What's the nature of light?

How true can be the following statement ?

Quantum Mechanics is made up of two stages:

1- a probabilities stage and
2- a resolution stage.

Wave-particle duality is in the first stage. The resolution will finally tell us if light is a wave, a particle or something else.

Last edited:
Really, we don't need that level of complexity to explain what's going on here. It's easier just to assume that for a light source emitting light in all directions, individual photons are like particles that are emitted in random directions. So, what you'll find at the microscopic level is that the intensity of the light isn't adjustable continuously, but rather it adjusts in "steps" equivalent to the energy of one photon. In other words, it is quantised. If light was just a wave, then we'd expect the intensity to vary in a continuous way.

Only occasionally, assuming your detector only covers one portion of the spherical surface surrounding the light source.

In the sound wave the intensity of sound is determined by the maximum distance that each air molecule is displaced from its equilibrium position as the wave goes past. With light, the intensity is determined by the maximum amount by which the value of the electric or magnetic field at a given point in space varies as the wave goes past. That's the wave picture. In the particle picture, the intensity is determined by how many photons go past that point in space every second.
Fascinating! I'll need to think on this data.

Thank you.

How true can be the following statement ?

Quantum Mechanics is made up of two stages:

1- a probabilities stage and
2- a resolution stage.

Wave-particle duality is in the first stage. The resolution will finally tell us if light is a wave, a particle or something else.
No. The wavelike stage is the probability stage. The resolution ("wave function collapse", as a result of an interaction) leads to a particle-like outcome.

The wave function is a bit like a wave of the square root of a probability distribution: if you multiply it by its complex conjugate to get the square modulus, you have the probability density.

However measurements of individual QM entities produce a particle-like result, subject to precision limitations governed by the uncertainty principle.

Is light a wave or a particle ?
Light isn't a wave nor particle.
Light behaves like a wave or a particle depending on the experiment being carried out.

Light is both .

The best way I know to understand this is in water .

The particle in water is the H2O molecule . The wave is the density of H2O . So an ocean wave is both particle and wave .

Light is both .

The particle in water is the H2O molecule . The wave is the density of H2O . So an ocean wave is both particle and wave .

But, in the water the molecule doesn't move with the wave, in the light the particle moves with the wave.

river said:
Light is both .

But, in the water the molecule doesn't move with the wave, in the light the particle moves with the wave.

I see your point .

But if that were true , then why is there a distribution of light three dimensionally . As in light filling a room .

Back