Your favorite rock guitar solo

I would like to thank the OP for saying favorite instead of best.

Not any particular ones...

but:

Iron Maiden-Dance of death
Hendrix- Little wing, Purple Haze, All along the watchtower (I think it had a solo, can't be sure).
ACDC- Black Ice.

Most of Tom Morello's short-and-sweet solos on Audioslave's first CD. Some real pushing of the envelope there.

You classic rock fans need to listen to some contemporary music. It isn't all disco.

that is incredible. i can only imagine what it must sound like on vinyl or actually having been there. compression really sucks for good audio but at least it is something.

do you know if you can get this cd cosmic?

[edit: no that is duane alone.]

As it stands now, that is the best solo. some clips on youtube compare duane and carlos santana and i have to say carlos is right there with him but then carlos must have been heavily influenced by duane.

Last edited:
You are right. On the album insert, it says Eric Clapton but now that I carefully watched the video you are correct. Thanks for that.

some clips on youtube compare duane and carlos santana and i have to say carlos is right there with him but then carlos must have been heavily influenced by duane.
I don't think they sounded very similar in their early days. A lot of people were influenced by both of them so it stands to reason that they would have picked up on each other's sound.

Of course sheer virtuosity is not what makes music enjoyable, but Santana really doesn't have a lot of chops. He has a very narrow style and a lot of guitarists, even non-career musicians, imitate it perfectly. In Mexico it's practically a genre unto itself. Deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle up around that very high G.

I think both Santana and Allman are in the same category as George Harrison, Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, David Gilmour, Frank Zappa, Tom Verlaine, etc. They make wonderful music but they're not virtuosos of their instrument. They're not in the same league as Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Adrian Gurvitz, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Tom Morello, Yngvie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and all the other guys who can set a guitar on fire and make it jump through a hoop.

Back