Where do we go from here?

Hey blackholesun, hey Stryderunknown,
How did you know I was wearing sweatpants under my armour? Perhaps you're tapping into your psychic potential. In any event I was also wearing full length plate greaves,like awkward chaps, and 3 layers of arm/torso protection;padded leather,chainmail,full plate, and the heaviest,bulkiest full helm ,with crappy suspension, in the troope. The worst of all was those damnable medieval shoes. I broke my pinkie toe on opening day. Well the show must go on....
Now Roger,the producer, said it was 150# of gear, but Stephen, my fighting partner, said he weighed his at 180# and we were comparably equipped,although he had the good helm. At the time,5 yrs ago, I was conservatively 205#. I recall I lost 10# during the season,all sweat. A little math-150+205=355 +5 justifiably convienient pounds=360#/6 for gravity reduction=60#! on with the show.
I spent 2-90minute/day through summer, performing a choreographed show wherein I fought,tumbled,jumped and died. I had to replace my leather straps more than anyone, huahh. At a point in the play I had to leave the field of honor, so I always found a clearing through the 'rotunda' and jumped over the protective bar seperating the audience from the players,huahh again. This bar came as high as my bellybutton, I would say 3' easy.

Pause narrative

I am not well versed in the classics, and I haven't read his 'dialogues' a dozen times, but Socrates and his 'know thyself' catchphrase resonates with us even today. Have you heard that when he went to the oracle of Delphi, the gods mouthpiece proclaimed him the smartest of men, because he professed not to know anything? Anyway, thats the legend. I am definitely no Socrates, but his ideals are still worthy of a line or two. Truly, I am not invested in this exploration of the truth. What do I have to gain by being right or wrong?
But you, blackholesun have tipped your hand -poker term,another story. You seem very much vested on a comfortable outcome. You have judged my intellect somehow inferior,and my research skills inadaquate and have decided you know this answer. Keep at it indeed! :mad: I curb my toungue only because you acknowledged my critical thinking skills, and in my hubris I may be seeing a slight that is unmeant, certainly unwarranted. Of course I will keep at it! The implications of this apparent falsehood are incredible.

Resume narrative

I realize this is not an exact comparison, and I wouldn't expect Buzz and Neil to have my martial training. I spent 2 years in competitive fighting at 143# in the late 80's, but thats another story. But I can tell you I've seen the film and witnessed their range of motion. Although I cannot speak to pressurization-more on this later. With but a slight bend,not nearly the 90 degrees in the film, and some flexibility in the in the ankle,they showed enough, a powerful thrust may be generated. Now remove 300# from my jumps on earth and put me on the moon with similar muscle mass, I'll spot you 10% loss due to space atrophy. Do you still contend a 19" hop is all a fit astronaught can muster? I don't find that credible whatsoever.

I must go, but I shall post a kinder refutation of some interesting issues you have brought forth later.

My friendship to the seekers of Sciforums,

Insanely Elite

Good read Elite, and just adding amo for the bigger jumps. :D

Stryder, you may want to reconsider your thoughts. Two other properties of the jump would be mass, and inertia. Counting all the gear there had to be a lot of mass.

Their shuffling antic stride because of the stiffness of the suit is reasonable. Yet what I want to see are the images where they actually DID IT. Come on people, wouldn’t you try a few practice jumps? Carefully at first, then a bit more boldly? I would. My money is that if there are any pictures of them doing this, is on hold because they did play at times.
Any way I think they went.
Yet, there is a reason that the space exploration with people stopped there. But with what I know now, I still want to go.

Truly people, Where do we go from here? The armchair astronauts and astronomers such as myself eagerly await each new photo. Each new exploration mission. I am truly amazed at the signs I see in the heavens and what I am learning. This is far greater than as a kid and rockets first started orbiting things over earth. A great 19 inch flat screen, .21 high resolution CRT monitor is a good way to look at the heavens.
Besides, its raining outside in this miserable Pacific Northwest where we have web feet. :p

Just tossing in a bit more to think about. :)

Craterchains,
I don't think I need to reconsider, but maybe add to what I originally said.

If Buzz and Neil were doig these "Super Hops" to show boat, don't you think it would have implied a potential danger to themselves, since one slip on a rock or skid in moondust and they could of potentially caused a rupture in their suit. (which is obviously something your going to think twice about doing)

There is also the factor that the suits limbs used a kind of balljoint hinge which aren't the easiest things to manipulate, it's not a simple natural movement when moving, it's not fluid but mechanical.

Inerita is what would scare me from making too big of leaps that's for sure. The last thing I would want to do is get a big hop going forward and landing a faceplant onto a nice big moon rock...ouche.

Insanely Elite said:
. Do you still contend a 19" hop is all a fit astronaught can muster? I don't find that credible whatsoever.

Yeah. for many reasons. They were wearing a heavy spacesuit. It was pressurised and didn't allow them much flexibility, and lastly, and the most important, the mission wasn't about going to the moon and seeing how high they could jump!

They were professionals, who got on with the tasks they were assigned. they didn't play kangaroo just to satisfy a few idiots that don't understand physics questions.

The moon landings were in the middle of the cold war. If the USA hadn't been, and it was all a hoax, you'd have heared about it from the Soviets. That didn't happen, so we know it's true.

PS, I used to do battle re-enactment too. Nothing I wore remotely approximated a space suit. NASA didn't issue Buzz and Neil with armour, did they? So your point is tangential at best. Try harder.

Last edited:
Back