What would it take to make an engine that runs off cow farts?

Its not like you would have to start from scratch. The hard part of basic vehicle mechanics is already done. Plus just think of the value you could get out of selling fart collectors.

But IMO, the idea is viable. All it takes is storage devices with facility for compression. Methane can then be used like any natural gas engine. Problem is in the capture.

Of course, just a straight vat of legumes and the digestive bacteria could simulate the same function as digestion and produce the methane in an enclosed area.

If they can compress hydrogen and transfer to on-board gas tanks, methane should be a snap.

And immobilizing the cows. Will they spend their lives strapped to a machine?
Noooo. of course we should have an on- board cow pen.
It's not like milking them; methane won't stay in the cow until it's convenient for extraction.
We can use intubated hoses. I would suggest that in order to have sufficient room for driving, only 2 ton trucks should be used with this form of propulsion sytem....:confused:

On a slightly related tack.
We have a lot of potatoes here in Idaho. Several friends of mine have experimented with potato engines. The record distance so far is from Coeur d'Alene to Boise on a 10 lb bag of potatoes....

It also functions on a expulsion propulsion, similar to a potato gun. It tends to get noisy..., people often stop to ask if the engine's timing is off and if the driver needs help.....:oops:

It is recommended not to stand behind the exhaust.

A beneficial side-effect is that the used potatoes are mashed and cooked after they are expelled.

Last edited:
interesting topic!
We can use intubated hoses.
if you intubate you can't feed the cow - you would have to have surgically modified tubes in the neck in order to allow feeding (which creates the methane) that won't clog and allows for freedom of manoeuver. Intubation tubes are invasive (and frightening, especially if the cow is awake and capable of seeing and feeling it)

of course, as you note above: it's smarter, cheaper and easier to just build a vat system (and then eat the cow)

interesting topic!

if you intubate you can't feed the cow - you would have to have surgically modified tubes in the neck in order to allow feeding (which creates the methane) that won't clog and allows for freedom of manoeuver. Intubation tubes are invasive (and frightening, especially if the cow is awake and capable of seeing and feeling it)

of course, as you note above: it's smarter, cheaper and easier to just build a vat system (and then eat the cow)
Nah. Stick a tube down its throat. The esophagus will close around it when it's not passing food, allowing gas to pass out.

I've been intubated (into my stomach) while awake for a day. Indeed, it is invasive and frightening - to the point that the cure is worse than the ailment. But I could eat (or at least slurp).

I've been intubated (into my stomach) while awake for a day. Indeed, it is invasive and frightening - to the point that the cure is worse than the ailment. But I could eat (or at least slurp).
but ya couldn't eat a steak, could you?
(ya see what I did there? :D )

I still say we should build vats and eat the cows.
or rather, let yall eat the cows because I prefer buffalo. with bacon, of course...B-)

Back