic summary of the epistemology of acquiring spiritual knowledge - it innvolves existential conditions or ways that you have to actually behave to acquire it

Raithere said:
How does evolution or archaeology define "a movement from epistemology to ontology"? I'm not even sure what you mean by that last statement.

Sorry its my fault for being quite unclear

Ok if you start with the epistemology that only what you can see and quanitfy is real (which limits you to matter) - then obviously you will arrive at the ontological destination of an impersonal universe - accepting quantifiable matter as the basis for an epistemology is faulty because that epistemology cannot be applied to all phenomena (like consciousness for instance)

Raithere said:
I'm not assuming any such thing. In fact I find the question fallacious; I find no division between myself and the Universe that wants for reconciliation. We have a very strong tendency to anthropomorphize... I do my best to minimize that error. But to answer your question a little more directly, from an epistemological position I am agnostic... most atheists are. This is what Cris was trying to explain to you earlier.

~Raithere

That's what cris was trying to say? I thought I pushed it too him quite clearly on the distinctions between an agnostic and an atheist and I am pretty sure he opted for the atheist catergory - I could dig up quotes here and there onthis site but i think cris has stated quite clearly in numerous threads that there is no god, which is not a terribly agnostic proposal

Like this quote from cris reeks of the certainty of an atheist
"Whether they additionally believe they are serving their imaginary deity or serving mankind is irrelevant; they will do whatever their cult has devised as a set of rules that they imagine will allow them to cheat death."

There are better examples to dig up but I am pretty sure that cris is happy to declare himself an atheist, distinct from an agnostic

Last edited:
lightgigantic said:
This is the exact weakness of empiricism - people make errors based on their judgements drawn from sensory information all the time, particularly if they are unqualified- There are epsitemological paradigms for receiving information however that don't rely on one's sense perception of reality, such as hearing from authority (relies on the sense perception of someone in a more qualified position)
Which is why the methodology of science was developed; to eliminate these common errors.

Authority, in a logical sense, can only result from argument not personal qualification. Regardless, your example is only a further example of empiricism, it's just second hand. Examples of alternative epistemologies would be intuition, apriorism (knowledge is innate), revelation / epiphany, introspection, rationalism, etc.

Still not 100% clear on your distinction between methodology and epistemology - seems like you are saying that epistemology comes before methodology, which wouldn't strengthen your argument
Yes, the epistemological position must be established first. For example, if one takes a rationalist position one's methodology would be logic. If one takes an epistemological position the methodology is science. Revelation: meditation / prayer. Etc. Most of us use a variety of methodologies, giving differing value to various epistemological positions.

Well take a dead person and a living person and note the differences
Too simple. What's the difference between someone who is asleep or anesthetized and one who is awake?

Which limits the onotology to matter - ie a view of an impersonal universe
That's still not the point. It is science that is limited, not the scope of all phenomena. By analogy; that someone studies Math does not mean that English is not a valid subject. But no matter how many Geometry proofs you run you won't get a better understanding of Shakespeare.

If that was the case you would expect to see religious experience as a wide array of characteristics - instead the characteristics of religion are quite uniform - eg - general focus on good character, emancipation from worldly delights, establishment of a transcendental reality etc

In other words there seems to be an objective reality connecting these subjective experiences - you could deduce that they are responding to the same objective phenomena (ie perceiving god) hence religion bears similar characteristics in varieties of time place and circumstance
Okay, I'll go deep on this one. As each of us contemplates the infinite what is, by necessity, common to our perspectives?

Actually religion doesn't rely on ascending empiricism - it relies on descending revelation - in other words the knowledge is received as opposed to acquired
Agreed. Now then, my problem with this epistemological position is that one would expect such knowledge to be particularly accurate, insightful, complete, non-contradictory... it isn't. Therefore either the source is in question or the intermediaries are. Either way, such knowledge is highly questionable IMO.

- in revelation however there are two conscious factors (at least) namely god (or god's representative, like say jesus for the xtians) and the person seeking spiritual knowledge

- in other words if you have bad character (ie are offensive or inimical to the person delivering the knowledge) you don't acquire any spiritual knowledge - this is a basic summary of the epistemology of acquiring spiritual knowledge - it innvolves existential conditions or ways that you have to actually behave to acquire it
It's a summary of Abrahamic religions and some others, yes, but not of all religions/spiritualities. It is certainly not a Buddhist, Taoist, or Hindu epistemological position.

Ok if you start with the epistemology that only what you can see and quanitfy is real (which limits you to matter) - then obviously you will arrive at the ontological destination of an impersonal universe - accepting quantifiable matter as the basis for an epistemology is faulty because that epistemology cannot be applied to all phenomena (like consciousness for instance)
You've already stated this. The problem is that you're assuming that all atheists take this rather narrow material / empirical position. Not all atheists are strict materialists however. In fact, I don't believe anyone can maintain a single epistemological postion.

That's what cris was trying to say? I thought I pushed it too him quite clearly on the distinctions between an agnostic and an atheist and I am pretty sure he opted for the atheist catergory - I could dig up quotes here and there onthis site but i think cris has stated quite clearly in numerous threads that there is no god, which is not a terribly agnostic proposal
Agnosticism is a epistemological position as well as a theistic one. There are three agnostic positions: Atheistic and epistemologically agnostic, Theistic and epistemologically agnostic or both theistically and epistemologically agnostic (true agnosticism).

~Raithere

Raithere said:
Which is why the methodology of science was developed; to eliminate these common errors..

How are the errors erradicated if the epistemology still relies on sensory perception? Perhaps you could say minimized but not eliminated

Raithere said:
Authority, in a logical sense, can only result from argument not personal qualification. .

Authority results from qualification - in other words an unqualified article posing as a qualified one will fail.

Raithere said:
Regardless, your example is only a further example of empiricism, it's just second hand. Examples of alternative epistemologies would be intuition, apriorism (knowledge is innate), revelation / epiphany, introspection, rationalism, etc..

Its only empirical if you assume that the person or teacher giving the knowledge had to wrack their brains in the traditional empirical fashion to work things out - the idea behind revelation is that the knowledge comes from a person in pure consciousness, and the ultimate in pure consciousness is god - in other words there is a state of being where knowledge manifests (commonly called self realisation - or perceiving the exact identity of the self)

Raithere said:
Yes, the epistemological position must be established first. For example, if one takes a rationalist position one's methodology would be logic. If one takes an epistemological position the methodology is science. Revelation: meditation / prayer. Etc. Most of us use a variety of methodologies, giving differing value to various epistemological positions. .

I am with you but I am lost on this "If one takes an epistemological position the methodology is science" what is the exclusive connection between epistemology and science ?- I have a feeling you may be using science in a broad sense but I am not sure

Raithere said:
Too simple. What's the difference between someone who is asleep or anesthetized and one who is awake?.

Different levels of consciousness based on three states of self identification - awake (subtle and gross body), asleep (subtle body) , unconscious (neither gross nor subtle body) - but the self can drift in and out of these three states so it must consist of a fourth elemnt - called "turiya" (in sanskrit) or composed of the fourth element, ie consciousness
more info on
http://srimadbhagavatam.com/11/25/20/en
and
http://srimadbhagavatam.com/11/13/27/en

Raithere said:
That's still not the point. It is science that is limited, not the scope of all phenomena. By analogy; that someone studies Math does not mean that English is not a valid subject. But no matter how many Geometry proofs you run you won't get a better understanding of Shakespeare..

So why does science advocate an ontology that excludes the ontology of theism (ie the idea that the universe is a product of intelligent design)? Its not like the view of a creative designer inhibits the pursuit of empiricism.

Raithere said:
Okay, I'll go deep on this one. As each of us contemplates the infinite what is, by necessity, common to our perspectives?.

If they were actually contemplating the infinite as a form of infinity you would expect an infinite array of results, but instead you see a general catergory of practice that goes down in the name of religion - it may be contemplating something infinite (god) but still there are relatively uniform practices that develop in religion - in otherwords god is the localized aspect of infinity :cool:

Raithere said:
Agreed. Now then, my problem with this epistemological position is that one would expect such knowledge to be particularly accurate, insightful, complete, non-contradictory... it isn't. Therefore either the source is in question or the intermediaries are. Either way, such knowledge is highly questionable IMO..

Contradictions may appear due to a lack of qualification of the seer - for example a person familiar with a branch of knowledge can distinguish between principles and details, while an inexperienced person will be unlikely to. The intermediaries only become a problem if you cannot recognise qualification - for instance imagine if you set out to understand genetics and just absorbed any thing and everything anyone ever said on the subject - discrimination requires that you understand who is an authority and who is not - and even then there are some authorities that are more qualified than others - I agree with an aspect of what you are saying- the problem with religion is the intermediatory mediums (in other words the rejection of a qualified authority and the acceptance of an unqualified authority)

Raithere said:
It's a summary of Abrahamic religions and some others, yes, but not of all religions/spiritualities. It is certainly not a Buddhist, Taoist, or Hindu epistemological position..

I would say it is very integral to hinduism and buddhism because they generally operate out of systems of guru and disciple
http://vedabase.org/bg/4/34/en
Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth.

and also

"8) By the mercy of the spiritual master one receives the benediction of God. Without the grace of the spiritual master, one cannot make any advancement. Therefore, I should always remember and praise the spiritual master. At least three times a day I should offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master."
Gurvastakam prayers V'natha C'varti

I could quote heaps of other slokas on this same point

Think you can acquire spiritual knowledge by not pleasing those personalities who are already established in transcendence? I doubt it. Its certainly not an idea advocated in scripture

Raithere said:
You've already stated this. The problem is that you're assuming that all atheists take this rather narrow material / empirical position. Not all atheists are strict materialists however. In fact, I don't believe anyone can maintain a single epistemological postion.

I am referring to a view that the universe is impersonal which is a general principle advocated by an atheist that makes them distinct from an agnostic - I would agree however that it is a conclusion drawn from a narrow empirical position

Raithere said:
Agnosticism is a epistemological position as well as a theistic one. There are three agnostic positions: Atheistic and epistemologically agnostic, Theistic and epistemologically agnostic or both theistically and epistemologically agnostic (true agnosticism).

~Raithere

I think we may be operating out of different definitions of epistemology - this last paragraph didn't make sense - maybe you could illustrate the distinctions with examples of action that follows such an epistemology - at the moment its not clear to me the distinction you are making between these three classes

lightgigantic said:
How are the errors erradicated if the epistemology still relies on sensory perception? Perhaps you could say minimized but not eliminated
The methodology is designed to eliminate errors. I've yet to see a human system that does anything perfectly. So yes, it tends to minimize errors.

Authority results from qualification - in other words an unqualified article posing as a qualified one will fail.
Again no. Qualification matters not a whit. The only authority is argument. Is the argument sound, does it provide evidence, does it lead to a conclusion, are there other possible explanations, etc. The qualification, of a person or a paper, is only a cheat... a quick way to decide whether or not the argument is worthy of further exploration.

Its only empirical if you assume that the person or teacher giving the knowledge had to wrack their brains in the traditional empirical fashion to work things out - the idea behind revelation is that the knowledge comes from a person in pure consciousness, and the ultimate in pure consciousness is god - in other words there is a state of being where knowledge manifests (commonly called self realisation - or perceiving the exact identity of the self)
You have your methodologies confused here... empiricism relies on experimentation and observation not thought. Revelation's source is a deity, not one's enlightened self (unless you're claiming yourself god) that would be introspection or apriorism. Admittedly this is a complex topic. But we're discussing the source of the knowledge rather than how it is communicated. The source of a science teacher's knowledge is empirical.

I am with you but I am lost on this "If one takes an epistemological position the methodology is science" what is the exclusive connection between epistemology and science ?- I have a feeling you may be using science in a broad sense but I am not sure
My bad, I meant to say, "If one takes an empirical position the methodology is science."

Different levels of consciousness based on three states of self identification - awake (subtle and gross body), asleep (subtle body) , unconscious (neither gross nor subtle body) - but the self can drift in and out of these three states so it must consist of a fourth elemnt - called "turiya" (in sanskrit) or composed of the fourth element, ie consciousness
Very poetic but this doesn't really contain any information.

So why does science advocate an ontology that excludes the ontology of theism (ie the idea that the universe is a product of intelligent design)? Its not like the view of a creative designer inhibits the pursuit of empiricism.
Again, science does not advocate an ontology, it studies one. The realm of the transcendent (presuming such exists) would be beyond the scope of science. Singular phenomena are also beyond the scope of science. Science studies that which can be observed, this does not necessarily preclude the existence of things that cannot be observed. Although one can make an argument towards it, this does not lie within the scope of science.

If they were actually contemplating the infinite as a form of infinity you would expect an infinite array of results, but instead you see a general catergory of practice that goes down in the name of religion
That's because everyone looks through human eyes.

Contradictions may appear due to a lack of qualification of the seer
Twice wrong. First, as above, qualification does not merit authority. Secondly, one cannot even make such a qualification unless one is qualified to do so. In other words, who can determine who is qualified and who is not?

I would say it is very integral to hinduism and buddhism because they generally operate out of systems of guru and disciple
Hinduism is a bit too flexible and adaptive to confine so tightly... I guess we're both partly right.

" Shabda-brahman is considered the most reliable form of authority for spiritual and related matters. However, Hinduism is not simply an authoritarian system of belief, and tends to synthesise religious commitment with open philosophical inquiry. It acknowledges the need for exploration and realisation of knowledge. Without appropriate conduct and values, informational and experiential knowledge will be inevitably misconstrued." - http://hinduism.iskcon.com/concepts/110.htm

I am referring to a view that the universe is impersonal which is a general principle advocated by an atheist that makes them distinct from an agnostic - I would agree however that it is a conclusion drawn from a narrow empirical position
I still think you assuming too much. So much depends upon the definitions of the terms involved. My favorite response, for instance, to queries into my atheism is, "Define God". Under certain definitions, I can easily be considered a Cosmotheist. Other scientific hypotheses acutally place the individual at the center of things. For instance, the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

I think we may be operating out of different definitions of epistemology - this last paragraph didn't make sense - maybe you could illustrate the distinctions with examples of action that follows such an epistemology - at the moment its not clear to me the distinction you are making between these three classes

Atheistic and epistemologically agnostic - Does not believe in god due to a lack of convincing argument or evidence but is admittedly ignorant of possibilities under which god might exist.

Theistic and epistemologically agnostic - Believes in god despite a lack of convincing argument or evidence but is admits that god might not actually exist. Or believes that the answer is deliberately hidden by God (the "that's why they call it faith" types).

Theistically and epistemologically agnostic (true agnosticism) - Believes the question of God is unanswerable.

~Raithere

Raithere said:
Again no. Qualification matters not a whit. The only authority is argument. Is the argument sound, does it provide evidence, does it lead to a conclusion, are there other possible explanations, etc. The qualification, of a person or a paper, is only a cheat... a quick way to decide whether or not the argument is worthy of further exploration.

So a person who is qualified only in paper is not qualified - what's th edifficulty - qualification implies some practical applicationin the real world otherwise it is meaningless

Raithere said:
You have your methodologies confused here... empiricism relies on experimentation and observation not thought.

- Not thought? Excuse me? Why does science constantly change its mind?

Raithere said:
Revelation's source is a deity, not one's enlightened self (unless you're claiming yourself god) that would be introspection or apriorism. Admittedly this is a complex topic. But we're discussing the source of the knowledge rather than how it is communicated. The source of a science teacher's knowledge is empirical.

Seeing the self in relation to god is called self realisation and the alternative is ignorance - self realisation is acquired by the mercy of god and god's representative, because the knowable object in this case (ie god) is a consciousness entity and not dead matter - it operates on a different paradigm - the paradaigm of empricism cannot escape dull matter and cannot even enetr into consciousness

Raithere said:
My bad, I meant to say, "If one takes an empirical position the methodology is science."

science just means you apply a process you get a result - it holds true with transcendental practices - but if you don't apply the process you don't get the result

Raithere said:
Very poetic but this doesn't really contain any information.

lol - not the introspective type eh?

Raithere said:
Again, science does not advocate an ontology, it studies one.

It advocates an ontology - otherwise why is their ontology constantly undergoing reformation?

Raithere said:
The realm of the transcendent (presuming such exists) would be beyond the scope of science.

why? Certainly thjose established in the "science" of transcendence disagree

Raithere said:
Singular phenomena are also beyond the scope of science. Science studies that which can be observed, this does not necessarily preclude the existence of things that cannot be observed. Although one can make an argument towards it, this does not lie within the scope of science.

Unless a person comes to the point of observing what they are observing with all they may acquire in the name of knowledge is a useless waste of time

Raithere said:
That's because everyone looks through human eyes.

By everyone you mean you?

Raithere said:
Twice wrong. First, as above, qualification does not merit authority. Secondly, one cannot even make such a qualification unless one is qualified to do so. In other words, who can determine who is qualified and who is not?

qualification behooves qualification - otherwise why not take your car to a hooker to get repaired?

Raithere said:
Hinduism is a bit too flexible and adaptive to confine so tightly... I guess we're both partly right.

No question of knowledge without training

Raithere said:
" Shabda-brahman is considered the most reliable form of authority for spiritual and related matters. However, Hinduism is not simply an authoritarian system of belief, and tends to synthesise religious commitment with open philosophical inquiry. It acknowledges the need for exploration and realisation of knowledge. Without appropriate conduct and values, informational and experiential knowledge will be inevitably misconstrued." - http://hinduism.iskcon.com/concepts/110.htm~Raithere

Therefore one poses questions to a guru - do you know what sabda brahman is? It indicates a process, hence the adaption of "appropriate conduct and values" - because this is absent ion modernism there is no question of acquiring this knowledge by empiricism

Back