Whatever happened to honesty?

Goes to show you that most people will not act properly if they know they can't be held accountable for their actions.

I don't disagree. But it seems that that was the same in the past, yet people would often make deals with only a handshake. What happened? Why is it that people are less trustworthy NOW, as opposed to the past?

Baron Max

Given enough time and the persistent use of helicopters and ambulances that will happen. Let's take a look at helicopter ambulances. Collisions are not forbidden; therefore, they are compulsory. For example:

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/06/30/medical-helicopters-collide-near-arizona-hospital/

Great

Now lets look at "physical science" and the means it has to bypass "behaviour" and see if it has any parallel to the successful passage of an ambulance crashing into a helicopter

;)

I'll paraphrase... lying, cheating, etc. are behaviors available to humans. Our genetic makeup doesn't forbid it and because it is not forbidden, it's compulsory (i.e. it will happen).
that says nothing about an overall decline in a community's ability to adhere to an ideal

Last edited:
Well, wasn't that true back in the ol' days, too? And yet, back then, people could shake hands and it was as good as even the best legal contracts today.

What happened is the question ...not how easy it is.

Baron Max

Times change and people change, sometimes for the better.

I guess its kind of sad we cannot trust each other but at least people are more careful.

Great

Now lets look at "physical science" and the means it has to bypass "behaviour" and see if it has any parallel to the successful passage of an ambulance crashing into a helicopter

;)

I never said bypass... only to look beyond (i.e. go deeper than the abstraction of behavior).

that says nothing about an overall decline in a community's ability to adhere to an ideal

When a community grows, it has less ability to constrain the behavior of its individual members. That's a pure function of entropy and what isn't constrained is compusory. To adapt, a community will enforce process constraints which protect it's members from the compusory behavior of lying and cheating.

I never said bypass... only to look beyond (i.e. go deeper than the abstraction of behavior).
hence calling upon an abstraction to use physical science to go deeper than an "abstraction" bears similarity to a burning ambulance amongst helicopter spare parts

When a community grows, it has less ability to constrain the behavior of its individual members. That's a pure function of entropy and what isn't constrained is compusory. To adapt, a community will enforce process constraints which protect it's members from the compusory behavior of lying and cheating.
great

now establish how dishonesty is the default (or natural) position of a community

striphandler.ashx

(IOW the premises for your argument are tentative - one could just as easily expect an increase in honesty, ..... if one held that due to entropy society would no longer be able to constrain persons to be dishonest)

In short, aspects of sociology remain forever within the parameters of soft science since it doesn't have the reducible terms of hard science.

If you disagree, what do you propose to use to determine the "normal specimen" of society that would make it possible to use words like "entropy" in a meaningful fashion?

Last edited:
I remember a time when you could shake hands over a deal and your word was considered good enough collateral.

Now we need lawyers and "terms and conditions" in fine print to cover your ass.

There was a time when vows meant you could trust the other person. Now we need to decide on prenuptial agreements and consider separate bank accounts before we agree to love and cherish "forever".

So what happened to honesty? Why is it so difficult not only to trust people but also to uphold the trust that people have in you?

There is no such thing as honour anymore. Or at least it no longer has any value to anyone anymore.

There is no such thing as honour anymore. Or at least it no longer has any value to anyone anymore.

ha, as if people from the past were honest or had honor.:D what a myth that is. shows how good they were at stroking people. well i think the percentage was even less in the past than today.

ha, as if people from the past were honest or had honor.:D what a myth that is. shows how good they were at stroking people. well i think the percentage was even less in the past than today.

Maybe you are right about that, but it WAS valued more in the past.

Ah yes of course. The notion of being khuddar [roughly translated as self respecting] has all but vanished from society. Now sycophancy and appearances are more valuable.

Honesty is actually a disadvantage.

hence calling upon an abstraction to use physical science to go deeper than an "abstraction" bears similarity to a burning ambulance amongst helicopter spare parts

I think that's a very incorrect anology. A better one would be stop looking at the forrest and start looking at the governing laws of tree formation.

great

now establish how dishonesty is the default (or natural) position of a community

Both honesty and dishonesty are the natural position of a community.

striphandler.ashx

(IOW the premises for your argument are tentative - one could just as easily expect an increase in honesty, ..... if one held that due to entropy society would no longer be able to constrain persons to be dishonest)

Honesty breeds trust and trust breeds cooperation. As we are a social species, we are inclined to judge the trustworthiness of people. estalishing and maintaining a base of honesty so trust and cooperation can result takes alot of work whereas dishonesty is near effortless especially when the targets are anonymous. Entropy doesn't take the path of highest energy as you are well aware.

In short, aspects of sociology remain forever within the parameters of soft science since it doesn't have the reducible terms of hard science.

If you disagree, what do you propose to use to determine the "normal specimen" of society that would make it possible to use words like "entropy" in a meaningful fashion?

You don't even have to consider "soft science" in this case. It's very well known in physics that anything that is not forbidden is compulsory (this was made very clear in quantum mechanics). There really isn't anything that doesn't follow this pattern. Constraints might be applied to reduce the count of compulsory events or reduce the effects of them; however, they cannot be eliminated. For humans, both honesty and dishonesty are comulsory events; however, honesty is valued more than dishonesty because cooperation (which is one of our major survival advantages) won't function without it. It requires alot of energy to maintain (a low state of entropy).

And I thought it was the forbidden that bred compulsion.

You mean like forbidding your child to play with your gun on the kitchen table? I am talking about reality forbidding things. For example, reality forbids you from transforming into a gaggle of geese 5 seconds ago.

Maybe you are right about that, but it WAS valued more in the past.

Yes, it was more valued. But it was mainly due to people knowing all the other people in the clan, tribe, town, village, etc. If someone was untrustworthy, it would be known quickly and others would no longer deal with him. He'd be effectively ostracized or shunned by the community.

Can you imagine a small group of close friends ostracizing someone in, say, New York City? Or Toronto? It would make no difference to that untrustworthy individual.

See? Just more proof that there's just too fuckin' many people!!!

Baron Max

And I thought it was the forbidden that bred compulsion.

No, or murder would be rampant. Sometimes, we forbid things that aren't necessarily harmful and can in fact be quite beneficial, but that are certainly complicated. Different themes would fall under this category, such as certain drugs and expressions of love. Such restrictions simply won't be followed by everyone. If the restriction isn't permanent but instead only temporary, some people may wait until such a restriction is lifted, but not everyone. I believe the wisest are usually not so keen on breaking restrictions that, while unreasonable, aren't earth shattering, but will instead challenge society into justifying their restrictions.

S.A.M. said:
Honesty is actually a disadvantage.

Is that why you're so adverse to upholding honesty?

Can you cite an example where S.A.M. is shown to be adverse to upholding honesty? S.A.M. may not always be right, but there's a difference between being wrong about something and not supporting what you believe to be true.

No, or murder would be rampant.

It is. All you have to do is put a uniform on it

Sometimes, we forbid things that aren't necessarily harmful and can in fact be quite beneficial, but that are certainly complicated. Different themes would fall under this category, such as certain drugs and expressions of love. Such restrictions simply won't be followed by everyone. If the restriction isn't permanent but instead only temporary, some people may wait until such a restriction is lifted, but not everyone.

give it up scott.:p

I believe the wisest are usually not so keen on breaking restrictions that, while unreasonable, aren't earth shattering, but will instead challenge society into justifying their restrictions.

I think societies go through cycles that reflect their economic conditions. When one is up, there is greater latitude and liberty, then down it goes. Currently we are living in the era of the myth of social equality, a condition that has been going steadily downhill since the 70s.

There is an excellent book called East and West by C Northcote Parkinson, that ideally addresses this issue.

http://www.amazon.com/East-West-Cyril-Northcote-Parkinson/dp/0313229554

Last edited:
scott3x said:
No, or murder would be rampant.

It is. All you have to do is put a uniform on it

The fact that the people who do the most killing are not only legally allowed to do so but jailed if they refuse to 'report for duty' speaks volumes of humanity's reservations concerning killing fellow human beings. Even under such conditions, I remember the case of one U.S. soldier who reported for duty but asked, and was allowed, to carry an unloaded weapon. I believe during one of his downtimes he finally fled to Canada. Ofcourse, Canada has been deporting many of these soldiers, something that I and many canadians (even some politicians) aren't proud of:
Members of Parliament press for government to stop deportation of U.S. solidiers

S.A.M. said:
scott3x said:
Sometimes, we forbid things that aren't necessarily harmful and can in fact be quite beneficial, but that are certainly complicated. Different themes would fall under this category, such as certain drugs and expressions of love. Such restrictions simply won't be followed by everyone. If the restriction isn't permanent but instead only temporary, some people may wait until such a restriction is lifted, but not everyone.

give it up scott.:p

Whatever do you mean, dear? ;) I think I know what you're implying, but you will note that the same principle applies to many things. I have brought the subject up frequently, whether it's the war on drugs, the restrictions placed on our knowledge concerning 9/11, paranormal activities, prostitution, and.. other subjects ;-).

S.A.M. said:
scott3x said:
I believe the wisest are usually not so keen on breaking restrictions that, while unreasonable, aren't earth shattering, but will instead challenge society into justifying their restrictions.

I think societies go through cycles that reflect their economic conditions. When one is up, there is greater latitude and liberty, then down it goes. Currently we are living in the era of the myth of social equality, a condition that has been going steadily downhill since the 70s.

There is an excellent book called East and West by C Northcote Parkinson, that ideally addresses this issue.
http://www.amazon.com/East-West-Cyril-Northcote-Parkinson/dp/0313229554

Looks interesting.

Can you cite an example where S.A.M. is shown to be adverse to upholding honesty? S.A.M. may not always be right, but there's a difference between being wrong about something and not supporting what you believe to be true.

You're probably right, I don't suspect Sam knows anything about honesty enough to be adverse to it.

Back