Signs of past Life on Mars

Pinball1970

Valued Senior Member
Article here

"A vein-filled rock is catching the eye of the science team of NASA's Perseverance rover. Nicknamed "Cheyava Falls" by the team, the arrowhead-shaped rock contains fascinating traits that may bear on the question of whether Mars was home to microscopic life in the distant past."

Yeah, I read about this. Rumour has it they're hoping it will help green light the stalled sample return mission.

Yeah, I read about this. Rumour has it they're hoping it will help green light the stalled sample return mission.
To be honest I am something of a curmudgeon about all this. NASA is always trying to crank up excitement over some supposed evidence of life on Mars and it has never come to anything yet.

A bit cynically, I suspect it's all to with that aphorism in The Right Stuff: "Know what makes this bird go up? Funding makes this bird go up." ;)

To be honest I am something of a curmudgeon about all this. NASA is always trying to crank up excitement over some supposed evidence of life on Mars and it has never come to anything yet.

A bit cynically, I suspect it's all to with that aphorism in The Right Stuff: "Know what makes this bird go up? Funding makes this bird go up." ;)

Yes we have to be skeptical especially with a claim as big as this. We have been here before.

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck it could still just be ancient, abiotic mineral deposits with a passing resemblance to bacteria.

1722252247844.png

I agree that's pretty curmudgeonly. NASA is not being coy about the preliminarity of the evidence. They're not presenting polishing findings after-the-fact; they're bringing us along on the journey, and we're pretty much seeing what they see. They are aware they have a lot of fans who are champing at the bit for the latest images yet to be analyzed. I'd cut em a break.

I agree that's pretty curmudgeonly. NASA is not being coy about the preliminarity of the evidence. They're not presenting polishing findings after-the-fact; they're bringing us along on the journey, and we're pretty much seeing what they see. They are aware they have a lot of fans who are champing at the bit for the latest images yet to be analyzed. I'd cut em a break.
Fair enough. I’m afraid I tend to class life on Mars with nuclear fusion. There have been so many false dawns.

The bald bloke? Or the twat in the dicky bow at left?
1722353718369.png
He hosted what was for a long time, one of the lowest forms of daytime TV entertainment ever conceived.
Redneck hicks are brought on the show to air their dirty laundry (almost inevitably I slept with your sister and now I don;t know whose baby it is.) Every show erupts in a round of chair throwing.
Also incredibly popular.

View attachment 6005
He hosted what was for a long time, one of the lowest forms of daytime TV entertainment ever conceived.
Redneck hicks are brought on the show to air their dirty laundry (almost inevitably I slept with your sister and now I don;t know whose baby it is.) Every show erupts in a round of chair throwing.
Also incredibly popular.
Ah I see. So he was the twat in the bow tie at left in the picture, calmly looking on, having engineered a fight between these poor saps.

You know the script Dave. Ref please
-_O Well, it's in the news. Googling 'Water on Mars' will turn up multiple sources of your choice.

Back