Questions regarding this forum

Discussion in 'Formal debates' started by James R, Nov 21, 2007.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That's ok. It's easy enough to keep a watch on such things.

It might be possible, but it's not a standard feature of the forum software. It's easier for the moderators to keep an eye on the threads.

Mine.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

How do I challenge someone to a debate??
    P.M or in a thread there on???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please read the sticky threads at the top of the Formal Debates forum thread list.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So, if a debater has made a thread that has then been locked...I make a new thread?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

GeoffP:

What kind of thread? A proposal thread, a debate thread or a discussion thread?

Debate threads are always closed at the conclusion of a debate. Discussion threads generally stay open indefinitely. Proposal threads are closed when the parameters of a debate are finalised and Debate and Discussion threads are opened. Proposal threads can also be closed if they are not properly-structured debate proposals, or if the person/people challenged to a debate do not agree to the debate within a reasonable time span.

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

What's the preferred method of asking mods for a ruling over a rules disagreement?

Tach and I are having a disagreement, see [post=2896222]post 70[/post] and on in the discussion thread.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It seems reasonable to me that a debater be given a chance to abide by the rules he agreed to in the Proposal thread. If he cannot comply, I guess that means he forfeits the debate and we can close the debate thread.

A better outcome might be for the participants to resolve their differences among themselves.

I'm happy to arbitrary on beaches of the rules, but the only penalty that can ultimately be applied is for the debate to be terminated early, as far as I can see.