Topless Women March for Right to Go Topless

AGREED.

Concise and to the point. I sure wish I had a talent for summing up my paragraphs in only a few words like that.

I'm cursed with rambling long windedness...

Brevity doesn't always work to my benefit, especially when it has to transcend the assumptions and inferences of cross cultural (mis)communications.

This is too general. Some things the so called primitives got right.

I wasn't implying any judgment there. Just that being topless in the Congo doesn't have the same cachet of progressiveness as being topless in Manhattan.

Brevity doesn't always work to my benefit, especially when it has to transcend the assumptions and inferences of cross cultural (mis)communications.

sorry but this is one of those times, are you saying its barbaric to see a womens breasts or that its barbaric to force women to cover up? If the first i have to disagree, if the second i compleatly agree with you. Its a compleate joke that naked breasts are treated as more of an offrunt to sociaty than watching someones head blown off

sorry but this is one of those times, are you saying its barbaric to see a womens breasts or that its barbaric to force women to cover up? If the first i have to disagree, if the second i compleatly agree with you. Its a compleate joke that naked breasts are treated as more of an offrunt to sociaty than watching someones head blown off

Women in the Congo do not need to take to the streets to be free to uncover their breasts. Does that make them more advanced than women in Manhattan?

So one should only demonstrate for the most important issue and nothing else?

Anyway, the issue is not simply women being free to be topless, it's the underlying ideas about what women are and men are not and what men are and women are not that the standard reinforces.

Its irrelevant in terms of women's rights. Like I said good luck to them but I find it a non issue. In Woodstock, NY there was a similar movement and they won, but guess what? After they won there were no women walking around the streets topless. And yeah I think people should put their time where it counts, I find this movement frivolous to say the least.

I have been topless at the beach in France and Italy but its hardly the same as running around downtown with your tits hanging out. If they want to do so then fine. Best of British luck to them but its hardly something I particularly care about. I think their just a bunch of exhibitionists NOT activists.

Its irrelevant in terms of women's rights. Like I said good luck to them but I find it a non issue. In Woodstock, NY there was a similar movement and they won, but guess what? After they won there were no women walking around the streets topless. And yeah I think people should put their time where it counts, I find this movement frivolous to say the least.

I have been topless at the beach in France and Italy but its hardly the same as running around downtown with your tits hanging out. If they want to do so then fine. Best of British luck to them but its hardly something I particularly care about. I think their just a bunch of exhibitionists.
Do you see any irony in the time you've put in saying it is frivolous?

Women in the Congo do not need to take to the streets to be free to uncover their breasts. Does that make them more advanced than women in Manhattan?
The advancement is not in the women. The advancement is in what is allowed and perhaps the attitudes of those who want to restrict this. It's damn hot in the Congo. I am glad some weird hallucinated taboo is not making women wear something they do not want to there. Someday we will advance to a place where men don't have to wear ties in certain professions. As it is they have to spend extra money on a slightly uncomfortable piece of clothing that serves no purpose.

Do you see any irony in the time you've put in saying it is frivolous?

No irony at all. I think its a frivolous issue. If you want to join them Doreen and give them your support, fight the good fight against the male dominated machine or what have you then you are free to do so. But I think its a :zzz:

I wasn't implying any judgment there. Just that being topless in the Congo doesn't have the same cachet of progressiveness as being topless in Manhattan.
I don't really care if someone thinks it is progressive or not and really this is beside the point. We have a rule. The rule needs to be justified. If some people think that women going topless is progressive seems beside the point.

No irony at all. I think its a frivolous issue. If you want to join them Doreen and give them your support, fight the good fight against the male dominated machine or what have you then you are free to do so. But I think its a :zzz:
OK. But you seemed to be critical of them for spending time on something frivolous, which is what you are doing now.

I don't really care if someone thinks it is progressive or not and really this is beside the point. We have a rule. The rule needs to be justified. If some people think that women going topless is progressive seems beside the point.
Might want to take some time to think what the rule is really about.

I have been topless at the beach in France and Italy but its hardly the same as running around downtown with your tits hanging out. If they want to do so then fine. Best of British luck to them but its hardly something I particularly care about. I think their just a bunch of exhibitionists NOT activists.

And I agree with this entire post, beginning to end.

Laws aside, I see this as if a bunch of men got together wearing high heels to whine about how women can wear high heel pumps and men can't.

Meanwhile, in spite of the man-bashing, a lot of these "society rules" are placed by Both Genders.
Women comment on other womens weight and dress.
Men are less likely to.

Men care less about what women wear. Sure, we like a woman to smell nice and dress up on occasion and women feel the same about men. Sometimes, some folks can be aroused by someone being sweaty from the gym-- But of course that's an occasional thing only (And not one I partake in. I've just heard about it.)
Doesn't mean that people should sweat more...
Anyway, mens magizines are filled with pictures of women that were pawed over for hours trying to find the right FASHION to display her in. By gay men and women. Figure that one out.

To claim that a bunch of Men are responsible for this glaring inequality is absurd. Women are EQUALLY responsible and women are quite opinionated about eachother.

Continue the fight girls!!! :)

Maybe we can have an online Sciforums demonstration :p

I almost tried that once. For some reason, the effect was not what you might call salutory to the female liberation movement. When women drop a bra, the men are not thinking of alternate uses for all that wiring that got saved.

You guys are REALLY not helping me promote the modest man image here!! Cut it Out Ya Net Perverts!

How many of these New Age Men work under women bosses, ya thunk?

OK. But you seemed to be critical of them for spending time on something frivolous, which is what you are doing now.

No I am making a comment, fully clothed I might add. I didn't criticize them. I know people who collect cabbage patch dolls, I also find that to be a frivolous past time but like I said 'good luck to them'. If they gain the right, fine. If they don't I won't lose any sleep over it or think there's another battle lost in the interest of freedom.

As for the Congo:

E TIQUETTE

Casual clothes are permitted, but unwritten rule is that the nicer one looks, the more respect one will receive. Most local Congolese dress in clean, crisp clothes and colorful outfits. Women wear long skirts, never pants.

Read more: Culture of Democratic Republic of the Congo - traditional, history, people, clothing, women, beliefs, food, customs, family, social, dress, marriage, men, life, population, religion, rituals, History and ethnic relations http://www.everyculture.com/Bo-Co/Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo.html#ixzz0kI55kBTI

So if you go on vacation keep your tops on ladies!

If you look at the site there are pictures of women doing various activities and for some strange reason they are all fully dressed.

Back