What's on your iPod?

Hey cossy.

It happens sometimes. For some reason i cant rate up on youtube either. I can comment but my rates dont show with the new format. At least last time i checked.

You had just posted this song above and it was removed, what are they doing at youtube anyway, trying to drive people away?:shrug:

It doesn't work, it was removed.
It happens sometimes.
You had just posted this song above and it was removed, what are they doing at youtube anyway, trying to drive people away?
The usual reason for purging of a video is copyright infringement.

Record companies and music publishers often don't object to the posting of copyrighted work on YouTube because it can be construed as free advertising. The music can't be easily uploaded to an iPod or other player, and the video format is too small to compete with TV, so anybody who likes it will be motivated to buy it.

Nonetheless, occasionally they do object. One couple hired a professional producer to "produce" their wedding reception, with songs that were chosen for each mood and amusing dancing that was--well not exactly choreographed, but guided by skillful amateurs. He shot it on video and the couple posted it on YouTube. The producer had it pulled. He pointed out the fine print in their contract, specifying that he owns the copyright to the video and was not going to let millions of people watch it for free. I think it was a bad call because it was free advertising for his business, but hey it was his call.

A friend of mine shot a video of her son's birthday party, including totally amateur performances (by young teenagers) of several songs. The owner of the copyright to one song objected and had it pulled. He even sent my friend a letter promising that if she ever did this again he would take legal action. Ironically the only reason he even knew that song was on YouTube is that she chose that particular song's title to put in the title of the video.

Copyright law has many intricacies. "Happy Birthday to You" is not an old traditional song, but rather one that was written around 100 years ago. The composers didn't make a lot of money off of it but they sold the copyright to a business that made it popular. It's been resold a couple of times but Time-Warner, the current copyright holder, is draconian about enforcing the rule against performing it for profit without their approval. In 2008 they collected $2M in royalties on it. Disney paid $5K to use it in an attraction at Epcot Center. Do not sing "Happy Birthday to You" on a video you post on YouTube, or you will hear from these guys!

Have you noticed that since 1998, when the U.S. copyright laws were strengthened, you NEVER hear people singing "Happy Birthday to You" in movies or on TV? The producers don't want to pay the royalty fees. Have you noticed that when you tell the waiter in a restaurant that it's your birthday, the staff no longer comes out to sing "Happy Birthday to You," but sings some other lame birthday song? They've been going around busting restaurant owners for copyright violation, since the singing is construed as being part of what your bill covers, so it's a paid performance.

While there is considerable controversy within the legal system about the copyright on "Happy Birthday to You," it won't expire until 2030 unless a court case changes it.

Have you noticed that when you tell the waiter in a restaurant that it's your birthday, the staff no longer comes out to sing "Happy Birthday to You," but sings some other lame birthday song?

Tell that to Benihana for they still sing happy b day to those celebrating it.

Black and White Night

Roy Orbison, Black and White Night.

Now playing, "In Dreams".

Back