What would you do?

What would you do if you saw someone being murdered? The attempted murder in the video is staged. But the spectator responses are not. What would you do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCtU7ULfkY

Interesting that you've posted thsi. I have walked into an attempted murder in progress, not too much unlike the situation in the video. Myself and another person ended up attacking the attacked and pinning him down until the police showed up. That was the day I learned that a knee to the neck does wonders when it comes to pinning someone down.

That video pisses me off though. How can someone just walk away?!?!? This is why our society SUCKS! People don't value our responsibility to each other's well-being.

The attacker's hands are occupied, if he had a gun, he wouldn't be using rope, so I would kick him in the face until he was unconscious. If I did that, and then they told me it was an experiment, I would also punch the other guy in the face.

I wouldn't even try this experiment, it's far too dangerous!

That video pisses me off though. How can someone just walk away?!?!? This is why our society SUCKS! People don't value our responsibility to each other's well-being.

Good question. I don't know how they could walk away either. What do you think of the guy who pulls out his camera and starts filming? I think he should be whipped. But that would be cruel and unusual. Perhaps a nice long government vacation in a prison would be more appropriate for being an accomplice to murder.

Good question. I don't know how they could walk away either. What do you think of the guy who pulls out his camera and starts filming? I think he should be whipped. But that would be cruel and unusual. Perhaps a nice long government vacation in a prison would be more appropriate for being an accomplice to murder.

All I can say is this... "There is a kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." - The Boondock Saints

I do not know what I would do. There is no gun or knife, so this does not look too bad. The first thing the comes to mind is being sure the elevator door does not close, and yelling for help. I do have a strong voice. The guy on the floor looks capable of defending himself, so I may intervene with the idea that, with a little help, the guy could take over. Especially if he called for help, I would be moved to intervene. I do not imagine I would attempt to harm the attacker, beyond a bit on the ear, unless he attempted to harm me. After all, just walking into the scene, I am not sure who is the bad guy, and taking out his eye with my thumb might be over reacting and something I would regret.

Young women who find themselves in these situations and know the young men who are attacking each other, often try to distract the men. This can mean being seductive. At my age, ripping off my blouse would just be shocking, but if it works, it might be worth a try?

Last edited:
I do not know what I would do. There is no gun or knife, so this does not look too bad. The first thing the comes to mind is being sure the elevator door does not close, and yelling for help. I do have a strong voice. The guy on the floor looks capable of defending himself, so I may intervene with the idea that, with a little help, the guy could take over. Especially if he called for help, I would be moved to intervene. I do not imagine I would attempt to harm the attacker, beyond a bit on the ear, unless he attempted to harm me. After all, just walking into the scene, I am not sure who is the bad guy, and taking out his eye with my thumb might be over reacting and something I would regret.

Young women who find themselves in these situations and know the young men who are attacking each other, often try to distract the men. This can mean being seductive. At my age, ripping off my blouse would just be shocking, but if it works, it might be worth a try?

I have never ever objected to a woman ripping her blouse off, and I don’t expect to start any time in the near or distant future. Anytime a woman wants to rip off her clothing, it is fine by me.

I think this is a pointless exercise. I bet if you asked the people in that video who don't help what they would do, their responses wouldn't be any different from the ones found here. We all like to think we'd be the best version of ourselves in a crisis, but that's simply not always the case. Some of us will turn and walk away, even though we'd swear up and down that we wouldn't. Do remember that video a couple years ago of the little girl getting run over multiple times while pedestrians just walked around her? I can't imagine any of those people would have believed they were capable of such callous behavior prior to that moment. That's why examples such as that video are so interesting, and really the only true test of what someone actually would do.

I wouldn't have believed it was real and just got on the elevator to my destination, the venue and murder weapon are unbelievable.

In some EU countries, the official instruction from police authorities for such situations is to not intervene in any way, and call the police.

In some EU countries, the official instruction from police authorities for such situations is to not intervene in any way, and call the police.

So you would let one of the combatants be murdered because by the time the police arrive one could be dead or don't you understand that?

Since I'm always armed I'd point my weapon at them both and tell them to stop then call the police.

I think that is best solution. But not all of us should carry guns. I had a bad experience defending a friend with a gun. Fortunately, her abusive husband did not come until after I had given the gun back to a neighbor. I would have shoot him through the door, if he had come to my door, when my fear level was very high. After coming that close to killing someone, I decided I should not have a gun.

After coming that close to killing someone, I decided I should not have a gun.

Probably a good decision. A gun that is owned by a homeowner is more likely to hurt them than help them, so deciding not to have one can often be a very smart decision.

The camera sounds like a good deal to me. If you were murdering someone and looked up to see yourself making the 6:00 News, you might not be able to complete the murder. At the very least, the prosecution would have the best kind of evidence you can get. But spidergoat's kick to the face also works for me.:D

So you would let one of the combatants be murdered because by the time the police arrive one could be dead or don't you understand that?

Don't attack me.

Contact the Austrian government for their explanation of why they publicly advise people not to intervene when they witness a crime in progress.

Don't attack me.

Contact the Austrian government for their explanation of why they publicly advise people not to intervene when they witness a crime in progress.

Police departments do discourage people from being the hero for their own safety. But there are many people that just could not watch someone else being murdered and do nothing to prevent it. Sometimes they pay the ultimate price and sometimes they become a real hero. I say pull your cell phone out call 911 and then take a picture then let the killer know and run like hell.

Back