Should attempted murder be illegal?

There might not be. But I have planned things I never would have done. There is a gray area, but leaning in to the sleeping person and pulling the trigger has gone beyond the planning stage. You know Betrayer, I think you raise solid issues, but your examples are too hard to defend. Try to aim for the gray area.

Or tell me to fuck off for being a busybody or ignore my suggestion.

I'm going for my first year of actual debate this year in high school, and I greatly respect your opinion and your debating skills. I have noticed I raise good topics, though ;). Is there any type of example I should look for? I'm completely inexperienced in debating, and all that I have done is simply reusing common arguments for God, which I now find boring.

You put a gun to someones head, while they are sleeping. You pull the trigger, no bullets come out. In an ideal world, have you committed a crime?

On one hand. Depends on the context.

On another..

Anyone who tries to use a gun, without testing it first, is probably stupid enough to succumb to similar stupid impulses.

The OP is not a very good example of attempted murder. Key word is attempt. A better example is throwing someone in ther path of a moving vehicle, such as a train.

You wont have attempted murder onan empty gun but a malfunctioning gun and with witnesses? most likely that would work too.

So to review, attempted means with intent. BUT it has to be a reasonable\workable attempt.

It shouldn't be. After all you don't get a college degree just for trying...

Ok...here's a grey area situation.

Mac wants BOH dead for some reason.

Mac knows Bubba, a known killer with a short temper.

Mac tells Bubba that BOH is fucking around with his wife.

Bubba shoots BOH, but BOH is not fatally wounded.

Is Mac guilty of attempted murder?

My example is a paraphrase from an actual case here in Texas, where a woman was caught by her husband in her lover's car, "testing the shock absorbers" (wink wink). To save face with her husband, the woman lied and said her lover was raping her. Her husband went and got a gun and shot her lover. She's up on attempted murder charges.

I should be shot for not posting a reference link...let me look it up.

Story link

He shot him as he drove off..so it was right after.

I'm so bad at this whole life thing. Thanks everyone! Y'all have done a much better job presenting my question than I have :)

Fuck it, he failed at murder, let's let him have another go.

GOOD IDEA!

lol,

This is actualy illegal, your not allowed to pull triggers at peoples heads sleeping or not. If you or they thought the gun ws loaded and it was not a joke from your point of view or there point of view then your liable to get thrown in the slammer. attempted murder can get you life in jail.

peace.

If you try to kill someone, but then don't because you realized that iy would be wrong after you already showed signs of commiting. Then the person should be innocent.

Well ideal for who exactly?, for people like myself I would have no problem with it being every man for himself, you can do what you like and suffer the karma. I would not complain if everything was legal and I can do whatever I want to people who do me wrong.

But that would not be ideal for people who do not wish to protect themselves all the time, I dont think anything would be a universal ideal because somebody is always going to disagree.

peace.

Well ideal for who exactly?, for people like myself I would have no problem with it being every man for himself, you can do what you like and suffer the karma. I would not complain if everything was legal and I can do whatever I want to people who do me wrong.

But that would not be ideal for people who do not wish to protect themselves all the time, I dont think anything would be a universal ideal because somebody is always going to disagree.

peace.

For yourself.

If attempted murder is illegal, shouldn't attempted attempted murder be illegal also.

IOW, if you expressed an interest in planning to murder someone, but failed to write anything down, in terms of a plan, that was at all useful. All you could think of were soft objects to hit them with.

But you are the kind of person who would attempt murder - and hypothetically even succeed - but you are poor at getting to the attempt stage.

Morally you are on equal footing with the attempted murderer who is simply more skilled but no more evil.

Back