This is important

I'd be interested in seeing this 'documentation'. Nobody that I know of has been able to demonstrate anything at a level consistently above what probability states.

I know this will have Persol Choking on his drink of mineral water, but I would do it, But for no less than $100,000,000.00 and there would be Recordable Outcomes proven.

Infact I think if it was raised to $100,000,000.00 I think I could get Persol to stand on his head, and forgive past transgressions.

Perhaps you do not know as much as you think Persol. Do some research on Caroline Myss and Mona Lisa Schulz.

Mrs Myss offers nothing but anecdots as 'proof'... no actual evidence that anything she says is true.
Schulz has povided just as much.

I too would like to see someone demonstrate a paranormal ability that actually works. Too many times do people claim things but when asked to prove it they shy away because they have lied.

I do think the abilities are real, but I think that most (90-something%) of people who claim to have them are just liers, cheats, or on something.

I think that this (meaning the mind interpretting standard input in an 'odd' way) is the reason for most beliefs in these abilities

Well if it worked Persol, It would be "Parapsychological".

Although I guess you might just be trying it at home as we speak.
Perhaps I should attempt to answer, lol.

Medical intuitives perceive illness in people that is documented by conventional medical tests and it is not enough for you.

No. There is no reason to think this is anything beyond body language... not that you have shown any of this documentation of perceiving illness anyway.

Persol said:
You can't afford to fly to the USA? Uh huh. You could just accept enough money to pay for your troubles.

What exactly do you think you can do?

Well, that would be astral projection. The conciousness leaving the physical body..

However anyone can do this and everyone does it regularly. So that's why I couldn't accept money for it.

How can you show someone else astral projection/OOB experiences? That's pretty much inside your head, so to speak.

How can you show someone else astral projection/OOB experiences? That's pretty much inside your head, so to speak.

You can obtain accurate information about the [physical] world that you could not possibly have known before 'going to sleep' or guessed upon waking up.
Like projecting to a neighboring room and reporting on which objects are present there and to describe these perfectly.

some cases with experiments here: http://www.subversiveelement.com/AstralProjection.html

Persol said:
There are tons of people who claim they can move things with their minds, have ESP, can talk to dogs, whatever. All of these are obviosuly testable...

I can move things with my mind, though I admit it helps having a properly functioning nervous system, and spinal collumn to send electrical impulses to the muscles in my arms. . . really my hands to much of the moving, but it all gets started in the brain!

Also, I can talk to my cat, and he even talks back! No, I'm serious about this one. . . though all he ever seems to say back to me is variations of "Meow" and the only English words he seems to understand are his own name and the word "food". I am, however entirely certain, and very hopefull that he understands Spanish much better, and our lack of communication is my own failure for having taken only a single year of that language back in middle school.

candy said:
I do not believe we have the level of technology to define what we precieve as the paranormal. We get hints about what it may be but defining it is beyond our capabilities. We have been able to document the work of some medical intuitives but how they do it is not known.

If it is real and it can be observed, then it can be studied, defined and known. There's no such thing as the "unknowable" at least not within the realm of observable phenomena (which is what those who report supernatural powers are certainly reporting). In other words, if you can see it then you can know it, and even if we don’t get to the ultimate cause of a phenomena, or document all of it’s properties, the fact remains that there should be enough to go on that we could at least determine that it does in fact exist, and there is an observation to be made. Thus far, there’s been very little of that.

Mystech said:
I can move things with my mind, though I admit it helps having a properly functioning nervous system, and spinal collumn to send electrical impulses to the muscles in my arms. . . really my hands to much of the moving, but it all gets started in the brain!

Also, I can talk to my cat, and he even talks back! No, I'm serious about this one. . . though all he ever seems to say back to me is variations of "Meow" and the only English words he seems to understand are his own name and the word "food". I am, however entirely certain, and very hopefull that he understands Spanish much better, and our lack of communication is my own failure for having taken only a single year of that language back in middle school.
Well done:)

Well, that would be astral projection. The conciousness leaving the physical body..

Hell... who needs to pay for a plane ticket then. Unless you only visit OTHER worlds, in which case they are called dreams.

Accurate medical diagnoses can be made on the basis of normal sensory perception; sick people smell different from healthy people, for instance. A diagnostician will sometimes be trained in signals like these to be able to diagnose diseases better, but there's no reason why someone else wouldn't either
1) Be able to do this, but claim that they can't and that they are using psychic powers instead, or
2) Not realize that this is the method they are using, and believe that the "feeling" they get that someone is sick is psychic, when in fact it arises from their unnoticed sense of smell.

One of my favorite aspects about all of these paranormal powers is that in describing them, most believers describe not just one phenomena, but instead a single phenomena that requires you buy into a dozen more unobserved elements that you must take for granted to believe them. For instance, Astral projection is when your consciousness leaves the body and goes into another realm! This requires not just that you believe a mind can leave a body, but that consciousness is something which is in fact NOT a product of the physical processes of our brain (that it is in fact entirely independent) that it can somehow move around, and that other unseen dimensions are all around us, and it is possible to move through them. . . that's quite a lot to take in all at once, especially without any supporting evidence.

In general, and this isn’t always the case, but usually, if you have to invent a whole new wild phenomena just to explain another phenomena, you’re probably just fucking nuts. Though I guess the real deciding factor is when neither of them are based on any actual observations.

Back